Body Languague and Non-Verbal comunications
Grammar 1-1 Look at these sentences from the passage. 1. If you say the word
“communication”, most people think of words and sentences. 2. We use “learned” body language when we are introduced to strangers.
Now tick the true statements. 1. describe common situations. 2. describe impossible situations. 3. use if or when to introduce the situation. 4. explain the result of the situation in the other part of the sentence. 5. use the present simple tense in both parts of the sentence.
Grammar 1 –2 find more examples of sentences with if or when in the passage?
?If our right hand is busy greeting someone, it can’t be holding a weapon. ?If you shake hands with someone, you show you trust them. ?When we greet someone, we put the right hand over the left and bow slightly. ?We shake hands when we make a deal.
Grammar 1 – 3 Match the two parts of these sentences about body language in Europe or America. Keys: 1. E 2. C 3. B 4. F 5. D 6. A
1. If you say the word “communication”, most people think of words and sentences. 2. Unless it rains, the game will be played. 3. You can go swimming on condition (that) you don't go too far from the river bank. 4. Supposing it rains, shall we continue the sports meeting? 5. He will sign the contract provided we offer more favorable terms.
条件状语从句常由 if, unless, in case,
on condition that, as long as,
provided (that), providing (that), suppose (that), supposing (that) 等
1. If you use your head, you’ll find a way. 2. If you don’t obey the rules, you’ll be punished. 3. If you are asked to Australian homes, you will probably eat outside and cook meat or fish on an open air.
so long as 1. As / So long as we don’t lose heart, we’ll find a way to overcome the difficulty. 2. So long as you keep the book clean, you may borrow it.
In case he gives me a phone call, tell him that I will call him back.
unless 1. Don’t come unless I telephone. 2. You will fail unless you work hard. Suppose/supposing 1. Supposing she doesn’t come, what shall we do? 2. Supposing he can’t come, who will do the work?
Provided/providing 1. She will go provided her friends can go also. 2. He will do the work providing you pay him.
1. — Have you got any idea for the summer vacation? — I don’t mind where we get ___ there’s sun, sea and beach. (2008 全国I) A. as if B. as long as C. now that D. in order that 2. A small car is big enough for a family of three ____ you need more space for baggage. (2008 全国II) A. once B. because C. if D. unless
3. Please remind me of the meeting again tomorrow ______ I forget.(2008 上海春) A. thought B. so that C. in case D. until 4. — Do you have a minute? I’ve got something to tell you. — Ok, ___ you make it short. (2008 安徽) A. now that B. if only C. as long as D. every time
5. Owen wouldn’t eat anything _____ he cooked it himself. (2009 四川) A. until B. since C. unless D. while 6. — Shall we have our picnic tomorrow? — _____ it doesn’t rain. (2009 山东) A. Until B. While C. Once D. If
7. The medicine works more effectively ____ you drink some hot water after taking it. (2009 浙江) A. as B. until C. although D. if 8. You may use the room as you like ___ you clean it up afterwards. (2009 北京) A. so far as B. so long as C. in case D. even if
Grammar 2 Adverbial clause of concession
(1) though, although
Though/Although he was worn out, (still) he kept on working. 虽然他已经精疲力竭, 但仍然继续工作。 Though/Although he is very old, he is quite strong. 他虽然年纪大了, 身体还很健壮。
(3) “no matter+疑问词” “疑问词 +ever” ……都……; 不管……都…… No matter what happened, he would not
mind. 无论发生了什么, 他都不会介意的。 No matter who you are, you must keep the law. Whatever you say, I won’t believe you.
I’ll eat whatever you give me. 你给我吃什么, 我就吃什么。 Whoever comes will be welcome. 不管谁来都受到欢迎。 book p27
Complete the sentences with whoever, wherever, whenever or however. 1. _________ I feel lonely, I think about Whenever you. 2. ________ he is, he is very rude to me. Whoever 3. _________ I go, I always meet Wherever interesting people. 4. You can invite _______ you like to the whoever party.
5. ________ late you arrive, I’ll come However and meet. 6. I feel shy whenever she says hello to ________ me. 7. I hear that song whenever I switch ________ on the radio. 8. ________ much I study, I find these However exercises difficult.
(4) even if, even though 即使……, 纵使… We’ll make a trip even if/though the weather is bad. 即使天气不好, 我们也要作一次旅行。 Even if he is poor, she loves him. (=He may be poor, yet she loves him.) 即使他很穷, 但她还是爱他。 Even though he is poor, she loves him. (=He is poor, yet she loves him. ) 尽管他很穷, 但她还是爱她。
(5) whether...or... “不论是否……”, “不管是……还是……”。 You’ll have to attend the ceremony whether you’re free or busy. 不管你忙不忙, 都要参加这个典礼。 Whether you believe it or not, it’s true. 无论你是否相信, 这都是真的。
Choose the best answers. 1. ____ you’ve tried it, you can’t imagine how pleasant it is. (06北京) A. Unless B. Because C. Although D. When
2. --- How long do you think it will be ______ China sends a manned spaceship to the moon? --- Perhaps two or three years. (06福建) A. when B. until C. that D. before
5. I had just stepped out of the bathroom and was busily drying myself with a towel ___ I heard the steps. ( 06湖南 ) A. while B. when C. since D. after
6. _____ environmental damage is done, it takes many years for the ecosystem (生态系统) to recover. ( 06江苏 ) A. Even if B. If only C. While D. Once
7. He was about halfway through his meal _____ a familiar voice came to his ears. (06辽宁) A. why B. where C. when D. while
8. ___ he has limited technical knowledge, the old worker has a lot of experience. ( 06全国I ) A. Since B. Unless C. As D. Although
copyright ©right 2010-2020。