Unit 4 How Do You Spend Your Spare Time(2)
Reading &Writing and Real Life Skills Teaching material:
This material is selected from Unit 5 in English Book(Basic module part I) wh
ich is fit for the students in Jiangsu secondary vocational schools. The core content of the material is made up of three parts: Reading & Writing (about a girl who loves her garden) , (about hobbies) and Real Life Skills. By learning these materials and by taking part in class activities, the students will not only improve their four skills, but also have an awareness of cooperation and they will also have a better understanding of how to work well with other students.
1.The students’ common English level is not so good. 2. The students like English and show great interest in class activities. 3.The students have previewed this unit and have a general understanding of the unit.
Teaching approaches: 1. Use “Four-Step Reading Approach”. That is Warming-up, Comprehension, Evaluation and Creation. 2. Use Task-Based Language Teaching(TBLT). Most class activities are designed in the form of various tasks. By finishing these tasks the students can learn the knowledge as expected. 3. Use Communicative Teaching. The whole class is a large and constant oral English environment. The students are encouraged to use English as a tool to study English. Learning approaches: 1. The students study by Cooperative Learning. The students can finish the tasks by working with their partners so as to develop their creativeness and cooperative spirit. 2. The students study by Exploring Study. Under the guidance of the teacher, they will work in pairs or groups to find out some solutions to the tasks assigned by the teacher. Chief points: 1. How to let the students know the general meanings of the passage? 2. How to cooperate with their partners in class activities..
Difficult points： 1. How to apply “Four-Step Reading Approach” to teach the part of reading? 2. How to explain some difficult points? 3. How to arrange class activities? Teaching objectives： 【Ability objectives】 ： 1. Enable the students to learn to communicate and cooperate with others and exchange ideas with each other. 2. Enable the students to take part in class activities. 3. Enable the students to retell the passage.. 【Knowledge objectives】 ： 1. Enable the students to learn some words ands expressions.. 2. Enable the students to get a good understanding of the passage. 3. Enable the students to identify some sentences that contain Attributive Clauses in the passage. 【Moral objectives】: 1. Enable the students to have a better understanding of hobbies.. 2. Enable the students to listen carefully to other people and express themselves in a proper way. Teaching aids Multimedia courseware, color-pens, hand-outs
Teaching procedures： Part One Reading & Writing I.Warm-up (5 min)
Bring a basketball and show it to the class. Talk about one of my hobbies—playing basketball. Then tell them I have a wide range of hobbies, such as … Next ask the students to tell their hobbies. Finally lead to Mary’s hobby—Mary’s Garden.
II. Comprehension (35 min)
1. Brainstorming. (3 min) Look at the picture in the passage. Guess what Mary’s hobby is. Then scan the passage to check your prediction. 2. Listening. (5 min) Listen to the multimedia for the passage and check the answer..
3. Skimming (5 min) Skim the passage and find out “How does Mary plant her flowers”. Put the following pictures into the correct order.(P62) 4. Scanning (7 min) Look through the passage quickly and circle the correct answer.(P62) (1) Every year, Mary plants her flowers in ___ a. winter b. spring c. summer (2) What does Mary like most? a. Roses b. Lilies c. Cucumbers (3) What does Mary do with her flowers? a. She makes salads with them b. She gives them to friends in the dancing class. c. She wears them in her hair. 5. Intensive reading (15 min) Read the passage paragraph by paragraph. Then answer some questions for each paragraph. Questions for Para 1: (1) When does Mary begin planting flowers? (2) Where does she plant vegetables? (3) Where does she moves the small pots when it becomes warm enough? (4) What is Mary crazy about? (5) What vegetables does she plant? Questions for Para 2: (1) In which season can you see a full bloom of the flowers in Mary’s garden? (2) Give some examples of many kinds of colors you can see in her garden. (3) What does she use vegetables from her garden for? (4) How does Mary use her flowers?
