Integrating skills unit 8
Fast reading: find out the main idea of each para.
Para. 1 Studying abroad is no longer a dream. A
dvantages of studying abroad.
Disadvantages of studying abroad. Some advice to people who want to study abroad.
Advantages of studying abroad
1. become fluent in the new language 2. make friends with people from different backgrounds
3. understand another culture
4. broaden your horizons and improve your understanding of the world 5. learn about yourself and what your culture is really like
6. learn to depend on yourself
Disadvantages of studying abroad
1. Some of them may fall behind in their studies when studying abroad.
2. They may not be able to take classes at the same level as at home. 3. Parents worry about the safety of their children and may also be concerned about the cost.
Advice to students who want to go abroad
1. Find out as much as possible about different programmes. 2. Compare different programs. 3. Contact students who have been abroad to hear about their experiences.
1.The disadvantage of studying abroad is . B A. language and culture B. cost and safety C. custom and culture D. exchange programme 2.Visiting students do the following things except C . A. staying in the host family’s house B. eating in the host family’s house C. becoming a member of the family D. keeping in touch with the host family afterwards 3.Before going out to study in a foreign country, you should not C A. care much about the money that may cost you B. collect as much information as possible C. plan a long course to study D. discuss every detail with your family
4.What makes it easier to study abroad nowadays? D A. The cost has become reasonable. B. There are programmes for all levels. C. Students can find “home-stay” service and live with the host family. D. All the above. 5.The greatest value of an exchange student studying abroad is C . A. to learn the language B. to widen one’s views and understand the culture of other country C. to have better idea of yourself and your own culture D. to learn to be independent of oneself
1. Many schools offer exchange programs at various academic levels at a reasonable cost. 2. Most exchange students say that they feel as if they were truly part of their host families…
3. What is perhaps the most valuable is what you learn about yourself and your own culture. 4. When you are at home, you seldom stop to think what kind of person you are and what your culture is really like.
5. … but many returning exchange students say that their year abroad made them understand their own country and culture for the first time.
6. While exchange students can learn many useful things, it is also possible that some of them may fall behind in their studies.
7. Since exchange students always experience language and culture problems in the beginning, they will not be able to take classes at the same level as at home.
8. If you are thinking of spending some time as a student in a foreign country, you should begin by finding out as much as possible about different programs.
9. If you have never been abroad or traveled alone before, it is probably best to start with a shorter visit, perhaps a summer course.
国外教育模式重视动 手能力及创造性；开阔 眼界，增长知识；掌握 外语，了解文化。
对家庭依赖性强，适 应能力差；自控能力，容 易受不良诱导变坏，成为 “留学垃圾”。
假定你名叫李华，现年16岁，欲留学 欧洲。看了上述对比，拿不定主意。请用 英文至涵澳大利亚教育部官员反映图表所 述情况咨询他们的意见。
? English philosopher, essayist, and statesman (1561-1626). He wrote essays in both English and Latin. His famous saying:
?“Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested(书有可浅尝者，有可吞食者，少数则须 咀嚼消化)”
Divide the passage into two parts:
? Part 1 (Para. 1 ~ 4)
Types of reading
? Part 2 (Para. 5 ~ 8)
Some more advice on reading
dip into it and read bits here and there.
Types of reading
Read slowly and carefully
Some more advice on reading
Get an idea of the organization of the book. 1) Read the back cover and the introduction. 2) Look at the pictures and the short texts below them. 3) Turn to the front of the book and look at the contents. Read a chapter fast to get a general idea Don’t stop every time you come across a new word. Use a dictionary when necessary. By making guesses about the information and organization of a text, you will be better prepared to understand the meaning of the whole article as well as new words.
what are the advantages of guessing the content
of an article?
a. you can become good at predicting the content and organization of an article. b. learn to predict what words will be used and what questions will be asked.
c. understand the article and it will be easy to
remember the main ideas d. When you come across something you didn’t know , you will pay more attention to it.
e. You can spend more time on the difficult and
number these subjects in the order in which they occur in the text.
.Guess about the
.Swallowing .Some reading tips
8 .What to read 4 .Reading carefully 7 .advantages of guessing 2 .Tasting
.Three ways of reading
1.Do not stop every time you come to a word or a phrase you don’t know “每当，每次”，接一个时间状语从句。类似用法：each time, next time, the first / last time, the year Every time she comes to Beijing, she will pay her Chinese teacher a visit. 2. Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.
be to do sth. = should/ought to do sth. (某时应当/必须如何做)
3. Imagine that you have found a good story, and what is even more important, the time to enjoy it. “what + be + 比较级”表示 递进说明的插入语 ? what is more (而且，更有甚者)
? what is worse (更糟糕的是)
4. Imagine that you come across this sentence in a book. ?He came across his old school friend when he was at the theatre.
5. Are there any hobbies or sports you particularly like? If so, look out for books, articles or magazines about them. 1. Take care 2. Look for a. “Look out for the train,” the sign at the railway crossing warns. b. He is looking our for a book on the life of Francis Bacon.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。