一、单元要点预览 词语 辨析 1. within / in
Canada — “The True North”
3. in / on / to (表示方位)
2. broad / wide / widely / broadly
4. manage to do sth. / try
to do sth. / attempt to do sth. / seek to do sth. 1. Canada n.加拿大 Canadian adj.加拿大 的 n.加拿大人 2. multi(构词成分) 有很多……的 multicultural adj. 多元文化的 multicoloured adj. 多色 multiracial adj.多种族的 的 multimedia n.&adj. 多媒体(的) 3. extreme adj.极度(端)的； extremely adv.极端地；非常地 distantly adv. 淡然地 n.极端，过分 4. slightly adv. 轻微地 slight adj.轻微的；纤细的
词形 变化 词 汇 部 分
5. confirm vt. 证实，肯定； confirmation n. 证实 确认；批准 6. wealthy adj. 富有的；丰 富的 7. distance n. 距离 8. tradition n. 传统，惯例 distant adj. 远方的 traditional adj.传统的，习惯的 traditionally adv 传统上 的 9. approximately adv. 近似 地，几乎正确地 1. chat vi.&n. 聊天；闲聊 2. eastward adv. 向东 adj. 向东的；朝东的 approximate adj.大概的 vt.接 近 vi.(to) 近似 wealthily adv.富有地，丰富地 wealth n. 财富
重点 单 词
3. surround vt.&vi. 包围；围绕 4. measure vi.&vt. 测量；衡量；判定 n.[c,u] 尺寸；量具；计量单位；措施 5. mix vt.&vi. 混合；调配 6. nearby adj.附近的；邻近的 adv.在附近 7. terrify vt. 使恐怖；恐吓 8. impress vt. 使印象深刻
1. rather than 是……而不是……；与其……不如……；不愿 2. settle down 坐下或躺下； （使）安顿、安心；习惯於新的生活方式/工作等 重点 词组 3. catch sight of 看见；瞥见 4. have a gift for... 对……有天赋 5. in the distance 在远处；在远方 6. as far as 远到，直到；至于 重点 句子 重点语法 1. It is so wet there that the trees are extremely tall, some measuring over 90 metres. 2. There is more fresh water in Canada than in any other country in the world. 同位语从句（见语法部分）
4. manage to do sth. / try to do sth. / attempt to do sth. / seek to do sth. manage to do sth.= succeed in doing sth. difficult 设法做成某些困难的事 try to do sth. = seek to do sth. 设法做某事（不一定做成） attempt to do sth.= try to so sth. difficult 设法做某些困难的事（不一定做成） 1). He was stubborn, but we _______ to persuade him. 2). He _______ to swim across the river, but failed. 三、词性变化 1). When asked, she _________ (confirmation) that she was going to retire. 2). He left as a poor, working class boy and returned as a ________ (wealth) man. 3). Instead of stopping to speak, she passed by with only a ________ (distance) nod. 4). Britain is increasingly a ________ (多元文化的) society. 5). Earthquakes are ________ (extreme) difficult to predict. 6). The ________ ( distant) between his house and school is quite short. 7). The color black is ________ (tradition) associated with mourning. 8). Nowadays many young people still have ________ (tradition) family values. 9). Among my pen pals, two are ________ (Canada). 10). The job will take ________ (approximate) three weeks. 四、重点词汇 1. chat vi.&n. 聊天；闲聊 chat to/with sb (about sth) = have a chat with sb (about sth) 与某人聊天、闲谈……
1). She often spends hours on the phone _______ (chat) to her friends. 2). We had a nice chat _______ (介词) a cup of tea. 2. eastward adv. 向东 adj. 向东的；朝东的
1). It is said that Tangseng and his four apprentices(徒弟) traveled ________ in order to obtain the sacred Buddhist scripture. 2). When winter comes, the migratory birds travel in an __________ direction. 3. surround vt.&vi. 包围；围绕 surrounding adj. 周围的 surroundings (常用 pl.)环境 surround...with... 用……包围…… 1). _______ by a group of children, he felt happy. 2). There is no such kind of modern hospital in the ________ areas. 3). She has always been _______ _______fashionable friends. 4). She hopes to bring up her children in healthy _______. 5). With the house_______, the thief couldn’t flee and was caught. 4. measure vi.&vt. 测量；衡量；判定 measure A by B 用 B 衡量 A n.[c,u] 尺寸；量具；计量单位；措施 sth. measures 2 metres by 4 metres 某物长 4 米宽 2 米 be surrounded by/with... 周围都是……
