Unit 2 Healthy eating
Learn these proverbs. You are what you eat. 人如其食。 First wealth is health. 健康是人生的第一财富。
An apple a day keeps
the doctor away.
What kind of food do you like eating? Do you think that is good for your health? Why?
Listening on P48
Listen to the whole text and find which
illness Emma has. rickets anorexia obesity indigestion
1. What does Emma usually have for breakfast, lunch and supper?
She has an orange and a banana for breakfast, a roll for lunch, and half a bowl of rice and a dish for supper. 2. What is wrong with Emma’s diet? She is not eating enough food and particularly energy-giving food.
3. Why is the doctor concerned about how much Emma eat? He thinks she is too thin. 4. How does Emma feel after the doctor tells her about the result of not eating properly?
She is happy to get the advice on how to eat a more balanced diet.
Fill in blanks
Red food: Orange Green foods: (only a little food:(some (some every meal) every day) every day) all vegetables (for bread, butter, example: potatoes, noodles, cheese, cabbage, carrots, Spaghetti, cream, tomatoes) rice, meat, cakes, All fruits (for example: fish, foods fried watermelons, apples, eggs, tofu in fat oranges, pineapples)
Emma is visiting Doctor Pan’s surgery. Part 1 D: Hello. What’s the matter? E: I don’t feel well. I keep feeling
dizzy and I feel tired very easily.
D: Oh dear! You look a bit thin to me.
Are you eating well?
E: Oh yes, I have an orange and a
banana for breakfast and a roll for
lunch. I eat half a bowl of rice and a
dish of vegetable in the evening. D: Well, in fact you are too thin! It seems that you are not eating enough. You need more energy-giving foods.
E: But, doctor, if I eat too much I feel sick. D: Now, young lady, you must listen to me. Your diet is not giving you enough energy, and if you carry on this way you will become seriously ill. E: Oh, my goodness!
Part 2 D: Let me tell you how to eat well but still stay thin. There are three types of food. They work like traffic lights. The first type of food is “red” and you mustn’t eat too much of it, because this food contains a lot of fat, sugar and salt.
E: Really? Can you give me some examples? D: Butter, cheese, cream, cakes, food fried in fat. E: OK. D: The second kind of food is “orange” and you should eat some every day. It includes bread, noodles, spaghetti, rice, meat, fish, eggs and tofu.
E: Well, I eat some of those things.
D: The last type of food is “green” and
you should eat some at every meal. It
includes all fruit and vegetables. E: Thank you, Doctor Pan. Does anybody else put food into colour groups as you do?
D: Yes. Many scientists do, and all
food in the supermarkets in
England now is coloured in this
E: That’s very interesting. I’ll follow your advice.
Listening task on page 51
Name For or Reasons against 1. An old part of town will Tina For. be improved. 2. They will have more jobs. Li 1. He hates all that expensive Qian Against. tasteless food. 2. He loves local dishes. 3. McDonald’s serves a terrible diet for young children.
THE PROBLEM OF THE MCDONALD’S RESTAURANT Tina is talking to Li Qian about whether a new McDonald’s restaurant should be built. T=Tina LQ=Li Qian T: Well, what do you think? McDonald’s is going to build a new restaurant in our hometown.
LQ: Surely not! I hate all that expensive, tasteless food. Where are they going to build it? WM: Over there where that old restaurant is. LQ: But where are we going to eat our local dishes? I love to eat them there. It’s so friendly. Why are they closing?
WM: McDonald’s offered that old
restaurant a lot of money, so they
wanted to sell. I think we will all
benefit. An old part of town will be improved and we shall have more jobs.
LQ: Don’t you believe it! I’ve read about
these kinds of restaurants. They
provide a terrible diet for young
children. How do McDonald’s know that we want their restaurant here? Nobody has asked our opinion.
WM: Well, since you are against it, why not take part in a meeting to vote on whether we want McDonald’s or not? You may give the reasons why you don’t want it to be built. I’ll give the reasons for building it. LQ: That seems a very good idea. Let’s do that.
Do you want a McDonald’s in our town?
