Unit19 lesson1 English Learning
1. How long have you been studying English? 2. Is it easy to learn English well? By what ways do you think can improve your English?<
br />3. Why do we learn English? Is it important for us to learn English?
We can improve our English by :
Learning the words in a dictionary Watching TV in the language Listening to the music in the language
Learning form the foreign teachers
First reading The whole structure of the passage.
1st para. : 2nd para. and 3rd para. :
4th papa. to the last:
How can we learn it well in terms of theory?
Why do we need to learn English? Some practical suggestions
Read the text and answer the following questions.
1. What has made more and more people decide to learn English in recent years ? 2. According to some theories, what is the best way to learn a foreign language? 3. How can teachers try to create a rich language environment in the classroom? 4. What extra work can you do outside of the classroom?
1. What has made more and more
people decide to learn English in recent years ? The growth of international companies and the great advances in communications have started the trend for learning English.
2. According to some theories, what is
the best way to learn a foreign
English learners must be surrounded
by the language environment.
3. How can teachers try to create a rich language environment in the classroom? Teachers must make sure that there is an adequate amount of input in the foreign language conveyed to students through various mediums.
4. What extra work can you do outside of the classroom? You can learn 10 new words a day, listen to English songs, watch the news in your own language and then read an English newspaper, watch DVDs, and study with friends.
The third reading
Read the text again and decide whether the statements are true or false 1. Experts recommend doing 2 hours of extra work once a week. times can help you revise new
2. Listening to an English song several vocabulary.
3. There is no point reading the news in
English if you have already watched it
in your own language.
4. Watching your favorite DVD in
English will improve your listening
Blank-filling after the third reading.
Many people ________ in the 1700s predicted that English would __________ be the global languages one day, which proved to be the case. With the ______ growing international companies and the great advances in communications, more and more people tend to learn ____ English as the second language.
And the fact is that speaking more than one language make you stand out/outstanding ____________________. People have realized that in the _______ of the native language absence environment, people can not learn it well. In _____ words, you have to be other __________ by the language. surrounded
Sadly, most of the English learners can not live in the native country, which means we can only depend on our school resources. So teachers have to _________ rich guarantee language _____, which can be ________ input conveyed to students through various mediums. _______ Since extra-curricula work may
_________ language learning, here are accelerate
some suggestions to English learners:
setting ________ targets; listening workable
English songs; watching English DVD;
Studying with your friends; and
rewarding yourself. Please remember to
____ keep dedicated
1. It was predicted as early as the 10700s that English would one day be the global language and that has proved to be the case in the last few decades. 早在18世纪人们就预言英语有一天会成为全球性语言， 而这一预言在过去的几十年中已经得到了证实。 It was predicted…that…这是一个固定句型，it 为形 式主语，真正的主语是that后的从句，该结构常译为： “据预言……。”这种结构常可以替换如：said, reported, predicted ? It is predicted that there will be more serious natural destroy the environment. ? It is said that he was clever at maths even when he was very young.
2. case 情况,实情，事例 in that case 如果那样的话 I am sure that he will say hello to you. In that case, will you feel embarrassed? in case 万一
Please take this umbrella with you in
case of rain.
3. In today’s world, being able to speak more than one language, including English, is how you stand out and get ahead. 当今世界，要想取得令人瞩目的成就，就要会讲 至少两种语言，包括英语。 ? Being able to speak more than one language 是动 词ing 形式短语，在句子中作主语。动词的ing形 式可以像名词一样充当句子的主语。 ? Being late for school is one of Jim’s bad habits. ? Studying abroad is very difficult in the first few months. ? Traveling far above the clouds in an aeroplane is a pleasant experience.
4. stand out 鹤立鸡群
Tom stands out in our class because he
always gets the first in math test.
? ? ? ?
