Unit 1 Friendship 一、 单词拼写
1. When learning English, it is quite important to develop the ability of____________ (交际). 2. Failing in the examination again ____
_______ (心烦意乱) her a lot. 3. Those who are in difficult s___________ usually work harder to get out of it. 4. As an e__________ of the newspaper, I should be responsible for what is printed in it. 5. He was punished by the school because of his c____________ in the exam. 6. Many t__________ are so crazy about football that they get up to watch football games at midnight. 7. My English is very friendly to us. She often gives us some a_________ on learning English. 8. It’s quite n_________ for a person to refuse the offer of help from strangers. 9. What is the r_________ for your absence of yesterday’s meeting? 10. Dancing with the rich in the party, he had a f_________ of being laughed at.
face to face reason
concern about point
1. Every time he __________ the figures, he gets a different answer. 2. They are ___________ with a new problem which they must solve at once. 3. I am not in the ___________ of going to see a film in the day. 4. She ____________ all the things she had to buy. 5. What are the _____________ to look for when you are buying a new computer. 6. She just suddenly left without giving any_____________. 7. We _____________ the cost of the meal.
8. Mr. Zhang ____________ heavy loses in the accident. 9. She has _____________ an unhappy time recently. 10. She thinks only of herself, she never ______________ other people.
1． 努力去做某事________________________ 2． 根据_____________________ 3． 对……很狂热______________________ 4． 度假_________________ 5． 关心__________________ 6． 镇定下来______________________ 7． 与……相处得好\不好________________________ 8． 有……的麻烦______________________ 9． 经历，经受___________________________ 10． 故意________________________
Unit 2 English around the word 一、单词拼写 1． He looks handsome and gentle, but a_________ he is a thief. 2. Pronunciation and grammar is quite important in English learning. And so is
v____________. 3. He went to Britain, hoping to learn s___________ English there. 4. “A____________ ” is often used in American English while “flat” is used in British English. 5. Some English people have a strong a__________ , which adds difficulties to our understanding of them. 6. Many s__________ have been built in Guangzhou. As a result, people can travel much faster than before. 7. If you don’t know how to use the medicine, read the d____________ carefully before using it.
8. Our city used to be very old, but now it has become a m______ one. 9. When we are in other countries, we should respect the c___________ there. 10. Excuse me, Professor Li, can you be p_________ at our meeting tomorrow? 二、单项选择： 1． I can hardly _____ my friend John who is wearing dark glasses. A. know B. see C. recognize D. realize
2. Western dinner usually ________ an aperitif, main course, dessert and coffee. A. includes B. is C. remains D. holds
3. Hong Kong was once ________ by the British before she returned to China in 1997. A. commended B. ruled C. managed D. controlled
4. I request that you __________ the task on time. A. finished B. should finish C. could finish D. would finish
5. _________ which direction should we go, west or east? A. On B. To C. In D. With
6. Mike is always gentle and __________. He is a man of culture. A. pleased B. amazing C. happy D. polite
7. It is said that living ________ nature may help people live longer. A. came to B. far from C. close D. closely
8. The problem ________ at the meeting yesterday. A. came to B. came across C. came up D. came up with
9. We should ________ to study. A. make time good used C. use of time B. make good uses of time D. make good use of time.
10. The famous film is ________ a Chinese fairy tale. A. basing at B. a\based in C. bases on D. to base at
Unit 3 Travel Journal 一、单词拼写 1. At the party the foreign teacher was r__________ to sing some songs. 2. He is a s__________ person. Once he has made up his mind, he will not change. 3. Though we have learned English for two years, we can’t communicate with native speakers p__________. 4. The goods will be t_______ to Hong Kong by ship. 5. I advised him not to join them. F________ he accepted my advice. 6. Being a fan of Liu Dehua, she buys every music r_______ that is produced by him. 7. What’s your a_______ to wearing jewelry to school. 8. At last we were persuaded to _____________ (骑自行车)around China. 9. Writhing travel j_________ makes you think more and enjoy more. 10. I am so _________ (熟悉) with him that I recognized his voice the moment I picked up the telephone. 二、选词填空, 注意形式。 record determine give in treat dream altitude change one’s mind so far
be familiar to 1.
