Unit 5 Nelson Mandela – a modern hero
Words Preview lawyer n. 律师 guidance n. 指导; 领导 legal adj. 法律的; 依照法律的 Fee n. 费(会费、学费等); 酬金 fare n.（公共汽车、轮船、
hopeful adj. (怀)有希望的
stage n. 舞台; 阶段; 时期
quality willing republic principle peaceful continue
n. adj. n. n. adj. vi. &vt.
质量; 品质; 性质 乐意的; 自愿的 共和国; 共和政体 法则;原则 和平的;平静的
vt. & vi. 投票; 选举
n. 投票; 选票; 表决
vt. 进攻; 攻击; 抨击 n. 暴力; 暴行 adj. 相等的; 平等的 adj. 反黑人的 vt. 判决;宣判 n. 民主主义;国家主义 n. 生计;谋生
1. 乐意做某事 2. 愿意让某人做某事
3. 建议某人做某事 4. 处于不幸中 5. 为了…而战 6. 与…作战
be willing to do sth. be willing for sb. to do sth. advise sb. to do sth. in trouble fight for … fight against …
continue to do sth. worry about out of work
10. 非洲民族会议 African National Congress as a matter of fact 11. 事实上 12. 使充气;爆炸 blow up 13. 把…投入监狱 put … in prison 14. 与…平等的， be equal to 胜任，相等
15. 当权; 上台
come to power set up be sentenced to … in principle
16. 设立; 建立
17. 被判决…… 19.原则上
18.对(于) …很积极 be active in (doing) sth.
Pre-reading: Make a guess What’s the connection between them?
C. Father and son
He fought for the black
people and was in prison
for thirty years. Nelson is
a modern great man
because he helped his
people get the same rights
as white people in his
Elias: a poor black worker in South Africa. The text tells us about his life and what he did with Nelson Mandela to fight for black people.
How many parts can the text be divided into? Give the general idea of each part. Part 1 (para 1-2) The life of Elias before he met Nelson Mandela. Part 2 (para 3-5) The change of Elias’ life after he met Nelson Mandela and what Mandela did.
The life of Elias
time events 1940 he was born 1946 he began school 1948 he left school 1952 he met Nelson Mandela 1963 he helped Mandela blow up some government buildings
1. How old was Elias when he first met Mandela? He was twelve. 2. What was Mandela at that time? He was a lawyer.
3.What did Mandela do to help black people?
He offered guidance to poor black people on their legal problems.
1. When did Elias begin school? He began school at six. 2. Why did Elias have to leave school? Because his family couldn’t continue to pay the school fees and the bus fare.
3. Why didn’t Elias have a passbook? Because he wasn’t born there.
How did Mandela help Elias? Mandela told Elias how to get the correct papers so he could stay in Johannesburg.
What was the situation of black people at that time? They couldn’t vote or choose their leaders. They couldn’t get the jobs they wanted. They were sent to live in the poorest parts of South Africa.
Why did Elias support violence when he did not agree with it? Because he wanted to realize their dream of making black and white people equal.
True or False
1. Elias went to see Nelson Mandela
when he was in trouble. T
2. Elias left school because the school
was too far from his home. F 3. Nelson Mandela helped him keep his job. T 4. Elias met Nelson Mandela at school. F
5. Nelson helped him keep his job. T
6. Elias was unable to read or write because he was lazy. F 7. Nelson was a black lawyer. T 8. Nelson thought violence was a good way to help black people. F 9. Nelson believed that black people were being treated as well as white people in South Africa.
10. Elias trusted Nelson Mandela and he
joined the ANC Youth League. T 11. Elias was willing to blow up government buildings. F
12. Nelson Mandela thought violence
was a good way to help black people. F
13. The government were happy with
Nelson and the ANC. F 14. Totally, Elias was happy blowing up government buildings. F
More intensive questions :
1. What disadvantages did Elias have in finding a job? He was a black person, poor education; no permit to live in Johannesburg
2. According to the text, what was the
situation for black people in South Africa? Black people had no _____. vote They couldn’t get _____ jobs they wanted. They were sent to the _______ poorest areas where no ______ one could grow food.
3. Why did Elias visit Nelson Mandela?
Because he needed legal help. He was not allowed to work without a passbook.
4. What did Mandela do to help black people? Mandela helped black people by offering guidance to them on legal problem.
5. Why did Elias support Nelson Mandela? Mandela told him how _________ to get the correct papers so that he could keep his job. 6. How did he support Mandela? He joined _______________________. the ANC Youth League blow up He helped Mandela __________ some government buildings.
