Period 5 Reading
Do we have our own Valentine’s Day in China?
Qiqiaojie (乞巧节) The seventh day of the seventh lunar month（七夕）
Well-known poem 两情若是久长时, 又岂在朝朝暮
暮。 Eternal love between us two, Shall withstand the time apart.
乞 巧 节
Feb. 14th Chinese Valentine’s Day the Double Seventh Day the seventh day of the seventh lunar month
Festivals for lovers?
fell in love got married
The Goddess got angry
forced to leave each other Cross the Milky Way to meet only once a year
Zhinu, the _______ weaving girl, the most l_____ ovely of the daughters, visited the earth and met herd boy. Niulang, the _______ ell ___ in _____ love , married secretly Development They f___ and were very happy. Climax The Goddess of Heaven got so angry that Heaven . she forced Zhinu back to ________ （高潮） ollow Niulang tried to f_________ her but was stopped by the Milky Way. Thus, the ouple were separated. c_______ Ending The Goddess of Heaven allowed the couple to meet once a year on the seventh ______ day of eventh l_______ unar the s_______ month when magpies bridge of their wings. made a _________
Structure of a narrative (叙述文) story
Introduction Zhinu, the weaving girl, the most lovely of the daughters, visited the earth and met Niulang, the Introduction herd boy.
They fell in love , married secretly and were very happy. Development Climax The Goddess of Heaven got so angry that she forced Zhinu back to heaven . Niulang tried to （高潮） follow her but was stopped by the Milky Way. Thus, Climax 高潮 the couple were separated. Ending The Goddess of Heaven allowed the couple to meet The Goddess of Heaven allowed the couple once a year on the seventh day of the seventh to meet once a year on the seventh day of lunar month when magpies make a bridge of their Ending the seventh lunar month when magpies wings.
made a bridge of their wings.
another narrative story about Li Fang and Hu Jin on Valentine’s Day
Li Fang was waiting alone at the ________ coffee shop with his roses and chocolates, but up . He thought Hu Jin didn’t turn ______ ______ she ord fool would keep her w_______. Feeling like a ______, drown he would _________ his sadness in coffee. Li Fang watched a TV program about “Qiqiaojie . Thinking Hu Jin played trick / ” joke threw a et __________________ on him, he t________ away the gifts and s_____ off for home.
Climax （高潮） / Ending As Li Fang passed the _____ shop on the corner, he heard Hu Jin calling andgift waving at him, “I’ve been waiting long. I have a ______ for you! Why are you so late?” forgive What would he do? Would she f________ him?
Structure of a narrative (叙述文) story
Introduction Li Fang was waiting alone at the coffee shop with his roses and chocolates, but Hu Jin didn’t turn up. Introduction He thought she would keep her word. Feeling like a fool, he would drown his sadness in coffee. Development Development Li Fang watched a TV program about “Qiqiaojie”. Thinking Hu Jin played a trick on Climax 高潮 / him, Ending he threw away the gifts and set off for home. Climax As Li Fang passed the tea shop on the corner, he As Li Fang passed the tea shop on the corner, he heard heard Hu Jin calling and waving at him, “ I ’ ve （高潮） Hu Jin calling and waving at I him, I’for ve been waiting been waiting long. have“ a gift you! Why are you / Ending late? ”you! Why are you so late?” long. I have aso gift for What would he do? Would she forgive him?
What would he do? Would she forgive him?
A sad love story
1. He was sad that Hu Jin didn’t turn up. 2. The story of Qiqiaojie made him sad. 3. Sadly, he threw away his love gifts. 4. He was sad to have thrown away his love gifts when he heard Hu Jin calling him. 5. He was sad that this Valentine’s Day wouldn’t be a happy Valentine’s Day.
True or false
1. Hu Jin failed to meet Li Fang at 7:00. T 2. If it is raining on Qiqiaojie, it means that Zhinu is weeping and the couple will be able to meet. F
3. Because her most lovely daughter got married to a human secretly, the Goddess got more than angry. T
4. Li Fang thought he could get married to Hu Jin, just like Niulang and Zhinu. T 5. When Li Fang met Hu Jin, he felt very glad. F
Reading-II (10m): Answer
the following questions:
1.How did Li Fang feel at the beginning of the story? why?
He felt like a fool. Because he thought that he was waiting with hope. 2.What was Li Fang afraid that Hu Jin was doing?
He was afraid that she was with her friend laughing at him.
3. How did Li Fang know the manager wanted to shut the coffee shop? The manager wiped the tables then sat down and turned the TV. 4. Why did people want the weather to be fine on Qiqiaojie? People wanted the weather to be fine so they can meet the one they love.
