1. Where are Oxford and Grenoble?
2. What are the similarities between the two countries? 3. What’
s the significance of the agreement?
1. Where are Oxford and Grenoble? Oxford in the UK and Grenoble in France. 2. What are the similarities between the two countries? They’re both medium-sized towns of between 100,000 and 200,000 inhabitants. They both have universities and industries. Tourism is important to both of them, and they are both close to some of the most beautiful countryside in the region.
3. What’s the significance of the agreement? The agreement encourage people from the two towns visit each other. The agreement are perhaps most useful for students and people who want to practise speaking another language.
What is Town Twinning according to the whole passage? 词数100左右：similar, popular, agreement, feature, encourage, exchange ，practise,
Town twinning is an agreement between towns or cities of similar size and age, and which have similar features. It has become very popular in recent years. Town twinning encourages people from the two towns to visit each other .There are also exchanges between the two cities .Visitors from the foreign country usually stay in the private homes of the town, which is the most useful for students who want to practise speaking another language.
? 惠灵顿与中国厦门市于1987年结为友好城 市； ? 2006年5月10日北京市与惠灵顿结为友好 城市。 ? 2011年7月22日惠灵顿与中国天津市结为 友好城市。
Language points in cultural corner
1. similar: alike be similar to:和…相似 be similar in:在…方面相似 这辆车和那辆车在颜色方面相似。
This car is similar to that one in color.
1). similarly adv. 相似地; 相应地
① The first letter she wrote me was less
than a page long, and her second letter
was similarly brief.
② The cost of food and clothing has come
down in recent years. Similarly, fuel
prices have fallen quite considerably.
2). similarity u.n.相似
The similarity between the two reports suggests that they were written by the same person. ②. c.n.相似点；相似之处 Bees and wasps both sting, but they have other similarities too.
2. be close to 1) 与某物在距离上近 His house is close to the factory. 2) (指关系) 密切的，亲密的 My brother and I are close (to each other). 3) 接近，快要 ① We’re close to clinching the deal. ② She is close to tears.
1). vt.交换;调换;兑换 常用搭配：exchange sth. with sb. for sth. 用某物和某人交换某物 ① I’d like to exchange some pounds for dollars. ② We’ll have an opportunity to exchange views tomorrow. ③ At the end of the game, players traditionally exchange shirts with each other.
2). c.n.& u.n.交换; 交流; 交易 ① An exchange of opinions is helpful. ② What is the rate of exchange
between the pound and the mark?
③ I’ve offered to paint the kitchen in
exchange for a week’s
3. This is because living with a foreign
family for one or two weeks means
that you have to speak their language and as a result you improve fast. 这是因为和一个外国家庭住一两个 星期意味着你不得不说他们的语言 ，
as a result 因此，结果 as a result of +名词 因为，由于 result in 导致（某种后果） result from 源于，起因于
1. _____ hard made Allan pay much attention to ____ his mistakes. A. Scolding; correcting B. Being scolded; correct
C. Being scolded; correcting
D. Having been scolded; correct
① 苏珊坐在一个靠近窗户的位置上。 ____________________________ Susan sat on a chair close to the ________ window. ② 他用黑茄克换了一件蓝色的。 He exchanged the black jacket for ______________________________ a blue one. ___________
2. 用result 的合适短语填空
He runs everyday. _________, he has As a result
She was late for school as a result of the ___________
His failure resulted from his carelessness. ___________
Their carelessness resulted in that _________
copyright ©right 2010-2020。