单元：Unit 4 Behind beliefs 板块：Reading (Language points)
Thoughts on the design:
课文教学，除了对文章内容的阅读理解之外，分段讲解课文语言知识点,也是相当重要 的。 由于短语句子必须在一定语段的情景中才能更好地显示出它的语言交际能力， 分析一些
复杂句子的结构时， 更是只有把句型教学与课文教学有机地结合起来， 才能真正把句型学到 手，并能在真实的交际中灵活运用。因此在语言点的教学过程中，我主张以段为单位，先逐 段通读，整体上把握内容含义，再逐个分析重要语言点，其中讲解操练相辅相成，学生和老 师都要动起来。最后再进行一系列由简到难的强化训练，当然都是要在一定语境基础上的， 当场巩固当场掌握，从被动接受到主动运用。
After learning the language points in this text, the students will be able to get familiar with the meanings of some words and expressions. Also, the students will be able to use them correctly. Students are expected to go over some important sentence structures and their ability of translating or paraphrasing will also be improved.
Teaching procedures: Step1 Revision (Competition)
Hold a competition by asking five students each representing his or her group to write idioms on the blackboard as many as possible. Then ask another five students from each groups to explain the idioms written by their groupmates. The group which can write the most idioms and can offer right explanations will win the competition. (PPT5) ［Explanation］ 一直感觉课文语言点的讲评课形式比较刻板，学生们基本上都是以听、记或者机械地回 答问题为主，课堂气氛也比较沉闷。因此设计这个竞赛作为整节课的开始，既起到了复习上 一节课所学内容的作用，又能有效地让学生参与进来，充分调动学生的积极性，课堂气氛也 顿时活跃，为下一步学习作了良性准备。
Paragraph 1 1. Read the paragraph together.
第 1 页 共 6 页
2. Line 1-2 An idiom is a group of words or an expression whose meaning often cannot be understood by looking at the meanings of the separate words in it. *Translate the sentence.. Key: 习语是词组或者一种表达方式，其意义无法从孤立的单词中获得。 *Separate here is used as an adjective with the meaning ‘each or individual (word in the group of words or the expression)’ or ‘ not together’. e.g. 这对双胞胎共享一个房间，但是他们各自睡一张床。 The twins share one room, but they sleep in separate beds. Separate can also be used as a verb, which means ‘to become apart’ or ‘to be not together’. e.g. 要将两头正在争斗的公牛分开是非常困难的。 It is extremely hard to separate two fighting oxen (PPT5) 3. in other words 换句话说 类似于 “That is (to say)….” 其他和 word 有关的短语及固定用法： in a word 简言之，总之 have a word with sb 与某人谈一下 have words with sb 与某人吵架 keep one’s word 守信，信守承诺 Word came that … 有消息称· · · · · · (PPT7) 课堂操练： Your performance in the driving test didn’t reach the required standard-______，you failed． A．in the end B．after all C．in other words D．at the same time Key: C (PPT8) 4. a number of 许多（用于修饰可数名词） the number of…的数目 课堂操练： The number of the stamps _____ limited, so a number of people _____ to have a look at them. A．are; want Key: C (PPT9) B．is; wants C．is; want D．are; wants
Paragraph 2 1. Read the paragraph. 2. Line 8-9: The bible was first written in Hebrew and then translated into Greek, both of which use many idioms.Translate the first sentence.. Key: 《圣经》最初是用希伯来文写成的，后来被译为希腊语，这两种语言都是用很多 习语。 *代词+of which/whom 引导定语从句的用法: most, both, all, neither, either, none 等代词+of whom（指人）/which（指物）可以引导定语 从句。如：
第 2 页 共 6 页
She has two daughters, neither of whom lives at home. He has five dictionaries, all of which are practical. (播放幻灯片 10) *代词+of whom（指人）/which（指物）引导定语从句也可转换成 of whom（指人）/which （指物）+代词引导定语从句。如：I have many story books, of which all are interesting. 【考例】Last week, only two people came to look at the house, ________ wanted to buy it. A. none of them B. both of them C. none of whom D. neither of whom （2007 安徽） Key: D 简析：D。定语从句与先行词可连成 neither of the only two people came to look at the h ouse，因此应填 neither of whom 引导定语从句。 (PPT11) 3. the connection to… 也可以用介词 with 与· · · · · · 的联系 4. before long 不久以后，很快 long before 很久以前 5. be used to do 被用来做某事 used to do 过去常常做某事 be used to doing 习惯于 做某事 (PPT12) 课堂操练： As a young man, Tom used to A. knocking about; waited C. knock about; waiting (PPT13)
in the town, ________to find a job for a few coins. B. knocked down; waiting D. knocked down; waited
Paragraph 3 1. Read the paragraph. 2. Line 14-16 Biblical idioms originally had straightforward and clear meanings because they were often meant to underline the moral of a story and to give audiences an image to help them understand the story better. Translate the first sentence.. Key: 圣经习语原本都有着直白、清晰的意义，因为它们通常意在强调某一故事的寓意， 给听众或读者一个意象以帮助他们更好地理解故事。 3. a hidden weakness 隐藏的弱点，不为人知的弱点 hidden 过去分词作定语 (PPT14) Paragraph 4 1. Read the paragraph 2. Line24-25 This is used when people want to say that they know something but not who gave them the information. *Paraphrase this sentence. Key: When people want to express the meaning that they know some information but they don’t know who tell them the information they will use this idiom. 3. Line 25-27 This idiom comes from a passage in the Bible that says, ‘a bird of the air shall carry the voice, and that which hath wings shall tell the matter ’. Translate the first sentence..
