Unit 3 Looking good, feeling good
（一）教材分析 本单元以 looking good, feeling good 为话题，旨在通过单元学习，使学生了解如何 气色好，感觉好。从 Amy 冒着生命危险减肥的事例，让学生深刻领悟出健康的价值，以及社 会上人与人之间的友谊和关爱的重要性。 能通过阅读讨论了解保持健康的各种方法， 鼓励和 帮助同学
朋友积极参加体育锻炼，合理饮食，养成良好的生活习惯。 1.1 Welcome to the unit 是本单元的一个热身活动，通过五幅图片和三个开放性问题 让两名学生针对生活现状谈论关于如何显得美丽和保持健康。 引发学生通过同伴合作讨论穿 着、饮食和锻炼，从而也引出了本单元的话题——气色好，感觉好。 1.2 Reading 包括 A、B、C、D、E 和 F 五项活动。A 设置了几个阅读理解的问题，要求 学生在快速阅读三封邮件后回答。B 呈现的是两个朋友间关于减肥和健康问题的通信。C 设 置了两种题型， 要求再读课文后对六个问题作出选择并列出各部分的要点， 检验学生对细节 以及故事中各角色的观点行为的理解。 D 设置了填空和配对题， 帮助学生通过上下文语境猜 测词义。E 要求学生通过上下文选择合适的单词填空，是对学生综合理解能力的培养。F 是 一个会话练习，要求学生就某一问题提出看法并展开讨论，然后仿照范例进行会话练习。 1.3 Word power 的主题是关于不同类型的运动，旨在语境中扩充词汇。它包括四部分 的内容： 第一部分要求学生阅读一学生关于参加运动俱乐部的日记； 第二部分是不同体育运 动的图解； 第三部分是有关运动健身的短文填空； 最后一部分要求给不同体育运动进行分类。 1.4 Grammar and usage 总结了非限制性定语从句和反意问句的分类、用法、构成和意 义，并通过相关练习题帮助学生巩固对这两种语法的掌握。 1.5 Task 的主要任务是邀请朋友去一健身房，其中包含了 3 种技巧并分别设计了三个 步骤帮助学生掌握这些技巧：第一了解查找信息的方法；第二速记要点信息；第三如何正确 运用标点符号。学生在掌握这些技巧的基础上就能轻松完成向朋友推荐健身运动的任务。 1.6 Project 部分提供了一篇关于如何保健的报道，要求学生在理解大意的基础上，收 集一些背景信息，并通过小组合作讨论后，根据提示步骤及指导列举保健要点，帮助他们发 挥想象，制定一健康手册并向全班展示。该步骤是一种开放性的探究学习活动，除语言能力 外，也是对学生综合素质的一种锻炼。 1.7 listening 的前两部分是关于父子、医生间谈论超重问题的起因、后果和建议。第 三部分通过学生帮助朋友减肥的回信，复述概括听力材料的主要内容。
（二）教学目标 1．语言知识 gym, stay, slim, figure, weight, ashamed, since, exercise, work, recover, failure, contain, harmful, chemical, operation, exact, match, follow, advice, seldom, damage, attractive, touching, stranger, embarrassed, pressure, 词汇 actress, overweight, diet, property, skinny, lift, consider, effect, affect, sportsman, achievement, risk, post, recognize, energy, regularly, regular, yet, skip, control, system, skin, count, relaxed, ability, concentrate, amount, loss, suggestion 词组 Work out, go on diets, in secret, side effect, fall out, put on weight, along with, in the long term, as a matter of fact, in no time 语法 功能 Non-restrictive attributive clauses and question tags 1. Talking about health 2. Describing problems 3. Talking about physical exercises 话题 Looking good, feeling good; health, sports, diet
2． 语言技能 听 说 听懂关于推荐一健身房的广播内容；学生、家长和医生间关于超重问题的对话。 用表示观点、原因的句型来进行对一些警示性标志进行功能表达；对“保持健康 的最佳方法”这一辩题训练学生综合说的能力。 读 写 略读、细读、语义场在段落篇章阅读中运用以及对文章风格特点把握的训练。 写信和邮件推荐并邀请朋友去一健身房。
3．学习策略 学生在一定程度上形成自主学习、合作学习、信息处理、英语思维能力以及综合运用语言能 力（辩论、写作）的能力 认知 调控 猜测、细读、速读、略读、演绎及说、说以及综合运用信息等技能 小组活动中通过对同伴的意见归纳，用自己的方式表达出来，从前面的阅读和 同伴处得到反馈，对自己在作文中的错误进行修改；同伴合作，探究发现规律
并灵活运用 交际 积极地参与双人或小组的讨论，创设情景进行交际，有效完成任务
4．教学的重点和难点 （1）重点 1） 讨论外表、衣着，了解保持美丽、健康的方法 2） 学会表达观点和理由 3）归纳复习语法项目---非限制性定语从句和反意问句 4）让学生学会就如何保持健康提供建议 5）让学生掌握谈话技巧，对提供的话题进行会话 6）让学生参照要点，写信和邮件推荐并邀请朋友去一健身房。 （2）难点 1）让学生学会概括要点，就如何保健提供建议 2）让学生掌握对话技巧，对提供的话题进行会话 3）推荐并邀请朋友去一健身房的书面表达 （三）教学安排 对课本内容进行优化组合，可将本单元分成 7 个课时 Period 1 Period 2 Period 3 Period 4 Period 5 Period 6 Period 7 Welcome to the unit Reading Word power Grammar and usage (2) Task (2) Project Listening Period 1 Ⅰ. Teaching aims: 1. Enable the students to describe people’s current situations 2. Train the students’ speaking ability by expressing their opinions on looking good and feeling good Ⅱ. Teaching important points: Welcome to the unit
Enable the students to express opinions about how to look good and feel good Ⅲ. Teaching difficult points: Enable the students to tell different ways about how to both look good and feel good Ⅳ. Teaching methods: Cooperative learning, task-based learning Ⅴ. Teaching aids: A computer, a blackboard, a tape-recorder Ⅵ. Teaching procedures: Step I Brainstorming 1. Greeting 2. Let the students enjoy some pictures about some beauties and some handsome young men? Then activate students' imagination by asking the following questions: T: Everybody likes beauties, so let’s enjoy some pictures. Are the girls beautiful? Will you fall in love with them when you first see them? Are the young men very handsome? Are they very famous? Where can you find them? Do you want to be as beautiful and attractive as them? 3. Ask Ss to say something about some unpleasant pictures and answer: Do they look good and feel good? Why? Step Ⅱ Further discussion 1. Ask Ss to discuss two questions: 1). Do you think looking good is as important as feeling good? Why? 2). What makes one look better and feel better? 2. Get the Ss look at some pictures and give the answers Step Ⅲ conclusion After the discussion is finished, the teacher sums up the balance of how to look good and feel good. How can we both look good and feel good?
