unit3 The Million Pound Bank Note（1） 编制人：苏伟 审核人：
Step 1 : Warming Up What do you know about Mark Twain? Do you know any of his works? ____________________________
___________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ Step 2: Fast reading Scan the text and then choose the best answer according to the text. 1.Choose the right order of the following events according to the text. (1) Henry was spotted by a ship the next morning. (2) Henry wandered on the pavement in London. (3) He was sailing out of the bay about a month ago. (4) He earned his passage by working as an unpaid hand on a ship. (5) Towards nightfall he found himself carried out to the sea by a strong wind. A. (2) (3) (1) (5) (4) B. (3) (1) (5) (4) (2) C. (3) (5) (1) (2) (4) D. (3) (5) (1) (4) (2) 2. Why did the two brothers make a bet? A. They wanted to make fun of Henry. B. They wanted to rob Henry of some money. C.To see whether a man could survive with a million pound bank note a month in London. D. They wanted to make Henry their son-in-law. 3. Why did Henry wander in London streets? A. He was on business. B. He was visiting an old friend. C. He was a citizen of London. D. He landed in Britain by accident without money. 4. What kind of person was Henry Adams? A. Brave. B. Shy C. Honest D. Rich 5. How did Henry feel when he got a letter from the brothers? A. Angry B. Hopeful C. Surprised D. Worried Step 3 Detail Reading Read the text carefully and answer the following questions. 1. Why is Henry lost in London? How did he get there? ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ 2.How many questions do the brothers ask Henry? What are they? What is the concern of the brothers? _______________________________________________________________________
3. What did he do in America? ________________________________________________________________ 4. Why do you think that the brothers chose Henry for their bet? ________________________________________________________________ 5. Can you gues why the brothers do not permit Henry to open the letter until 2 o’clock? ________________________________________________________________ Step4 Discussion What kind of person do you think Henry is ? Why do you think so? _______________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ Step5 Summary The play__1__a short story written by Mark Twain, who was__2__in Hannibal, Missouri, and is best known for his__3__, such as The__4__of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. The story happened in the summer of 1903, and Henry Adams, an American__5__, had some bad luck. He was__6__and rescued at sea__7__by a British ship and landed in London, where he found himself without money, friends or a job. All this could __8__his appearance. He was lost and alone in London. He didn’t know what to do. Walking down the street, he heard someone calling him, and then he went in and was led to two rich brothers who made a bet and gave him a(n) __9__with__10___money in it. He was asked not to open the letter until two o’clock in the afternoon. As a matter of fact, there was a one-million-pound bank note in it. Step6 Homework: Find out the important words and expressions of this part _______________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ 学习报告：
1.bet n. (1) agreement to risk money, etc. on an event of which the result is doubtful 赌博
Make a bet 打赌 咱们赌下次大选好吗？ Let’s make a bet on the next election (2) The money, etc. risked in this way (金钱等)赌注 v. 1)risk (money) on a race or some other event of which the result is doubtful 打赌, 赌博
布莱克夫人把她所有的钱都花在了赌马上。 Mrs. Black spent all her money betting on horses.
bet – bet – bet – betting have a bet 打赌 win/lose a bet 打赌赢/输了 accept/take up a bet 同意与…打赌 bet sb sth 与某人打……的赌 bet on sth 对某事打赌 have a bet on… 在……上下赌注 do sth for a bet 为打赌而做某事 make a bet on sth with sb. 和某人在……上打赌
2. scene n. 现场, 场面,景色,(戏剧)一场
behind the scenes 在后台,在幕后,暗中 set the scene 提供条件 come on the scene 登场 on the scene 在现场
Firefighters were on the scene immediately. The rocking boats along the river bank 河边摇动的船形成了一道美丽的风景。 The last scene of the play was very impressive. scenery/scene/view/sight scenery 是总称, 指大范围的自然风光, 是由多个 scene 构成的景色, 常译为 “景色”, “风景”。 scene 指展现在眼前的情景, 也可经指 scenery 的一部分, 指某处小范围的景色,大多包括景物中的 人及活动, 可译为 “情景”, “景色”, “场面”, “(戏剧)一场” view 是指人以一定的角度(或从远处或从高处等)所看到的景色, 还有 “观点”, “看法”的意思。 sight 是眼睛所看到的景象, 可以指美丽的风景, 也可以指悲惨的景象, 用其复数 sights 表示名胜 古迹, 人文景观等。 最后一场戏让人印象深刻。 火警马上到现场。 make a beautiful scene.
3. permit (v.)
permit sth. / doing sth. 允许某事/干某事 permit sb to do sth 允许 某 人 做 某 事 permit sb sth 允许某人做某事 (1) permit sb to do sth.=allow sb to do sth. 允许
她的妈妈是不会允许她晚归的。 Her mother would not permit her to come back late. 容我解释一下。Permit me to explain it.
