Unit 5 Canada ------The True North
Chinatown in Vancouver
How much do yo
u know about Canada? Try the quiz on page33.
Keys: 1.C 2. D 3. A 4. B 5. A
What do you expect to see if you take a trip to Canada?
Scan the reading passage and underline the main places mentioned in the text. Atlantic coast, Vancouver, Rocky Mountains, Calgary, Thunder Bay, Lake Superior and Toronto. Draw the travalling route of the two girls at the map on page33.
Read the questions on page35 and read the text to find the answers.
1. They are not flying directly to the Atlantic Coast because they want to travel across Canada. 2. They are crossing the North America.
3. “The True North” is the train that runs through Canada. 4. People want to live in Vancouver because it is very beautiful. They can ski in the Rocky Mountains and sail in harbour.
5. Cowboys compete in riding wild horses, and some of them can win thousands of dollars.
6. Wheat grows in the center of Canada. 7. Ships are ably to reach the center because they can follow the St. Lawrence River and the Great Lakes.
8. Canada had water from its lakes and rivers and wood from its forest.
Try to find out what these numbers refer to in the text. Second: The second largest country in the world 5500: It is 5500 kilometers from the east
to the west of the country.
320: Most Canadians live 320 kilometers of
the USA border.
Thirty million: The population of Canada is
slightly over thirty million One third: Canada has one third of the world’s fresh water
Fill in the blanks.
Li Daiyu and liu Qian took the train in Canada China from ______to Vancouver Their cousin’s friend, _________. Danny Lin, took them to the train station to The True North catch “____ ____ _________.”Canada is second the _______ largest country in the world. coast coast It is 5500 kilometers from ________ to ________. eastward As they go _________, they saw beautiful scenery surrounded as well as cities. Vancouver is ___________ by mountains on the north and east. When the settled down cousins_______ _________ in the seats, they looked out of the window. They saw mountain polar goats and even a _____ bear.
Calgary is famous for its competition.Many of the cowboys from all over North America________ ___ have a _______ gift for ______ ________ working with animals. Then they _______ ________ a wheat-growing province. went through close to Thunder Bay is a busy port. It is_______ ___ the center of the country.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。