Revision (Fill in the blanks)
Advertisements have become a part of ypes our life. There are two main t_____ of advertisements. One is cal
led c ommercial ______ advertisements, which are m_______ to eant p romote a product or service .But they ______ ____ don’t tell people the c omplete truth. ____ Another one is called PSAs, which are often placed for f____. They d____ with ree eal many s_______ problems, which often ocial affect public w______. elfare
1. Nowadays, …wherever we go. 在这里wherever 引导的是让步状语从句， wherever可以换成 no matter where. eg: I’m not interested in whatever you will say. I don’t care about wherever you will go. However deeply she hurt him, he chose to look after her for the rest of his life.
___ I have to give a speech, I get extremely nervous before I start. A. Whatever B. Whenever C. Whoever D. However In the global economy, a new drug for cancer, ___ it is discovered, will create many economic possibilities around the world. A. Whatever B. whoever C. wherever D. whichever One can always manage to do more things, no matter ___ full one’s schedule is in life. A. How B. what C. when D. where
2. We are so used to them that we often do not even realize how manu we see and hear in a day. be used to do / doing sth. —get/be accustomed to used to—happened in the past e.g. I am not quite used to living here/city life. I used to live in Nanjing. Ex: The new machine _____production. However I_____it. A A. is used to increase; am not used to controlling B. is used to increasing; don’t used to control C. used to increase; don’t used to control D. used to increasing; am not used to control
▲so/such…that用法： 1. 他心肠很好,以致于老人孩子都喜欢他。 He is so kind-hearted that both the old and the young like him very much. He is such a kind-hearted man that both the old and the young like him very much. He is so kind-hearted a man that both the old and the young like him very much.
Pop music is such an important part of society ______ it has even influenced our language. A. as B. that C. which D. where
3. I did some research on … … to share with you.
research: 1) n. do/conduct research on: 我正在做关于广告的研究。
I am conducting research on advertisements.
2) V. to study 商人研究市场很重要。 It’s important for a businessman to research the market.
share with: use sth. together with e.g. I’d like to share my book with you.
Practice She _____ my troubles as well as my joys. B A. shares with B. shares
4. An advertisement uses words and pictures to persuade people to buy a product or service, or to believe in an idea believe in: to have firm faith in Many people don’t believe in God.
Practice: believe/believe in believe believe in I don’t ________ ghosts. I _______ that stories of ghosts were made up by human beings.
5. A commercial advertisement is one which someone has paid for to advertise a product or service.
When I arrived, Bryan took me to see the house ___ I would be staying. A. What B. when C. where D. which Finally he reached a lonely island ___ was completely cut off from the outside world. A. When B. where C. which D. whom We have launched another man-made satellite, ___ is announced in today’s newspaper. A. That B. which C. who D. what
6. PSAs are run for free, and are meant to
educate people about health, safety, or any other problem that affects public welfare.
1) mean to do sth 2) be meant to do sth eg: This software is meant to protect computers from being attacked by viruses. 3) be meant for sth eg: The books in large print are meant for our partially sighted readers. 4) mean doing sth eg: Missing the bus means waiting for another hour. 5) mean adj.
7. There are laws to protect people from advertisements that cheat people. protect …from …keep sb./sth. safe from We should protect the earth from pollution. 人们通常戴太阳镜以妨眼睛被太阳灼伤。 People usually wear sunglasses to protect their eyes from being burned by the sunlight. More similar phrases:
protect/prevent …(from) … stop/keep …from …
8. we still must be aware of the skilful methods used in ads to try and sell us things. be aware of: realizing sth. that exists
Are you aware of the importance of learning a foreign language? Are you aware of the time? be aware that: having knowledge of sth./sb. She became aware that something was burning. 我很清楚吸烟有害健康。 I’m well aware that smoking is bad for our health.