Once she is determined to do something, it is impossible to get her
to____________. 2. Nowadays, many young children would like to bargain with their parents when asking
for money. Unfortunately their parents seldom ___________.
3. 4. 5. 6. changes. 7. 8. 9. 10.
They insisted they ________ equally. Pop songs _____usually __________ teenagers. He was born in Shandong Province and _______ there. She gave me a ___________ look, which suggested that she would never make any
She often _______ that she would become a famous singer one day. They have been to seven European countries ___________. After it leaves the high _________, the river becomes wide and runs into the sea. He won another gold medal as he set a new ___________ in the 100m dash. Unit 4 Eathquakes
一、单词拼写 1. Older students were having difficulty in studying and o_________ themselves. 2. That place is dirty and s_________. 3. In the city, the water pipes in some buildings cracked and b________. 4. People began to wonder how long the d_________ would last. 5. F_________ water was taken to the city by train, truck and plane. 6. Everywhere they looked nearly everything was d__________. 7. The railway tracks were now u_______ pieces of steel. 8. Without _________ (电)，modern life would be very difficult. 9. __________ (判断)from his appearance, the manger must be over fifty. 10. Dead and ________ (受伤的)people lay everywhere after the terrible accident. 二、单项选择 1．The houses across the street are _______ , but they were in good condition a few years ago. A. in rows B. in ruins C. in number D. in detail
2. The boy was so careful that he ________ the street and broke his leg. A. fell down B. fell over C. fell off D. fell onto
3. He was a warm-hearted and hard working man, and________ by his classmates. A. high thought of B. highly thought of C. badly thought of D. was well thought 4. ---They used to be good friends, but now they are like strangers.
---How ______ this ________ ? A. does; come about C. were; taken place B. did; come about D. were happened
5. ______ will be built here next year. A. A great deal C. A large number of B. A large amount of D. The number of
6. After living in Paris for 50 years, he returned to the small town ______ he grow up as a child. A. which B. that C. when D. where
7. Do you remember the place _____ we visited last year? A. that B. where C. when D. in which
8. I don’t like _____ you speak to her. A. the way B. the way in that C. the way which D. the way of which
9. ________ the machin e begins to work, you can’t stop it _____. A. While; soon B. For; right away C. Once; at once D. Until; immediately
10. In the country sales of fruits and vegetables________ 38% in the last 3 years. A. have risen by 三、短语翻译 1． 立刻，马上___________________ 2． 结束，终结___________________ 3. 以……为自豪_________________________ 4. 许多，大量的____________________________ 5. 分发，发出（气味，热等）__________________ Unit 5 Nelson Mandela—a modern hero 一、单词拼写 1. Q_______ is more important than quantity. 2. After 4 years’ university study, he ______ his study for a bachelor’s degree. 3. She is not only beautiful, but also well e________. 4. She did a very good job and got a r_______ from the company. 5. I hated being treated with v________. B. have raised to C. has lifted on D. has got into
6. The c_______ of life put an end to his life. 7. In our country people of or over 18 have the right to v________. 8. The event has put him into an embarrassing p___________. 9. Boys are usually not a_________ in English class. 10. He broke the law and was put in p________. 二、短语翻译(每空一词)。 1．刚开学的那天，我们的老师就给我们提了一些学习英语的建议。 On the very first day of school, our teacher __________ us ___________ English learning. 2． 大多数下岗的人员都是文化不高的人。 Most of the people who ___ ____ ___ _____ usually have little education. 3． 别灰心， 你会成功的。 Don’t _____ _____. You will succeed. 4. 相信自己，别相信他的鬼话。 ______ ______ yourself. Don’t ___________ him. 5. 大学尚未毕业，他就创办了自己的公司。 He _____ ______ his own company before graduating from college. 6. 他从不为考试担心。 He ______never ______ ______ _______ examination. 7. 只有通过努力拼搏， 才能实现自己的梦想。 Only by working hard _____ you _________ your dream. 8. 我们决不能嘲笑那些陷入困境的人，相反，我们应该帮助他们。 We should never laugh at those ______ ________. On the contrary, we should try our best to help them. 9. 他上台后就推出了一系列的改革方案。 After ______ ______ _________, he carried out a series of reform. 10. 他乐于助人。 He ______ ______ _____ ______ others.
