必修 5 Unit 1 Great Scientists
查字典,了解下列词的词性变化,并写出其正确形式. 1. character _________________(n.特征；特性) 2. paint
_____________(n.画家；油漆匠) 3. science ________________(adj.科学的) _______________(n.科学家) 4. vi. 结束，推断出________________ n. 结论；结束 __________________ 5. vt.分析________________; n.分析_________________; adj.分析的________________ 6. n.物理______________; n.物理学家______________; adj.身体的________________; n.内科医生______________ 7. vt.暴露,揭露 ______________; (n.)___________________ 8. vt.污染,弄脏_________________; ________________(n.) 9. vt.宣布，通告________________; ________________(n.); _________________n.播音员 10. vt. 命令，指示________________ n. 命令，指示，用法说明_________________ adj. 有教益的_________________ 11. adj.有责任的,负责的 _______________; (adv.)_________________; (n.)____________ 12.vt.建设,修建________________; n.___________________; adj.______________________ 13. vt.捐献,贡献________________; n.______________________ 14. create vt. ; ________________(n.); _________________(adj.) 15. adj.积极的,肯定的 _______________; (反义词)___________________ 16. adj.热情的，热心的_________________ n. ____________________
重点词汇学习.阅读并翻译下列句子,体会其用法的不同,并进行归纳总结. 1. conclude The meeting concluded without an agreement. He concluded his speech with some amusing remarks. He concluded from the evidence that she was guilty. You should think twice before making the decision. Don’t jump to conclusion. He _______ the conclusion that the room must have been empty. ★ 【拓展延伸】你知道“得出结论”有几种表达方式吗? _________________________________________________________________________ 归纳: ___________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ 2. attend He did not attend the meeting yesterday. The school was attended almost entirely by local chidren. There was no one to attend (on) him but Tina. Who will attend ( to )the patient if you go out? I’ll attend to that problem later. ★ 【拓展延伸】你知道“参加”有几种表达方式吗?他们有什么不同吗? ___________________________________________________________________________ 试辨别: As he had to ______ the summer course, he didn’t go on a visit to Qingdao with his parents. A. join B. attend C. take part D. join in
They had a quiet wedding ─only a few friends ______ it. A. joined B. attended C. took part D. join in 3. cure The medicine should cure you of your cold. Parents try to cure their children of bad habits. An effective cure for cancer has not yet been found. 归纳:_______________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ 【拓展延伸】辨别 treat/cure The doctor _______ her cancer with a new medicine but didn’t _______ her. The doctor ______ her broken leg now. The doctor ______ the patient of his illness. 4. absorb Clever children absorb knowledge easily. Aspirin is quickly absorbed by /into the body. The big company has gradually absorbed these small companies into its own organization. The writer was absorbed in his writing. 归纳:_______________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ 5. suspect She strongly suspected that her husband had been lying. He’s suspected of murder. He was suspected of giving false information. Two suspects were arrested today in connection with the robbery. The evidence against him was highly suspect. 归纳:_______________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ 6. blame He blamed his brother for breaking the window. The driver was not to blame for the accident. Don’t always put the blame for your failure on others. You must bear/take the blame for the accident. 归纳: ______________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________7. contribute The writer personally contributed$10,000 to the earthquake fund. He offered to contribute to the Red Cross. She had contributed to a newspaper. Plenty of fresh air contributes to good health. He made great contributions to the film industry. 归纳: ______________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ 8. reject The proposal was firmly rejected. I’ve been rejected by all the universities I applied to. 【拓展延伸】辨别 reject/refuse
Choose the good apples and _______ the bad ones. He ________ any idea of reforming the system. He ________ to make any changes.
