Module 6 Unexplained Mysteries of the Natural World
课标定位·高效导学 类别 课程标准要求掌握的项目 attack vt./n.袭击，攻击，进攻 footprint n.脚印，足迹 hairy adj.毛发的，多毛的 frightening adj.可怕的 crea
ture n.生物，创造物 exist vi.存在，生存 sharp adj.锋利的，尖的 journal n.日报，杂志，日志 sighting n.（珍奇动物等的）目击， 发现 seal n.海豹，封条，图章 vt.封，密封 mysterious adj.神秘的 claim vt.声称，主张 surface n.地面，外表 dive vi.跳水，俯冲 calm adj.平静的 skeptical adj.怀疑的，不相信的
get close to 靠近，接近 because of 由于，因为 look like 看上去像 instead of 而不是，代替
unlikely adj.不太可能的 volcanic adj.火山的 cover vt.盖住，包括，占地（多大面积） adapt vt.使适应，改编，适合 disappear vi.不见，失踪，消失 extinct adj.绝种的，消亡了的 evolve vt.使进化，使发展，演变 fierce adj.凶猛的，狂热的 destruction n.破坏，毁灭，消灭 generous adj.慷慨的，宽厚的 unpredictable adj. 不可预知的 reputation n.名誉，声望 border n.边缘，边界 positive adj.确定的，积极的，正的 indicate vt.标示，表示，表明 identity n.身分，相同 vt.确定身份 fortune n.命运，运气，财产
come straight to the point 开门见山，直入本题 throw light on 阐明，照亮，提醒 go for 主张，支持 be connected to 与??有联系 be allowed to do sth. 被允许做某事 a sense of national identity 民族认同感 be due to 由于；应归于 grow out of 产生于，戒除 be afraid of 担心?? a bringer of good fortune 一个好运的使者
close up 关闭， （伤口）愈合 be unlikely to do sth.不可能做某事 more than 多于，不仅仅 be related to 与??相关（有联系） in order to 为了?? die out 消失，灭绝；熄灭
It is 2189 meters high and covers an area of about ten square kilometers. In places it is more than 370 meters deep. I will come straight to the point. If you throw light on something you make it easier to understand.
May have /might have
The dinosaurs may have stopped evolving, and been unable to adapt to changes in the climate. They may have killed each other.
Section Ⅰ Introduction, Reading and Vocabulary ＆ Function 知识整合·能力聚焦 考点搜索 1：claim 的用法 【例 1】Has anyone ___________ the wallet I handed in yesterday? A. claimed B. announced C. requested D. influenced 解析：考查动词词义辨析：claim 声称，索领；announce 宣布，通知；request 请求，要求； require 要求，需要。句意：我昨天交上的钱包有人来认领了吗？依据句意理解，则选项 A 符合题意。 答案：A 名师点金：claim 的用法 ⑴claim 作动词，意为“要求，声称，主张” ； ①claim for 要求，所取 ②claim that… 声称?? ③claim to do sth.要求做某事，声称做某事 ⑵claim 作名词，意为“要求，主张，断言” ； ①lay claim to…对??提出权利要求 ② claim that…（其后接同位语从句） There is no organization claiming responsibility for the Shanghai apartment fire. 尚未有任何组织声称对上海公寓楼大火负责任。 The government’s claim that the factory waste had killed the fish was correct. 政府对那家工厂的废水毒死了鱼的断言是正确的。 You can claim your money back if the goods are damaged. 货物有损，可以要求退钱。 原文对照：He claims to have seen a round black creature moving quickly through the water. 考点搜索 2：cover 的用法 【例 2】 （2010 山东）-Do you have enough to ________all your daily expenses? -Oh yes, enough and to spare. A. cover B. spend C. fill D. offer 解析：考查动词词义辨析：cover（指钱）够 某事之用；spend 花费；fill 填充；offer 提供； 句意：—你的钱足够你日常开支吗？ —当然了，足够且还有结余。依 据句意理解，则选项 A 符合题意。 答案：A 名师点金：cover 的用法 ⑴cover 作动词，常见意义如下： ①覆盖 ②包含，涉及 ③走完（一段路程） ④报道 ⑤占有??空间 ⑥（有足够钱）支付 ⑵cover 作名词，意为“封面” ； The mountain is covered with snow all the year round.这座山终年被积雪覆盖。 The lecture covers many aspects of business. 这次演讲涵盖了许多商业方面的内容。 We had to cover the last three miles on foot. 我们只好步行走完最后 3 英里路。 We will be covering the game on Saturday afternoon. 我们将于周六下午报道这场比赛。
原文对照：It is 2,189 meters high and covers an area of about ten square kilometers. 考点搜索 3：relate 的用法 【例 3】(2010 福建) -In this day and age, women can have children and jobs as well. -I can’t agree more. It’s great to have the two ______. A. linked B. related C. connected D. combined 解析：考查动词词义辨析：link 连接，联合（指连环式的连接，或用接合物或其它方式连接， 还可指一事物与另一事物的联系或关系） ； relate 有联系， 涉及 （指人与人有亲戚或婚烟关系， 也指人或物之间尚存的实际或假想的联系） ；connect 连接，联合（指两事物在某一点上相连 接，但彼此又保持独立） ；combine 结合（指两个或两个以上的人或物结合在一起） 。 答案：D 名师点金：relate/connect 的用法 ⑴relate 指人与人有亲戚或婚烟关系；也指人或物之间尚存的实际或假想的联系； ①be related to/with 与??有关系 ②relate to sb./sth.理解、同情某人（事） ③relate…to…与??有关系 ④relate sth. to sb. 向某人叙述，讲述 ⑵connect 指两事物在某一点上相连接，但彼此又保持独立； ①connect…to/with…与??相连/有关系； ②be connected to/with 与??相连/有关系； ⑶be related to = be connected with 意思相近，意为“与??有关” ； This kind of illness is related to sever stress. 这种病与严重的压力息息相关。 In the future, pay increase will be related to productivity. 以后，工资的增加将和业绩挂钩。 He related his traveling experience to the audience. 他叙述他的旅行经历给听众。 This essay relates to the economic situation of the world. 这篇文章涉及到世界的经济形势。 原文对照：Many people think the monster may be related to Nessie. 点金测评·创新训练 【基础巩固 全面训练】 Ⅰ.