参考答案 Unit 1 一、 1. communication 6. teenagers 二、 1. adds up 7. shared 7. advice 2. upset 8. natural 3. situation 9. reason 3. habit 4. editor 10. feeling 4. listed 5. points 6. reason 5. cheating
2. face to face 8. suffe r
9. gone through 2. according to
10. concerns herself about \ with 3. be crazy about
三、1．Make an effort to do sth. 4. on holiday
5. be concerned about
6. calm down 8. have trouble with 9. go through
7. get on \ along well \ badly with…. 10. on purpose Unit 2 一、1. actually 6. subways 二、1-5 CABBC Unit 3 一、 1. requested 6. record 2. stubborn 7. attitude 2. vocabulary 7.directions 6-10 DACDB
3. standard 8. modern
4. Apartment 9. culture
5. accent 10. present
3. properly 8. cycle
4. transported 9. journals
10. familiar 4. are, familiar to
二、1. change her mind 5. brought up 10. record Unit 4 一、1. organizing 7. useless
2. give in
3. be treated 7. dreamed
8. so far
3. burst 9. Judging
4. disaster 10. injured
二、1-5 CCBBC 三、 1． right away Unit 5 一、 1. Quality 7. vote
6-10 DAACA 2. at an end 3. be proud of 4. a (large) number of 5. give out
2. continued 9. active
3. educated 10. prison
二、 1. advised; on 5. set up
2. are out of work
3. lose heart
4. Believe in; believe 8. in trouble
6. has; been worried about
7. can; realize
9. coming to power
10. is willing to help
Unit 1 Friendship Word usage 1.add (to) v. 1) to put together with something else so as to increase the number, size, or importance; 2) to join (numbers or amounts ) so as to find the total. eg: The fire is going out; will y ou add some wood? The snowstorm added to our difficulties. Add up these figures for me, please.
2.ignore v. to take no notice of; refuse to pay attention to eg: His letters were ignored. Even the best of men ignored that simple rule. My advice was completely ignored.
3. concern v. 使担心;使不安 (+about/for); 涉及,关系到;影响到 eg: The boy's poor health concerned his parents. He is concerned for her safety. The news concerns your brother. He was very concerned about her.
adj. not firmly or tightly fixed.
She wore loose garments in the summer. I have got a loose tooth. Some loose pages fell out of the book.
n. [C] an intention or plan; a person’s reason for an action.
What is the purpose of his visit? The purpose of a trap is to catch and hold animals. Did you come to London to see your family, or for business purpose?
6. series n. (of) a group of things of the same kind or related in some way, coming one after another or in order. Then began a series of wet days that spoiled our vacation. This pu blishing firm is planning a new series of school textbooks. They carried out a series of experiments to test the new drug.
7. cheat. 1) v. to behave in a dishonest way in order to win an advantage; 2) n. a person who cheats; dishonest persons They cheated the old woman of her house and money. The salesman cheated me into buying a fake. He never cheated in exams. I see you drop that card, you cheat! I never thought that Sam is a cheat.
8. share 1) vt.&vi. (in\with\ amount\between) to have, use or take part in something with others or among a group. 2) n. (in\of) the part belongs to, owed to or done by a particular person. The money was shared out between them. Sam and I share a room. We shared in his joy. They always share their happiness and sorrow. I have done my share of the work.
9. crazy adj. 1) mad ; foolish 2) [+about] wildly excited; very interested You're crazy to go out in this stormy weather. John's crazy about that girl.
She is just crazy about dancing.