1. ______ writing the article, Mrs. Curie even forgot her dinner. A. Absorbed in B. Absorbing at C. Having absorbed by... D. To absorb in 2. The doctor telephoned to say that he couldn't ______the meeting because he had to ______ a patient. A. come to; attend to B. attend; attend C. join; treat D . attend on; look after 3. The president ____ the new economic policy. A announced B told C informed D promised 4. Before using the machine, you must ____ carefully to these instructions . A join B join in C take part in D attend 5. This medicine will ____ him of his cough. A recover B cure C treat D heal 6. To our surprise, the man, who was looked down upon by others in the past, is now ____ the whole project. A beyond control B in control of C out of control D losing control of 7._______ the injures to his face and hands，he broke his left leg.? A. Beside B. Despite? C. Apart from D. Because of? 8. I feel it is your husband who _______ for the spoiled child. A. is to blame B. is going to blame C. is to be blamed D. should blame
1. This new e _______________for the car works well. 2. She has a strong c_________________. 3. The farmers in this area had a good harvest last year thanks to the s______________farming. 4. The doctor had my eyes e_____________for weakening. 5. The meeting c________________at eight o'clock. 6. They were d _______________ in their attempt(企图)to reach the top of the mountain. 7. The little brave girl e _________________ the crime(罪行)of the criminal(罪犯). 8. He was a____________________in the book. 9. He b ____________________ me for my negligence(疏忽大意). 10. I think you are too s_________________ on the boy. 11. He finished his work in a__________________(积极的) way. 12. We must try to _________________(分析)the causes of the strike. 13. He became____________________(狂热的) about classical music. 14. He has______________________(完成)the whole job already. 15. In the factory the workers______________(纺成线)wool into thread. 16. Be c_________________when you cross the street. 17. You should not r_________________the invitation from your old friend. 18. What is your v__________________on Chinese education? 19. The police are watching the man's m_________________secretly. 20. The class needs a s__________________teacher. 21. Kindness is one of the prime minister's __________________(特征). 22. Britain_________________(议定) a trade agreement with China. 23. Don't ________________(暴露) your skin to the sun or you will be burned. 24. The ________________(贵重的) culture relics will be on show in Guangzhou Art Museum in
October. 25. The famous Korean play actor got an________(热情的) reception in Hong Kong. 26. The most important thing is not to admit ________________(失败)27. Water and salt are _____________(吸收) into our blood stream everyday. 28. If a doctor or a medical treatment c__________someone's illness, they make the people well again. 29. A v_________________is a kind of germ that can cause disease. 30. If you a_____________something, you consider it carefully or use some methods in order to fully understand it.
第二部分 Reading Ⅰ John Snow Defeats “King Cholera”
1.知识与能力：1）熟练掌握文中重点单词和短语，并了解重要句型的表达法。 2）运用略读和找读策略迅速获取信息 ,并能够精读文章获取信息和分析信 息。 2. 过程与方法：查阅工具书 ---小组讨论 --- 合作探究 --- 分组展示 --- 巩固训练 3. 情感态度价值观： 通过了解 John Snow 如何收集数据，分析数据，找到霍乱传播的原因 并最终击败“霍乱王”的；学习科学发现的全过程及其严密性；学习描述性文体的基本写 作框架。
1. Finish the warming-up quiz on Page 1. 2. Choose the best answer according to the text. 1) The passage mainly tells us that ______________ A. the cause of cholera was polluted water. B. John Snow was a well-known doctor in London. C. the source of all drinking water should be examined. D. John Snow did some research and helped to defeat “King Cholera” 2) Why was cholera called “King Cholera” in the text? A. Because cholera caused many deaths. B. Because it got its name from Queen Victoria. C. Because cholera was the most deadly disease of its day. D. Because it was defeated with the help of the king. 3) People thought that cholera spread _________ before John Snow’s research. A. in the air B. by the birds C. in the water D. by the food 4) ____________ is the key help for John Snow’s discovery. A. The government B. The woman moving away from Broad street C. The water company D. The map made by himself 5) At last, “King Cholera” was controlled by ___________. A. using medicines in hospitals B. driving patients out of the country C. dealing with the polluted water D. getting rid of all kinds of pollution 3. Find out the following phrases in the text. 1) physical characteristic ________________; 2) _________________________ 提出一个理论