单词拼写 1. The man walked in the snow and left many f_________________ behind him. 2. Two thirds of the s_________________ of the earth is covered by water. 3. Our physics teacher has contributed many articles to technical j_________________ including Science. 4. It is a very f_________________ experience to find yourself followed by a tiger. 5. When the weather is fine and the lake is c_________________, we may go boating together. 6. As we all know, salt _________________ (存在) mostly in seawater. 7. The developmental history of the society tells us that man _________________ (进化) from the ape. 8. A number of species on the globe have been _________________ (灭绝的) every year. 9. Egypt, as the birthplace of ancient civilization, is a _________________ (神秘的) land. 10. On his way home, he was _________________ (袭击) by two strangers. 11. In Welsh, the red dragon on the flag is a positive symbol, i_________________ strength and a sense of national identity.
12. For nearly 400 years, there have been s_________________ of a strange creature living in Tianchi Lake. 13. I watched my brother until he d_________________ from sight in the distance. 14.I’m rather _________________ (怀疑的) about their so-called sympathy for the poor. 15.They are _________________ (不可能) to come since the weather is so bad. 16.His recent discoveries have added to his _________________ (声誉) in the field of science. Ⅱ.短语翻译 17.get close to ____________________________ 18.because of ____________________________ 19.look like ____________________________ 20.instead of ____________________________ 21.close up ____________________________ 22.be unlikely to do sth. ____________________________ 23.more than ____________________________ 24.be related to ____________________________ 25.in order to ____________________________ 26.die out ____________________________ 27.开门见山，直入本题 ____________________________ 28.阐明，照亮，提醒 ____________________________ 29.主张，支持 ____________________________ 30.与??有联系 ____________________________ 31.被允许做某事 ____________________________ 32.民族认同感 ____________________________ 33.由于；应归于 ____________________________ 34.产生于，戒除 ____________________________ 35.担心?? _ ___________________________ 36.一个好运的使者 ____________________________ Ⅲ.单项选择 37. One should keep _____ facing danger. A. quiet B. calm C. still D. silent 38. Attention, please, everybody! Please keep _______ for a moment while I take your photographs. A. still B. silent C. calm D. quiet 39. These toy bricks are _______ different sizes, shapes and colors, but they are exactly the same _________. A. in; in weights B. in; of weight C. of; in weight D. of; of weights 40. The bird came to the window; but I moved suddenly and _____ it away. A. afraid B. frightened C. scared D. forced 41. Dear sir, it is so generous _____ you to share your room and food ___ me. A. of; with B. for; with C. of; to D. for, to 42. Don’t be so ____ with the children. A. hard B. sharp C. fond D. kind 43. The swimmer ______ into the swimming pool from the diving-board. A. dived B. died C. divided D. diving
44. Look! The black clouds are gathering, which _____ that it will rain soon. A. indicates B. explodes C. claims D. thinks 45. It’s _______ to get a satisfying job in the competitive society, so each of us should value what we’ve got. A. nothing B. anything C. everything D. something Ⅳ.选词填空 exist come from extinct mysterious think about survive journal repeat more than arrange
46.I’m trying to ________________ a meeting with the sales director. 47.I need to________________ seriously ________________ their offer. 48.Mrs. Green didn’t realize there was a gap ________________ between her and her son. 49.There is something ________________ about the childhood of this famous writer. 50.Sadly, some of the species of birds are ________________ and we’ll no longer see them. 51.The doctor was reading the ________________ of Medical Science when a patient came in. 52.This program will be ________________ tonight on Channel 7. 53.We were ________________ ________________ glad to see him again. 54.She ________________ ________________ a remote village. 55.Just eight passengers ________________ the plane crash. 