measure sb. for a suit = make a suit to sb’ s measure 给某人量身做一套衣服 1). The tailor made a suit ______ _______ _______. 2). Success isn’ t _______ _______ how much money you have. 3). 我们教室的尺寸是长 10 米宽 6 米。 _________________________________________________________________________________ 5. mix vt.&vi. 混合；调配 mixture n.[u,c] 混合（物） ；混合状态 mix sth. up 把某物拌和；混淆某物 be/get mixed up with sth./sb. 与某事有关；与某人混在一起
mix A and/with B 把甲与乙拌和起来 mix sth. in/into 把某物掺进去
1). Don’ t try to _______ business ______ pleasure. 2). Mix the eggs ______ the flour. 3). I don’ t want to ______ ______ ______ in the affair. 7. terrify vt.使恐怖；恐吓 terrified adj.恐惧的；受惊吓的 terrifying adj.（令人）可怕的 be terrified at/by sth. 被某事（物）恐吓 be terrified of sth. = be afraid of 害怕某事（物）
1). She ______ that Ronnie would kidnap Sam. 2). She was ______at the thought that Ronnie would kidnap Sam.
3). It was a ______ experience. 8. impress vt.使印象深刻；使铭记 impression n.[c]印象；感想 impressive adj.给人印象深刻的
impress sth. on/upon sb. = impress sb. with/by sth. 使某人铭记某事物 make/give/crate an impression on/upon... 给……一个印象 have/get the impression that 有……的印象 1). Father _______ _______ me the value of hard work. 2). One candidate in particular ______ us ______ her knowledge. 3). You ______ an excellent ______ ______ us. 4). When I first met him I ______ ______ ______ ______ he was a humorous man. 五、重点词组 1. rather than... 是……而不是……；与其……不如……；不愿 A rather than B 是 A 而不是 B would rather do A than do B = would do A rather than do B 宁可做 A 而不做 B prefer to do A rather than do B 最喜欢做 A 而不做 B would rather sb. did/had done sth. 宁愿某人做某事 1). He came running all the way ______ ______walking. 2). Rather than ______ (ride) on a crowded bus, he always prefers ______ (ride) a bicycle. 3). I’ d rather you ______ ______ (not come) yesterday. 4). She likes to keep things in the house ______ ______ throw them away, though many are useless. 5). I think Tom, ______ ______ you, ______ ______ ______ (blame). 6). 他宁愿死也不愿在街上乞讨。_____________________________________________ 2. settle down 舒适地坐下或躺下； （使）安静、安顿、安心；习惯於新的生活方式/工作等 settle down to… 使某人安下心来做…… settle (down) in ... 在……定居下来
settle a dispute/an argument/an issue 解决一争端/争论/问题 1). Something is disturbing him, so he can’ t ______ ______ ______ (安下心来) his work. 2). He finally settled down to ______ (do) his homework. 3). They have finally ______ _______ ______ Canada. 3. catch sight of 看见；瞥见 lose sight of 看不见；不再看见 keep sight of 使能看得到；保持看得到的距离
at (the) sight of 一看到（就） out of sight 看不见；在视线外
in/within sight 可以看见；在视线内 have good/poor sight/eyesight 视力好/差
1). ______ ______ ______ his mother, the boy stopped crying. 2). She watched the train until it went ______ ______ ______. 3). I ______ ______ ______ my former teacher just now, but very soon he turned a corner and I ______ _______ ______ him. 4). Be sure to ______ ______ ______ your luggage while you’ re at the airport. 4. have a gift for... 对……有天赋 have a gift for (doing) sth.= have the gift to do sth. 对……有天赋；有做某事的才能 a man of excellent gifts 一个非常有才华的人 1). 他天生有着讲故事的才能。 _________________________________________________________________________________ 2). 我羡慕他有着作为老师的天赋。 _________________________________________________________________________________ 5. in the distance 在远处；在远方 at a distance 隔一段距离；距离稍远一些 keep a distance 别靠近 1). We can see a windmill ______ the distance. 2). The picture looks better ______ a distance. 3). He was asked many times to join the party, but he always ______ ______ ______. 6. as far as 远到，直到；至于 as/so far as sb. knows 就某人所知 as far as sb. can see/tell/ remember 就某人看来/所说/所记得 as/so far as sb/sth is concerned 就某人/事物而言 So far, so good. (谚) 到目前为止，一切都很顺利。 1). _______ _______ _______ _______ _______ (对我个人来说), you can do what you like. 2). The problem is _______ _______ _______ (绝非易事). 3). We’ ll go by train ______ ______ ______ (直到) London, and then take a bus. 六、重点句子 1. It is so wet there that the trees are extremely tall, some measuring over 90 metres. 那里空气湿 far from sth 毫不；一点也不； 远非 from a distance 从远方 keep sb. at a distance 对某人保持疏远 a gifted/telented person 一个有天赋/才华的人