Come to a meeting tonight in the town hall to discuss if 1 we need another restaurant in our town, 2 we need other community buildings, 3 McDonald’s would be good for our town. Time: 7:30pm Date: Thursday 14/11/04
Using words and expressions Answer key for exercise 1 on page 49
Answer key for exercise 2 on page 49 1. combined 2. diet, put on weight, digest, 3. sighed 4. Before long
5. cutting down, benefit
Suggested answers to Exercise 3:
Flavours and tastes: sweet, salty, crispy,
tastless, spicy, sour
Ways of cooking: fry, roast, boil, barbecue
Vegetables: eggplant, carrot, pea, cabbage,
radish, turnip, cucumber, mushroom
Fruits: grape, peach, plum, mango, melon, lemon, pineapple
Meat: mutton, beef, kebab, bacon
Seafood: shrimp, crab, lobster
Dairy food: cheese, cream, milk
Seasoning: mustard, pepper, garlic, sugar, vinegar
Staple food: noodle, spaghetti, bread, rice, corn
Drink: coffee, mineral water, tea, juice, wine, cola
Answer key for exercise 4
1. tell 2. ask 3. say 4. speak 5. tell 6. talk 7. discuss 8. tell 9. say
Answer key for exercise 5
1. 这一饮食的缺点是包含了太多的脂肪和糖分, 优点 是有很多能提供能量的食品。(diet; strength; weakness) The weakness of this diet is that it has too much fat and sugar; its strength is that it has plenty of energy-giving food.
2. 那个商店老板试图通过打折来赢回顾客。 (win back; discount) The shopkeeper is trying to win his customers back with a discount.
3. 如果你不为自己的错误道歉的话, 他们是 不会放过你的。(get away with) If you don’t say sorry for your mistake, they won’t let you get away with it. 4. 他已经负债很久了。对于他来说, 如何谋生 成了大问题。(in debt; earn one’s living) He has been in debt for a long time. So how to earn his living is a big problem.
5. 就在我等朋友时, 突然发现有个男人在离我 不远处正瞪眼看着我。(spy; glare at) When I was waiting for my friend, I suddenly spied a man not far away glaring at me. 6. 我不想对你说谎，但是我不得不告诉你他的 智力有限。(lie; limited) I don’t want to lie to you, but I have to say that his intelligence is limited.
7. 专家说吃萝卜对眼睛很有好处。 (benefit; carrot) Experts say eating carrots benefits your eyes. 8. 我吃饺子时通常都会加点醋, 因为醋有助于 消化食物。(vinegar; digest) I usually eat dumplings with a little vinegar, which I believe helps me digest the food.
Answer key for exercise 1 on page 50 have to; should; should ought to; should
have to can’t; can’t
1. 用let’s或shall I/we来表示对第一人称的建议 Let’s +动词原形。我们自己来刷漆。 Let’s paint it ourselves． 有时可加上shall we? 我们今天把油漆弄来, 好吗？ Let’s get the paint today, shall we? shall I/we+动词原形 我们邀请比尔好吗？ Shall we invite Bill?
对Let’s 或 shall we表示的建议的肯定答语中 可以用yes或Let’s。 Let’s not可用做带玩笑口气的否定回答： —我们把帐篷带上吧。—可别！ —Let’s take the tent．—Let’s not！ 或引导一个否定的建议： 我们别出发得太早。 Let’s not start too early． 这里也可以用don’t let’s: Don’t let’s start too early．(译文同上)
2. what/how about +动名词/名词： 我们睡在哪儿？
Where shall we sleep?
租一辆旅行拖车怎么样？ What about renting a caravan? 那么住在“供应住宿和早餐”服务的小客店 怎么样？ What about a bed and breakfast place?
3. must, ought to 和 should 可用来表示劝告：
You must read this book．It’s very good．
You should grow your own vegetables．
You ought to plant some trees．
4. You had better +不带to的不定式：
You’d better take off your wet shoes．
You’d better not wait any longer．
had better 可用于第三人称：
他最好别再服用那些药片。 He’d better stop taking those pills．
5. if I were you I should/would：
If I were you I’d buy a car．
在间接引语中 If I were you I should/would…
他劝我买辆汽车。 He advised me to buy a car．
6. I advise/would advise you+不定式：
I (would) advise you to apply at once． I advise/would advise+动名词： I(’d) advise applying at once． (译文同上)
7. why don’t you… / Why not do …？ 可表示劝告或建议：
Why don’t you / Why not learn to play your guitar？ 你为什么不休假？ Why don’t you / Why not take a holiday？
8. it is time you + 过去时态： 你该买一件新外衣了。
It is time you bought a new coat．
病人: There’s something wrong with …
I’ve got a cough. I don’t feel well. 我咳嗽。
I feel terrible (bad). 我感觉很糟糕。
我感觉不舒服。 I’ve got a pain here. 我这儿痛。 This place hurts. 这个地方伤了。
医生: What’s wrong with you? / What’s the
matter with you? 你怎么了?