【综合应用 提高训练】 Ⅰ.根据汉语意思完成句子 1.他移居美国后孩子们很能适应变化。 When he moved to America, the children __________ __________ the change very well. 2.他不可能单独完成那项工作。 __________ __________ __________ __________ he can finish the work alone. 3. 许多古老的习俗逐渐地消失了。 Many old customs are gradually__________ __________. 4. 我们前几天参观的那个小镇占地 5 平方英里。 The town, which we visited the other day __________ __________ __________ __________ five square miles. 5. 一般说来，体育锻炼与健康有密切关系。 Generally speaking, taking exercise__________ closely__________ __________ health. 6. 他声称没有做这件事，可是我不相信他。(claim) _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ 7. 妈妈给那小男孩一些糖果，使他安静下来了。(calm) _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ 8. 我们一直看着火车消失在远处。 （disappear） _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ 9. 医生说病患已侵袭了那位男孩的骨胳。(attack) _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________
10. 这次严重的交通事故是由于高速驾驶而引起的。 （due to） _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ Ⅱ.单句改错 11. The sun was disappeared behind a cloud. 12. He looked very frightening as he spoke. 13. She dare not go out at night, does she? 14. The beast often gets angry and will attack anyone who goes closely to it. 15. If you are skeptical about something, you don’t really believe in it. 16. All his success, I think, due to his hard work. 17. This cake is very sweet. You must put a lot of sugar in it. 18. The low-temperature lake is not likely to support so large living creatures. 19. Elephants would die away if men were allowed to shoot as many as they wished. 20. We all agree that we should come straightly to the point. Ⅲ.完形填空 He must have been completely lost in something he was reading because I had to tap on the windshield to get his attention. “Is your taxi 21 ?” I asked when he finally looked 22 at me. He nodded, then said 23 as I settled into the back seat, “I'm sorry, but I was reading a 24 .” He 25 as if he had a cold . “I am not in a hurry,” I told him. “Go ahead and finish your letter.” He 26 his head. “I've read it several times already. I guess I 27 know it by heart.” “Letters from home always mean a lot,” I said. “From a child?” “This isn't 28 ,” he replied. “Although it 29 just as well have been family. Old Ed was my oldest friend. In fact, we used to call each other 'Old Friend' when we'd meet. I'm not much good at 130 .” “I don't think any of us keep 31 our correspondence (通信) too well,” I said. “I know I don't. But I take it he's someone you've 32 quite a while?” “All my life. We were kids together, went to school together and all the 33 through high school.” “There are not too many people who've had such a long friendship,” I said. “ 34 ,” the driver went on, “I hadn't seen him more than once or twice a year over the past 25 or 30 years because I 35 away from the old neighborhood and you kind of lose touch 36 you never forget.” “You said 'was'. Does that mean—?” He nodded. “ 37 a couple of weeks ago.” “I'm sorry,” I said. “It's no fun to lose any friend—and losing a real old one is 38 tougher.” He didn't 39 to that, and we rode on in silence for a few minutes. But I realized that Old Ed was still on his mind when he spoke again, almost more to himself than to me: “I should have kept in touch.” “Well,” I agreed, “we should all keep in touch with old friends more than we do. But things 40 and we just don't seem to find the time.” When I got to my hotel room I didn't unpack right away. First I had to write a letter and mail it. 21.A. available B. acceptable C. beneficial D. occupied 22. A. down B. up C. to D. off
23. A. unexpectedly 24. A. booklet 25. A. sounded 26. A. hung 27. A. anyhow 28. A. friendship 29. A. could 30. A. writing 31. A. up 32. A. found 33. A. curriculum 34. A. Eventually 35. A. removed 36. A. even though 37. A. Died 38. A. ever 39. A. appeal 40. A.take up Ⅳ.阅读理解 B. curiously B. novel B. spoke B. nodded B. hardly B. family B. might B. reading B. with B. written B. coincidence B. Actually B. left B. as though B. Suffered B. even B. reply B. pick up C. apologetically C. book C. seemed C. shook C. almost C. leadership C. maybe C. talking C. on C. known C. life C. Additionally C. headed C. when C. Choked C. fairly C. adapt C. come up D. definitely D. letter D. continued D. kept D. really D. colleague D. would D. earning D. in D. seen D. way D. Besides D. moved D. whereas D. Survived D. quite D. talk D. break up
