How much do you know about the Olympic Games?
1. Where did the ancient Olympic Games
A. Athens, Greece B. Olympia, Greece
Olympia, in Greece
4. How many countries competed in the ancient Olympic Games?
How many countries competed in the ancient Olympic Games?
Only one, Greece
3. Who could not take part in the ancient Olympic Games?
slaves and women
4. When and where did the modern Olympic Games start?
A. 1986 in Sydney B. 1896 in Athens C. 1698 in Olympia
5. Who was China’s first gold medal winner and for what event?
A. Zeng Guoqiang; weighting
B. Xu Haifeng; shooting
C. Xu Haifeng; weighting
6. What are the three words that show the spirit of the Olympic Games?
7. What do the five rings on the Olympic flag stand for?
The five rings stand for friendship of five continents.
8. What are the official mascots for the 2008 Beijing Olympics?
BeiBei JingJing HuanHuan YingYing
Flame Antelope Swallow
16. When and where will the next Olympic Games be held?
The next Olympic games will be held in London in 2012.
Brief History of the Olympics
776 BC, Olympia in Greece Ancient Olympics 393AD 1896, Athens in Greece Modern Olympics
ancient compete take part in medal stand for mascot
We were deeply attracted by the ancient building.
补充：in ancient times
in modern times 在现代
用适当的介词填空： 1. My brother competed _____ a place in his company for but he didn’t get it. 2. They competed ______ the Olympic Games. in
3. The USA competes _______________ other countries against / with
for _______ the world market.
take part in take part in / join in / join / attend
joined 1. My brother _______ the army last year. join 2. Would you like to ______ us? joined in / took part in 3. John __________________ many school activities. attend 4. Why didn’t you ________ the meeting yesterday?
medals decorated with jade
silver medal gold medal bronze medal
stand for 1. What do the letters USA stand for? 2. The letters PRC _______ the People’s Republic of China. A stand by B stand for C stand out D stand up
copyright ©right 2010-2020。