3) infectious disease ____________________; 4) _________________________ 得出结论 5) analyze the results ___________________; 6)__________________________ 暴露(…..)在……中 7) terrified people _____________________; 8) ___________________________ 最致命的疾病 9) _____________________把….吸收入….; 10) __________________________ 收集信息 11) _______________________决心干某事; 12) ___________________________一条珍贵的线索 13) __________________除..…之外还有…; 14) __________________________ 将…和…联系起来 15) _____________________叫某人送东西; 16) __________________________ 死于… 17) _______________________肯定地宣布; 18) __________________________ 被污染的水 19) ___________________阻止某人干某事; 20) ___________________________ 处理……
1. The chart shows that each paragraph of the text explains John Snow’s stages in his research. Please read the text and find out the general idea of each paragraph and match the correct research stage with each paragraph. Discuss it in groups, and then report your answers. Paragraph 1 2 3 Stages Find a problem ____________________ Think of a method General ideas The _________ of cholera The correct or possible theories __________ data on where people were ____ and _______ and where they got their water 4 __________________ Plot information on a _____ to find out where people _______ or ____________. 5 Analyze the results ______________ to see if that is the cause of the illness 6 7 __________________ Make a conclusion Find other __________ to confirm his conclusion _________________________ was to ________ for the cause of the London cholera 2. Discuss the following questions. 1) What are the two theories explaining how cholera killed people?
2) What evidence did John Snow gather to convince people that idea 2 was right?
3) Cholera was a 19th century disease. What disease do you think is similar to cholera today?
4) Can you tell me what style of the passage belongs to?
5) Please list the three most important qualities that make a good scientist.
1. Who put forward a theory about black holes? put forward 在句中的意思是：__________________ 写出下列句中 put forward 的意思： 1) He put forward a very good suggestion at the meeting. ________________ 2) May I put your name forward as our monitor? _____________________ 3) You ought to put your watch forward ten minutes.____________________ *你还知道在下列句子中 put 短语的意思吗？ 1) Put away the tools after work, will you? ________________ 2) Don't put off till tomorrow what can be done today. ________________ 3) Put out the fire before going to bed. ________________ 4) We can put all of you up for the night. ________________ 5) Warning notice is put up around the ruins. _______________ 2. But he became inspired when he thought about helping ordinary people exposed to cholera. expose 在句中是过去分词作____________,表示____________意为 _______________ 总结下列句子中 expose 的意思和用法： 1) Don’t expose your skin to the sun; your skin will be hurt. 2) Some flowers need to be exposed to sunlight everyday, so I set up a "sun bath." 3) I threatened to expose him to the police. 4) It is good to be exposed to different cultures. 总结：____________________________________________________________________________ 完成下列句子： 1) We are going to talk about the problem ____________________________________.(discuss) 我们准备谈一谈上次会议上讨论的问题。 2) The student ____________________ (dress) is my daughter. 穿白衣服的学生是我女儿。 3) The books __________________________ (write) are popular with young people. 韩寒写的书很受年轻人欢迎。 3. Neither its cause nor its cure was understood. 当 neither ?nor 连接两个主语时，谓语动词遵循_____________ 原则。 完成下列句子： Neither I nor he ______ (have) seen the film. 还有哪些短语和句型与 neither ? nor 连接两个主语时遵循同样的主谓一致原则： ______________________________________________________________________________ 在下列句子中 neither 或 nor 的意思为： 1) He doesn't go to school by bike. Neither / Nor do I. (translation) _______________________________________________________ 2) They didn't go to the park yesterday. Neither / Nor did we. (translation) _______________________________________________________ 完成下列句子： If you don’t go, _______________.如果你不去，我也不去。 4. So many thousands of terrified people died every time there was an outbreak.