润，因而树木长得相当高，有的超过 90 米。 辨析：so...that 与 such...that： 1). She is _______ lovely a girl _______ all of us like very much. 2). They are _______ little worms _______we can’ t see them with our eyes. 2. There is more fresh water in Canada than in any other country in the world. 1). 他是班里最高的。 _________________________________________________________________________________ 2). 中国比非洲任何一个国家都大。 _________________________________________________________________________________ 七、语法填空 While Emily was working on her French lessons or watching football games on TV, George was working for his father in his store George so 1 school. He liked selling things to people. Mr. Peters found
2 (help) that he thought about offering him a higher pay. 3 brought Emily and George back together. 4 George was going 5
In fact, it was football
home one afternoon, he looked in the window of Emily's living-room and he saw that she
(watch) a football game on TV. He walked up and knocked at the door. Emily was surprised to see him, 6 she asked him to come in, and they watched 7 rest of the game together. Emily and
George are good friends again. They still have different ideas about things sometimes, but they agree with 8 that football is the world's best game. Mrs. Mason doesn't seem to 10 as she used to. 9 (approve) of
her daughter's interest in football as 八、阅读理解
A To "sacrifice" means to give up something for the sake of something else. We decided to sacrifice our luxurious city life to move to a seaside village with our children aged 9 and 3. In the city, we had a beautiful home and plenty of money but little real security because crime was on the increase every day. We never knew if we would all make it home safely each night. We were very happy in the new town but life was very difficult economically. Our income was very much dependent on tourism and the jobs at other times are few. Although many of the long-standing residents live well, it is a very competitive environment for newcomers. Reading the newspapers from big cities assured us that we had made the right choice. There is so
much violence and crime there! However, it was not always easy to explain to the children why they could no longer have what they used to have, especially when our "rich" friends came from the city to visit us. Generally, they have so much but think they have so little and are always looking for more. One day, one of our rich friends came to visit us. His son preferred riding in the back of our beat-up little pickup (小卡车) to his father' s big modern car. Our little daughter called me and said, “Mom, please help me to explain to James the reason why he is wrong. He said, ' today, if you don't have money you are nothing.' I know that is not true. If you do have money you share it with your friends and if they don't have money, you share it with them. That is what makes us all rich." This made me realize that the sacrifice was well worth it. Our kids understand that they may not have all the spoils of city life but they do have a solid set of values and they know that our most precious gifts are our good friends and a wonderful environment. 1. What was the reason why the family moved away from the city? A. They were tired of city life. C. The people in the city were not friendly. B. The city was not safe enough. D. The cost of living in the city was too high.
