北师大版 高二 (5) Unit 14
Lesson 4 Job Trends
★ To practice matching sentences with sentence gaps in a text. ★ To practice vocabulary related to work and job
s. ★ To practice collocations (verb + noun, verb + adverb, verb + adjective).
In pairs, discuss these questions. The Key Words may help you. 1. What job areas have become more important in the last twenty years?
2. What jobs have become less
important? 3. What skills and qualities are useful to get a good job nowadays?
Job areas: farming, coal mining,
information technology, the
media, services, ship building, steel production
Skills: communication skills, computer skills, driving, language skills, typing
Qualities: creative, flexible, hardworking, motivated, understanding, helpful, good judgement
Read the sentences below and the text. Then follow the steps in the Reading Strategies to find the correct sentences (a-f) for each gap (1-6) in the text.
a. On the other hand, the service industry, the media and information 2 b. Because of this, people who work with computers will be in much greater technology are booming.
c. However, understanding other people,
their minds, culture and history will 6 d. First of all, don’t panic. 1
be very important.
e. They will also need people who can work together and get on well in a team. 5 f. Because of this, workers will have to be more flexible. 4
Read the article again and answer these questions. 1. What is “future shock” ? The speed of change that affects people’s lives and work.
2. What is one of the job areas of the future? The media, information technology. 3. How will jobs change? People will have different contracts, not work for one company.
4. How will companies change? They will be organized more democratically. 5. What skills and personal qualities will people need? Communication skills, computer skills, working with people from different cultures.
6. What personal benefits will the new situation bring? You can live where you want, continue your studies and have a lot more free time.
1. It is sometimes difficult to work out the patterns of change. 有时很难搞清变化的规律。 work out 算出, 估计出
He sat down at his desk to work out the exact figures. 他在书桌旁坐下来,准备算出准确 的数字。 He was meant to work out these math problems all alone. 他应当独立完成这些数学习题。
2. People will move sideways to do different jobs, rather than moving up the “company ladder” as before. 人们不会像以前那样在同一个公司 寻求提升,他们会多方去寻找不同 的工作。
rather than 与其……毋宁…… It was what he meant rather than what he said. 尽管他没有说出来,但那是他的意思。 He was an objective rather than a subjective writer. 与其说他是个主观型作家,不如说他 是客观型作家。
3. Many more people will work for small, dynamic companies which can react quickly to changes in the market. 许多人会供职于小而具有活 力的公司,这样的公司能快速适应市 场变化。 react to 对某事作出反应, 对某人有 疗效。
How did he react to the news?
How is your patient reacting to the course of treatment? 你的病人对疗程的反应如何？
4. Above all, a manager will need to feel comfortable working with people from other cultures and coping with cultural differences. 最为重要的是,一个经理需要与不 同文化背景的人愉快合作,需要适 应各种文化差异。
cope with 应付, 处理 They lack the strength to cope with all these problems. 他们无力处理这些问题。 This is more than I am able to cope with. 这超出我的处理能力。
★ Use the table below to classify these words from the text that often go together.
decrease rapidly, become international, start one’s own business, feel comfortable, find (something) difficult, have an advantage, have free time, pay attention, respond quickly, take a deep breath
verb+ noun have an advantage
verb+ adverb decrease rapidly
verb+ adjective become international
feel comfortable; find (something) difficult
start one’s own business; respond have free time; quickly pay attention; take a deep breath
★ Complete the sentences below with the correct form of expressions from Exercise 6.
1. I never really _______________ feel comfortable speaking in a foreign language. 2. If you look at unemployment, it decrease rapidly ________________ in the past few months.
3. We get so much homework that I don’t ____________ to relax. have free time 4. I’d like to ____________________ start my own business one day and not work for a boss. respond quickly 5. Drivers have to _______________ to avoid accidents. have an advantage 6. I _________________ in maths. I find difficult even ________arithmetic ________.
★ Complete the vocabulary networks with words from this list:
bored, my own business, an accident, a job, an exam, an excuse, somebody a favor, a good time, home, your homework, married, a mistake, money, a bonus, a suggestion, your best
1. an exam 2. somebody a favor do 3. your homework 4. your best
5. an excuse
6. a mistake
8. a suggestion
9. my own business 10. an accident have 11. a job 12. a good time 13.
bored home a bonus
Writing and Speaking
In pairs, take turns to say sentences about yourself. Use the verb collocations from Exercise 8. Example I’d like to have my own insurance business one day. Then write a composition about your favorite job in the future.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。