10. dare v.& v.aux.. 1) + to do; 2) + v to be brave enough or rude enough (to do sth. dangerous, difficult or unpleasant). How dare you accuse me of lying! How dare you ask me such a question? My younger sister dare not go out alone. He did not dare to leave his car there.
11. trust 1) n. [U] (in) form believe in the honesty, goodness or worth etc, of someone or something 2) v. to believe in the honesty and worth of someone or something; have confidence in I have no trust in him. I don’t place any trust in the government’s promises. Why do you trust a guy like him? I trust your wife will soon get well.
12. suffer v. (for) to experience pain, difficulty or loss I cannot suffer such rudeness. He suffered from poverty all his life. My father suffers from high blood pressure. They suff ered a great deal in those days.
13. advice n. [U] opinion given to someone about what they should do in a particular situation →v. advise to give advice to I want your advice, sir. I don't know what to do. I asked the doctor for her advice. I f you take my advice, you won’t tell anyone about this. He gave them some good\ sound advice.
14. communicate v. 1) (to) to make (opinions, feelings, information etc. ) known or understood by others. e.g. by speech, writing or body movements; 2) (with) to share or exchange opinions, feelings, information etc. Our teacher communicates his idea very clearly. He had no way to communicate with his brother. Did she communicate my wishes to you? We learn a language in order to communicate. Deaf people use sign language to communicate. 15. calm 1) adj. free from excitement, nervous activity or strong feelings; quiet 2) n. [U] peace and quiet 3) v. to make calm You must try to be calm. The high wind passed and the sea was calm again. The police chief advised his men to stay \ keep calm and not lose their tempers. There was a calm on the sea. She calmed the baby by giving him some milk. We calmed the old lady down.
Useful expressions: 1.add up to join (numbers or amounts ) so as to find the total. Add up 3, 4 and 5 and you'll get 12. Add up your score and see how many points you can get. If we add these marks up, we'll get a total of 90.
2.calm down to make or become calm Calm down, sir. What's the trouble? Just calm down, there’s nothing to worry about! We tried to calm him down, but he keep shouting.
3.be concerned about \with to worry or interest
My parents are concerned about my studies.
Don’t concern yourself about \ with other people’s affairs. She’s concerned about his son’s future.
4.go through 1) to suffer or experience; 2) to look at or examine carefully; 3) to pass through or be accepted The country has gone through too many wars. The new law did not go through. Let’s go through it again, this time with the music.
5.set down 1) to make a written record of; write down 2) put down I have set down everything that happened. I will set down the story as it was told to me. Please set me down at the next corner.
6.a series of + pl. & n 做主语时，谓语动词用单数 一连串的，一系列的，连续的 There has been a series of car accidents at the crossing. These days I have read a series of articles on reading. A series of TV play is on Channel 1 these days.
7.on purpose intentionally; with a particular stated intention He did it on purpose. “I am sorry I stepped on your toe; it was an accident.” “It wasn’t! You do it on purpose.”
I came here on purpose to see you.
8.according to as stated by sb. or sth. They divided themselves into three groups according to age. Please arrange the books according to size. According to the Bible, Adam was the first man. According to her, grandfather called at noon.
9.fall in love begin to be in love (with sb.) They fell in love at once; it was love at first sight. What will he do if his daughter falls in love with a poor man? They fell in love with each other for years.
to take part in (an activity) They are going to join in the singing. She started dancing and we all joined in. Would you like to join in my birthday party?