(2) permit sth: allow sth. to exist, happen, or to be done(very formal) 许可、容许
在我们的办公室里不准吸烟。 We don’t permit smoking in the office. 犯人每天允许有两个小时的户外活动。 The prisoners were permitted two hours’ outdoor exercise a day.
4. go ahead :be carried out; take place 执行，进行，举行
(1) 尽管天气不好，旅行将照常进行。 Despite the bad weather, the journey will go ahead. 新桥的修建将按计划进行。The building of the new bridge will go ahead as planned.
5. matter n.&v
(1) n. affair, topic or situation being considered 事情；问题；情况
我不和同事谈私事。 I don’t discuss private matters with my colleagues. 下次会议我们有几件重要的事情要处理。 We have several important matters to deal with at our next meeting.
(2) n.<U>physical substance or things of a specified kind 物质，材料，物品
宇宙是由物质构成的。The universe is composed of matter.
(3) v. be important 关系重大，要紧
他来也好去也好，那有什么关系呢？What dose it matter whether he comes or goes? 你做什么我都无所谓。It doesn’tmatter to me what you do.
6. by accident =by chance 7. stare v.
我只是碰巧找到 的。I only found it by accident.
(1) look at sb./sth. with the eyes wide open in a fixed gaze 瞪着眼睛凝视
盯着人看是没有礼貌的 他们都惊讶得瞪大了眼睛。 It’s rude to stare.
They all stared in amazement. (2) be wide open with a fixed gaze 睁大眼睛注视
他瞪着眼睛注视着这场面。 她把他瞪得不吭声了。 她凝视着远方。 我看了可是看不清楚。 He gazed at the scene with staring eyes
(3) bring sb. into a specified condition 瞪着某人使其做出某种反应
She stared him into silence. She is staring into the distance. I looked but couldn’t see it clear.
9. spot n.&v.
(1) n. small mark different in color, texture 斑点
豹和虎哪一个身上有斑点？Which has spots, the leopard or the tiger?
spotless adj. 没有污点的,纯洁的 spotted adj. 有斑点的,玷污的 (2) drop 滴
下了几滴雨, 你感觉到了吗？ 杰克最终找到了他想要的衬衫。 我看不出两者的区别。 Did you feel a few spots of rain?
(3) v. pick out, catch sight of, recognize, discover 找出, 认出, 发觉
Jack finally spotted just the shirt he wanted. I can’t spot the difference between them.
10. passage n.船费（包括食宿）
她的祖父一路在船上打工支付船费来到美国。 Her grandfather had worked his passage to America.
11. account for :be the explanation of sth. ; explain the cause of sth. 做某事的解释； 解释某事物的原因。
他因病缺席。 His illness accounts for his absence. Please account for your own conduct. 请你对自己的行为作出解释。
on account of 因为, 由于 take into account=take account of 考虑,重视 on all accounts 无论如何 on no account 绝不
12. appearance n.
1) arrival 出现，来到
警察突然出现, 小偷就逃跑了。 The sudden appearance of a policeman caused the thief to run away.
勿以貌取人——外貌不可靠。 Don’t judge by appearances---- appearances can be misleading. 自我检测：
I. 单词拼写 1. Mary’s father will not ________（允许）het to stay up late. 2. She was _________（凝视）out of the window. 3. I like the red dress with black______（斑点） 。 4. Do you remember the ________（一场） in the play where Susan meets Alan for the first time? 5. To be honest, my opinion is __________（相反的）to yours. 6. It was not our _________（错误）that they were late. 7. I’m beginning to lose my ___________（耐心）with you. 8. We are _______（设法）to improve our English. II. 选词填空 on the spot, by accident, account for, be permitted to, bring up, go ahead, with patience, on the contrary 1. A child who is well ____________has been taught to be polite and to behave well. 2. It doesn’t seem ugly to me;____________, I think it’s rather beautiful. 3. You are not _____________smoke here. 4. ____________and do what you like. 5. I found the key ______________when I was cleaning the room. 6. He was hit by a falling tree and killed _____________. 7. He could not _____________his absence from school. 8. She was a lively young woman ___________and imagination. III. 单项选择 1.Seeing the happy________of children playing in the park, I’m full of joy and