every time 是__________,引导___________状语从句,意为________________ 完成下列句子： _________________________, I always think of the things happened between us. 每次见到他,我就想起发生在我们之间的事情. 除此之外，each time, any time, the first time, last time, next time， immediately, the moment, directly, instantly 也可以和 every time 一样，用作_____________ 词，引导______________状语从句。 完成下列句子： 1) ______________________________, (他第一次做实验时) he succeeded. 2) I will give the letter to him ________________________.我一见到他就把这封信给他. 5. 1) The first suggested that cholera multiplied in the air without reason. 2) To prevent this form happening again, John Snow suggested that the source of all water supplies be examined and new methods of dealing with polluted water be found. 思考：在这两个句子中 suggest 所跟的宾语从句中的谓语动词的形式有何不同？ __________________________________________________________________________________ 完成下列句子： 1) He suggested that ______________________________________（会议延迟到下周举行）. 2) His work suggests that ___________________________________（他是一个细心的人）. 6. 1) In two particular streets, the cholera outbreak was so severe that more than 500 people died in ten days. 2) He immediately told the astonished people in Broad Street to remove he handle from the pump so that it could not be used. 1) 第一句中 so … that 引导和第二句中 so that 引导的是是否同一种状语从句？如果是， 为______ 状语从句；如果不是，那分别为 1) ___________ 状语从句； 2) ____________状语从句 2）在第二句中 astonished 为___________ 分词作___________语； remove …from 意思为_________________________________ 7. It seemed the water was to blame. 在句子中 be to blame 意思为：_____________________ 比较：be to blame, be blamed for sth. He was blamed for the failure in exam. He was to blame for the accident. 8. Next, John Snow looked into the source of the water for these two streets. He found that it came from the river polluted by the dirty water from London. 1) look into 在句子中的意思为：________________; 2) polluted by … 为___________分词做__________ 语。 写出下列句子中 look into 的意思： 1) I'll look into the library on the way home to borrow some books for my children．_______________ 2) He promised me to look into the matter．____________________ *你知道下列句子中其它 look 短语的意思吗？ 1) The girls began to look through the photograph albums. _______________ 2) Help the boy to look up the book in the catalogue. ______________ 3) We'll look forward to hearing from you soon. ________________ 9. In another part of London, he found supporting evidence from tow other deaths that were linked to the Broad Street outbreak. 在本句中 be linked to 的意思是：_____________________ 总结下列句子中 link 的意思和用法： 1) Television stations around the world are linked by satellite.
2) Fingerprints linked the suspect to the crime. 3) Your career will always be closely linked to the amount of value you create in the marketplace. 总结：_____________________________________________________________________________
1. The forest guards often find campfires that have not been______completely. (2004 全国卷Ⅱ) A. turned down B. put out C. put away D. turned over 2. Before the war broke out, many people _______________in safe places possessions they could not take with them. (2004 重庆) A. threw away B. put away C. gave away D. carried away 3. I have______all my papers but I still can’t find my notes. (2007 全国卷Ⅱ) A. looked through B. looked for C. looked after D. looked out 4. The building around the corner caught fire last night. The police are now______the matter. （06 湖 北） A. seeing through B. working out C. looking into D. watching over 5. We’re trying to ring you back, Bryan, but we think we______your number incorrectly. （2006 浙江） A. looked up B. took down C. worked out D. brought about 6. It is reported that the police will soon ____ the case of two missing children. （09 江西卷 30） A. look upon B. look after C. look into D. look out 7. I invited Joe and Linda to dinner, but ______ of them came. （2004 北京） A. neither B. either C. none D. both 8. Bill wasn’t happy about the delay of the report by Jason, and _____. A. I was neither B. neither was I C. I was either 9. _______homework did we have to do that we had no time to take a rest. A. So much B. Too much C. Too little D. So little 10. The weather was _____ cold that I didn’t like to leave my room. A. really B. such C. too D. so 11. ___________ to sunlight for too much time will do harm to one’s skin. A. Exposed B. Having exposed C. Being exposed D. After being exposed 12. ---- Did you remember to give Mary the money you owed her? ---- Yes, I gave it to her ______________ I saw her. A. while B. the moment C. suddenly D. once 13. Mr. Green stood up in defence of the 16-year-old boy, saying that he was not the one ___________. A. blamed B. blaming C. to blame D. to be blamed 14. ＿＿＿for the breakdown of the school computer network, Alice was in low spirits. A. Blaming B. Blamed C. To Blame D. To be blame 15. _______ be sent to work there？? A. Who do you suggest? B. Who do you suggest that should? C. Do you suggest who should? D. Do you suggest whom should? D. either was I
