Do you know what a cultural relic is? It is any object, building or item that was made sometime in the past. It m
ay be many thousands of years old or it may be a few hundred. It may or may not valuable.
It tells us something of the way people lived at the time it was made. This may be because of its method of manufacture or how the item was used.
Look at the pictures below and discuss what they are and whether they are cultural relics or not.
Ming Dynasty vase
Taj Mahal (In India)
ivory dragon boat
Mogao Caves (In China)
The Pyramids (in Egypt)
The Sydney Opera (in Australia)
1. Do you know these famous places? If you know, what do you know about them? 2. Which one do you like to visit? Why? 3. What makes a city great and famous? (a long history; cultural relics; many great people; important events taking place there)
1. Have you ever seen a piece of amber? What do you know about it? 2. Look at the title and the picture of the
reading passage and predict what it is
about. Then skim it quickly and see if
you were right.
In Search of the Amber Room (Prussia)
The Amber Room was made of almost seven thousand tons of amber. It was built in Prussia. Then, the king, Frederick William I, sent it to Peter the Great as a gift of friendship. And it soon became part of the winter palace. Later, Catherine Ⅱ had her artists add more details to its design. In September, 1941 the Nazi German army secretly stole the Amber Room and then it disappeared mystically.
Task 1: Fast –reading Read the passage quickly and answer the questions. 1. What does the text tell us about amber? 2. How many tons of amber were used to make the Amber Room? We don’t know.
3. What else were used to make the room besides amber? Gold and jewels.
4. When and why did Frederick William I give the Amber Room to Peter the Great? In 1716. It was designed for the palace of Frederick I firstly.
5. What did Peter the Great give in return? A troop of his best soldiers. 6. What did Catherine the Great do with the Amber Room? She asked her artists to add more details to it. 7. When and how was the Amber Room supposed to have been lost? In September 1941, some of the Nazis secretly stole the room itself.
Task 2: Careful reading Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answers.
1. The king of Prussia who gave the Amber Room as a gift to Russia was ___. B A. Frederick I B. Frederick William I C. Peter the Great D. Catherine II
2. The king of Prussia gave the Amber
Room to Russia because _____. D
A. he wanted to marry Catherine II
B. he was kind
C. he needed better soldiers
D. he wanted to make friends
3. The Amber Room was stolen by ___. B A. Russian soldiers B. German soldiers C. People in Konigsberg D. People in St Petersburg 4. In 1941, the city of Konigsberg was in ___. A A. Germany B. Russia C. Sweden D. France
5. The Russians didn’t hide the Amber Room because ______. C A. they were at war B. the couldn’t find a place
C. the German soldiers arrived too soon
D. no train could take it away
Task 3: Main idea of each paragraph Paragraph 1. How was the Amber Room made?
Paragraph 2. Why did the King of
Prussia give the Amber Room to the
Czar of Russia as a gift?
Paragraph 3. How did the Amber Room become one of the wonders of the world? Paragraph 4. How did the Amber Room get lost? Paragraph 5. How was a new Amber Room built?
Task 4 Fill in the form:
Year What happened to the Amber Room 1716
In 1716 , Frederick William I gave the Amber Room to Peter the Great , as a gift of friendship from Prussian to the Russian people. In 1770, the Amber Room was completed the way Catherine Ⅱ wanted it.
In September, 1941, the Nazi German and Russia were at war, and the Amber Room was missing.
In the spring of 2003, a new Amber 2003 Room was built at the Summer Palace, and it was 300 years old.
Description of the Amber Room Material 1._____ Amber Color Yellow-brown fancy style Design In the 2. ______ popular in those days Decorations Gold and jewels Length About 3. 4 metres ______
History of the Amber Room 4. Designed for the palace of Frederick I. ________ Given to Peter the Great by Frederick William Ⅰand became part of the winter palace Czar’s 5. ___________. Moved to a palace outside St Petersburg by CatherineⅡ and 6.more details ____________ were added to it.
Some furniture and 7. _______________ small art objects were removed from the Amber Room by the Russians in wartime, but some of the Nazis stole 8. _______________. the room itself A new Amber Room was 9. ___________ ready / built for the people of St Petersburg when celebrated they 10. ___________ the 300th birthday of their city.
