Period 1 Grammar and usage
No. 29 Middle School ( 卞克)
1. Consolidate the knowledge we’ve learnt in Unit 2
ter the knowledge of non-attributive clauses.
1.This is a new car ________ was bought last which week. 2.The person ________ is standing there is my who teacher. 3.The person ________ you spoke to just now whom is my teacher. 4. We are going to look after the little girl whose ________ mother is seriously ill now. that 5. The first book ________ I’d like to read during the holidays is Travel in China.
to whom 6. The person ________ you spoke just now is my teacher. 7. The house in which we live is not big. _______ 8. Can you tell me the reason _______ you why came late this morning? 9. I don’t believe the reason _______ he that explained last night. 10. I’ve never forgotten the day _______ I when joined the army.
11. I’ve never forgotten the day _______ I spent which with you. that 12. The city is the one ______ I visited last month. where 13. The city is the one ______ I was born. 14. He is the only one of the students who is _______ praised by the teacher. are 15. He is one of the students who ________ praised by the teacher.
Look and analyze:
1.This is a new car , which was bought last week.
2. We are going to look after the little girl, whose mother is seriously ill now.
3. The person, whom you spoke to just now, is my teacher
1.He failed in the final exam, which made his father very angry.
2. She came back to China, which surprised me a lot.
3. The result turned out to be good,which we hadn’t expected.
1.There are many people participating in the competition,___________ are teenagers. all of whom
2. Many people, _____________ are not some of whom overweight, are going on diets. 3. China has hundreds of islands,____ the largest of which _______________ is Taiwan. 4. I have two books, _____________ were both of which bought in America.
Non-restrictive Attributive Clause § There is a comma before Non-restrictive Attributive Clause. § We can’t use “that” in the Non-restrictive Attributive Clause.
§ In Non-restrictive Attributive Clause, we can use “which” to refer to the whole main clause of the sentence.
§ We can use all/ some/ most/ both/ part of + whom/ which to express a complete or partial quantity.
1.There are a group of students in the hall, of whom two √ ______________ are from England.
2. I have a lot of books on my bookshelf, of which some ________________ are written in English. √
3. I am doing different types of exercises, of which two ______________all are quite helpful to my health. √
Exercise: Ⅰ. Join each pair of sentences to form one sentence. 1.Li Dong donated half of his liver to Amy to save her life. He is Chinese. Li Dong, who is Chinese, donated half of his liver to Amy to save her life. 2. Amy eats lots of fruits and vegetables. All of them are good for her health. Amy eats lots of fruits and vegetables, all of which are good for her health.
3. Amy sometimes goes for a walk in the afternoon. It is fine and warm in the afternoon. Amy sometimes goes for a walk in the afternoon, when it is fine and warm. 4. My uncle is an engineer and is working in Beijing. I told you about him yesterday. My uncle , about whom I told you yesterday, is an engineer and is working in Beijing.
5. Mike has decided to visit the Great Wall next month. His hobby is traveling. Mike, whose hobby is traveling, has decided to visit the Great Wall next month. 6. You might often see overweight boys and girls. This means that young people’s weight has become a big problem. You might often see overweight boys and girls, which means that young people's weight has become a big problem.
7. Some other teenagers like eating in fast food restaurants. You can see these restaurants everywhere in our city. Some other teenagers like eating in fast food restaurants, which you can see everywhere in our city. 8. So there is a Keep Fit Summer Camp in our city. In the camp, the overweight teenagers can take enough exercise and have a healthy diet. So there is a Keep Fit Summer Camp in our city, in which the overweight teenagers can take enough exercise and have a healthy diet.
Ⅱ. Multiple Choice 1.Jane received an invitation from her boss,_____ C came as a surprise. A.it B. that C. which D. he B 2. I like Nanjing, ______ has many famous places of interest. A. where B. which C. when D. in which A 3. My mother often goes to gym, ______ she works out to keep fit. A.where B. which C. when D. that C 4. She has two daughters, _____ is good at music. A.neither of them B. either of them C. neither of whom D. but either of whom
B 5. I spent my holiday beside the sea, _____ I played with the small girl. A. in which B. during which C. which D. that 6. This is a high mountain, _____ the top is always C covered by snow. A.whose B. on which C. of which D. that 7. The brave man, _____ the tiger was shot, is a C good hunter. A.Of whom B. by that C. by whom D. by which
C 8. The clever boy made a hole in the wall, _____ he could see what it was going on inside the house. A.on which B. at which C. through which D. in which 9. There are two thousand students in our school, D _____ are girls. A.two-thirds in which B. two-thirds in them C. two-thirds of them D. of whom two thirds 10. I have bought two ball-pens, _____ writes well. C A.neither of them B. none of them C. neither of which D. none of which
1 He was among the first to arrive at
the finish line,_____ surprised us all. B
A where B which C what D that 2 Beijing,____there are a lot of interesting places, is C the capital of China. A which B that C where D what
3 At last the time came,______ I achieved my goal. D
A what B that C which D when
A 4 _____ everyone knows, China is a country
with a long history.
A As B Which C That D What
5 The house, _____ windows face south, was sold C
at a very high price.
B 6 Huangshan,_____ has too many visitors
every year, now has pollution problems.
C where D as
B 7 I still remember the days ______ I spent in Dalian. A when B that C as D what
8 He hurt his leg when playing football. C He is very lucky, ______ he?
copyright ©right 2010-2020。