Unit 2 English around the word Word usage
1. include v.
a) contain eg. The price includes both house and furniture. b) embrace thing as part of whole eg. I include him among my friends.
a) adj: being at hand; being now 出席的, 在场的;现在的, 当前的 该词可做前置定语也可做
后置定语，当它做前置定语其义为“现在的”， 做后置定语其义为“出席的” eg. The present members 现在的成员
The members present 在场的成员 b) n: gift eg. He often gave his neighbor's kids little presents. C)vt: to offer 赠送,呈献[(+to/with)] eg. They presented him with a bunch of flowers.
n: [C][U] understanding of literature, art, music, etc eg. He has studied the cultures of many western countries. 4．identity n: who or what a person or thing is eg. You should show your identity card before you enter it. 5．rule a) n:custom or statement about what must not be done eg. He’s made it a rule to rise early. It’s against the rules of the school to smoke. b) vt: to govern or control c) eg. The queen ruled her country for 20 years. 6． Request
a) vt: to ask for b) eg. They requested financial support. 注意：这个词所接的宾语从句要用虚拟语气 I requested that he (should) come an hour earlier. B )n: asking or being asked eg. Mr. Paine made a request that I should help him. 7.command a) vt: give orders to eg. I command you to start at once. 注意：这个词所接的宾语从句要用虚拟语气 I command that you (should) start at once.
b) n: order eg. The army received the command to fire. 8．Actually adv eg. She looks young, but she's actually 50. Did you actually see him break the window? 9．International adj: of relating to or involving two or more countries in the world 国际的 eg. They are dealing with the international affairs. Many African countries received international help. 10.modern adj: recent eg. This is a book of modern history. There is a modern hospital. 11. vocabulary n: all the words of language eg. Wide reading will increase your vocabulary. My English vocabulary is limited. 12.rapidly adv: quickly eg. Our country develops rapidly. The number of learning English is increasing rapidly. 13.retell v: tell something once more eg. Can you retell the story in your own word? The teacher asked you to retell it. 14.recognize v: to identify from previous experience eg. He looked at the envelope and recognized Jenny's handwriting immediately. The policeman recognized her as a thief. 15. government n: group which govern a country or a certain area eg. The government will decide the matter. The government is discussing the problem.
Useful expressions 1.play a part/ role in: to act or to be involved in an activity eg. He has played an important part in carrying out the whole plan.
English plays an important role in international communication. 2. because of：by reason of sb or sth eg. Because of the storm he didn't go there. because of 与 because 的区别，前者后接名词或代词，后者接句子 eg. He didn’t go to school because he was ill. He didn’t go to school because of his illness. 3．come up eg. She came up and said, "Glad to meet you." The moon came up gradually. I'll let him know if anything comes up.
4. such as: like; for example
eg. I like drinks such as tea and coffee. such as 与 for example 的区别，前者用来罗列事物或人后者用来举例说明 eg. English is also spoken in many places, such as Africa and Asia. For example, Tom has the same opinion.
Unit 3 Travel Journal Word usage 1.fare n. 费用 1) How much is the air fare to Beijing? 2) a single/one-way fare 单程票价 2.transport n.& vt. 运输;运送 transport from…to 从……运输到
1) The transport of vegetables from the farm to the market takes only half an hour. 2) The yellow bus transport passengers from the airport to the city. 3.persuade vt. 说服, 劝服 persuade sb. to do = persuade sb. into doing 说服某人做 persuade sb. not to do = persuade sb. out of sth./doing 说服某人别做,劝阻某人做 persuade sb. of sth. = persuade sb. + that…使某人相信 1) The salesman persuaded us to buy/into buying his product.
2) The hunter persuaded us not to walk/ out of walking through the thick forest alone. 3) He tried to persuade me of his honesty. = He tried to persuade me that he was honest. 4.insist vt. 坚持,坚决主张 insist on/ upon doing 坚决做,坚持做 insist on one’s doing 坚持要某人做 insist that 坚持认为;坚持说 1) She insisted on / upon (our) going to Beijing by air as it was more comfortable. 2) We insisted that father (should) give up smoking for the good of his own health. 5. proper properly adj.恰当的,正确的 adv. = in a proper way
be proper for 对…… 恰当合适 It is proper for sb. to do = It is proper that…某人做某事是妥当的 behave properly 举止有礼 properly speaking 严格地说 1) Is it proper for you to wear a cap while eating? = Is it proper that you should wear a cap while eating? 2) It is not proper to be late for a dinner party. 6. determine v. 决定,决心,确定
determine to do 决定做 determine sb. to do 使某人下决心做 be determined to do 决心做 1) He firmly determined to rise in the world whatever it took. 2) She determined that she would never see him again. 3) She was determined to go to university. 7. change one’s mind 改变主意 1) Once he has made up his mind, nothing can be done to change his mind. 2) make up one’s mind 某人下定决心 8. at an altitude of = at a height of 在海拔……米处 1) The plane is flying at a height/ altitude of 10000 feet. 9. give in
give in to sb. 向某人让步, 屈服于某人 1) The mother gave in and bought a toy for her child. 2) He had to give in to my views.