2. Why was it "a very competitive environment" for them according to the author? A. The residents were all very poor. B. It was hard to make a living.
C. Their children couldn't get what they had in the city. D. They had few friends in their new environment. 3. What assured the author that they had made the right choice according to the passage? A. What she read in the newspaper. C. The residents' living conditions. B. The beautiful scenery of countryside. D. That fact that they had been accustomed to the new place.
4. What does the underlined word "beat-up" probably mean? A. Old. B. Convenient. C. Powerful. D. Expensive.
5. What did the family gain from their sacrifice? A. They had a beautiful house in the seaside village. B. They made a lot of money during the tourist seasons. C. The parents got very good jobs in the new town. D. The children developed good values.
B Over the past 10 years, technologies that have combined computers with telephones have developed. Technologies such as PC fax programs and LAN fax servers(局域网传真服务器) have been used to improve fax communications. The latest computer-based technologies are new mechanisms(机制) which use IP(Internet Protocol, 因特网协议) to send faxes, that is, IP fax. Traditional fax has a fairly simple usage model. First, the user inserts a document into the fax machine, enters the destination fax number and presses the start button on the machine. The sending machine dials the receiving fax machine. If it connects, the sending machine scans the documents and sends it over the public switched telephone network(PSTN, 公共电话交换网) to the receiving machine. At the same time, the receiving machine receives the document and then prints it. In IP fax system there are two basic transmission modes: store-and-forward mode and real-time mode. Store-and-forward mode has been widely used. In this mode, the entire document is sent to a network-based server that stores it and then sends it to the destination. Real-time IP faxing is similar to traditional fax. Real-time mode allows two fax machines to directly communicate through a proper standard. IP fax enables a fax document to be sent from one person to another. A fax machine or a computer can be used to send or receive the fax. IP fax also allows e-mail to be used to receive faxes. This would enable users to receive faxes anywhere, anytime with an internet fax address. 61. The passage deals mainly with _______. A. PC fax B. IP fax C. information technology D. new machines
62. In traditional fax, _______ can be used. A. even computers B. LAN fax servers C. e-mail D. only fax machines
63. IP fax can use all of the following to send and receive a fax except _______. A. a fax machine B. a receiving machine C. a computer D. e-mail
64. In real-time IP fax mode _______. A. two fax machines communicate directly C. users can receive faxes anywhere B. a network-based server is used D. the PSTN has to be used
65. In paragraph 2, the word “inserts” can be placed by _______. A. prints B. presses C. puts C
The porter brings your bags to your room and helpfully explains all you want to know. Then he points to the phone and says: “If there's anything else you need, just call.” All this time you have been thinking one thing: “How much should I tip(付小费) him?” To make your next trip a little easier, here's a guide to tipping across some Asian countries. Bangkok In general, the more Westernized the place is, the more likely you will be expected to leave a tip. Some top-end restaurants will add a 10% service charge to the bill. If not, waiters will appreciate you tacking on(附加) the 10% yourself. However, if you're eating at a lower-end(低档的) restaurant a tip is not necessary. If you're staying at one of Bangkok's many five-star hotels, expect to tip the porter 20 to 50 baht(泰国货币单位), depending on how many bags you have. Taxis are now metered in Bangkok. Local custom is to round the fare(车费) up to the nearest five baht. Hong Kong Tipping is customary in this money-mad metropolis(大都市). Most restaurants add a 10% service charge to the bill, but the extra money often ends up in the pocket of the owner. If the service is good, add another 10% to the bill, up to HK $100 in an especially nice restaurant. For HK $10 hotel porters should do it at all but the nicest hotels where a new HK $20 bill may be more acceptable. When in a taxi, round up(凑整数) to the nearest dollar. Kuala Lumpur Tipping in Malaysia is limited to the expensive Westernized hotels, which often add a 10% service charge to your meal or hotel room. If you are at a hotel restaurant, expect a 10% service charge. But at local restaurants, there's no need to add a tip. At five-star hotels, one or two ringgit(马 来西亚货币单位) will content a porter. At lower-end buildings don't feel you have to tip. Like Bangkok, many taxis are now metered so you can just round up to the nearest ringgit. Seoul Tipping is not part of Korean culture, although it has become a matter of course in international hotels where a 10% service charge is often added. If you're at a Korean barbecue joint(烧烤处), there's no need to add anything extra. But a nice Italian restaurant may require a 10% contribution. If you're at a top-end hotel, so expect to pay 500～1 000 won per bag. Taxi drivers don't accept a tip. Keep the change for yourself. 66. In which of the following cities is it unnecessary to tip the taxi-drivers?