A It was a village in India. The people were poor. However, they were not unhappy. After all, their forefathers had lived in the same way for centuries. Then one day. Some visitors from the city arrived. The told the villagers there were some people elsewhere who liked to eat frog’s legs. However, they did not have enough frogs of their own, and so they wanted to buy frogs from other place. This seemed like money for nothing. There were millions of frogs in the fields around, and they were no use to the villagers. All they had to do was catch them. Agreement was reached, and the children were sent into the fields to catch frogs. Every week a truck arrived to collect the catch and hand over the money. For the first time, the people were able to dream of a batter future. But the dream didn’t last long. The change was hardly noticed at first, but it seemed as if the crops were not doing so well. More worrying was that the children fell ill more often, and, there seemed to be more insects around lately. The villagers decided that they couldn’t just wait to see the crops failing and the children getting weak. They would have to use the money earned to buy pesticides(杀虫剂)and medicines. Soon there was no money left. Then the people realized what was happening. It was the frog. They hadn’t been useless. They had been doing an important job---eating insects. Now with so many frogs killed, the insects were increasing more rapidly. They were damaging the crops and spreading diseases. Now, the people are still poor. But in the evenings they sit in the village square and listen to sounds of insects and frogs. These sounds of the night now have a much deeper meaning. 41. From paragraph I we learn that the villagers __________. A. worked very hard for centuries B. dreamed of having a better life C. were poor but somewhat content D. lived a different life from their forefathers
42. Why did the villagers agree to sell frogs? __________ A. the frogs were easy money B. They needs money to buy medicine C. they wanted to pleas e the visitors D. the frogs made too much noise 43. What might be the cause of the children’s sickness? __________ A. the crops didn’t do well B. there were too many insects C. the visits brought in diseases D. the pesticides were overused 44. What can we infer from the last sentence of the text? __________ A. Happiness comes from peaceful life in the country B. Health is more important than money C. The harmony between man and nature is important D. good old day will never be forgotten B For years children in the industrial areas of Europe and America seldom left their smoky cities to see the beauties of the countryside. Not that the woods and fields were always far away, but they were too far from the city to permit people to make a round trip between morning and nightfall. What's more, factory workers did not have enough money to send their children on country holidays away from home. In 1907 a young German schoolmaster had an idea which changed this state of affairs. He decided to turn his little schoolhouse into a dormitory for the summer holidays. Anyone who brought his sleeping bag and cooking equipment along could stay there for a very small amount of money. The idea was a success. A few years later the schoolhouse was far too small to hold so many young people who wanted to stay there. So, a dormitory was set up in an old castle nearby. This was the first Youth Hostel. Today young students and workers of every country can meet in the hostels and get to know each other. Some spend a week or more in the same hostel, seeing the surrounding sights and meeting the people of the area. Other youths go on foot or by bicycle from place to place, spending a night or two in one hostel, and then going to the next. Sometimes an informal program will be organized after the meal, with dances, songs, or short talks followed by a question period. One can ______________ about other places, just by meeting people who come from these places. For this reason, a few weeks spent "hostelling" can be just as useful a part of one's education as classes in school. 