1) Confident 2) Healthy Physically 3) Healthy mentally 4) Exercise regularly 5) Healthy diet Step Ⅳ Advice Ask the Ss to work in groups to discuss the advice about how to keep fit. The teacher gives some suggested measures for the students to stay healthy: ● Don’t eat junk food. Try and eat a healthy diet. ● Don’t go to bed too late. Make sure you get sufficient sleep. ● Get regular exercise. ● Go to see the doctor if you’re not feeling well. ● Don’t spend too much time using computers or watching TV, as it is bad for your eyes. Step V Homework 1. Find more information about how to keep fit. 2. Write a passage about “health and beauty” or “healthy eating and exercise”. Period 2 Reading Ⅰ. Teaching aims: 1. Enable the students to learn about the three letters 2. Train the students’ reading ability (skimming, detailed reading, consolidation) Ⅱ. Teaching important points: Get the main points about the three emails Ⅲ. Teaching difficult points: Enable the students to identify the main topic of each email and understand sentences with “however” and “but” Ⅳ. Teaching methods: Cooperative learning, task-based learning Ⅴ. Teaching aids:
A computer, a blackboard, a tape-recorder Ⅵ. Teaching procedures: StepⅠ Lead-in 1. Greetings 2. Ask Ss to talk about the pictures and answer Do they look good and feel good? Then show some pictures including some fat persons Students may laugh T: Do you feel it’s interesting? Why? S: In the picture, there’re women models. Women models means they have good figures. But there’s a fat man among them T: What kind of person do you like better, the fat or the slim? 3. Ask the students to look at the picture about a fat man being treated by a doctor and ask: What is he trying to do? Step Ⅱ Pre-reading 1 Discuss about this question: If you are the person who is a little over-weight, how would you lose weight? Please discuss with your partner. Suggested answers Going on a diet Exercising in a gym Receiving surgical treatment Taking weight-loss pills 2. Talk about the ways to lose weight and discuss which methods they prefer, including the advantages and disadvantages. Finally fill in the form. 3. Prediction Look at the title and predict what will be talked about in the text (Who, , what, how, why, the results?) Step Ⅲ Reading 1. Fast reading
Read the text fast and answer the three questions on page 42. and the meaning of the title “Dying to be thin??” 1) The first is that Amy wanted to be thin very much. 2) The second is that Amy was going to die because she had taken some weight-loss pills. 3. Careful reading 1) True or false 2) Multiple choices on page 44 C1 3) Discuss the main point of each letter and the whole passage Step Ⅳ Further Discussion Ask the Ss to work in groups to discuss the following questions. 1. What lessons has Amy learnt from her experience? 2. What kinds of advice would you give to Amy? Step Ⅴ Reading strategy 1. Explain the differences in meaning between the sentences with “however” and “but”. 2. find out in the text the sentences using “however” and “but”. Step Ⅵ language points 1. Explanation a) used to; work out b) work c) follow d) recover/ uncover/ discover e) match/ fit/ suit/ go with 2. Practice Fill in the blanks Sentence transformation Step VII Homework 1. Read the text again to get a better understanding. 2. Recite the new words and phrases of Reading
