外研版 高二年级(选修6) Module 6
Reading and vocabulary D-Day+2
Para1. find the following phrases.
1.另我们感到惊讶的是 to our astonishment 2.机密命令 3.看到我们的 很多战友被杀 4.发现我
see many of my friends killed find ourselves outside a peaceful village
late afternoon 1.傍晚 the sun was setting 2.太阳正在落山 a perfect country 3.一副完美的乡村景色 scene to advance and 4.前去搜查村子 check the village 5.驶出 drive out of 6.又两个人 two more take off 7.摘下，脱下 put down 8.放下 shake hands 9.握手
abandon the village
go back to
have a magnificent 3.留着漂亮的胡子 moustache 4.定型 keep in shape
fill … with
take out… from
lay a table
11.为…干杯 12.吐出 13.作为…回报 14.当成…对待
spit out In return treat sb like
Look at title and describe the photo and the feelings of the people you can see. 1. What do you think of the title of the passage means? 2. What are people in the photo doing? 3. Do you think this photo has anything to do with D-Day?
Fast-reading: choose the best answers.
Read the passage and choose the best answer. 1.The writer is _____. (a) a German soldier (b) a French villager
(c) an American soldier
(d) a British soldier
2. When the author and his companions entered the village, they hesitated because _______. A. many of their friends were killed by the enemy B. there might still have been enemy soldiers B C. the enemy had abandoned the village D. the rest of their company hadn’t arrived
3. According to the text, what made the author and his companions feel astonished? A.Receiving the confidential orders to join the D-Day landings troops. B. Five men with guns gathering around them. C. Some women appearing and kissing them D in the village. D. Finding themselves outside a peaceful village in France.
4. In the text, “He ... gave me the best shave I had had in years” means that _______. A. the barber was expert in shaving for customers B. without the tools, the author couldn’t shave by himself C. because of the war, the author didn’t C shave for a long time D. the author had no money to have a shave
Read the text again and answer the following questions. 1. What’s the main idea of the first paragraph? (within 15 words) We were surprised that we found ourselves outside a peaceful village in France.
2. What’s the meaning of the word “magnificent”? (within 3 words) Very beautiful. 3. Why did some soldiers spit the wine out? (within 10 words)
They had never tasted wine before. 4. Translate the first sentence of Paragraph 2 into Chinese.
傍晚时分, 夕阳照耀在农舍、主街道、商铺、 车库和教堂上面, 形成了一幅完美的乡村美景。
Activity5 . Choose the correct answers ashamed barbershop constitution cheers liberation vinegar worthwhile
1. A barbershop is the usual place___. (a) for women to have a haircut (b) for men to have a haircut and a shave (c) for people to buy things like soap, perfume, tooth paste etc. (d) for people to go when they first arrive in a French village
2. The soldier was ashamed to admit that he was too young to have a girlfriend because___. (a) he wanted a girlfriend, but didn’t have one (b) the villagers treated the soldiers as heroes (c) he hoped to find a French girlfriend at home
3. They said “cheers!” and drank to liberation and to the French constitution in order to___. (a) show they hoped the villagers would soon be free and in good health (b) thank the villagers for the food and for their welcome (c) celebrate freedom and the return to power of the French government (d) introduce the rest of the company to the villagers
4. Some of the soldiers thought the wine was vinegar because___. (a) it’s traditional to spit it out
(b) they had drunk too much
(c) it didn’t come out of a wine bottle
(d) they hadn’t tasted wine before
5. He thought the fear and danger was worthwhile because___. (a) he would remember this special day (b) Many of friends had died (c) the villagers were very grateful to them (d) it reminded him that some friends had died
Activity4 . Answer the questions with the words in the box.
baggage bedding comb mess yell confidential perfume razor tractor scissors shave (v) stockings
1. How many people knew about the orders
to join the D-Day landings?
Only a few because they were confidential.
2. What kind of state is the beach likely to be in
after the landings?
In a mess
3. What kind of vehicle do you often see on or near farms? tractors 4 . How do you speak when you see danger and want to give a warning? yell
5. What do men without beards do to their faces every day or so? What do these men use to do this? shave/ a razor 6. What tools do you need to use to cut hair and make it look tidy? scissors
7. What things did the soldiers bring with them for their personal possessions and to be able to rest? baggage and bedding stocking 8. What do women often wear on their legs? 9. What do women often like to wear to smell nice? perfume
1. to one’s astonishment=to the astonishment of sb 令人惊讶的是……. To my astonishment, she remembered my name.
=To the astonishment of me, she remembered my name. 是我万分惊讶的是，她竟记得我的名字。
to one’s surprise/disappointment /horror/joy/excitement 使某人吃惊/失望/惊恐/ 高兴/兴奋的是
2.confidential adj. 保密的；秘密的;隐 秘的= secret
keep…confidential 保守…的秘密. Eg. Doctors are required to keep patients’ records completely confidential. 医生必 须对病人的病历完全保密. confidential information/documents机密情 报/文件 He spoke in a confidential tone. 他低声用隐秘的语气说话
3.advance v. 进展，前进，靠近，提前
Eg. The soldiers advanced on/towards the enemy. The date of the meeting was advanced by in advance 在前头，预先，事先=ahead of3 days. time You must pay for the car in advance. in advance of 在……前面；比……进步；超过 I graduated in advance of you. 我比你先毕业。
4. unload v 卸下 反义词：load n/v vt. 1) 装,装载 (+with)
The workers are loading the ship
2) 使摆满;使充满;使长满 (+with)
The air was loaded with soot.
n. 1) 负担、重量，装载的东西 c.n He was bent down with his load. 2) (精神方面的)负担;压力 The good news has taken a load off my mind. 去掉思想负担 3) 装载量（可以译成一车或一船...） The truck was carrying a load of sand. 卡车装运一车沙子。
5. worthwhile adj. 值得做的，有价值的。
The smile on her face made it all worthwhile. 她脸上的笑容使得这一切非常值得。 It is worthwhile doing/to do sth It is worthwhile _____an appointment before you go.你去之前预约一下是值得的。 A. to make B. making C. make D. both A and B Key：D
be worth sth/doing
be worthy of sth/being done
be worthy to be done
it’s worthwhile to do/doing sth
copyright ©right 2010-2020。