They stood out till victory. 他们坚持到胜利。 stand for 支持，袖手旁观，准备行动 stand in stand up 暂时代替 站起，起立；耐用
5. But sadly, the chances that we will all have the opportunity to live in an English speaking country are small. 很遗憾的是，很少有人有机会生活在讲英语的国家。 ? the chances that we will all have the opportunity to live in an English speaking country are small.是 that引导的同位语从句,that 引导同位语从句时，在 从句中只起连接作用，不作任何成分，但不能省 略。 ? There is a good chance that she will be released without being charged. ? The news that our team won the football match was encouraging. ks5u精品课件
6. The chances that …are small. ……的可能性很小。 The chances that he will be late are quite small. 他迟到的可能性很小。 The chances that parents don’t like their children are extremely small.
7. Therefore, most of us have to rely on what we can learn at school as part of the school curriculum.
? 因此学习外语，大部分人还是得靠学校的语言 课程来。 ? what we can learn at school as part of the school curriculum是一个由连接代词what引导的宾语从 句，what在从句中作宾语，意为“。。。的东西” ? I am asking you for what made you so crazy? ? Are you satisfied with what the boss said that just now.
5. Quality input ensures quality output, whether it is speaking or writing.
? 高质量的输入信息才能保证学生高质量的语言输 出，不管是说还是写。 ? whether is speaking or writing.是whether...or… 引导的让步状语从句，意为“不管，不顾” ? I am sure we’ll see each other again soon, whether here or in Shanghai. ? 不管在这儿还是在上海，肯定我们很快又会见面 的。
?7. inform sb. of/about/ sth./that
(1). Vt. give information or knowledge; tell 通知，告知， 报告 ? I informed his wife of his safe arrival. ? He informed her he was thinking of entering medical school. ? Keep me informed of/about what happens. inform sb of/about 或 inform sb +从句 (2). Vi. give evidence or make an accusation against 告发 或检举某人 ? He informed against the drug dealer. ? I’m amazed to hear that she was the one who informed on her husband.
8. stay dedicated 保持专心致志
stay 为连系动词，意为：保持、维持，和形容词 或分词连用 ? She always stays dedicated to her work。 ? 她对工作总是专心致志 ? He is a kind of player who always manages to stay cool, even under pressure 。 ? 他是一名即使在压力下也总是能保持头脑冷静 的球员。 ? Just try to stay focused on your own goals right now。 ks5u精品课件 ? 眼下，要努力专注自己的目标。
9. hold the key to 。。。的关键
The weather holds the key to our success or failure. 10. worth, worthy & worthwhile Worth 用作形容词，意思是“值得的”，表示 “价值多少”时，后接价值数量词，表示“值得” 时，后接名词、代词或动词ing形式，worth 在句 中作表语时，不能单独使用，通常可用作well来修 饰，而不用very. ? This necklace is worth $ 1,000. 这条项链值一千美元。 ? That novel is not worth reading. 那本小说不值得一看。 ? The exhibition is well worth a visit.
Worthy 作形容词，意思是“陪得上的，值得的”， 在句中可作表语和定语。作表语时，不能单独使 用，后面要接of ，再接名词或ing的被动形势，也 可以在worthy 后面直接接动词不定式。作定语时， 意思是“可尊敬的，可信赖的，有价值的”。 ? The place is worthy of a visit. ? This novel is not worthy of being read. ? The scheme is worthy to be considered. ? The worthy gentleman couldn’t even tell wheat from barley. ? 那位可敬的先生连大麦和小麦都分不清。
Worthwhile 意思是“值得的”，可以单独用 作表语。通常可用在it is worthwhile 句型中， 后面可接动名词，也可接动词不定式。 ? I don’t think it is worthwhile. ? It is worthwhile discussing/ to discuss the question.
Grammar--- Noun Clauses
It was predicted as early as the 1700s that English would one day be the global
To chances that we will all have the
opportunity to live in an Englishspeaking country are small.
What this means is that they make sure
there is an adequate amount of input in English.
Experts say that just 15 minutes of extra-curricula study a day can really accelerate foreign language learning.