3. Preview the Word Power. Period 3 Word Power Ⅰ. Teaching aims: Enable Ss to use the new words about the types of sport Enable Ss to learn useful strategy to expand their vocabulary Ⅱ. Teaching important points: Enable Ss to learn and master words about sports Enable Ss to know the importance to health Ⅲ. Teaching difficult points: Enable Ss to give correspondent definition of each new word Enable Ss to classify the sports Ⅳ. Teaching methods: Cooperative learning, task-based learning Ⅴ. Teaching aids: A computer, a blackboard, a tape-recorder Ⅵ. Teaching procedures: StepⅠ Greetings StepⅡ Brainstorming 1. Are there any school clubs in your school? Have you ever joined one? 2. Are you interested in sports clubs? Are you planning to join one? StepⅢ Practice Part A 1. Read the diary by Zhou Ling and summarize the types of sports she mentioned 2. Talk about which school clubs Zhou Ling can join and list some of the reasons. Discussion 1. Are you interested in sports? What’s your favorite? 2. Can you name some types of sports you know? Part B 1. Look at the following pictures and describe the sports 2. Decide which sports in the pictures you would like to play.
Words focus Fill in the blanks with the names of sports 1. ___________ is a game which is usually played in the us by 2 teams of 9 people. Each player tries to hit the ball and then around in the field. 2. Sang Lan is a happy girl, even after she got hurt seriously in a ___________ competition. 3. The first gold medal that China won in the Olympics is in Men’s ___________. 4. _________ is a sport in which people play on lakes which have a thick layer of ice. 5. You will be attracted by the traditional music and ________ in Tibet or in Yun’nan Province. 6. Wushu, which is a Chinese _________, is trying to get into the Olympics. 7. In _________, people will compete in three different sports, usually swimming, cycling and running. 8. When doing ________, you will not only enjoy the beautiful music, but also strengthen the heart and lungs. 9. ________ is a sport in which the athletes run 42,195 meters. 10. When playing _________, you kick a ball and there are 10 other people in your team. 11. Wang Liqin is one of the best __________ players in the world. 12. In a game, there are 6 players in each team. They try to pat a ball over a net. It is a _____ game. 13. Tiger Woods is one of the best _______ players in the world. He is from the US. 14. Michael Jordan, O’neal and Yao Ming are _________ players. 15. Tian Liang and Guo Jingjing won gold medals for _________ in the 10 National Games. Key: 1. baseball, 2. gymnastics, 3. shooting, 4. skating, 5. folk dance, 6. martial art, 7. triathlon, 8. aerobics, 9. marathon, 10. football, 11. table tennis, 12. volleyball, 13. golf 14. basketball, 15. diving
Part C 1. Read and complete the e-mail to Amy. 2. What are the advantages of the sports according to Zhou Ling? Part D 1. Look at the pictures above again and talk about whether the sports are played indoors or outdoors. 2. Fill in the columns on page 47. Step IV Topics for discussion Work in groups group 1: What can we benefit from sports? group 2: Say something about your favorite sport. group 3: Look at the body movements and guess the names of the sports. group 4: Talk about some indoor sports Step V Homework 1. 2. Try to find more names of sports. Talk about different kinds of indoor and outdoor sports. Period 4 Grammar and usage Ⅰ. Teaching aims: Enable the Ss to grasp the non-restrictive attributive clauses and question tags Ⅱ. Teaching important points: How to use correctly non-restrictive attributive clauses and question tags Ⅲ. Teaching difficult points: The function and formation of the non-restrictive attributive clauses and question tags Ⅳ. Teaching methods: Inductive and deductive methods, task-based learning and cooperative learning Ⅴ. Teaching aids: A computer, a blackboard Ⅵ. Teaching procedures: Step I Revision and lead in
