Unit 5 Music Grammar
I. Warming up
Underline the attributive clauses in the text that contain prep. + whom/which. 1. Have you ever dreamed of playing in front of thousands of
people at a concert, at which everyone is clapping and appreciating your music? 2. They may start as a group of high-school students, for whom practising their music in someone’s house is the first step to fame. 3. Later they may give performances in pubs or clubs, for which they are paid in cash.
4. The musicians were to play jokes on each other as well as play music, most of which was based loosely on the Beatles. 5. However, after a year or so in which they became more serious about their work, the Monkees started to play and sing their own songs like a real band. 6. They produced a new record in 1996, with which they celebrated their former time as a real band.
II. Use summary
介词+which/whom引导的定语从句用于正式场合。 在这一结构中，关系代词which/whom做介词的 宾语。
? 当先行词是人时，用介词+whom引导定语从句，例如： They may start as a group of high-school students, for whom practising their music in someone’s house is the first step to fame. 当先行词是物时，用介词+which引导定语从句，而且只 能加which，不能加that，例如： They produced a new record in 1996, with which they celebrated their former time as a real band.
Fill in each blank with a proper prep.+ whom/which.
1. This is the gun with _____ _____ which the hunter shot the antelope. whom he will compete come from Greece and 2. The athletes against _____ _____ Czech Republic. 3. He’ll never forget the day _____ _____ he was admitted to the on which Olympic Games for the first time. 4. A great number of cultural relics have been found in a village _____ in which there are lots of old temples. _____ with which 5. The guitar _____ _____ Dave composed our first hit is in a music museum. in whom 6. The musicians _____ _____ we have great interest toured Europe with us.
Read the passage and complete it using attributive clauses, some of which may use prep.+ which/whom. There have been many popular bands in the world, of which the most famous was the Beatles. The four __________ young men __________ made up the band only who performed and recorded from 1963 to 1970. During those years they gave many concerts, __________ at which they played all their latest hits. They made many records, __________ for which they will always be remembered. Their songs were a mixture of rock and roll and ballads, in which they often wrote about their own lives and __________ problems. Although
they were not trained actors, they took part in films during/in which they often played themselves. ______________ Their performances were humorous and interesting. Their fans, ____________ without whom the Beatles would not have been so famous, at last caused problems for them. They followed them everywhere. Finally they stopped their concerts in order to live quieter lives, although their songs remain as popular as ever.
There is a grammatical error in each of the following sentences. Please read them carefully and correct the mistake.
1. Simon helped Peter repair his guitar, for that he was very grateful. 2. I like songs to which the feelings of love is expressed. 3. I enjoyed my holiday on which I went to a concert of pop music. 4. I like my music teacher for which I have great respect. 5. I have many friends of which some are musicians. 6. Peter went to a concert at whom his favourite band played and sang.
1. Simon helped Peter repair his guitar, for which he was very grateful. 2. I like songs in which the feelings of love is expressed. 3. I enjoyed my holiday during which I went to a concert of pop music. 4. I like my music teacher for whom I have great respect. 5. I have many friends of whom some are musicians. 6. Peter went to a concert at which his favourite band played and sang.
1.They live in a house, whose windows
are made of glass. the _______ windows They live in a house, ____ of which ___ _____ are made of glass.
whose + n = the + n + of which
2. He has two daughters, and both of them are college students.
He has two daughters, ____ both ___ of whom are college students. ______
3. China has hundreds of islands, the
largest of which is Tai Wan.
China has hundreds of islands, ___ of _____ which the largest is Tai Wan.
4. Can you think of a situation where this word is used?
Can you think of a situation ___ in ______ which
this word is used?
5. China has a lot of famous writers and
Lu Xun is one of them.
China has a lot of famous writers, one ___ of ______ whom is Lu Xun.
关系副词可以替代介词+which/whom结构。 ? where可以替代to/at/from/in which, 例如：They visited the city where/in which John Denver was born. ? when可以替代during/at/in/on which，例如：I will never forget the year when/in which our band started. ? why可以替代for which，例如：The reason why/for which he left the band was that he hated the busy life. ? how可以替代in which，但是要同时去掉the way， 例如：The students do not know how/the way in which a music band can be formed.
Read these sentences and try to simplify them changing them where necessary. Eample: I don’t understand the way in which you solved this problem. →I don’t understand how you solved this problem. 1. This is the month during which we like to go to outdoor concerts. This is the month when we like to go to outdoor concerts.
2. She gave a musical concert in the hall in which we interviewed a famous violinist last week. She gave a musical concert in the hall where we interviewed a famous violinist last week. 3. Lillian lives in a town in which there are many cultural events. Lillian lives in a town where there are many cultural events. 4. A concert hall is a place to which you go to buy tickets for a show. A concert hall is a place where you go to buy tickets for a show.
5. Finding a job as a singer was the reason for which I moved. Finding a job as a singer was the reason why I moved. 6. Summer is the time at which it is best to practise outside with your band. Summer is the time when it is best to practise outside with your band. 7. His studio was the place in which we recorded our greatest hits. His studio was the place where we recorded our greatest hits.
8. I relied on my car until it broke down at the place at which three roads meet. I relied on my car until it broke down at the place where three roads meet. 9. I am familiar with your songs and the way in which you compose them. I am familiar with your songs and how you compose them. 10. It is a time at which the sun begins to sink and the moon to rise. It is a time when the sun begins to sink and the moon to rise.
Revise your writing according to the teacher’s instructions and your partner’s suggestions.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。