7. What was Elias’ attitude towards the unfair situation black people faced? How do you know? Elias felt angry about the unfair situation black people faced. He tells us in the story that black people could not choose where to live, his job or his homeland outside the city.
8. Why did Nelson Mandela turn to
violence to make black and white
people equal? Nelson Mandela turned to violence because he felt there was no other way of changing this unfair situation.
9. Is it fair to treat others badly for things they cannot change, like the color of skin or eyes or the race one belongs to? Give a reason. No, because there is nothing one can do to change or improve the situation. 10. What do we call it when some people are badly treated because of their race and others not? Racialism.
Choose the best answer.
1. Why did Elias have to leave school? C
A. He didn't have a passbook.
B. His home was far from the school. C. His family couldn't afford the school fees. D. He couldn't read or write.
2. Nelson Mandela opened a black
law firm in order to ____. B
A. make money
B. help the poor black people
with their problems
C. make himself famous D. study law
3. How did Nelson Mandela help Elias keep his job? B
A. He talked with Elias' boss.
B. He helped him get the correct
C. He lent him some money. D. He asked him to go to court.
4. Why did Elias help Nelson Mandela blow up some government buildings? C A. He liked violence.
B. It was not dangerous.
C. It was a way to make black and white people equal. D. He wanted to be famous.
5. What dream did Nelson Mandela have? C A. To become the president of South Africa. B. To win the Nobel Peace Prize. C. To make black and white people equal. D. To blow up some government buildings.
6. What does the word “leave” mean in the 3rd line of Para 2? A. go away from a place B
B. give up; stop
C. forget to take D. cause sb. to be in a certain condition
7. How did the ANC Youth League C A. They fought against the government in a peaceful way. B. They shoot the government officials. C. They decided to answer violence with violence. fight against the government?
8. Why did Elias help Mandela blow up some government buildings? C A. Because he liked violence. B. Because it was not dangerous. C. Because he thought it was a way to make black people and white people
D. Because he wanted to be famous.
Elias’ life before meeting Mandela Information of Elias
Elias’ problem He was a poor ________ black worker. He needed to get a passbook because _________ he wanted to continue doing his work.
Black people’s problems
They had no ______. vote They couldn't get ______ jobs they wanted. They had to live in _________________ the poorest areas .
Elias’ life after meeting Mandela
Mandela told him how to get ____________ the correct papers so that he could keep his job. the ANC He joined ____________ _____________. Youth League He helped Mandela blow up some _______ government buildings.
support for Mandela
Please discuss this question:
What can we learn from the text about Nelson Mandela?
Helpfulness Bravery (勇敢) Persistence (坚持不懈) Kindness (亲切, 仁慈) Determination (坚定) ……
Find out the great qualities of Mandela according to the passage. He had opened a black law firm to advise poor black people on their problems. (Helpful) He told me how to get the correct papers so I could stay in Johannesburg. (Kind & Intelligent)
We were put in a position in which we had either to accept we were less important, or fight the Government. We chose to attack the law. We first broke the law in a way which was peaceful; when this was not allowed… only then did we decide to answer violence with violence. (Brave, Determined & Unselfish)
Match the words & phrases with the explanation.
out of work
as a matter of fact equal
A. having the same rights or being treated the same as other people. B. to tell the truth C. not having a job D. an amount of money paid to be allowed to do something such as join a club, a school, etc. E. help F. having hope
Fill in the blanks with the correct words
guidance, fee, out of work, hopeful, as a matter of fact, equal
1. His lawyer’s hourly ______ fee is 150 dollars.
2. He has been _____________ out of work for a year and
now he’s looking for a job.
3. The worker looks stupid, but
as a matter of fact he is bright. _________________,
4. All people are _______, equal so they should
share the same rights as each other. hopeful that she will come 5. I am _________ tomorrow.
6. He did the work with his teacher's guidance ___________.
1. The time when I first met Nelson
Mandela was a very difficult period
of my life.
1)period 期间, 时期, 学校的一节课, 周期
Let’s finish this period and have a break.
a period of rotation 自转周期
2) the time when… when 引起定语从句
This was a time when you had got to
have a passbook to live in Johannesburg.
Do you still remember the time when we
the time 可用于引起时间状语从句, 这时一般不加when。 I recognized him the time I saw him.
2. It was in 1952 and Mandela was the
black lawyer to whom I went for advice.
advice n. advise v.
a piece of advice 一条建议
give sb. advice on…关于…给某人建议 1) advise ab. on sth. 就……给某人出主意 I have advised you on that subject.