45. Translate the underlined sentence in paragraph 1 into Chinese. _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ 46. What does p aragraph 2 mainly tell us? (Please answer within10 words.) _______________________________________________________________________________ 47. Which sentence in the text is the closest in meaning to the following one? Some youths stay in a hostel for several days, during which period they go sightseeing and visit the local people. _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ 48. Fill in the blank in the 4th paragraph with proper words to complete the sentence. (Please answer within 7 words)
_______________________________________________________________________________ 49. List 3 of the advantages of hostelling according to the text. (Please answer within 15 words.) _______________________________________________________________________________ Section Ⅱ Grammar & Writing 考点搜索 1：may/might 的用法 【例 1】(2010 四川)- ______I take the book out? -I'm afraid not. A. Will B. May C. Must D. Need 解析：本题目考查情态动词：表示“请求对方的允许时” ，常用 may 或 can。句意：—我可 以把书带出去吗？—恐怕不能。依据句意理解，则选项 B 符合题意。 答案：B 【例 2】 （2009 辽宁）The traffic is heavy these days. I_________ arrive a bit late, so could you save me a place? A can B must C need D might 解析：本题目考查情态动词：might 往往表示较小的可能性，符合题意。can 能，会；must 必须，一定；need 需要。句意：最近几天，交通比较拥堵。我有可能会迟到一会儿，因此 请你给我留个位子好吗？ 答案：D 【例 3】What a pity! Considering his ability and experience, he ________ better. A. need have done B. must have done C. can have done D. might have done 解析：考查情态动词的用法：might have + 过去分词，表示“过去可能做了某事” ，符合题 意。must have + 过去分词，表示“过去一定做了某事” ；need have + 过去分词，表示“本 需要做某事” （而实际上未做） ； can have + 过去分词， 多用于否定句或疑问句中， 也表示 “过 去一定做了某事” 。句意：多可惜！考虑到他的能力和经验，他本可能做得更好。 答案：D 名师点金：may/might 的用法 ⑴may 表示“允许，可以”，相当于 be allowed to do sth.； ⑵may / might as well + 动词原形，表示“不妨??,还是??的为好”； ⑶may well +动词原形，意思是“很可能，极有可能”（表示推测） ⑷might 表示“或许，可能”，语气比 may 要弱； ⑸对 may 一般疑问句的回答： ① 肯定句： may / yes, please/certainly/surely/of course. ② 否定句： can’t / may not / mustn’t / had better not ； ⑹may/might have+过去分词，表示“或许可能已经做过某事”； ⑺“may+动词原形”，表示“祝愿”、“但愿”。may 须置于句首。 Liza may well not want to go on the trip-she hates traveling. 莉莎极有可能不想去旅行—她讨厌旅行 Although this may sound like a simple task, great care is needed. 尽管这听起来可能像一项简单的任务，但是需要非常仔细。 原文对照： The dinosaurs may have stopped evolving, and been unable to adapt to changes in the climate. 考点搜索 2：likely 的用法 【例 2】(2010 陕西) Studies show that people are more ______to suffer from back problems if they always sit before computer screens for long hours.
A. likely B. possible C. probable D. sure 解析：本题目考查 “ 可能性 ” 的形容词辨析：①It is likely/possible/probable that… ；②It is likely/possible/probable for sb. to do sth.；③sb./sth. be likely to do sth.；句意：研究表明如果总 是长时间地坐在电脑屏幕前， 人们的背部很有可能会出现毛病。 依据句意理解以及如上①② ③所述，故选择 A 项。 答案：A 名师点金：likely/possible/probable/maybe/perhaps 用法 ⑴possible/probable adj.可能的； ①It is possible/probable that…做某事是可能的； ②It is possible/probable for sb. to do sth.对某人而言，做某事是可能的； I suppose it’s possible that she didn’t know her husband’ car accident 我想她是有可能还不知道，她的丈夫出车祸了。 It is possible to see as far as Corsica on a clear day. 天气晴朗时，甚至有可能看到科西嘉岛那么远的地方。 ⑵likely adj.很可能的，有希望的； adv.很可能，大概<通常与 most, very 连用>； ①It is likely that 很可能??； It's likely that we will be late.我们可能会迟到。 ②sb./sth. be likely to do sth. 某人或某物有可能会做某事； The weather is likely to get worse.看来天气可能会变得更糟。 He is not likely to come. 他不见得会来。 ③It is likely for sb. to do sth.对某人而言，做某事是可能的； ④Not likely.不大可能。 -Will you come to the theatre tomorrow? -Not likely. —明天你去看戏吗？ —不大可能去! ⑶maybe/perhaps perhaps 与 maybe 意思一样，均作副词讲，意为“也许，大概，可能”，但 maybe 随便一些， 不够庄重； ⑷表示“可能”的其它句式： ①There is a possibility that…有可能??； ②There is no possibility that…没可能??； ③There is a good chance that…很有可能??； ⑸记忆要点： ①probable 表达“可能性很大”； ②possible 表达“可能性较小”； ③possible/probable 表示“可能的”，常用在以 it 为形式主语的句型中； ④likely 表示“从表面迹象判断某人或某事的可能性”；likely 表示“很可能的”，可以由“人或 事物”作主语或者“由 it 作形式主语”； likely 作形容词， 可作定语也可作表语； likely 作副词， 意为“可能地”； ⑤maybe 或 perhaps 均为副词，常用于句首；maybe 多用于口语中； 原文对照：I think it is the most likely explanation.