confidence in the future of our country. A. sight B. scene C. view D. sign 2.It’s a specially protected area. People are not ______to cut down trees and hunt animals. A. permitted B. allowing C. advised D. permitting 3.He is such a man who is always ___________fault with other people. A. putting B. seeking C. finding D. looking for 4.I ___________my old friend in the crowd as soon as I got out of the station. A. glanced B. spotted C. stopped D. realized 5.Older people may ________their own friends rather than become too emotionally dependent on their children. A. seek B. scream C. bow D. spot 6.I’ll look into the matter as soon as possible. Just have a little _________. A. wait B. time C. patience D. rest 7. Her parents died when she was a baby and she was _______by her aunt. A. brought in B. brought up C. brought out D. brought down 8. ——Could I ask you a rather personal question? ——Sure, _________. A. pardon me B. go ahead C. good idea D. forget it 9. ——How did you find your missing key? ——___________. A. I found it in my drawer B. Quite by accident C. It was well kept by the monitor D. I had no idea where it was 10.Peter must be ill. It is the only thing that can_________his absence. A. lie in B. result from C. account for D. explain about 11.Mr.Smith found his wife _________by letters and ________very worried. A. surrounding; looked B. surrounded; looked C. surrounding; looking D. surrounded; looking 12. He was about halfway through his meal _________a familiar voice came to his ears. A. why B. where C. when D. while 13. He was about to tell me the secret__________someone patted him on the shoulder. A. as B. until C. while D.when 14. It was along the Mississippi River__________Mark Twain spent much of his childhood. A. how B. which C. that D. where
The Million Pound Bank Note（2）
I. Do reading. Step1. Read the passage quickly and choose the best answer. 1.Why does the waiter tell Henry the food that he orders will cost a lot of money? （ ） A. Because he is afraid Henry doesn’t have enough money. B. Because he always tells customers about that. C. Because the hostess is looking at him. D. Because he thinks Henry is very rich. 2.From the passage we know that the owner thinks that___________. A. all the Americans like to order twice B. this American is very poor C. Americans like to eat a lot D. Americans are the richest in the world 3.Why does the hostess scream? （ ） A. Because she is very angry. B. Because she is shocked. C. Because she is pleased. D. Because she is frightened. 4.How many bank notes in a million pound were issued according to the passage?( ) A. One B. Two C. Three D. Four Step2. Read the passage again and tell the following statements true(T) or false(F). 1.When Henry enters the restaurant, the waiter serves him in a polite manner. ( ) 2.Henry doesn’t open the envelope until two o’clock. ( ) 3.The owner and the waiter are shocked while Henry is surprised after seeing the note. ( ) Step3. Translation. 1.______ n. 过错；缺点；故障 2.__________ n. 著者；作家 3.______ n.(戏剧)一场；现场；场面；景色 4.________ vi. 漫游；漫步；漂泊 5.______ n. 人行道 6. ______ vi. 凝视；盯着看 7. ______ n .小说；长篇故事 8. ______ vt. 发现；认出; adj. 新奇的；奇异的 n. 斑点；污点；地点 9. ______ n. 船费；通道； （一）段 10. ______ vi&vt 认为；说明；总计有 11. ______ vt&vi 寻找；探索；寻求 n.说明；理由；计算；账目 12. ______ n. 信封 13. ______ n. 数量 14. ______ n. 礼貌；举止；方式 15. ______ adv.真正地；确实；实在 16. ______ 偶然；无意中；不小心 17. ____________盯着看；凝视 18. ____________ 导致；做出解释 19. _______衣衫褴褛 20. ______前进； （用于祈使句）可以；往下说 21. ____________说实话 22. _________抚养；培养；教育；提出 23. ____________关于；至于
II. Language points
1. amount n. 数量 a large amount of “大量的” ，修饰不可数名词。 ．．．．． a large number of “许多，大量的” 修饰可数名词复数 ．．．．．．
There’s a large amount of work for us to do. 有大量的工作等着我们去做。 I have a large number of things to do . 我有许多事情要做。
注意：a good / large amount of 修饰不可数名词作主语时，谓语动词用单数; ． good/ large amounts of 修饰不可数名词作主语时, 谓语动词复数. ． ．
Large amounts of money were spent on the bridge. 那座桥耗资巨大。
A good amount of damage was done in a very short time.
adj. “粗鲁的；无礼的” 其近义词为 impolite，反义词为 polite.