2) advise sb. to do sth. 建议某人干……
Our monitor advises me to practice
more spoken English.
3) advise that +(should) do
I advise that you (should) not eat fruit that isn’t ripe.
3. …and I worried about whether I would become out of work. 1) worry vi. 担心, 忧虑 be worried about=worry about /over She worries about her health. = She is worried about her health. worry that He worried that he would fail the exam. 他担心考试不及格。
worry vt. 使…担心/烦恼/焦急 worry sb. that 使某人担心
worry sb/oneself 使某人/自己担心
What’s worrying you ? It worries me that she spends so much time playing computer games.
不要发愁。Don’t worry yourself.
① I’m worried ______ B her driving the car tonight on the wet road. A. of B. about C. on D. at
② His dangerous driving always ____ D me.
A. worry about
B. worries about
C. worried about D. worries
2) out of work 失业 (做表语或后置定语) Jim has been out of work for months. The number of people out of work reached 300. His mother has been out of work for half a year. in work 有工作 Is her husband in work? out of 意为“在…之外”,“向…外”; 表示失去, 没有, 用完; 不再处于某种状况。反义词为into或in。
out of breath out of patience out of petrol out of use out of order out of control out of danger out of sight out of fashion out of date out of repair out of sight, out of mind.
上气不接下气 不耐烦 汽油用完了 没用了 出故障了 失控了 脱离危险了 看不见了 不时兴 过时 无法修葺 眼不见, 心不烦
4. The last thirty years have seen the
greatest number of laws stopping our
rights and progress, until today we have reached a stage where we have almost no rights at all. 过去三十年里出现了大量的法律来剥夺 我们的权利, 阻挡我们的进步, 直到今天 我们还处在几乎什么权利都没有的阶段。
see 在此句意为“见证, 目睹”; (在某
段时期)发生(某情况), 经历, 经受; 为某
The last few months has seen more and
more traffic accidents. The city has seen many changes.
Short forms 缩略语
S P O Att Adv Com Pre C
subject predicate object attribute adverbial complement predicative clause
主语 谓语 宾语 定语 状语 补语 表语 从句
Difficult sentences analysis We have reached a stage where we have almost no rights at all.
S. P. O.
5. vote (1) n. 投票, 选票 I gave my vote to Mr. Wang. 我投王先生的票。 The matter will be decided by vote. 此事将投票决定. (2) v. 投票; 选举 vote for sb/sth 投票支持… vote against sb./sth 投票反对… vote on sb./sth 针对…进行投票表决 As we can’t agree on this matter, let’s vote on it. 由于我们对此事没能达成一致,让我们投票 表决吧。
6. The parts of town in which they had to live were decided by white people． 他们在城里的住宅区都是由白人决定的。
they had to live in 作定语饰the parts of town。 被困在楼里的人们 the people trapped in the building
= the people who were trapped in the building
7. We were put in a position in which we had either to accept we were less important, or fight the government. 我们被置于这样一个境地: 要么我们被迫接受 低人一等的现实, 要么跟政府作斗争。 1) in which引导定语从句, 相当于where, 但意义更准确。如： After three hours’ ride, we came to the house in which he was born. 乘车3个小时后我们来到了他出生的那所房子。 Think of a place to which we can go for dinner. 想一个我们可以去吃饭的地方。
2) accept “接受”, 指的是主观上接受了
receive “收到”, 指客观收到但不一定接受
我接受了他的邀请去参加晚会。 I accepted his invitation to the party． 我收到了他的邀请, 但我没有接受。 I received his invitation,but I didn't accept.
3) either... or... private house.
You may stay either in a hotel or in a I want to visit either Paris or London. Either you or I am wrong. Either of the boys likes singing. Either boy likes singing.
8. attack n./v.
make an attack on/against/upon
攻击 /袭击/ 抨击
under attack 遭到袭击 / 抨击
a heart attack 心脏病突发
He made an attack on the government’s actions.
The government’s actions were under attack.
The death of the actor is due to a heart attack.
The enemy attacked us at night.
9. …only then did we decide to answer violence
only then 此处引起倒装句, 当only修饰状语
Only by practicing a few hours every day will
you be able to master English.
You can leave only when he comes.
= ______ Only ______ when he comes _____ can you leave.