点金测评·创新训练 【基础巩固 全面训练】 Ⅰ.单项选择 1. Listen! There’s a lot of noise from next door. They _______ a party. A. could have had B must be having C. should have had D. can be having 2. I_______ have been more than six years old when the accident happened. (2005 天津) A. shouldn’t B. couldn’t C. mustn’t D. needn’t 3.-Excuse me, is this building the city library? -Sorry, I’m not sure. But it_______ be. A. can B. must C. might D. will 4.- Were all the passengers in the bus injured in the accident? - _______ only four who got hurt. A. No, there are B. Yes, there were C. No, there were D. Yes, it is 5. There_______ many people_______ in the office, but now nobody is allowed to. A. used to be; smoking B. used to have; smoking C. used to be; smoke D. used to have; smoke 6 Suddenly, a tall man driving a golden carriage_______ the girl and took her away, _______ into the woods. A. seizing; disappeared B. seized; disappeared C. seizing; disappearing D. seized; disappearing Ⅱ.完成句子 A. die out B. go for C. come straight to the point D. quite something E. almost overnight F. throw light on G. back in the news A: Is there anything interesting in today’s Evening Paper? B: Yes, the protection of cultural relics is ___7________. A: Oh, What’s that? Please___8________. B: OK, You know, Zhoukoudian has been listed as a world heritage site, but it is in danger now. A: What happened? Please tell me more to ___9________ the problem. A: Well, some of the caves where primitive men lived thousands of years ago have been badly damaged by rain and exposed to the air. B: I see. It is ___10_______. We should really do something. Shall we organize a volunteer team? A: Good, I’d ___11________your plan. Say it in detail. 【综合应用 提高训练】 Ⅰ.选词填空 cause detail choose invent survive ordinary share describe extraordinary check
1.He tried his best to _______________ what he had witnessed. 2.She _______________ her husband by 10 years. 3.Bad weather continues to _______________ problems for travelers. 4.Who _______________ the first color television? 5.The old man's property was _______________ betwee n his two sons. 6.He was regarded as an _______________ leader. 7.She refused to give any _______________ about what had happened.
8.You should have your sight _______________ regularly in the hospital. 9.You can _______________ from a wide range of means of transportation from Shanghai to Hangzhou. 10.What kind of telegram will be sent, _______________ or urgent? Ⅱ.词语辨析 11.cut off/cut up/cut down/cut away ①He managed to _________ the shopkeeper _________ to $50 for the coat. ②You have to _________ _________ the dead branches from that tree. ③The village was _________ _________ by the heavy snow for two weeks. ④She _________ _________ the carrots and put them in the pot. 12.die out/die away/die off/die down ①As he grew older, his relatives all _________ _________. ②The wild population of koalas is in danger of _________ _________. ③His anger has _________ _________ a bit. ④The sound of the car died away in the distance. ⑤Many old customs are _________ _________. 13.go for/go with/go without ①It is possible to _________ _________ food for a few days. ②Do you think this shirt will _________ _________ the skirt I bought? ③He would like to _________ _________ a walk with Mary. 14.may/can/need ①They _________ have been punished so severely, after all it is a small fault. ②The police are doing all they _________ to find her. ③You _________ as well tell us now - we'll find it out sooner or later. ④Plants _________ light in order to survive. 15. must/have to /ought to ①First of all you _________ _________ mix the milk and the butter when making cheese. ②All passengers_________ wear seat belts. ③He left two hours ago, so he _________ _________ be there by now. ④If you _________ smoke, please go outside. ⑤I _________ _________ go home because it is dark. Ⅲ.书面表达 假如你是李华，住在江城。你的加拿大笔友 Bob 来信谈到了他所居住的城市，并希望了解 你家乡江城的情况。请你用英语写一封回信。回信须包括下表中的内容。 ⑴自然情况：位于长江边、风景优美、适合居住 ⑵成就：①经济发展迅速②新建了不少工厂、住房、道路等。 ⑶存在问题：①水、空气污:②交通拥挤 ⑷对江城发展的看法：?? ⑵注意：①回信中不能使用“江城”以外的地名。 ②词数 100 左右。信的开头与结尾已为你写好，不计入词数。 ③参考词汇：经济 economy n. Dear Bob， It's very kind of you to write me and let me know about your beautiful city. Now I’d like to tell you something about my hometown Jiangcheng.