Read the text again and tell whether the following statements are true (T) or false (F). 1. It took some best artists about ten years to make the old Amber Room. T 2. The Amber Room served as a reception hall for the guests of Frederick I. F
3. The Amber Room was taken apart, put inside some wooden boxes and taken away by the Nazis. T 4. The new Amber Room was built at the winter palace. F
Post-reading The characteristics of the passage
This passage tells the history of the Amber Room in the order of time so that we can clearly know what happened to it. Besides, the passage uses the Past Tense.
Listen to the tape and follow it to read the text.
What should we do to protect our cultural relics?
1. rare: 稀罕的, 稀有的 a rare disease 罕见的病 2. valuable 贵重的, 有价值的 Gold is valuable because it is a scarce metal.
value n. 价值 be of great value= be very valuable of+ 抽象n. = adj. be of use=be useful be of help=be helpful be of interest=be interesting 句型转换 (of + 抽象n. = adj.) 1) The meeting is important. The meeting is _________________． of importance 2) The cultural relics are very valuable. The cultural relics are ________________． of great value
3. survive vt. &vi. 幸存 Fortunately he survived the traffic accident. Camels can survive for many days with no water. survivor (n.) 幸存者 survival (n.) 幸存 The helicopter picked up all the survivors ________. They prayed for the _______ of the sailors survival
4. 情态动词+have done (对过去发生的事 情的推测) 若要表示对过去的情况进行肯定的推测， 用must have done。 can/could not/never have done可用于对过 的情况进行否定的推测。
could He paid for a seat when he _____ have entered free. (could /would / must / need) I couldn’t _______ have been more than six years old when the accident happened.
(shouldn’t / couldn’t / mustn’t /
5. gift n. 礼物; 天赋
He has got lots of birthday gifts.
He is a man of gifts. 他多才多艺。
The boy has a gift for music.
gifted (adj.) 有天赋的
6. amazing adj. 令人惊喜的 an amazing achievement/discovery 惊人的成就/发现 amazed adj. 吃惊的, 惊奇的 I was amazed at his stupidity.
Visitors were _____ at the _____ soaring drive of our shipbuilders. A. amazed; amazing B. amazed; amazed C. amazing; amazing D. amazing; amazed
amazement n. 惊奇 to one’s amazement 使某人大为惊 奇的是 To my amazement, he was able to recite the poem. in amazement ( in surprise ) 惊奇地
7. This gift was the Amber Room, which was given this name because several tons of amber were used to make it. [考点] which引导非限制性定语从句。 [考例1] The road conditions there turned out to be very good, ______ was more than we could expect. (2008 全国卷II) A. it B. what C. which D. that
[点拨] which引导非限制性定语从句， 指代前面整个句子的内容; that一般 不引导非限制性定语从句; it, what都 不能引导定语从句。
[考例2] The Science Museum, ______ we visited during a recent trip to Britain, is one of London’s tourist attractions. (江苏 2008) A. which B. what C. that D. where [点拨] which代指the Science Museum， 在从句中作宾语；where也可引导非限 制性定语从句，但它在从句中作状语。
8. design (v. / n.) designed (1) They ________ the building carefully. (2) The experiment ____________ test the is designed to new drug. (打算将……用作……) (3) I like the ______ of the new school. design (4) Children above 12 are able to take part designed in skiing or other activities ________ (design) for them.
总结： be designed to do 目的是 be designed for 打算做……用
9. fancy adj. 奇特的；异样的 (1) fancy clothes 新奇服装 (2) Fancy meeting you here! 想不到在这儿见到你了! (3) I don’t fancy walking in the snow. 我不喜欢在雨中行走。
have a fancy for… 爱好,爱上,入迷
fancy sb. doing sth. 想象某人做某事
10. in… style in the style of 以…… 的风格 She bought a painting in the style of Picasso.
