Unit 1 Cultural relics
Periods 1 & 2
?Warming up ?Reading ?Writing
? Name: The Great Wall ? Place: Beijing ? Time: Since 475BC ? Importance: the symbol
of China and its culture.
Name: the Forbidden City Place: Beijing Time: 1406 (the Ming Dynasty) The imperial palace/ Importance: the largest museum of cultural relics in China
Name: The Potala Palace Place: Lhasa, Tibet Time: 1693 Importance: the residence of the Dalai Lama/ one of Tibet's major pilgrimage destinations
Name: The Great Pyramid of Khufu Place: Egypt Time: around the year 2560 BC Importance: the only surviving of the
The Classical Gardens Ancient Villages of Suzhou in Southern Anhui - Xidi and Hongcun the Leshan Giant Buddha
The Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor and the Terracotta Warriors Mount Huangshan
What is a cultural relic ?
A cultural relic is something that has survived for a long time, often a part of something old that has remained when the rest of it has been destroyed; it tells people about the past.
According to the definition, what characteristics does a cultural relic have ?
rare precious valuable
old cultural relic mysterious
Can you recognize any other cultural relics? Do you have any in your family?
If one of them got lost, how would you feel and what will you do with it?
The Amber Room
amazing select honey design fancy style decorate jewel adj. 令人惊奇的 vt. 挑选; 选择 n. 蜜; 蜂蜜 n. 设计; 图案; 构思 vt.设计; 计划; 构思 adj. 奇特的; 异样的 vt. 想象; 设想; 爱好 n. 风格; 风度; 类型 v. 装饰; 装修 n. 珠宝; 宝石
artist belong troop reception remove wooden doubt n. 艺术家 vi. 属于; 为……的一员 n. 群; 组; 军队 n. 接待; 招待会; 接收 vt. 移动; 搬开 adj. 木制的 n. 怀疑; 疑惑 vt. 怀疑; 不信 former adj. 以前的; 从前的
Expressions preview belong to 属于
in return 作为报答; 回报
at war 处于交战状态
less than 少于
IN SEARCH OF THE AMBER ROOM
Skimming to get general ideas
通过略读把握文章大意 略读(skimming)只看文章标题、下标 题以及每个部分或者段落第一行, 关注文 章中反复出现的关键词。 略读时, 要用充足的时间读懂段落的 第一句和第二句, 因为第一句往往是该段 的主题句(topic sentence), 而第二句往往 是对前句的延伸(extension)或进一步的 解释(explanation)。
通过扫读寻找特定信息或特定词组 运用扫读(scanning)迅速浏览从第三 句开始的后面部分, 搜寻作者对开头两句 的支持句(supporting sentences), 并同时注 意文章中间是否有转折(transition), 因为 这些词常常会把文章的思路逆转或加入其 它重要的信息。当读到段落的最后一句时, 我们又要使用略读, 这时必须再次放慢速 度(slow down your pace)直到完全消化作 者对段落的小结(conclusion), 因为该小结 有可能与主题句截然相反或引导读者进入 下一个段落。
Reading Comprehension I 1. The passage is mainly developed in the order of _____. A. place B. people C. time 2. In ______ the people of St Petersburg celebrated the _______ birthday of their city. A. 1716; 200th B. 1770; 200th C. 1941; 300th D. 2003; 300th
3. ________ was given to the Russian people as a great gift by Frederick William I. A. The precious amber B. The great Amber Room C. The small art object D. The furniture
Match the main ideas and the paragraphs. Para 1 How did the Amber Room become one of the wonders of the world? Para 2 How was a new Amber Room built? Para 3
Para 4 Para 5
How did the Amber Room get lost?
How was the Amber Room made? Why did the King of Prussia give the Amber Room to the Czar of Russia as a gift?
Scanning to get detail information
Reading Comprehension II
Join the correct parts of the sentences together. A stole the Amber Room. 1 Frederick I B sent a troop of his best 2 Frederick soldiers to the King of William I Prussia. 3 Peter the Great C had the Amber Room made. 4 Catherine II D had it moved outside St Petersburg. 5 The Nazi army 6 The Russians and E gave it to the Czar as a gift. F built a new Amber Room Germans after studying pictures of the old one.
Reading Comprehension III
How many kings or queens are mentioned in this passage? Who are they?
Frederick William I Frederick I
Peter the Great Catherine II
Reading Comprehension IV
Find out all the people related to the Amber Room from the text. Frederick I Frederick William I Peter the Great Catherine II The Nazis
Fill in the form below.
What happened to the Amber Room Frederick I built the Amber Room 1716 Frederick gave the Amber Room to William I _______________ as a gift Peter the Great 1770 Catherine II _________________________ had the Amber Room moved _________________________ outside St Petersburg stole ______ the Amber Room Nazi 2003 the Russians rebuilt and _______ the Amber Room Germans
The clue of the story
Peter the Great
Reading Comprehension V
Answer the following questions. 1. Why is it called the Amber Room and how many tons of amber were used to make the Amber Room? 2. What did Catherine II do with the Amber Room? 3. What happened to the Amber Room?