1. Remember the important phrases and sentence structures learned in this part. 2. Recite the text.
第三部分 Reading Ⅱ
1. 知识与能力：复习掌握倒装句型、虚拟语气、分词做状语、with 的复合结构以及定语从句。 2. 过程与方法：自主学习，任务性阅读 3. 情感目标：了解科学家的人生以及在宗教盛行的时期，真理诞生是多么的不容易；培养学生对科学的热 爱。
a. What is the main idea of text 2? A. Copernicus worked out the theory that the moon was the center of the solar system. B. Copernicus thought that the earth was the center of the solar system. C. Copernicus worked out the theory that the sun was the center of the solar system. D. Copernicus published his theory that the sun was the center of the solar system. b. the theory before Copernicus’ theory c. Copernicus’ theory
d. Why didn’t Copernicus publish his theory? A. He thought it wasn’t complete. B. He was cautious and didn’t want to be attacked by the Christian Church. C. His friends stopped him from doing so. D. His body was becoming weaker and weaker.
a. Do you know the social and history background of the birth of Copernicus’ theory.(选作) b. What is the driect link between Copernicus’ theory and the work of Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking.（选作） c. 你学过哪几种倒装句型？
d. 回顾学过的运用虚拟语气的情况？ e. f. a. 现在分词可担当句子的哪些成分？ with + n./pron. + _______________________________________________构成复合结构？ 找出文中出现的短语
导致，引起_______________ 讲得通，有意义_____________ 有时______________ 私下向某人展示____________ 围绕，环绕________________ 反对___________ 以…为基础______________ be enthusiastic about _______________ be cautious of / about______________ be strict with sb.__________________ 致力于_____________ be strict in sth. _______________ b. 自己动手查一查 1） make 的相关短语 make for___________ make up_______________________ make uo for_____________ be made up of ____________ make the best/most of ___________ make fun of__________ make room for __________ make a difference______________ make a fire_____________ 下定决心_____________ 制造噪音_____________ 谋生_____________ 犯错误_______________ 弄明白，查清楚_______________ 2） sense 的相关短语 have a sense of (humour /direction)____________ common sense____________ make sense______________ make sense of______________ There is no sense in doing sth.____________________ 3） time 的相关短语 at a time__________ at one time______________ at times______________ at no time___________ in no time_____________ on time________ in time____________ all the time________________ from time to time_____________ 提前_______________ c. 重点句型 1）_____ __ you put the sun there _____ the movements of the other planets in the sky _____ _____.只有把太阳放在那个位置，太空中其他行星的运动才能说得清楚。 ______ ___ a teacher gives permissin ____ a student allowed to enter the room. 只有得到老师的允许，学生才能进入这个房间。 只有，只要_____________ 【注意】only 引导状语或状语从句置于句首，主句要用部分倒装。 _______ ________ ___he find out that his watch was missing.就是在昨天他发现手表不见了。 就是靠努力工作她才取得成功。___________________________________________. Only ______________(当战争结束时) in 1918 ____ he ________(be able to) get back to work. 【思考】But only his new theory could do that.此句为什么没用倒装？ 【区分】if only ________，后使用虚拟语气。 If only I _________ see you tomorrow. 要是我明天能见到你就好了(与将来事实相反)。 If only I _____ not come home alone.要是我不是一个人回的家就好了.(和过去事实相反)。 If only I ________ a doctor.我要是个医生就好了(和现在事实相反)。