9. Even if an ad does not lie, it does not mean it is altogether innocent.
lie: lied(pt,pp),lying(pres p) vt.说谎 ~ to sb. about sth. She was lying! She lied to me about her age! lie: lay(pt) lain(pp) lying(pres p) vi.平躺 He has lain in bed since this morning. lay: laid(pt,pp) laying(pres p) vt. 放置 He laid his hand on my shoulder. Practice He ____ the book on the desk and told me that laid lain he had ____in bed for the whole morning. But I lying knew that he was ____ to me.
10. All it says is that it fights it, and that is not the same thing at all. Police have found ___ appears to be the lost ancient statue. A. Which B. where C. how D. what It’s good to know ___ the dogs will be well cared for while we’re away. A. What B. whose C. which D. that The only way to succeed at the highest level is to have total belief ___ you are better than anyone else on the sports field. A. How B. that C. which D. whether
11.The grocery just hopes that when you read the ad, you will feel pleased with the nice comment, remember the words ‘freshest food’, and make a mental connection with the food in the grocery.
12.. We must not fall for this kind …
fall for sth.: to be tricked
You should be clever enough not to fail for his tricks. 他说他是学生,我信以为真。
He said that he was a student and I fell for it.
fall for sb.: be attracted to sb. They met, fell for each other and got married six weeks later.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
fall back 后退，退却 fall into 落于，陷于，染上 fall behind 落后于 fall back on 转而依靠 fall out 头发脱落；结果是 fall out with 和某人争吵 fall through 落空，失败 fall over 绊倒 fall in love with 爱上
13 . Not all ads play tricks on us though.
play tricks on: play a joke on Children, as well as adults, usually play tricks on each other on Halloween.
The teacher asked us not to play tricks on each other any more. trick: v. trick sb. into doing sth. She tricked him into giving her all his money.
Playing on a frozen sports field sounds like a lot of fun. Isn’t it rather risky,___? A. Though B. also C. either D. too The physics problem is very difficult. I work it out, ___. A. Still B. yet C. although D. though Nowadays, online games can reduce the pressure of study and work, ___ they can also cause problems. A. Or B. so C. yet D. for
14. There are also PSAs that encourage people to support … encourage sb. to do sth.
Don’t encourage bad habits in a child.
The teacher encouraged her to watch English films.
discourage sb from doing sth
15. All of these ads are meant to benefit the public, and you can often learn a lot by following the advice they give.
benefit sb benefit from sth eg: Do you really benefit from playing computer games all day? be beneficial to sb=be of benefit to sb Eg: Sunshine is beneficial to plants. for the benefit of sb eg: I came here to argue with them for the benefit
16. Finally, I wish to tell you this: think about why you should do the things the ad suggests, or buy the product or service the ad promotes.
Happiness and success often come to those ___ are good at recognizing their own strengths. A. Whom B. who C. what D. which There is no simple answer, ___ is often the case in science. A. as B. that C. when D. where That evening, ___ I will tell you more about later, I ended up working very late. A. That B. which C. what D. when I wish to thank Professor Smith, without ___ help I would never have got this far. A. Who B. whose C. whom D. which After the flooding, people were suffering in that area, ___ urgently needed clean water, medicine and shelter to survive. A. Which B. who C. where D. what
17. When it comes to advertisements, we must all use intelligence and not be a slave to them! Eg: When it comes to classical music, we first think of Bethoven or Mozart. When it comes to the best basketball player, many people points to Michael Jorden.
make sb aware of be used to sth share with persuade sb into doing do doing believe in for free/free of charge tell the truth do research on persuade sb to do persuade sb not to persuade sb out of persuade sb of sth pay for be meant to do
be meant for educate sb about sth public welfare protect sb from doing be aware of even if/though be innocent of fool sb into doing make fool of sb be proud of feel/be pleased with make a mental connection with fall for play tricks on serve the public
aim to do aim at doing/sth aim for sth lead/live a adj life advertising campaign since then various types of deal with social concerns benefit from benefit sb/sth follow one’s advice wish to do when it comes to sth be a slave to sth/sb
copyright ©right 2010-2020。