只有在那时候, 我才知道自己错了。 Only then did I realize that I was wrong． 只有用这种办法你才能解决这个问题。 Only in this way can you solve the problem. 只有当他回来时我们才能知道秘密。 Only when he came back did we know the secret．
注意1: 主句倒装从句不倒装。 注意2: Only＋主语在句首时, 不用倒装 Only he knows the answer.
注意: 如果only所强调的为状语从句, 该状语从句不倒装, 只对主句进行倒装。
e.g. Only then did I realize the important
of English. Only when a child grows up does he understand his parents’ intentions. Only when the war was over in 1918 was he able to get happily back to work.
[即学即练] 1) Only when I left my parents for Italy ___ D how much I loved them. (08重庆) A. I realized B. I had realized C. had I realized D. did I realize 2) ___ A you eat the correct foods ___ be able to keep fit and stay healthy. (08江苏) A. only if; will you B. Only if; you will C. Unless; will you D. Unless; you will
3) It was announced that only when the
fire was under control ____ C to return
to their homes. (08江西)
A. the residents would be permitted
B. had the residents been permitted
C. would be residents be permitted
D. the residents had been permitted
4) ___ A by keeping down costs will Power
Data hold its advantage over other
C. Still D. Yet
5) Only then ___ D how much damage
had been caused. (2006陕西)
A. she realized B. she had realized C. had she realized D. did she realize
10. As a matter of fact, I do not like
violence…but in 1963 I helped him blow up some government buildings. 事实上我不喜欢暴力……但在1963年 我帮他炸了一些政府大楼. 1) as a matter of fact = in fact As a matter of fact, I don’t know the truth.
In fact No I don't work. _________, I've never
had a job. --Have you always lived here? As a matter of fact --__________________(= The truth is) I've only lived here for the last three
2) blow (sb. / sth.) up (destroy) 使充气, 爆炸, 炸毁 They threatened to __________ the blow up
plane if their demands were not met.
He drove over a landmine and his jeep
__________. blew up
11. But I was happy to help because I knew it would help us achieve our dream of making black and white people equal. 但是, 我乐于帮忙, 因为我知道, 这是为了 帮助实现我们的黑人和白人平等的梦想。 equal adj. 相等的; 平等的 equally adv. Everyone is equal under the law. 法律面前人人平等.
be equal to 等于, 相当于; 能胜任 One li is equal to half a kilometre. 一华里等于半公里。 I’m not equal to the job. Women demand e_____ qual pay for equal work. All men are born e_____. qual I’m not e_____ qual to the position.
(=I’m not fit for the position.)
12. in trouble 有麻烦, 处于不幸中 He is willing to help me whenever I am in trouble. out of trouble/ have trouble (in) doing sth. have difficulty (in) doing sth lose heart 灰心, 丧失信心 Please don’t lose heart, you still have more chances. lose one’s heart 爱上, 喜欢上 He lost his heart to her as soon as he saw the girl.
C , we must never Whenever we are in _______
lose ______ , but try to think of the way out.
A.the trouble; our heart B. troubles; hearts
C. trouble; heart make trouble put sb. to trouble D. trouble; our heart 制造麻烦 给某人添麻烦
have trouble (in) doing sth. 做某事有困难 take trouble to do sth. 费心做某事
a. ask for trouble b. get into trouble c. get sb. out of trouble d. have trouble in doing sth. 1) You are _________________ asking for trouble to do so. 你这么做是自讨苦吃。 2) I am trying hard to _____________________. get him out of trouble 我正在努力使他摆脱困境。 3) She _________________________ the has trouble in finishing reciting work on time. 按时完成背诵作业对她来说有困难。 got into trouble with the police. 4) He _______________ 他惹事落到了警察手里。
13. willing adj 乐意的, 自愿的 willingly adv will n 意志, 意志力, 意愿 be willing to do sth 愿意做某事 be willing that sb (should ) do sth 乐意让某人做某事 I’m very willing to vote for the plan. He is willing that his little son should join the army.
14. turn to 求助于, 致力于
You can turn to the people’s police for help,
no matter what kind of trouble you are in. I have turned to all the well-known
reference books for help, but so far
The doctor advised (me) taking more exercise．
Our monitor advises me to practice more
spoken English and listening.
I advise that you (should) learn English much harder.
4. 近几个月以来发生的交通事故越来越多了. The last few months has seen more and
more traffic accidents．
Yesterday saw a terrible car accident in
front of our school．
Mandela saw a great deal of suffering in his long life．
1. Learn the new words by heart. 2. Read the passage and try to retell it. 3. Find the sentences with attributive clauses and put them into Chinese.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。