2）Yet he could not tell anyone about his theory as the powerful Christian Church would have punished him for even suggesting such an idea. would have done 表示本来要做某事却因某种原因未做成，用来说明某一情况。 I was busy that day. Otherwise I _____________ there with them. 否则，我就和他们一起去那儿了。 I ____________ the work, but I have been ill. 我本来该完成这项工作的。 Without air, there ________ no living things. 如果没有空气的话，就不会有生物了。 【拓展】neeedn’t have done_____________ should / ought to have done______________ shouldn’t have done________________ could have done_____________ 3）So between 1510and 1514 he worked on it, gradually improving his theory until he felt it was complete. gradually improving his theory 在句中作________，improve 与主语 he 是_______关系，且分 词动作与主句谓语动词同时发生。 He worked late into the night,________________.为老板准备一份报告。 Father wrote me a letter,_________________.鼓励我努力学习。 4）He placed a fixed sun at the center of the solar system with the planets going around it and only the moon still going round the earth. 用 with 的复合结构完成下列句子： He lay there with his eyes ______ (look) at the sky. The thief was brought in with his hands ______(tie) back. With all these mouth _________ (feed), he didn’t know what to do. The teacher came in with some textbooks __________(拿着). When he is eating, he doesn’t speak with his mouth ____________(满是) food. He left with all the lights____(开着). 根据上面的句子， 我们可知 with 的复合结构为 with + n./pron. +_________________________. 在句中作状语，表示原因、时间、条件、伴随、方式等。 【练习】 ________ production up by 60%, the company has had another excellent year. (2000 全国) A. As B. For C. With D. Through With a lot of difficult problems ________, the newly-elected president is having a hard time. (2002 上海) A. settled B. settling C. to settle D. being settled 5）Yet Copernicus’ theory is now the basis on which all our ideas of the universe are built. on which 引导的是_______从句，先行词是_________。介词+which / whom 引导从句时，介 词的选择需观察该介词和先行词之间是否存在正确的介宾搭配关系。 This is the village _______ _______ he was brought up. I don’t believe the reason _______ _______ he was late. This is the girl _____ ______ I share the same room. 【课堂检测】 1)—Come on ,please give me some ideas about the projects. －Sorry. With so much work_________my mind .I almost break down. A. filled B. filling C. to fill D. being filling 2) With nothing_______to burn，the fire became weak and finally died out.
A. leaving B. left C. leave D. toleave 3) I live in the house with its door_________to the south.（这里 with 结构作定语） A. facing B. faces C. faced D. being faced 4) You ___ all those calculations! We have a computer to do that sort of thing. A. needn't have done B. must not have done C. shouldn't have done D. can not have done 5) Research findings show we spend about two hours dreaming every night, no matter what we ___ during the day. A. must have done B. would have done C. should have done D. may have done 6) The pen ______he is writing is mine. A. with which B. in which C. on which D. by which 7) The engineer ______my father works is about 50 years old. A. to whom B. on whom C . with which D. with whom 8) This is the hotel _______last month. A. which they stayed B. at that they stayed C. where they stayed at D. where they stayed 9) It __________ to chat online all day long. You’d better do something else. A. makes no sense B. makes no difference C. makes sense D. makes difference 10)____________you eat the correct foods _________ be able to keep fit and stay healthy. A. only if, will you B. only if, you will C. unless, will you D. unless, you will 11) What led you ______that he is a dependable man? A. believing B. to believe C. to believing D. believe 12)_________ I used to go mountain-climbing every summer. A. At a time B. At one time C. At times D. At the same time 13)Don’t sit there _______ nothing, come and help me with the table. A. do B. to do C. doing D. and doing
1） 背过本学案中 4 延伸拓展中的 a 和 b 部分中出现的短语及 c 部分中的五个重点句型。 2） 自学语法部分并完成相应学案。
copyright ©right 2010-2020。