Unit1 Festivals around the world
Modal verbs 情态动词 (I)
What modal verbs have you learned?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? Can, could May, might Must/ha
ve to Need Dare Will/would Shall/should/ought to
1） 情态动词 不能单独做谓语，除ought外，后面只 能接不带to 的不定式。 2） 情态动词没有人称，数的变化，但有些情态动 词，如can、will也有一般式和过去式的变化。 3） 情态动词的“时态”形式并不是时间区别的主要 标志，不少情况下，情态动词的现在式形式和过去式 形式都可用来表示现在时间、过去时间和将来时间。
1. can 与could
1.表能力 1) Some of us can use the computer now, but we couldn’t last year. 2) The new-built theatre can seat 1500 people.
2. 表示推测，意为“可能”“或许”，用于疑问句或否定 3) Can she be in the computer center? 4) I think what he said can not be true. 3. 表示“请求” “允许”(表请求时，口语中常用 could 代替 can 使语气更委婉，回答时用can) 5) Can/Could I use your dictionary? 6) Could you lend me a hand?
4. 表示“许可”，可与may 换用。 You can go home now. 5. can 用于疑问句或否定句中时，表惊异、 不相信等，意思是“可能、能够”。 How can you say that you really understand the whole story if you have covered only part of the article? 6. can’t/ couldn’t +have + done 表示对过去 情况的否定推测 Susan can’t have written a report like this. could + have + done 表示对过去能做而 未做的事情感到惋惜，遗憾;常译为本可以 It’s a pity. Your class could have got the first prize.
B 1. Michael ____ be a policeman, for he’s much too short. A. needn’t B. can’t C. should D. may A 2. Mr. Bush is on time for everything. How ____ it be that he was late for the opening ceremony? A. can B. should C. may D. must 3. ---- I stayed at a hotel while in New York. ---- Oh, did you? You ____ with Barbara. A A. could have stayed B. could stay C. would stay D. must have stayed 4. My sister met him at the Grand Theater yesterday A afternoon, so he ____ your lecture. A. couldn’t have attended B. needn’t have attended C. mustn’t have attended D. shouldn’t have attende
2. may 与might
1. 表示“许可”或“请求”，有“可以”的意思，口语中 常用 might 代 may ,表示委婉语气。 否定回答时用“must not/can not”表“禁止，阻止”， 不用 “may not”. “may not” 表示“可能不” 。
Eg: 1)--- May I watch TV after supper? --- Yes, you may. / No, you mustn’t. 2) Today is Sunday. She may not be in her office now. 2. 表示可能性。 意为“或许，可能” might 比 may 可能性小。 Eg: 1) It might be true. 2) They may be in the library now.
3. May you +动词原形 表“希望、祝愿、祈求” “祝你……” Eg: May you success. 1.Sorry I'm late. I _____ have turned off the alarm clock and gone back to sleep again. A. might B. should C. can D. will 2.Peter _____ come with us tonight, but he isn’t very sure yet. A. must B. may C. can D. will 3. Some people who don’t like to talk much are not necessarily shy；they just be quiet people. A. must B. may C. should D. would
3. will 与would
1. 表“请求、建议”等，用 would 比用will 委婉，客气些
Eg: 1)Will you lend me your book? 2) Would you like a cup of tea?
2. 用于表示意志或意愿。 will 指现在， 而 would 指 过去。 Eg: 1) I’ll never do that again. 2) They said that they would help us. 3) No matter what I said, he won’t listen to me.
3.表示习惯性动作。 译作 “总是、惯于” will 指现在， would 指过去。 Eg: 1)He will often read all night. 2) Fish will die without water. 3) Every evening, she would sit by window, deep in thought. 4. 表示功能，译作“能、行”
Eg: 1) That will be all right. 2) This door won’t open.
1.The way the guests ___ in the hotel influenced their evaluation of the service
A.treated B. were treated D C. would treat D. would be treated
What a pity. Considering his ability and experience, he ____ better. A. need have done B. must have done C. can have done DD. might have done Liza ___ well not want to go on the trip --- she hates traveling. A. will B. can C. must D may D. Although this ____ sound like a simple task, great care is needed. B A. must B. may C. shall D. should
1. 用于表劝告、建议。 意为”应该、应当”。
Eg: You should keep your promise.
2. 用于表推测。 意为 “可能、该…” Eg: 1) It’s 7 o’clock, he should be at home. 2) They should have arrived by now. 3. 用于第一人称，表示说话人的谦逊、客气的语气
I should advise you not to do that.
1. —I don’t care what people think. —Well, you _______
B. would C. should C
2. What do you mean, there are only ten tickets? There_____ be twelve. A. should B. would A C. will D. shall
1. 表示义务或强烈的劝告，意为“必须”“应该”， 其否定式表示“不应该”“不许可” “不准”“禁止
Eg: 1) You must finish your homework first. 2) Children mustn’t speak like that to their parents.
2. 回答 must 所在的一般疑问句时，否定回答用 “needn’t” “don’t have to”. Eg: ---Must we finish the work tomorrow? ---No, you needn’t/ don’t have to, but you must finish it in three days. 3. 表推测，用于肯定句，意为“一定”“务必”。
Eg: 1) Betty must be in the next room. 2) He must be watering the flowers in his garden.
Complete the following sentences using modal verbs. 1.You’ve been working all day. You must ______ be very tired. can 2. I wonder who that is. It _____ be Lisa. ’t She’s in the library at this time. 3. It is a long time since we met last time. You should come and see us more often. _____ 4. I haven’t decided where I’m going for may my holidays. I _____ go to Australia.
5. --- Who was the man talking with your teacher? might --- I’m not sure. It ______ be her brother. 6. I don’t know when the guests be here. will They / could _________ arrive at any time.
Choose the best answers.
1. As he had heart attack, he was told that he ____ continue the work. C A. needn't B. may not C. mustn't D. can't B 2. I ____ like to make a suggestion. A. could B. would C. must D. might 3. I know things are hard with you, but you C ____ try to get over the difficulties. A. can B. may C. must D. ought
4. We hope that as many people as possible D _____ join us for the picnic tomorrow. A. may B. must C. should D. can 5. — I think I’ll give Bob a ring. D —You _____. You haven’t been in touch with him for ages. A. will B. may C. would D. should
6. It is usually warm in my hometown in March, but it _____ be rather cold sometimes. B A. must B. can C. should D. would 7. You don’t have to know the name of the author to find a book. You _____ find the C book by the title. A. must B. need C. can D. would B 8. Although this ____ sound like a simple task, great care is needed. A. must B. may C. shall D. should
9. You ______ be hungry already — you had B lunch only two hours ago! A. wouldn’t B. can’t C. mustn’t D. needn’t 10. According to the air traffic rules, you ___ D switch off your mobile phone before boarding. A. may B. can C. would D. should A 11. She ______ have left school, for her bike is still here. A. can’t B. wouldn’t C. shouldn’t D. mustn’t
copyright ©right 2010-2020。