be rude to sb. 对某人粗鲁 It is rude of sb. To do sth.某人做某事是粗鲁的
Don’t be so rude to your parents! 别对你的父母这么没礼貌！ It is rude to speak when you’re eating.吃东西时说话是不礼貌的。
3. manner (1) 方式，方法，态度，举止（常用单数） ． (2) 礼貌，礼仪，规矩，习俗（常用复数） ． It’s good /bad manners to do sth, 做某事有/没有礼貌 ． have no mnners 没有礼貌 ．
I don’t like his manner. 我不喜欢他的态度。 Hold your knife and fork in this manner. 以这样的方式拿刀叉。 It’s bad manners to point at people. 对人指指点点是不礼貌的。 Mind you table manners at the dinner party. 在宴会上要注意餐桌礼仪。
4. take a chance 碰运气，冒险（相当于 take chances 或 take a risk） by chance =by accident 偶然地；意外地 gave sb a chance 给某人一次机会 have a chanc of (doing) sth. 有机会做…… (The) chance is (that)…/(The) chances are (that)…可能……
Why not go ahead and take a chance? 为什么不继续下去， 碰碰运气呢？ She has a good chance of winning. 她获胜的希望很大。 Chances are (that) he has arrived. 他可能已经到了。
5. as for “至于，就……而论” ，常用来对已经谈过的事情作进一步的说明或引 起人们对句中所谈的事情的注意。其后可接名词、代词、动名词。 As for the bill, sir, please forget it .(教材 P22) 至于说账单嘛， 先生， 请把它忘了吧.
As for the hotel, it was very uncomfortable and miles from the sea. 至于旅馆呢，非常不舒服，而且离海边有好几英里远。
6. You must come whenever you want and have whatever you like. 你什么时候想来就来，想吃什么就吃什么。 “whatever/ whoever/ whichever/ whenever/wherever/ however”用法如下： （1） what/ who/ which/ when/ where/ how+-ever 可引导让步状语从句， “无 意为 论什么/ 谁/ 哪个/ 何时/ 何地/ 怎样……都……”相当于 no matter what/ who/ which/ when/ where/ how. （2） what/ who/ which +-ever 除引导让步状语从句外，还可以引导主语从句或 宾语从句，它们既在从句中作成分又在主句中作成分，相当与 anything that, anybody who 等，此时不能与 no matter what/ who/ which 互换。
Wherever I went, the dog always followed me. =No matter where I went, the dog always followed me. 任何在这种大雨中行走的人都会患感冒。 Choose whatever you like. 选择你喜欢的任何东西。 （此时不能换成 no matter…） Whatever (=No matter what ) I say, he always disagrees.不管我说什么，他总是不同意。 无论我走到哪里，这只狗总是跟着我.
Whoever walks around in such a heavy rain will catch a clod.（此时不可以换成 No matter o…）
7.It’s amazing how much pleasure you get out of the simple things in life, especially if you can’t have them for a while. 从生活中如此简单的东西之中竟能得到这么大的乐趣，真是令人吃惊，特别是 当你暂时吃不到这些东西的时候。 这是一个复合句。 是形式主语， it 真正的主语 how much pleasure you get out of the sim;le things in life, especially if you can’t have them for a while 放在了后 面。If 引导的是条件状语从句。
It is strange that he is so late. 奇怪，他迟到了这么久。 It is impossible that he can buy such an expensive car.他能买这么贵的车是不可能的。
自我检测： I.单词拼写： 1.Large _____(数量) of soil are being washed away every year in this area. 2.It’s bad ______（礼貌）to talk with you mouth full. 3.I am very glad_________（真正地，确实）to hear that you are better. 4.It’s ______（不礼貌）to talk to the elderly likethis. 5.They ________（尖叫）for help from the window of the burning hotel. 6.They ________（鞠躬）politely before the Queen. 7.I hope I remember to ask the _________（理发师）not to cut my hair too short. 8.What he said just now is ________（不可相信的） 。
II．完成句子： 1.他在学习上花了大量的时间。 He has spent______ ______ _______ _____ time in studying. 2.我想冒个险去做生意。 I’d like to ______ ______ ______and run a business. 3.这个乞丐穿着破衣烂衫。 The beggar was dressed_____ ______. 4.盯着别人看是不礼貌的。 ______ ______ ______ _______ to stare at others. 5.今天就到此为止。至于其他问题，我们明天再接着讨论。 Let’s stop here today. ___ ___ ___ ___ ______ ,we’ll go on to discuss them tomorrow. III.单项选择： 1.________of coal______used in this plant every year. A. A plenty ; was B. Large amounts; was B. A large number; was D. Large amounts; were 2.It is rude _____you _____with your mouth full. A. of; to talk B. for; to talk C. of; talking D. for; talking 3.Do you think it is ____good manners to hear others’ conversations in _____curious manner? A. the; a B. / ; / C. / ; a D. the; the 4.Think twice before you do it. In my opinion, it’s not worth _______. A, to take a chance B. taking a chance C. taking chances D. B and C 5._______the cost, that will be very little. A. As for B. With C. Because of D. Besides 6.______is known to us all is that the 2012 Olympic Games will take place in London. A. It B. What C. As D. Which 7.________ we gave him something to eat, he would save it up for his little sister. A. Whatever B. However C. Whichever D. Whenever 8. It is generally considered unwise to give a child_________he or she wants. A. however B. whatever C.whichever D. wherever 学习报告：
copyright ©right 2010-2020。