Unit 4 Earthquakes Word usage 1.shake 1)v. (shook, shaken) to (cause to) move up and down or from side to side with quick short movements. 2) n. [C usually sing.] an act of shaking The house shook when the earthquake started. Shake the bottle before taking the medicine. He came forward and shook me by the hand. =He came forward and shook hands with me. He was shaking with anger. She answered “no” with a shake of the head.
1) vi. (rose, risen) to move from a lower to a higher level or position; go up
2) n. [C
(in)] an increase in quantity, price, demand etc. The sun has not yet risen. The population of the city has risen to five million. He rose and left the room. There will be a rise in unemployment next year. There’s been a sharp rise in the cost of living. 2.pond n. an area of still water smaller than a lake, especially one that has been artificially made Some cattle were drinking at the pond. There are some fish living in the pond. When an earthquake is coming, fish will jump out of ponds. 3.burst 1) v. to (cause to ) break open or break apart suddenly and violently, usually as a
result of pressure from within and often cause the contents to become widely scattered. 2) n. an act of result of bursting; (of) a sudden short period of great activity, loud noise, strong
feeling; outbreak The balloon burst. After ten days of rain the river burst its banks. A burst of hand-clapping followed the ending of the song. 4. canal n. an artificial stretch of water dug in the ground to allow ships or boats to travel along
it, or to bring water to or remove water from an area Coal used to be sent here by canal. Canals have been built to irrigate the desert. The Panama Canal joins two oceans. 5.steam n. [U] 1) water in the state gas produced by boiling 2) power or effort produced by steam under pressure, and used for making things work or move Who invented the steam engine? Steam was used to be the power of a train. There is steam bursting from that hole. 6.ruin 1. n. a) [U] the cause or state of destruction and decay b) [C] a building that has been badly damaged or destroyed 2. vt. a) to spoil or completely destroy a person or thing b) to cause someone to loss all their money The temple has fallen into ruin. We visited the ruins of the temple. The heavy rain ruined our holiday. The hurricane ruined all the houses here. The flood ruined the crops. If I lose my lawsuit(官司), the cost will ruin me. 7.injure vt. to cause physical harm to (a person or animal), especially in an accident; hurt seriously; to damage I hope I didn't injure her feelings. His back was injured. Two people were killed and seven were injured.
His reputation will be badly injured by the vicious rumour. 8.destroy vt. existence of; ruin A fire destroyed the house. What he said destroyed our last hope. All hopes of peaceful settlement were destroyed by his speech. 9.brick n. [C,U] 1) a hard piece of baked clay us ed for building 2) sth. in the shape of a brick They used yellow bricks to build the house. The tower is made of bricks. Bricks covered the ground like red autumn leaves. 10. useless adj. not of any use to damage sth so severely that it can not be repaired; put an end to the
This knife is so blunt. It’s useless. I realized it was useless to reason with him. I was useless at maths. = My maths is very poor. 11. shock 1) n. a) [C, U] a violent force from sth such as explosion, a crash or a hard blow b) [C, U] the feeling you get after sth unexpected and usually very unpleasant has suddenly happened, or you have received an unexpected piece of news c) the poor medical condition of someone who has an accident and whose heart and lungs are not working properly 2) v. to make someone feel very upset, angry, or unpleasant Earthquake shocks are often felt in Japan. The news of his death was a shock to us. The traffic accident sent him into a state of shock. They were shocked by her rudeness. We were shocked by his sudden death. 12. rescue v. to save someone or sth from harm or danger
He rescued three children from the burning building. The life boat was sent out to rescue the sailors from the sinking ship. The boy was rescued after hours at sea.
disaster n. [C,U] a sudden event causes great loss or harm We were all shocked by the disaster.