B. Hong Kong. C. Kuala Lumpur.
67. Which of the following is NOT the unit of money? A. Charge. B. Baht. C. Won. D. Ringgit.
68. From the text, we can infer tipping comes from _______. A. Hong Kong B. the west C. Asian countries D. Bangkok
69. If you stay at a five-star hotel in Kuala Lumpur, how much will you pay the porter at least? A. 10% of service charge. B. one ringgit. C. half a ringgit. D. two ringgit.
70. The writer seems _______. A. to tell the readers how to travel B. to give the readers some advice on how to tip D. to make the trip more pleasant
C. to ask the readers to go on a travel to Asian cities D
Are you carrying too much on your back at school? I’m sure lots of children of your age will say “Yes”. Not only the students in China have this problem, but children in the United States also have heavy school bags. Doctors are starting to worry that younger and younger students are having back and neck problems as a result of school bags being too heavy for them. “It’s hard for me to go upstairs with my bag because it’s so heavy,” said Rick Hammond, an 11-year-old student in the US. Rick is among students who have common school bags with two straps(带子) to carry them, but many other students choose rolling(有滚轮的) bags. But even with rolling bags, getting up stairs and buses is still a problem for children. Many of them have hurt their backs and necks because of the heavy school bags. But how much is too much? Doctors say students should carry no more than 10% to 15% of their own body weight(重量). Scott Batch, a back doctor, said children under Grade 4 should stay with 10%. But it is also important that older children don’t stay with over 15%, because their bodies are still growing. “Children are losing their balance(平衡) and falling down with their school bags,” he said. Parents and teachers are starting to tell children to only take home library books they will be reading that night. Some teachers are using pieces of paper or thin workbooks for students to take home.
One of the best answers is, as some children said, to have no homework at all! 71. From the passage we can know that _______. A. only children in China carry too heavy school bags B. children in other countries don’t carry too heavy bags C. both children in China and the US carry too heavy school bags D. only children in the US carry too heavy school bags 72. Children feel it hard for them to go upstairs because _______. A. they are too young B. their school bags are too heavy D. their parents don’t always go upstairs with them together
C. they don’t know how to go upstairs
73. If a child carries a heavy school bag, _______. A. his back and neck will be hurt C. his hands will be hurt B. his head and arms will be hurt D. his feet will be hurt
74. According to the doctor, Scott Batch, if a child in Grade 5 weighs(重) about 30 kilos, the school bag he carries should not be over _______. A. 5 kilos B. 3 kilos C. 5.5 kilos D. 4.5 kilos
75. Some students think the best answer to this problem is that _______. A. they should have a little homework to do after they get home B. their teachers had better not ask them to do any homework C. they should only take home library books they will read that night D. they should use thin workbooks instead of thick ones
copyright ©right 2010-2020。