名词性从句包括: 主语从句、宾语从句、 表语从句、同位语从句, 多由连词that, wh-疑问词或由whatever等关系代词引 导, 其中同位语从句最常见。
连接代词 who, whom, whose, which, what, whatever
连接副词 how, why, when, where however, wherever 连接词 that, whether, if, because as if /as though（不充当 从句的任何成分）
主语从句在句子中充当主语, 句子的谓 语动词用第三人称单数。 Why he refused to work with you is still a mystery. Whoever comes is welcome. That he is still alive is surprising. Who will win the match is still unknown.
What he wants to tell us is not clear. Where the party will be held has not yet been announced. Whoever breaks the rules will be punished.
接作用, 有时为了保持句子平衡, that从
That he became a lawyer may have been due to his mother’s influence. It is not true that he has moved to New York.
其他类似句型还有： It + be +important/ necessary/ obvious + that从句 It + be +reported/believed/thought/has been decided + that从句 It + be +a pity/a shame/a fact/a surprise/ common knowledge+ that从句 It + happens/occurs/seems/appears + that 从句
宾语从句在句子中充当宾语, 从句用 陈述句语序,一般放在及物动词或介词 之后。 I don’t know where the sound came from. Don't be satisfied with what you have achieved.
He has told me (that) he will go to
He told me (that) he was ill and that
he couldn’t come.
command, order, suggest, advise, insist, desire, demand, beg, require, request等动词如果后面加上宾语从句的 话, 从句谓语部分必须用should do。 I insist that she (should) do her work alone. The commander ordered that troops (should) set off at once.
介词+ it +从句 主语+谓语
it +adj. +从句
it + 介词短语 +从句
I hate it when people speak with their mouths full. I’ll see to (保证) it that everything is ready in time. He made it clear that he would leave office soon. We must bear it in mind that we are Chinese.
Bear in mind that you‘ll have to
practice economy. 记住要厉行节约。
We thought it a pity that he failed
当从句放在系动词be, look, remain, seem等后即构成表语从句。 其基本结构为: 主语 + 系动词 + that 从句。 The trouble is that I have lost his address. It seemed that the night would never end.
The fact is that we have lost the game. That’s just what I want. This is where our problem lies.
That is why he didn’t come to the
It looks as if it is going to rain.
见名词有: idea, fact, news, belief, hope,
evidence, opinion, problem, truth,
answer, proposal, theory, decision,
discovery, problem, thought,
The news that we won the game is exciting. I have no idea when he will come back home. Word came to him that Mary had probably fallen ill. They are investigating the question whether the man is trustworthy.
The fact that we talked about is very
The fact that he succeeded in the
experiment pleased everybody.
if 一般只用于引导宾语从句，而whether 可引导包括宾语从句在内的其他名词性
Whether he will attend the meeting is uncertain. The question is whether he will come. 宾语从句中, whether常与 or not搭配, 可以说whether or not, 而不说if or not.
I don' t care whether or not she will
attend the meeting.
She doesn’t know whether to get
married now or wait.
I haven’t settled the question of whether I’11 go back home.
whether, 不用if。 We discussed whether we should go on climbing.
1. It now appears ___ they are in need of
C. what D. how
2. It is good news ___ they will arrive in a few days. A. which B. what
C. that D. how
3. It _____ Joe drives badly. A. thought that B. thinks that
C. is thought that D. is thought that
4. My advice is that he ____ regular
A. keep B. would keep
5. ____ knows the truth will tell you
about it. A. Who that B. Whoever C. Whom that D. That who 6. This is ______ she was born. A. where B. which C. that D. what
7. The question is ___ we can’t go there today. A. that B. what C. which D. when 8. The question is ____ it is worth doing.
B. whether C. which D. what
9. The reason is __ he has never wasted
A. because B. why C. that D. what
10. His proposal is that the dam __ at the foot of the mountain. A. build C. be built B. will build D. will be built
copyright ©right 2010-2020。