How much do you know about Canada?
Maple Country —— Canada
Canada is the second largest country in the world. 加拿大的面积是9984670平方公里，居世
the national flag of Canada
the national anthem of Canada
Capital city ----- Ottawa
Ottawa is the capital of Canada. A population of 1,200,000 makes Ottawa the fourth-largest urban area in Canada.
Official languages: English and French
the TV and radio in French; French restaurants; teaching in schools be done in French.
the French-speaking province ----Quebec
the five great lakes
one third of the world’s supply of fresh water
the Arctic Ocean The Beaufort Sea Alaska The Pacific Ocean
The Atlantic Ocean
the United States
Can you tell some famous cities?
1. What language(s) do Canadians speak? A. English B. English and German C. English and French D. English and Spanish
2. What is the capital of Canada? A. B.
3. What is the national animal of Canada?
4. What is the Canadian leader called? A. President B. Prime Minister C. Governor D. King
5. How many “Great Lakes” are there in Canada and what are they? A. 4 Lake B. 3 Superior C. 5 Lake D. 6 Huron
Lake Michigan Lake Erie
6. Which is the national flag of Canada?
Skim the passage and then answer the following questions. 1) What is the passage mainly about? It is about _____ of two girls; and it a trip tells us some information about _______. Canada 2) What is “The True North”? The True North is a name of _____________________. the cross-Canada train
Read the text quickly and quietly to fill in the blanks and match the main idea of the 3 parts
What they really saw and
felt after boarding the train brief introduction of their
Para(s)___ 1 Part 2
Para(s)___ 2 Part 3 Para(s)____ 3-5
trip Their chat on their way to
Scan the passage and find out characters, places and their travelling route.
Characters: Li Daiyu liu Qian and Danny Lin Places: Vancouver; the Rocky Mountains;
Calgary; a wheat-growing province; Thunder Bay; The Great Lakes; Toronto
Route: Draw a travelling route on the map on
Part 1 Read Para.1 and finish the chart below Brief introduction about the trip
Li Daiyu _______ and her cousin Liu Qian _______
visit their cousins to ________________ plane first by ______, train then by ______.
where ________________ Montreal, Canada
distance 5,500 kilometres ____________ (from coast to coast)
Going eastward, you’ll pass mountains 1.______________ 2. ____________ lakes & forests 3.______________________ wide rivers & large cities
1. the warmest part _____________ the most beautiful city 2._________________ _______________ Vancouver 3. one of Canada’s most _______________ popular cities 4. oldest & most ______________ beautiful forests ______________ 5._________________ wet climate
population increasing rapidly. ___________ trees extremely tall measuring 90 ___________ metres
Read Paras 3-5 and answer the following questions.
Vancouver 1 What mountains did they cross ealier that day? 1Earlier that day, …Rocky Mountains. 2 Which city did they … Calgary… go after crossing the mountains? 2
3 WhatAfter 2 days’ travel,about Canada after 2 days’ 3 did the girls think … empty… travel? After dinner, …Thunder Bay… 4
4 Where did they go after dinner? 5 That night … across Lake Superior 5 Which lake did the train rush across that night, and … Toronto what’s their next destination(目的地)?
True or False.
____ 1. They will take the train across F Canada westward.
____ 2. You can cross Canada in less F than five days. ____ 3. Vancouver is the coldest part in F Canada.
____ 4. It is so wet in Vancouver that the T trees are tall. ____ 5. Canada is a large country with a T small population. ____ 6. The ocean ships cannot go to F Thunder Bay. ____ 7. Toronto is to the south of T Thunder Bay.
____8. Their trip across the whole T continent was exciting because of some great scenery. F ____9. Their cousins took them and their baggage to catch “The True North”. ____10. Canada has more fresh water T than any other country in the world.
Answer questions according to the passage. 1. Which continent are the cousins crossing? They are crossing North American.
2. Why are they not flying directly to the Atlantic coast? They are not flying directly to the Atlantic Coast because they want to take the train from west to east across Canada./ They want to see Canada./ They want to travel across Canada. 3. What is “The True North”? “The True North” is the train that runs through Canada.
4. Why is the population of Vancouver
growing so rapidly?
The population of Vancouver is
growing so rapidly because it is beautiful.
5. What happens at the Calgary Stampede? At the Calgary Stampede cowboys compete in riding wild horses for thousands of dollars. 6. How are ocean ships able to reach the centre of Canada? Ships are able to reach the centre of Canada because they can follow the St Lawrence River and the Great Lakes.
7. What are some of Canada’s greatest
Canada has water from its lakes and rivers and wood from its forests.
8. Which of the following is described
as the most beautiful city in Canada?
A. Vancouver B. Calgary
C. Toronto text mean?
A. bit C. greatly
9. What does the word “slightly” in the B. a lot D. lightly
10. Why did they begin to realize two days later that Canada is quite empty?
Because there are only thirty million people living on such a huge land and most of them live within the areas of the USA border.
Read the text and fill in the blanks.
Place Information Vancou ●It is ____________ by surrounded ver mountains and the Pacific Ocean. ski ●People can ___ in Rocky Mountains and sail in the harbour ________. ●Wet climate makes the trees extremely tall, some measuring _________ over 90 metres.
Place The Rocky Mountains
Information ●The cousins and their friend managed to ____________ some catch sight of mountain goats, a grizzly bear and an eagle. ●It is famous for ____________________. the Calgary Stampede ●Many cowboys have a gift for _____________ riding horses and can win thousands of dollars in prizes.
Place A wheatgrowing Province Thunder Bay
Information ●Farms cover thousands of square acres _____. ●It is a busy port city at the top of the Grate Lakes in an urban ______ area. ●Ocean ships can sail up ______________. the Great Lakes
Post reading: (group discussion)
Ex 3 on P35 Tips: You can choose haveone to discuss. travel Beginning: If I any the chance to to Which part of theto go to ___, which 1. Canada, I prefer passage interests impressed me most. ____ is a… city. The you most? reasons are to Canada, where will you 2. If you go as follows: Body: Why? Firstly,… Then,…. Besides,…. go? Ending: So I’d like to choose ____.
Distance from east to coast Population Basic facts about Canada Where most Canadians live
Location of large fresh water supply
Key points about
Calgary Thunder Bay
Write a short passage to report what Li Daiyu and Liu Qian saw in Canada.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。