III. Evaluation. (of the passage ) (30 min)
1. Attributive Clause. (10 min) There are some sentences that contain Attributive Clause, find out them and then filling the form. antecedent link verb other parts of the Attributive Clause
2. Connecting words. (10 min) (1) Read the following paragraph. Circle the connecting words and, but and or, and underline the ideas that each connecting word links. Mary loves planting flowers and vegetables. Her house is small but her garden is really big. Every year, Mary starts planting in late April or early May. She spends a lot of money on her garden, but she thinks it is worth every penny! (2) Complete the following paragraph. Use the connecting words to combine the details. I love Yoga. It is interesting, and good for my body. I usually go to Yoga classes on Saturday or Sunday. I often get tired at the end of the class, but__ I love the feeling. I spend a lot of money on Yoga, __but it is worth every penny. 3. Chronological order. (10 min) When we want to talk or write about a series of things that happen one after another as the time goes by, we can arrange them in chronological order. Ask the students to discuss in groups about “What does Mary do?” at different time, then fill in the table. Time in winter in early spring at the beginning of May when it become warm enough What does Mary do?
IV. Creation. (30 min)
1. Persuasion.(Pair work) (10 min) Ask the students to work in pairs and make a conversation about hobbies. Suppose the two students in each pair have different hobbies, the student are wanted to persuade each other . 2. Performance. (Group work) (10 min) The students have learned “like”， “love” before, and in this class they have learned “be crazy about”. These three words stand for three degrees as the following order. like→ love → be crazy about. They are supposed to work in groups and think of a thing and act out the three words. For example, when I saw iphone 4, I liked it; when I saw iphone 5, I loved it; when I saw iphone5S, I was crazy about it.
3. Investigation. (Group work) (10 min) Investigate your group members and find out their hobbies and the reasons, then fill in the following table. Name Hobbies Swimming Reasons Swimming can keep me fit and slim.
Part Two Real Life Skills. (25 min)
I. Choosing a club. (5 min) Your friends invite you to join one of the following school clubs. Think carefully and decide which club you want to join. (Choose from cards club, music club, art club, computer club, book club and sports club) II. Making a plan. (10 min) Now work with the classmates who have chosen the same club as you do, and make a weekly plan for the club activities. Example: Dancing club Time Monday Wednesday Saturday Sunday Activities Practice Practice Ball Disco party Places Classroom 314 Classroom 314 Dining hall Sports field
III. Report. (10 min) Report your plan to the class. There are ______________ people in our club. We plan to do the following every week: on Monday, we shall _____________________ in ________________; on …
Part Three Evaluation (of the students’ class performance) (7 min)
To evaluate the students’ performance by finishing evaluation forms.
Part Four Homework (3 min)
1.Prepare for the dictation of the words and expressions. 2.Write a short passage about one of the club activities in about 150 words.
Blackboard-writing Design: How Do You Spend Your Spare Time(2)
Antecedent small pots planting boxes the garden the money plants and flowers Link Verb that that where (that/which) that Other parts of the Attributive Clause She keeps near a window She hangs on the window they get the most sunlight she spends on her garden are full of beautiful colors
参 评 组 别 参 评 课 程
单 元 名 称 Unit4 How Do You Spend Your Spare Time（2） 姓 名 曾凡军 2013-12-17
参 评 时 间
学生课堂表现评价量表 个 人 评 价 同 学 评 价 教 师 评 价
上课认真听讲，作业 认真， 参与讨论态度 认真 积极举手发言，积极 参与讨论与交流，大 量阅读课外读物 大胆提出和别人不同 的问题，大胆尝试并 表达自己的想法 善于与人合作，虚心 听取别人的意见 能有条理表达自己 的 意见，解决问题的过 程清楚，做事有计划 具有创造性思维，能 用不同的方法解决问 题，独立思考
上课能认真听讲， 作业依时完成，有 参与讨论 能举手发言，有参 与讨论与交流，有 阅读课外读物 有提出自己的不同 看法，并作出尝试 能与人合作，能接 受别人的意见。 能表达自己的意 见，有解决问题的 能力，但条理性差 些 能用老师提供的方 法解决问题，有一 定的思考能力和创 造性
上课无心听讲， 经常欠 交作业， 极少参与讨论 很少举手， 极少参与讨 论与交流， 没有阅读课 外读物 不敢提出和别人不同 的问题， 不敢尝试和表 达自己的想法 缺乏与人合作的精神， 难以听进别人的意见 不能准确表达自己的 意思，做事缺乏计划 性，条理性，不能独立 解决问题 思考能力差， 缺乏创造 性， 不能独立解决问题
自信 善于 与人 合作 思维 的条 理性 思维 的创 造性
copyright ©right 2010-2020。