第 3 页 共 6 页
Keys: 这个习语来自《圣经》上的一段话，原文是这样的： “因为空中的鸟必传扬这声 音，有翅膀的也必述说这事” 。 *句中 hath 是古英语，相当于现代英语的 has (PPT15) 4. lead a life of luxury 过着奢华的生活 lead a …life / lead a life of … 过着· · · · · · 的生活 5. mend one’s way 培养好习惯，改进生活方式 eg. There’s no sign of him mending his ways. 看不出他有改进生活方式的迹象。 (PPT16) 6. in honor of… 为了纪念，为了欢迎，为了庆祝 课堂操练： Christmas is a Christian holy day usually celebrated on December 25th ____ the birth of Jesus Christ. A. in accordance with B. in terms of C. in favor of D. in honor of (PPT17) Paragraph 5 1. Read the paragraph 2. things related to food 与食物有关的东西 be related to sb/sth 与某人或某事物有关 Eg：Wealth is seldom related with happiness. 财富鲜与幸福相关。 (PPT18) 3. Line 33-35 For instance, children are often referred to as the “apple of their parents’ eye”, meaning that their parents love them very much and are very proud of them. *Translate the first sentence.. Keys:例如， 孩子们常常被说成是“apple of their parents’ eye”,意思是他们的父母非常爱他 们，以他们为荣。 * for instance 例如，同 for example * refer to … as … 将· · · · · · 看作· · · · · · * be proud of… 以· · · · · · 为荣，以· · · · · · 为骄傲 同 take pride in… (PPT19) 4. be worth nothing 一文不值 be worth sth/ doing/$ 值· · · · · · ；值得做某事；值· · · · · · 钱 课堂操练： She is not worth . A. to get angry B. getting angry C. getting angry with D. to get angry with (PPT20) Paragraph 6 1. Read the paragraph 2. Line 50-52 When you have a thorough understanding of English idioms and their origins, you can better understand and appreciate the history and cultures of English-speaking countries because idioms are carriers of history and culture. *Translate the first sentence..
第 4 页 共 6 页
Keys: 透彻了解英语习语及其起源， 你可以更好地理解和欣赏英语国家的历史和文 化，因为习语是历史和文化的载体。 * a thorough understanding 透彻的理解 (PPT21) ［Explanation］ 以段为单位，先逐段通读，整体上把握内容含义，再逐个分析重要语言点，其中讲解与 操练相辅相成，注重的并非是字词短语的死记硬背，而是在具体语境中的实际运用。包括一 些复杂句型的翻译分析，不光从语法的角度分析，也要从整个段落的意思分析。让学生明白 学语言的最终目的是为了交际。
1. Fill in the blanks with the phrases in the box below. Change the form where necessary.
by and by mend one’s ways in other words in honour of for instance refer to take care of for a long time quite a few throw away 1. The Communist Party committees tried to ‘re-educate’ him but he refuse to ______________. 2. It will come all the easier to like him __________ when we are all together. 3. The stadium was named _________ the club’s first chairman. 4. Old English was in many ways similar to Modern German. _____________, the nouns, adjectives, and verbs were highly inflected. 5. The hospital now ________ patients by name, not case number. 6. I have been waiting for her _________, but she hasn’t turned up yet. 7. Now even ________ scientists continue to doubt whether cloning is beneficial to human beings. 8. Britain must now _________ this opportunity by electing a Labour government. 9. While he is away, his neighbour would like to _________ his house and pets. 10. He didn’t do well in the College Entrance Examination. ____________, he may not go to any key university. 1. mend his way 2. by and by 3. in honour of 4. For instance 5. refers to 6. for a long time 7. quite a few 8. throw away 9.take care of 10. In other words (PPT22-23)
Complete the following English sentences according to the Chinese given in the brackets.
1. We Chinese lifestyle is ___________________(完全不同于) British people’s lifestyle. 2. Since he came out of prison, he ____________________(改过自新，迷途知返)，later he has turned into a worthy man. 3. _____________________(除非天气有好转)，we will have to cancel the game. 4.The programme ________________( 旨在 ) help these people relieve poverty and become well-off.
第 5 页 共 6 页
5. ___________________(自从战争结束以来)，over five thousand prisoners have been released. 6. _______________(一旦发现偷窃行为)，you must report it to the police immediately. 7. Obviously it is _____________(值得看管好) the pond during these times to ensure that the fish do not become stuck. 8. The discovery is _______________(被认为是) a major breakthrough in the field of medical science. Keys: 1. completely different from 2. has mended his ways and come home 3. Unless the weather improves 4. is meant to 5. Since the end of the war 6. Once you find any thefts 7. worth keeping watch over 8. referred to as (PPT24-25) ［Explanation］ 当场所学的内容当场进行巩固检查，两个练习的难度逐渐递增，从简单的填空到根据 中文翻译，有本节课学校的语言点，也有以前所学的基础内容。将机械的短语灵活的使用 在不同的语境中，才算是达到了语言点教学课的教学目标。
1. 复习课文中的有关短语和句型，准备听写。 2. Workbook 等教辅材料上有关语言点的练习。 (PPT26) ［Explanation］ 及时对所学知识进行复习巩固，该记忆的记忆，该练习的练习，光记不练印象不深刻， 所学东西不扎实，而光练不记则会盲目地重复错误。只有将两者结合起来，才能将语言点扎 扎实实地掌握。
第 6 页 共 6 页
copyright ©right 2010-2020。