1. Why is it called the Amber Room and how many tons of amber were used to make the Amber Room?
It was given the name the Amber Room because several tons of amber were used to make it, which has a beautiful yellow brown color.
2. What did Catherine II do with the Amber Room? She had the Amber Room moved to the palace outside St Petersburg and transformed it. 3. What happened to the Amber Room in the second world war ? It was taken apart and missing in the second world war, and the Russians and Germans have built a new Amber Room at the summer palace.
Discuss the following two questions in groups of four. 1. Is it worth rebuilding lost cultural relics such as the Amber Room or the Winter Palace (Yuanmingyuan)? Give your reasons. 2. What are good ways to protect cultural relics from being destroyed and stolen?
Quiz I Retell the text by filling in the blanks. The Amber Room was ________ for the palace of Frederick I at first. The country’s best ______ spent about ____ years making it. Several tons of ______ were used for making it, decorated with _____ and ______. It was given to _____________ after Frederick William I succeeded his ______ and became the _____ of Prussia.
Soon it became part of the Czar’s ______ ______ in St Petersburg. Later, __________ had the Amber Room ______ to a palace outside St Petersburg. It was one of the great ________ of the world. In _____, it was stolen by the _____. Now a new Amber Room has been built in _______ and it looks much like the old one, following the old ______.
Answer: The Amber Room was ________ for the designed palace of Frederick I at first. The country’s best ______ spent about ____ years making artists ten it. Several tons of ______ were used for amber making it, decorated with _____ and gold ______. It was given to _____________ jewels Peter the Great after Frederick William I succeeded his ______ and became the _____ of Prussia. father king
Soon it became part of the Czar’s ______ winter ______ in St Petersburg. Later, __________ palace Catherine II had the Amber Room ______ to a palace moved outside St Petersburg. It was one of the great ________ of the world. In _____, it wonders 1941 was stolen by the _____. Now a new Amber Nazis Room has been built in _______ and it Russia looks much like the old one, following the old ______. photos
Careful reading to solve difficult points
1. design n.设计; 图案; 构思 One or two changes have been made to the computer’s basic design. 对电脑的基本设计已经作了一两处改动。 I like this wallpaper with a floral design. 我喜欢这个带花图案的墙纸。 have designs on sth 企图将某物占为己有 She has designs on his money. 她觊觎他的钱财。
design v. 设计; 计划; 构思 He designed us a beautiful house. 他为我们设计了一所很美的房子。 design sth to do sth These exercises are designed to develop and strengthen muscles. 这些练习是为了增强肌肉练习而设计的。 be designed for The gloves were designed for extremely cold climates. 这些手套是为严寒地区设计的。
2. fancy adj. 奇特的; 异样的
fancy clothes 新奇服装 fancy vt. 想象; 设想; 爱好 fancy doing sth I don’t fancy walking in the rain. 我不喜欢在雨中行走。 have a fancy for… 爱好; 爱上; 入迷 fancy sb. doing sth. 想象某人做某事
3. belong vi. 属于；为……的一员 After three years in Cambridge, I finally feel as if I belong here. belong to sb/sth 属于 This book belongs to Sarah. You shouldn’t take what doesn’t belong to you. They belong to the same chess club.
4. in return 回报; 作为报酬 What can we do for them in return for all the help they have given us? 我们将怎样来报答他们所给予我们的 种种帮助呢? I gave him some books in return for his assistance. in turn 轮流地; 依次; 反过来 by turns 轮流地; 时而……时而……
5. be at war 处于交战状态 =fighting against each other The two sisters are constantly at war with each other. 这两姐妹不时发生争执。 The two countries have been at war for many years. People there are suffering a lot.
Quiz II Translation
1. 这件衣服是最新设计。 This dress is of the latest design. 2. 我送给他一份礼物以回报他的帮助。 I sent him a present in return for his help. 3. 第二次世界大战期间，德国几乎同世 界上所有的国家处于交战状态。 During the Second World War, Germany was at war with almost all the countries in the world.
1. It is reported that two schools, _____ are being built in my hometown, will open next year. （2007 四川卷） A. they both B. which both C. both of them D. both of which
2. By serving others, a person focuses on someone other than himself or herself, ___ can be very eye-opening and rewarding. （2007 湖南卷） A. who B. which C. what D. that
3. They will fly to Washington, _____ they plan to stay for two or three days. (2008 重庆卷) A. where B. there C. which D. when 4. The growing speed of a plant is influenced by a number of factors, _____ are beyond our control. (2008 湖南卷) A. most of them B. most of which C. most of what D. most of that
1. Read the text again and
underline some important phrases and difficult sentences. 2. Find more information about the Amber Room.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。