_______________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ I am looking forward to hearing from you soon. Yours, Lihua Section Ⅲ Cultural Corner 知识整合·能力聚焦 考点搜索 1：due 的用法 【例 1】(2010 江苏) So far we have done a lot to build a low-carbon economy, but it is________ ideal. We have to work still harder. A. next to B. far from C. out of D. due to 解析：考查短语辨析：far from 意为“远非，决不，一点儿也不” ； next to 其次，紧挨着； due to 因为，由于；out of 缺乏，由于。句意：目前为止，我们已经为建立低碳型经济做了 很多，但这绝非理想状态。我们还需努力去做。依据句意理解与语境分析，则选项 B 符合 题意。 答案：B 名师点金：due 的用法 ⑴表示“到期的、应付(给)的、到期应付的”或“预定的、约定的、预定要到达或发生的” ， 通常只用作表语； ①表示应付给或应给予某人，通常与介词 to 连用； ②其后可接不定式。 The bill is due.这张票据已到期。
My salary is due tomorrow.我明天领薪。 A great deal of money is due to you.要付给你一大笔钱。 Respect is due to older people.年长者应受到尊重。 Our grateful thanks are due to you.我们衷心感谢你。 I’m due for a pay rise soon.我不久就要加薪了。 The guests are due to arrive very soon.客人很快就会到。 The meeting isn’t due to start until four.会议预定要到四点才召开。 ⑵表示“适当的、合适的、应得的” ，通常只放在名词前作定语。 We should pay due attention to this pro blem.我们应对这个问题给予适当的注意。 You must put these things in due order.你必须把这些东西按适当的顺序放好。 ⑶due to 意为“因为，由于” ， 相当于 because of, as a result of。 He was late due to the very heavy traffic.由于交通拥挤他迟到了。 ⑷常见同义词组汇总： ①thanks to 幸亏，由于； ②owing to 由于，因为； ③as a result of = on account of = because of 由于，因为 原文对照：Some experts believe it is due to the animals the myths grew out of. 考点搜索 2：sign 的用法 【例 2】The teacher ________ us ________ our names on the test papers. A. signed ; sign B. signed ; to signing C. signed ; to sig n D. signed ; signing 解析：考查 sign 的用法：sign sb. to do sth. 示意某人来做某事；sign one’s name 签名字。句 意：老师示意我们在测试卷上签上名字。依据句意理解，则选项 C 符合题意。 答案：C 名师点金：sign/signal/symbol 的用法 ⑴sign 作动词，意为“签名，做手势” ；作名词，意为“符号，记号；迹象，征兆” ； ①sign sb. to do sth. 示意某人来做某事 ②sign one’s name 签名字 ③make/give a sign to…对??做手势，向??示意 There is no sign of life on the moon. 月球上没有生命的迹象。 He gave me a sign to come in. 他示意我进去。 The artist signed his name on the picture. 艺术家把名字签在了这幅画上。 The teacher signed him to go out. 老师示意他出去。 ⑵signal 作名词，意为“信号，暗号” ； There were strong signals that she intended to resign. 有很明显的征兆显示她打算辞职。 We waited for them to give us the signal to move. 我们等待他们发给我们行动的信号。 ⑶symbol 作名词，意为“象征，符号” ； The dove is a symbol of peace. 鸽子是和平的象征。 原文对照：But in China, the idea of the dragon may have come from the alligator-a shy animal which lives in rivers, but which is usually only seen when there is plenty of water-a good sign for agriculture. 点金测评·创新训练 【基础巩固 全面训练】 Ⅰ.单词拼写、 1. He was highly i______________, but disliked studying.