1. Ask the students to recall what they’ve learned about the attributive clauses 2. Ask them practice finishing some sentences using attributive clauses 3. Conclusion of what has been learnt about the attributive clauses 4. Make a comparison to introduce the non- restrictive attributive clauses Step II work on the non- restrictive attributive clauses 1. Ask the Ss to find out the restrictive and non- restrictive attributive clauses in the text. 2. Tell the differences between the two kinds of attributive clauses by giving examples and making conclusions 3. Ask them to summarize what has been learnt and practice using the nonrestrictive attributive clauses 4. The important points of attributive clauses 1) non- restrictive attributive clauses led by “as” and “which” 2) non- restrictive attributive clauses led by “some/ any of which/ whom?” 5. Practice (correction, multiple choices, comparison) Step III Homework Go over the restrictive and non-restrictive attributive clauses. Step IV work on question tags 1. ask questions and lead in 2. discuss what question tags are 3. discuss the situations in which question tags are used according to examples 4. practice finding out the question tags in the text and explain them 5. ask questions about the types and formations of question tags 6. give examples and conclude the formation of question tags 7. tips on how to use the question tags 8. practice time Step V Language points Explanation and practice 1) consider
2) affect/ effect/ effort/ offer 3) recognize/ realize Step Ⅵ practice and consolidation of the grammar points Step VII Homework 1. Go over the question tags. 2. Preview Task. Period 5 Task Ⅰ. Teaching aims: Enable the Ss to learn how to invite their friends to join a gym by writing an email Ⅱ. Teaching important points: Enable the Ss to learn how to find information, take notes and use punctuations Ⅲ. Teaching difficult points: Teach the Ss how to talk about and write letters to recommend a gym Ⅳ. Teaching methods: Task-based learning and cooperative learning Ⅴ. Teaching aids: A computer, a blackboard, a recorder Ⅵ. Teaching procedures: Step I Lead-in 1. Greetings. 2. Ask some students to talk about how to find information StepⅡ Finding information 1. Discuss what are the main points and key words 2. Practice finding out the main points and key words in the letter on page 45 Step Ⅲ Recommending a gym to a friend 1. Practice finding out the main points and key words in the advertisement and web page 2. fill in the note sheet on page 53
3. listen and complete the note sheet StepⅣ writing 1. Ask the students to read the information about Wu Tong and find the reason why he should join a gym 2. Write a letter to him inviting him to join a gym A sample letter Dear Wu Tong, How are you? I know you’re thinking of joining a gym. I think you should join Better Body Gym. It is not expensive. It costs just 500 yuan a year for a student. If you join now, you can get one month free membership, which is open to anyone aged 14 or over. One of its branches is near the King Hotel, which is not far away from your home. It opens from 6 a.m. to midnight every day. So it is very convenient for you. Whenever you are free, you can go there. They have very good equipment and there are 35 classes every week, including yoga, aerobics and swimming. If you want to know more, you may call 5555, 4567. Best wishes! Yours, Li ping Step V Assignment 1. Review how to find information and try to mark the main ideas and key words in the passage on page 47. 2. Prepare a letter to advise one of your classmates to join a gym. Step VI Note taking 1. Discuss about the form and function of symbols, abbreviations and contractions 2. Listen and take notes about the equipment available in the gym. Step VII Interview 1. Let the students ask the partner questions about how he or she keeps fit and take notes about the answers, using the prompt box for ideas: 1). basketball/ dancing/ football/ gym/ running/ swimming 2). fit/ fun/ healthy/strong