The earthquake is one of the worst natural disasters the country has ever suffered. People began to wonder how long the disaster would last. 14. organize v. to plan and arrange an event; to arrange things in a sensible order We'll organize an oral English contest. The story is very well organized. They organized the truckers into a union. 15. that shelter 1) n. a) [U] protection, especially from bad weather or danger b) a building protects you from weather or danger.
2) vt. to protect someone or sth from bad weather or danger; vi. to stay in a place in order to be protected from bad weather or danger The umbrella is a poor shelter from heavy rain. Their immediate need is for food, clothing and shelter. The wall sheltered us from the wind. She was accused of sheltering a murderer. She wad sheltered by the USA. In the rain people were sheltering in the doorways of shops. 16. fresh adj. 1) new and different (only before a noun ); 2) recently picked, caught,
produced and therefore in good condition (used of food); 3) clean, cool and pleasant They buy fresh meat. This kind of fish lives in fresh water. She is fresh from university. She is quite fresh to office work. 17. percent n. parts for each 100 The bank has increased its interest rate by one percent. Over ninety percent of the islanders here are illiterate. He spends a large percent of his income on food and drink. 18. speech n. 1) [C] a formal talk to a group of listeners
2) [U] the ability to speak or the act of speaking 3) [U] way of speaking The chairman made an opening speech. She is researching speech development in children. We express our thoughts by speech. By your speech I can tell you're from Hong Kong. 19. judge 1) vi. & vt. to decide who or what is the winner in a competition 2) [vt. + that] to form or give an opinion about someone or sth after careful thought judging from, judging by… 3) n. a public official who has the power to decide questions brought before a court of law; a person who has the knowledge and experience to give an opinion about the value of sth You can't judge a book by its cover. He is going to judge the first race. We must judge whether he is guilty. The prisoner was taken before the judge. He was one of the judges at the horse race.
20. honour 1) n. a) [U] great respect and admiration
b) [sing] sth that brings great respect and pride 2) v. to show respect to sb. or to praise sb. publicly We fight for the honor of our country. He is an honor to our school. Children should be taught to show honor to their elders. He honors his teachers. 20. prepare 1) vt. to make sth. ready for a future event or action 2) vi. to get ready to do sth. They prepared themselves for the worst. When we arrived home, mother had already prepared dinner for us. I was preparing for bed when I heard a knock at the door.
Useful expressions 1.right away at once ; in no time; immediately I will return the book right away. I am getting in touch with him right away. We are about to start right away. 2.end 1) at an end finish; over It seems that the world was at en end. 2) bring… to an end ＝put an end to… I wonder how I can bring the dispute to an end. ＝I wond er how I can put an end to the dispute. 3) come to an end The meeting came to an end at midnight. 4) at the end of… At the end of the road there is a shop. 5) by the end of… How many English words have you learned by the end of last term? 6) in the end =at last; finally He will be a scientist in the end. 3.dig out 1) 2) to get sth out of a place, using a spade or your hands to find sth you have not seen for a long time, or that is not easy to find
Let’s dig out the roots. Why did you dig out all those old magazines? We must dig the truth out of him. 4.a (good \ great \ large) number of+ n.(pl.) many; a large quantity of; a lot of
A good number of students are not interested in modern art. I’ve seen the film a number of times. The Great Wall attracts a great number of foreign tourists every day.