It’s nothing serious. 没什么大问题。
You’ll be all right/well soon. 你很快就会好的。
Take this medicine three times a day.
Drink plenty of water and have a good rest. 喝多点水, 并好好休息。
一、单词拼写 diet 1.___________ n. 日常饮食; vi.节食 energy 2.___________ n. 精力;活力;能量 fibre 3.___________ n. 纤维; 纤维制品 cucumber n. 黄瓜 4.___________ mushroom n. 蘑菇 5.___________ 6.___________ mutton n. 羊肉 curiosity n. 好奇心 7.___________ 8.___________ adj. 苗条的; vi. 变细,减肥 slim 9.___________ adj. 生的, 未加工的 raw research n.& vi. 研究, 调查 10.__________
customer n. 顾客; 消费者 11____________ strength 12____________ n. 力量; 长处 weakness n. 虚弱; 弱点 13____________ 14____________ n. 债务; 欠款 debt 15____________ vi. 怒目而视; n. 眩目的光 glare gently 16____________ adv. 轻轻地; 轻柔地 17____________ n. 界限 vt. 限制 limit benefit 18____________ n. 利益 vt.&vi. 有益于 19____________ vt.& vi 使联合, 使结合 combine packet 20____________ n. 小包裹; 袋
combine theory with practice. 1. We should _________ 2. He has been working for a long time, but he
is still full of e_______. nergy 3. The boy lifted the stone with all his s________. trength 4. Students get benefits ________ from their teachers. sighed (叹息). 5. “You did a bad job!” She _________
6. She is not ________ slim enough to wear these tight trousers. 7. Children are always full of c________; uriosity they want to know everything. 8. What will happen if you do not eat a b________ alanced diet? 9. The thief got away _______ with several thousand pounds worth of jewellery. down on smoking because 10. He has to cut ________ he coughs a lot.
三、词语派生 用括号中所给词的适当形式填空。 feeling 1. He sat in his company __________ (feel) very frustrated. curious (curiosity ) to know what has 2. I’m _________ happened there. 3. I haven’t the _________ strength (strong) to lift this stone. 4. My ability is _________ limited (limit). 5. Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthily (health). live __________
6. The food is easy to _________ digest (digestion).
7. Exercise is ____________ beneficial (benefit ) to our
health. sugary 8. You shouldn’t eat too much _______ (sugar) food. 9. With the help of the doctor, he recovered from her ____________ (weak). weakness 10. The dish tasted _______ salty (salt) with too much salt.
四、词组互译 平衡膳食 1. a healthy diet ________________ 感到心灰意冷 2. feel frustrated ___________________
一家新开张的餐馆 3. a newly-opened restaurant _______________
怒视 4. glare at ____________
削减, 砍倒 5. cut down ________________
做调查 6. do some research ______________
让某人一直做某事 7. have sb. doing sth. __________________
combine…with… 8. 把??与??结合起来 _________________ be full of 9. 充满 ______________ ought to 10. 应当, 应该 ______________ throw away 11. 扔掉 _________________ get away with 12. 被放过, (做坏事)不受惩罚 ______________ tell lies 13. 说谎 ______________ be tired of 14. 厌倦 ______________
15. 以??谋生 ____________________ earn one’s living by in debt 16. 欠债 ____________
五、词组运用 第四题中选择适当的词组填空。 1. 你的膳食平衡吗？ Do you eat __________________ ? a balanced diet 2. Tom曾经靠送牛奶谋生。 Tom used to ___________________delivering milk. earn his living by 3. 他们昨天把旧报纸扔掉了。 They _____________ threw away the old newspapers yesterdays. 4. 她欠我50块钱。 She ________________ to me for 50 yuan RMB. was in debt 5. 你观顾新开张的餐馆了吗？ Have you visited _________________________? the newly-opened restaurant
6. 玛丽本应接受他提供给她的工作, 但是她拒绝了。 ought to have taken the job he Mary ____________________ offered to her, but she didn’t. 7. 如果你在考试中舞弊, 你几乎没可能逃脱处罚。 If you cheat in the exam, you could hardly get away with it. ________________ 8. 我们应该劳逸结合。 combine business _______ with pleasure. We should __________ 9. 房间里充满了笑声。 was full of laughter . The room ____________ 10. 对不起, 让你久等了。 have had you waiting so long. I am sorry to _____________________
1. Preview reading task on Page 52. 2. Find some information about healthy eating on the Internet.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。