11. It was also a treasure decorated with gold and jewels, which took the country’s best artists about ten years to make. [点拨] 本句是一个主从复合句。 逗号前 为主句，其中“decorated with gold and jewels”为过去分词短语作treasure的后 置定语；逗号后为which 引导的非限制性 定语从句，修饰先行词treasure。take sb. some time表示“花了某人一些时间”。 这个结构也可改写为句型：it takes sb. some time to do sth.。
如： The job was very difficult, which took the workers ten months to do. 这项工作十分困难，它花费了工人们十 个月的时间。 It took me quite a long time to understand the meaning of the painting. 我花了相当长的时间才理解了那幅画的 意义。
12. However, the next King of Prussia, Frederick William Ⅰ, to whom the amber room belonged, decided not to keep it. [考点] 介词+关系代词引导的非限制性定 语从句。 [考例1] He was educated at the local high school, ______ he went on to Beijing University. (江苏2007) A. after which B. after that C. in which D. in that
[点拨] 根据句子意思可知从句的动作发 生在主句之后，所以用介词after, which 指代的是前面的整个句子。 [考例2] Last week，only two people came to look at the house， ______ wanted to buy it. (安徽2007) A． none of them B． both of them C． none of whom D． neither of whom
[点拨] 根据句子意思可知定语从句的 先行词是only two people, 这样就可 以确定应选neither 或both, 根据句子 结构可知后面句子作定语从句，故选 D。
belong to 属于……，是……的成员， （不用被动式，不用进行时，to为介词， 后加名词、代词作宾语） In fact, I don’t know which dictionary belongs to me. I used to belong to a youth club. China is a country belonging to the Third World.
13. in return 回报, 作为报酬 What can we do for them in return for all the help they have given us? 我们将怎样来报答他们所给予我们的 种种帮助呢? I gave him some books in return for his assistance. in turn 轮流地, 依次; 反过来 by turns 轮流地, 时而……时而…… in return for 作为对……的报答
类似词组： in turn 依次，轮流 in need 在贫穷中地，缺衣少食地 in secret 秘密地 in peace 平平安安地 in particular 尤其是，特别是 in general 大体上 in trouble 处于不幸，麻烦中
14. 区别：state, country, nation, 三个词都 表示“国家”: state则重于政权, country 则重于疆土, 而nation 则重于民族 ? Our ________ is larger than Japan. country ? Our Chinese ______ is playing an nation important role in the world now. ? Anyone who gives out the _____ state secret will be punished seriously.
15. troop n. （尤指移动中的人，动物之） 群，团 troops 军队，士兵 in troops 成群 a troop of deer 一群鹿 troops of visitors 一群一群的访问者 vi 成群移动，成群结队地走 The students trooped into their room.
16. serve as 用作, 适合 That cup will serve as a sugar bowl.
serve 服务, 供职
serve under the king
serve for 为谁服务
I have served for this company for 2
17. add----to 把……添加到 add up 合计，把……加起来 add to 增加，增添 add up to 合计是，总起来就意味着 Add up 3, 4 and 5, and you will get 12. I didn’t want to add to my mother’s misery.痛苦，苦恼，不幸 She added some salt to the soup. These figures add up to 270.
18. In 1770 the room was completed the way she wanted. [点拨] the way 后接定语从句时，有三种 形式： 1）省略关系代词； 2）用关系代词that连接； 3）用in which连接。另外，本句中the way前省略了in。
如： She was pleased with the way （that / in which） he had accepted her criticism. 她对他接受批评的态度很满意。 We admired him for the way (that / in which) he faces the difficulties. 我们欣赏他面对困难的方式。
19. light: v. 照亮,点亮 n. 光,光源,灯 adj.颜色浅的轻的明亮的, light的过去式和过去分词同形,既可以用 lighted又可以用lit。但是作定语修饰名 词时, 应使用lighted。发光的，燃烧的 e.g. a lighted match / light / candle She took the lighted candle into the dark room and immediately the room was lighted/ lit.
consider … (to be / as) … I consider him (to be ) my best friend. He considers himself intelligent. We consider it impolite to talk while eating. (2).考虑 consider sth. / doing We considered his suggestion. He is considering studying abroad.
21. 介词+名词 (表状态) at war/work/home/table on show/duty/sale/holiday/fire/watch in trouble/danger/battle/doubt under repair/discussion/construction
22. remove (1).Please remove your bag from the seat so that I can sit down. 请把你的包从座位上拿走那样我就可以坐下。 remove… from… 把……从某处移开 (2).The doctor tried to remove the patient's fear. 那医生尽力地消除病人的恐惧。 (3).Please remove your shoes before coming in. 进屋前请脱鞋。
remove & move共性：两者均可用作动 词，表示“移动”。 remove侧重于“拿开，取走” move表示“移动，搬动”，侧重于指改 变 位置。 Who has moved my book? 谁动我的书了？ Don't move, or I'll shoot. 不许动!否则我就开枪了。
23. There’s no doubt that…毫无疑问…… There’s no need to do / for sth. / sb. There’s no possibility that… (It’s) no wonder (that)…难怪…… doubt也可作及物动词，“怀疑，不信”, (1) doubt sth. I doubt the truth of it. 我怀疑它的真实性。 (2) 在肯定句中常接whether / if 从句，在 否定句和疑问句中常接 that 从句
Do you doubt ____ she will succeed? that I doubt _________ he will keep his word. if/whether I have no doubt ____ he will win the that game.
