Unit 1 Reading
Festivals And Celebrations ____Difficult Points
1. Festivals and celebrations of all kinds have been held everywhere. of all kinds 各种各样的
ll kinds of the same kind of
different kinds of this/that kind of a kind of
① That kind of question is very difficult to answer. = Questions of that kind are difficult to answer. 那类问题是很难解答的。
② We sell all kinds of shoes. = We sell shoes of all kinds.
③ You can see different kinds of animals in the zoo. = You can see animals of different kinds in the zoo. 你在动物园可以看见不同种类的动物。
Practice （用动词的适当形式填空） ① Books of this kind ____ (sell) sell well in the bookstore. ② This kind of books ____ (sell) sells well in the bookstore. ①句中谓语动词的单复数由 “books”确定。②句中的谓语动词 由“kind”确定。
2. At that time people would starve if food was difficult to find, especially during the clod winter months. 在那个时代，如果食物难以找到，特 别是在寒冷的冬月，人们就会挨饿。
3.Some festivals are held to honour the dead or to satisfy the ancestors, who could return either to help or to do harm. 举行有些节日是为了纪念死者, 或使祖先 得到告慰，因为祖先们有可能回到世上 （给人们）提供帮助，也可能带来危害。
do harm to sb = harm sb 伤害某人 sb. comes to harm某人受到伤害 I’ll go with her to make sure she comes to no harm. 我要和她一同去以免她受到伤害。
do more harm than good: have an effect which is more damaging than helpful 弊大于利
If we solve the problem in this way, it
may do more harm than good.
4. For the Japanese festival Obon, people should go to clean graves and
light incense in memory of their
[考例1] —How’s your tour around the North Lake? Is it beautiful? —It ___ be, but it is now heavily polluted. (2007全国卷I) A. will B. would C. should D. must [点拨] should在句中表示一种有较大可 能实现的猜测, 推论, 意为“应该”。
[考例2] —My cat’s really fat. —You ___ have given her so much food. (浙江 2007) A. wouldn’t B. couldn’t C. shouldn’t D. mustn’t [点拨] shouldn’t have given表示本不该 给而实际上却给了。
[考例3] I told your friend how to get to the hotel, but perhaps I ______ have driven her there. (陕西 2007) A. could B. must C. might D. should [点拨] 根据语境知道应该用should have driven, 表示本来应该开车把她送过去而 实际上却没有送。
[考例4] —I think I’ll give Bob a ring. —You _____. You haven’t been in touch with him for ages. (江苏 2006) A. will B. may C. have to D. should [点拨] 句意: 你都好长时间没同他联系 了, 应该给他打个电话, 表示劝告或建议。
[考点2] in memory of/ to the
memory of sb. 纪念某人
The statue was built in memory
of the famous scientist.
5. Halloween also had its origin in old beliefs about the return of the spirits of dead people. 万圣节也源自人们古老的信念，认
6. It is now a children’s festival, when they can dress up and go to their neighbours’ homes to ask for sweets. 万圣节如今成了孩子们的节目，这天他 们可以乔装打扮上邻居家要糖吃。
She is ___ in red today and looks very beautiful. A. wearing B. having on C. dressing D. dressed
7. India has a national festival on
October 2 to honour Mohandas
Gandhi, the leader who helped gain
India’s independence from Britain.
[点拨] 此句中Mohandas Gandhi和
the leader是同位语，the leader指的
8. Harvest and Thanksgiving festivals
can be very happy events.
can 的主要用法有: 1) 表示能力。2) 表
[考例1] The biggest problem for most plants, which ____ just get up and run away when threatened, is that animals like to eat them. (湖南 2007) A. shan’t B. can’t C. needn’t D. mustn’t [点拨] 用can’t表示没有某种能力, 意为 “不能”。
[考例2] There’s no light on — they
______ be at home. (2006全国卷I) A. can’t C. needn’t B. mustn’t D. shouldn’t
[点拨] can用于对现在的推测, 常用于 否定句或疑问句中。can’t 表示“不 可能” 。
[考例3] Some aspects of a pilot’s job ___ be boring, and pilots often ___ work at inconvenient hours. (湖南 2006) A. can; have to C. have to; may B. may; can D. ought to; must
[点拨] 第一空表示“可能性”, 可以是
不”, 所以只能是have to。
[考例4] —Do you know where David is? I couldn’t find him anywhere. —Well. He ____ have gone far — his coat’s still here. (湖北 2005) A. shouldn’t B. mustn’t C. can’t D. wouldn’t [点拨] can’t have done 表示对过去情况 的推测, 意为“不可能已经……”。
9. The most energetic and important festivals are the ones that look forward to the end of winter and the coming of spring. look forward to look forward to (doing) sth. 意为 期待着(做)某事, 其中的to是介词, 而 不是动词不定式符号。
15. have fun with sb.
词组为have a good time, enjoy
oneself. 短语有have fun (in)
根据下列各句句意及所给单词的首字母 或汉语提示, 写出该单词的正确形式。
1. Mohandas Gandhi was a political and
a religious leader in Indian history. r________
2. After the accident, he has lost his
b_____ in God. belief 3. Don’t play t______ on me — I want to tricks know the truth.
4. He has g______ rich working gained
experience in these years. gathered 5. A crowd _________ (聚集) to see what had happened.
6. He has been _________ (奖励) a medal awarded for his great bravery. 7. This _________ (衣服) sells well to the clothing teenage market.
8. The king promised to hold a great feast ______ (盛宴) for all his people. arrival 9. We apologize for the late ______ (到达) of the train.
1. Without food, the dog was starved to ___ death. 2. The scientists published a new theory to explain the origins ___ the of universe. 3. My mother says she’s looking forward ____ meeting you. to
4. We covered the sofa ______ a large with
5. A good marriage is based ______ trust. on
6. India gained independence ______ from
Britain in 1947.
7. We named the lake Rebecca ____ in
memory of her.
8. The film ends ______ the death of the with
copyright ©right 2010-2020。