the number of… The number of private colleges has increased. = Private colleges have increased in number. ５. give out
1) to give sth to a number of different people, especially to give information to people 2) to produce light, heat, a sound, a gas, smell etc You have no right to give my telephone number out. Students were giving out leaflets(传单)to everyone on the street. The teacher gave out the examination papers. The radiator (散热器) is giving out a lot of heat. 与 give 有关的常用短语还有： give away 送掉，捐赠 give in 让步，屈服 give off 发出（气味、光、热、声音等） ，此时相当于 give out give up 放弃 give back 归还 ６. thousands of 基数词＋s，并不表示确切的具体数字，可以单独使用，也可以先接介词 of 再接复数名 词。 There are thousands of people in the park on May Day. Thousands of people died of hunger. Mr. Smith gave thousands of books to the school. 注意：tens of thousands of 数以百万计的 hundreds of hundreds of 成百上千的 hundreds of thousands of millions of 数百万的 数十万的
Unit 5 Nelson Mandela — a modern hero Word usage 1.willing adj: desiring to do what is wanted; not objecting eg. They are willing to come. eg. He is willing to do the job without payment.’ 2.prison n: building for confining person convicted or accused of a crime eg. He was sent to prison for damaging public property. 词组 be in prison 在狱中， eg .He is now still in prison. put /throw sb into prison 把某人投入监狱 The two noblemen put/ threw Dr. Manette into prison without mercy. 3．Law n a)system of rules which are used to govern the conduct of a nation eg. He was against the law of the country, as a result, he was sentenced to death. b) th e science or study of such rules eg. He is interested in the laws of nature. 3.advise v: suggest eg. We advised her that she (should) wait. 这个词跟 suggest 都表示建议之义， 但要表示建议某人做某事只能用 advise sb to do sth, 不 能用 suggest sb to do sth advise,suggest 后接宾语从句时,要用虚拟语气。 其名词形式为 advice,是一个不可数名词,要表达一条建议只能说成 a piece of advice 4.equal adj:the same in number, quality, size, etc eg. Everybody had an equal chance. be equal to，be fit for 胜任 eg. He is not equal to the job 5.reward a)n: somrthing given or received for service eg. It is unfair that he gets very little in reward for his hard work.
b)v: to give a reward to eg. Winners will be rewarded a trip to England. 6．Hero n: a) man admired for his brave deeds. Eg. He is a war hero. b) chief male character in a story, play etc. eg. Tony is the hero in this play. 7.quality n: characteristic or level of goodness eg. She has many good qualities. One quality of this material is that it can endure much tress. 8.peaceful adj: calm or quiet eg. Our country is a peaceful country. It is a peaceful garden. 9.vote a) n: the result of an election eg. He was chosen as president by vote. b) to support or express by a vote eg. We have the right to vote. 10. accept v: receive or say yes to an offer
eg. He accepted the reward. She refused to accept his invitation. 11. position n: place or post of employment
eg. I want to know the position of the shop. The guns are in position. He has a high position in society.
Useful expressions 1. lose heart eg. Don’t lose heart you still have many chances. Though he failed many times, he didn’t lose heart.
2. (be) in trouble : in a situation that involves danger, pain, worry, etc eg. When I am in trouble, I always ask him for help. If we can’t finish the job on time, we will be in a lot of trouble. 3. fight against/with: struggle against sb/sth using physical force, in a war, battle, etc eg. He fought against the enemy in the war. England fought with Germany in the war of 1914—1918. 4. worry about: make sb anxious eg. She worried about her missing son. I worried about the result of the exam. 5. out of work: not having a paid job eg. She has been out of work for a year. He needs his family’s support because is out of work. 6.as a matter of fact: in fact eg. As a matter of fact, I don’t know the truth. He doesn’t mind at all. As a matter of fact he’s pleased. 7.blow up (来源 http://url.cn/0AShZy) a) explode
eg. The bomb blew up. b) lose one’s temper
I’m sorry I blew up at you. 8. come to power: in power eg. Things have changed a lot since he came to power. He came to power last year. 9. set up : establish or create sth eg. One organization will be set up to solved the problem. They set up a tent to spend the night. 10. be sentenced to: state that sb is to have a certain punishment eg. The thief was sentenced to six months’ imprisonment The criminal was sentenced to death.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。