5. What is the reason why Li Fang did not meet on time? Because Li Fang waited in the coffee shop while Hu Jin waited in the teashop. 6.How did Li Fang feel at the end of the story? Why? He was worried because he has thrown away Hu Jin’s Valentine’s gifts.
heart-broken look forward to
not turn up
not keep her word
with his roses and chocolates
Task 2 Discussion
What’s the reason for Li Fang to lose his love?
?no communication ?no perseverance ?…
? trust ?confidence ?communication ?perseverance ?…
Task 3 Further Discussion How can China be accepted by the world?
? make us stronger ? open our mind
? accept new ideas
? catch more chances ? …
What are the differences and similarities between the two festivals?
How should we treat Chinese traditional festivals and some western festivals?
Nowadays, some people pay more attention to Valentine’s Day than Qiqiaojie, which was once one of the most popular festivals in ancient China. Anyway, each festival in China has its own tale and meaning. So we should hold on to our own festivals and culture, as well as pass them on from generation to generation. We should never allow some western festivals to take the place of Chinese traditional festivals.
1. But she didn’t turn up.
1) 出现, 出席(某活动)
I’m very happy you turned up so early. 2) 把(收音机等)音量开大一些, 其 反义短语是turn down.
Turn up the radio a little, I can scarcely hear the program. 相关短语:
turn down turn off turn in turn out turn to sb. for help turn over turn against 拒绝,调小 关掉 上交 结果是...... 向某人求助 移交，翻身 背叛，反抗
2. keep her word keep one’s word 意为“守信用”,其反 义词是break one’s word, 即“失信”。 He is a man who always keeps his word. Don’t break your word, otherwise, no one will trust you. 注意：keep one’s word和break one’s word中的名词word不能用复数形式。
相关短语： in a word/in short/to be short 简言之；总之
have a word with sb. 与某人谈话 have words with sb. 与某人发生口角
in other words
A gentleman should always __ his __.
A. keeps; word B. keep; word B C. keeps; words D. keep; words
3. hold one’s breath = stop breathing for a time 屏息 当那个女孩看到那条蛇的时候，她屏住呼吸。 The girl held her breath at the sight of the snake. 我们屏住呼吸等着看看会发生什么事。 We held our breath and waited to see what would happen.
be out of breath 上气不接下气 draw a deep breath 深呼吸
4. apologize apologize to sb for (doing) sth = say sorry to sb for doing sth =make an apology to sb for (doing) sth
你必须为你的粗鲁行为/迟到向老师道歉。 You must apologize to the teacher for being so rude./your coming late.
5. drown (drowned, drowned ) 1) 浸，泡 所有的街道都被洪水淹没了。 All the streets were drowned by the flood. 厨师把水果浸在奶油里。 The cook drowned the fruit with cream. 2） 淹死 河里有一个落水的人。
There is a drowning man in the river. 借… 消愁 drown one’s sorrow/sadness in… He drowned himself in work.他埋头工作。
6.obvious adj. 1) obvious+ to + 表示人的名词或代词 Her disappointment was obvious to her friend. 明显的， 清楚的
2) It + be + obvious +that-clause 明显，显而易见…. It was obvious that she was in danger. It is obvious that you are wrong.
7.marry 的用法： 1) 她嫁给了一个律师。 She married a lawyer. 表示“和......结婚”，“嫁......”， “娶......”时，marry为及物动词，要用 marry sb.，而不用marry with sb. 2) 她和一位律师结婚了。 She was married to a lawyer.
表示婚姻状态, 后接宾语时要用介 词to， 而不用with. 3) 他们结婚三年了。 They have been married for three years.
=They got married three years ago. =It’s three years since they got married.
注意：marry和get married 都表示短
暂行为，不能和表示一段时间的短语连 用，而have been married则表示婚姻
Seeing the picture 1._______________________ （看到这张照片） he couldn’t help thinking of his childhood. Being ill 2.__________________( 因为病了)，he didn’t come to school. leaving her a big house 3.His father died last year,__________________
9. As Li Fang set off for home, he
set off: 动身, 出发; 使（地雷、炸弹）
Tom and his father set off for America yesterday. The bomb set off among the crowd.
Set out to do set in
set about doing sth. 着手（做某事）
10. remind sb. of sth提醒某人某事 remind sb to do sth remind sb that… 他提醒我那个承诺。 He reminded me of my promise. 他提醒我要早起。 He reminded me to get up early. 他提醒我本应该小心点。 He reminded that I should have been more careful.
11. forgive (forgave, forgiven) forgive sb. (for) sth.原谅某人某事 =excuse/pardon sb. for doing sth. 请原谅他的粗鲁吧。 Please forgive him for his rudeness. 我永远也不会原谅你昨晚所说的话。 I will never forgive you for what you said yesterday. Please forgive him for not going to your birthday party.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。