2.It is 2,189 meters high and c______________ an area of about ten s_____________ kilometers. 3.I saw an old lady with______________ (灰白的)hair get on the bus. 4.We are warned that if we continue to destroy the environment，many more animals and p lants will become e______________. 5. Their dog was so f______________ that no one dared come near. 6.A red sky at night______________ (暗示；表明)that the following day will be fine. 7. The flag is a s______________ of the state, representing the supreme honor. 8.Your company enjoys a good______________ (名声)in this field. I’ve heard that you take care of your employees and offer good salaries. 9.He______________ (声称)he won the horse race，though the video showed otherwise. 10.He has much money and doesn’t care about it too much, so he often______________ (慷慨 地)gives some to the poor to help them out. Ⅱ.单项选择 11.-Will you go to the cinema with me this evening? -I’d love to, but I have________ work to do this evening. A. too many B. too much C. much too D. far too 12.-I didn’t go to the party yesterday because my car broke down. -You________ mine. I wasn’t using it. A. ought to borrow B. would have borrowed C. had better borrow D. could have borrowed 13.-My God, I’m getting late again. What will my boss say? -Try to keep________, and we’ll think of a good excuse. A. still B. calm C. quiet D. alive 14.-What did he die________？ -He died________ hunger. A. of ;from B. from; of C. from ; from D. of ; of 15.Research findings show we spend about two hours dreaming every night, no matter what we________ during the day. A. may be doing B. could have done C. must have done D. might have done 16.The newcomers found it impossible to________ themselves to the climate sufficiently to make permanent homes in the new country. A. suit B. adapt C. fit D. match 17.The article attacked the government ________its policy ________ education. A. on ; for B. for ; on C. with ; of D. of ; with 18.________ no point in beating around the bush. Let’s________. A. It’s；come straight to the point B. There’s；come to the point C. This is；get to the point D. That is；reach the point Ⅲ.用所给词的正确形式填空 19.The local people were very _______________（friend）towards us. 20.The weather in Britain is quite _______________（predict）. 21. The Northern Ireland economy is _______________（close）link ed to that of the rest of the United Kingdom. 22.The _______________（popular）of professional sports has been increasing steadily. 23.Maria had spirit and _______________（intelligent）as well as beauty.
24.We don’t know whether these chemicals are _______________（danger）to humans. 25.I don't have the _______________（strong）to walk any further. 26.The conditions they are living in are beyond _______________（believe）. 27.She has a _______________（nature）talent for playing the piano. 28.There was no evidence then to _______________（connection）smoking and lung cancer. 29.I had the good _______________（fortunate）to be invited to the banquet. 30. The floods brought death and _______________（destroy）to the area. 【综合应用 提高训练】 Ⅰ.根据汉语提示完成句子 1.对于这个男子来说，这活儿太难做了。(too much) _______________________________________________________________________________ 2.这种老虎在这个国家已经绝迹了。(die out) _______________________________________________________________________________ 3.当你到一个新的国家时，你必须使自己适应新的风俗习惯。(adapt) _______________________________________________________________________________ 4.我正要走的时候，电话铃响了。(on the point of) _______________________________________________________________________________ 5.他可能还没有完成那项工作。(may not have) _______________________________________________________________________________ Ⅱ. 选词填空 be connected to indicate due to quite something destruction fierce unpredictable reputation exist generous positive identity,
6.-Tom got the first prize in the English competition. -It’s_______________. He had never do ne better. 7. That lonely old man was suspected_______________ the crime. 8. He is very_______________ - he often buys things for other people. 9. He had lost his_______________ card and was being questioned by the police. 10. The sudden tidal wave caused great_______________ to the town. 11. They managed to arrive at the foot of the mountain_______________ the help of the local people. 12. He disagreed with what I said at the meeting, which was_______________. 13. Don’t get close to it; it will attack you for it is a_______________ animal. 14. Her mother_______________ what we should do first before we began. 15. He has a_______________ for honesty, so the leaders all believe in him. Ⅲ.短文改错 Dear Alice, I have just got some good mews to tell to you. 16. _________________ I win a national prize for painting last week. 17. _________________ My father was so pleasing that he suggested 18. _________________ I go to England for a holiday. I’d like to staying 19. _________________ there for half a month, visiting place of interest 20. _________________ or practicing my English as well. We’ve been 21. _________________ writing to each for nearly a year now. I have 22. _________________ often dreamed of talk face to with you. 23. _________________
I imagine you’ll be at vacation yourself by that 24. _________________ time. Perhaps we could go out to do some 25. _________________ sightseeing together. Best, Lily Ⅳ.对话填空 （K=Kathy M=Mum） M: Kathy, have you decided what you’re going to do in the vacation? K: I need to e____26____ some money. I’d try to find a job looking after children. What do you think, mum? M: It’s not an easy job and you don’t have any particular k___27____ about children. Some children could be noisy and badly b____28_______. Do you have any other ideas? K: Not r____29____. I don’t think much of the jobs I’ve seen a____30_____. (A week later) M: Kathy, are you still looking for a children job? K: No, Mum. I m___31____ to tell you earlier. I’ve been offered a job in the office of the local computer factory and it’s well paid. I’ve decided to take it and will s_____32___ on Monday. M: Good! Tell me more d____33____ about the job. K: I will work as a s____34____, typing letters, answering phones calls and so on. M: Some people may find it busy and b____35____, and you need to be patient and careful. K: Thank you, Mum. I’ll try my best.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。