3). often/ sometimes/ seldom/ never 4). classmates/ family/ friends 2. Tell your class what exercise your partner does and find out what’s the most popular exercise in your class. 1) Talk about the common punctuations 2) Discuss the function of punctuations 3) Read the e-mail on page 57 and add the missing punctuation4. Discuss what the students have learnt from step 1 and 2 about recommending a gym to someone. Talk with your partner about writing a letter to recommend Better Body Gym to your friend. Step VIII Homework 1. Make notes about the e-mail by your partner and Check the punctuation marks in it. 2. Preview project Period 6 Project Ⅰ. Teaching aims: 1. Enable the Ss to read the passage about how to keep fit 2. Enable Ss to make a booklet about fitness Ⅱ. Teaching important points: Enable the Ss to understand the importance of keeping fit Enable the Ss to make a survey and list the points about keeping fit Ⅲ. Teaching difficult points: Enable the Ss to list the ways about how to keep fit Enable the Ss to write a booklet Ⅳ. Teaching methods: Task-based learning and cooperative learning Ⅴ. Teaching aids: A computer, a blackboard, a recorder Ⅵ. Teaching procedures: Step I Introduction
1. Discuss about health and fitness 2. Discuss about living a healthy life 3. Talk about pictures and introduce the topic of this section StepⅡ Discussion 1. Talk about the proverbs and how to keep fit 1) An apple a day keeps the doctor away. 2) Reading is to the mind while exercise to the body. 3)A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book 4) Fresh air impoverishes the doctor 5) Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway Step Ⅲ Reading 1. Read fast and list the main points 2. Read carefully and give the main idea of each paragraph 3. practice summarizing the text 4. Read for detailed information and finish the diagram 5. List the useful phrases 6. language focus (fill in the blanks) Step Ⅳ Project 1. Introduce the project. 2. Plan to work in groups and give clear assignment 3. Decide the class and grade of each group 4. prepare for the tasks for each group 5. Write the questions to form a questionnaire. 6. Interview the classmates 7. Analyze the figures and write the report. Step V Language points 1. energy/ ability/ force/ energy 2. sentence translation Step VI Homework Review words and phrases in this unit.
Period 7 Listening Ⅰ. Teaching aims: 1. Enable the students to understand the dialogues 2. Train the students’ listening ability by filling in the information Ⅱ. Teaching important points: Enable the students to understand the causes, effects and advice of weight problems Ⅲ. Teaching difficult points: Enable the students to find the key points of the dialogue Ⅳ. Teaching methods: Cooperative learning, task-based learning Ⅴ. Teaching aids: A computer, a blackboard, a tape-recorder Ⅵ. Teaching procedures: Step I Brainstorming 1. Greetings 2. Let the students enjoy some pictures about healthy young man and woman and ask whether look good and feel good. 3. Talk about a funny picture 4. Talk about the pictures of people with weight problems Step Ⅱ Discussion 1. Ask Ss to discuss the reasons of weight problems : 1). Improper diet 2). Irregular exercise 3) Improper amount of sleep 4) Lack of confidence 2. Get the Ss to talk about the disadvantages of weight problems Step Ⅲ listening A 1. Read part A and answer questions 1).Who are the characters in the dialogue? 2). What are they talking about? Why?
3) What are the listening points? 2. Listen to part A and finish the table 3. Look at the listening text and check the answers Step Ⅳ Listening B 1. Before listening, ask the students to give suggestions to Jia Hua about his weight problems ● Don’t feel upset about the weight. ● Have a healthy diet ● Get regular exercise. ● Follow the doctor’s advice. 2. Read part B and answer questions 1).Who are the characters in the dialogue? 2). What are they talking about? Why? 3) What are the listening points? 3. Listen to part B and finish the table 3. Look at the listening text and check the answers Step V Retelling Suppose you are Jiahua, ask the students to tell your partner about your weight problems discussed in Part A and B. Step VI Listening C 1. Read part C and try to fill in as much information as possible 2. Listen to Part A and B again and check the answers3. Discuss what the students have learnt from Jiahua’s example Step VII Homework Listen to the tape again after class so as to master the material and try to find the skills of listening.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。