[考例] Some researchers believe that there is no doubt ______ a cure for AIDS will be found. (广东 2005) A. which B. that C. what D. whether [点拨] There is no doubt that ... 为固 定用法，意为“毫无疑问……”。
24. remain (1) vi. 留下, 遗留 I went to the city, but my brother remained at home. (2) link-verb. 后接n. /adj. /介词短语/ 表位置的adv. My friend became a boss, but I remained a teacher. The death of the old man remained unknown. The problem remains to be discussed.
Nothing remains but to send the invitation out. (只要……就行了) It only remains for me to sign the paper that you gave me. (某人所要做的只是某 事) He bought a new book with the _________ (剩下的) 40 yuan. remaining =He bought a new book with the 40 yuan ___. (剩下的) left
[考例1] Although he has taken a lot of medicine, his health ______ poor. (上海2002春) A. proves B. remains C. maintains D. continues [点拨] remain 意为“仍然是”，后接形 容词作表语。prove 证明；maintain 维 持；continue 继续。
[考例2] It was already past midnight and only three young men ______ in the tea house. (安徽2006) A. left B. remained C. delayed D. deserted [点拨] remain 意为“停留; 逗留”。 delay 耽搁；desert 遗弃。
25. former adj. 以前的, 从前的 her former husband 她的前夫 n. 前者 Of the two possibilities, the former
seems more likely.
26. worth, worthy, worth-while都为adj. 意为“值得” ? worth: be worth + n. 当名词为金钱 时, 表示“…… 值得……” be worth doing sth. “……某事值得被做” The question is not worth discussing again and again.
? worthy: be worthy of +n. 当名词为抽 象名词时表示 “……值得……” to be worthy of attention 值得注意 ? be worthy to be done “某事值得被做” The question is not worthy to be discussed again and again.
? worth-while: be worth-while to do sth. “值得做某事” It is worth-while doing sth.
典型例题 It is not ____ to discuss the question again and again. A. worth B. worthy C. worth-while D. worth while 答案C. 由worth的用法可知，此句只 适合词组be worth-while to do sth.。 因此选C。
I. 根据下列各句句意及所给单词的首字母或 汉语提示, 写出该单词的正确形式。 1. The gloves were _______ (设计) for designed extremely cold climates. 2. I wouldn’t tell lies to you; that’s not my _______ (风格). style 3. The woman was delighted at the recovery jewels of her stolen _______ (珠宝). 4. There is no _______ (怀疑) that we will be doubt successful.
Reception 5. _________ (接收效果) of TV programs is unsatisfactory here. fancy 6. I don’t f_______ walking in the rain. artist 7. The a_______ showed me his paintings. 8. He is very formal with everyone; he f_______ never joins in a laugh. honey 9. No bees, no h_______; no work, no money. 10. T_______ were sent to protect the Oil Troops Ministry against surprise attack.
II. 用所给单词的适当形式填空。 1. It was _______ (amaze) that he knew amazing nothing about the event. 2. That shop has a fine _______ (select) selection of cakes. 3. Our _______ (wood) sofa seems not wooden very comfortable. 4. We haven’t told our friends about our removal _______(remove) to London. artist 5. His dream of becoming an _______ (art) has come true.
secretly 6. Two leaders _______ (secret) flew to that country to solve the problem. 7. It is ________(doubt) whether he can doubtful carry on his tasks as president for the next five years. 8. Why is it that he _______(rare) rarely mentions his childhood?
III. 翻译 1.不到十分钟的时间他就完成了作业。 (less than) He finished his homework in less than ten minutes. 2. 你和我属于不同的班级。 (belong to) You and I belong to different classes. 3. 我送给他一份礼物以回报他对我的帮 助。(in return for) I sent him a present in return for his help.
4. 这个国家与邻国已打了两年仗了。(at war) The country has been at war with its neighbor for two years. 5. 毫无疑问他会来帮助你的。(there is no doubt) There is no doubt that he will come to help you.
6. 这所房子真的值得买。(worth) The house is really worth buying. 7. 商务信函应该用正式文体。(in...style) The business letter should be written in a formal style.
1. Remember the useful words and
2. Prepare for the next period.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。