?Making the News
From where can we get information ?
Do you know any famous newspaper in our country? Or abroad?
Do you often read newspapers? What kinds of newspaper do you read?
Do you know how a newspaper is made?
What types of jobs do people do in making a newspaper?
reporter / journalist
How many sections are there in a newspaper?
Look at the following pictures, and guess what they are?
How many different kinds ofdo jobs What all these people should ? do newspapers have?
reporter editor designer Chief editor 主编
deputy editor 副主编
sub editor 审校编辑 critic 评论员 cartoonist 漫画师 correspondent 通讯员
What jobs do they do?
1.journalist 4.deputy editor 7. critic 9.desk editor 2.chief editor 3.reporter 5.photographer 6. printer 8.foreign correspondent 10.cartoonist 11. sub-editor
1.journalist/3.reporter 7. critic
1).Which two words mean the same?
2).Who gives opinions on plays and books?
3).Who reports from aboard?
8. foreign correspondent
4).Who decides on the content of the newspaper?
2. chief editor
5).Who prints the newspaper? 6. printer
1.journalist 4.deputy editor 7. critic 9.desk editor
2.chief editor 3.reporter 5.photographer 6. printer 8.foreign correspondent 10.cartoonist 11. sub-editor
6) Who writes news stories? 1.journalist/3.reporter 7) Who makes corrections to articles and design?11.sub-editor 8) Who designs comic drawings with captions(说明,标题)?
9) Who is in charge of the newspaper when the boss is away?
10) Who takes photos of important people or events?
Guess what all the people should do.
types of jobs
What it involves
finding out new s and telling people about it in newspaper or on TG/radio
make sure the writing is clear, concise and accurate; checks facts
photographer takes photographs of important
people or events
Guess what all the people should do.
lays out the article and photographs prints the newspaper
If you want to be a reporter, do you think what qualities a good news reporter needs to have?
Higher level of education Work experience Good communication skills Curious, active personality Hard-working Enthusiam for the job
1 .What level of education should a good news reporter have ? 2. Dose work experience play an important role in making the news? 3. Is being curious and active important? why or why not ? 4. Enthusiasm for the job is the key to success, do you agree ? Why/why not ?
Requirement of a reporter in advertisement:
1. Bachelor (学士)degree or above 2. At least 2 year working experience 3. Fluency in English both on spoken and written 4. Outgoing personality and excellent interpersonal & communication skills 5. Initiative(主动的), passionate(充满激情的) , team-working and work with high degree of independence 6. Able to work under pressure 7. Good knowledge in computer software application (应用) especially in MS office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
Do you still remember your first day at school? Primary school? Middle school? Or high school? Exchange your experience with your partner.
Can you tell something about your unforgettable moments, such as your first day at school, being far away from home, etc., in your life? Now discuss in groups of 3 or 4 what your first day would be like, and how you would feel if you were to work for a famous newspaper or a company?
My first work assignment
says new reporter
1. Answer questions 1) and 2).
1).What are they talking about?
They are talking about how to become a good reporter, including some necessary skills, some duties and so on.
2).How many questions does Zhou Yang ask his new boss, Hu Xin? Please underline all these questions.
2. True or False. (Tell why)
3). Zhou Yang is very enthusiastic about his new job. Can I go out on a story immediately?
4). Zhou Yang is very eager to learn.
What do I need to remember when I go out to cover a story? 5). Zhou Yang is modest. What mistake must I avoid?
scanning The purpose of writing the passage
1) It shoes the students the skills necessary to become a good reporter. 2).It wants to shoe how to conduct a good interview.
What a new reporter should do on the first day
1) The first time he will be sent with an experienced reporter. 2) There is no need for him to take a camera with him. He will have a professional photographer with him to take photographs.
What a reporter needs to remember when going to cover a story
1）He needs to be curious.
2) A good reporter must have a “ nose ” for a story.
3) He has to listen to the detailed facts 4) If necessary, he can prepare a recorder to make sure that he gets the facts straight.
Questions and discussion.
1. What does Zhou Yang have with him when he goes out?
a notebook, pen and a camera
2. What equipment do you think a news reporter should have nowadays?
mobile phone, digital camera, small recorder, notebook computer, satellite telephone,
Use the information from the reading passage to help you work out Zhou Yang’s notes. Zhou Yang’s notes The skills needed :
Be able to tell if someone is telling the truth. Be accurate. Do research. Ask questions.
get the detailed facts.
The importance of listening: Prepare the next question.
Stages in researching a story: ask questions. Note reactions. Check facts. Do research.
Use the information from the reading passage to help you work out Zhou Yang’s notes. Zhou Yang’s notes
How to check facts:
Use research and ask witnesses.
How to deal with accusations of printing lies
Use a tape recorder for an interview.
Use the reading to work out which adjectives best describe what is required for these two job.
concise patient imaginative wellorganized technically good polite honest truthful thorough creative curious careful gifted professional Adjectives to describe a journalis Adjectives to describe a photographer
patient, well-organized, thorough, curious, careful, concise, professional, polite
creative, imaginative, technically good, gifted, professional, , patient well-organized
1. Retell the text by using the first person (I).
2. Read the reading text aloud for some times until you can read it fluently. 3. Find out the difficult words and useful expressions by yourselves.
What is the main difference between being a journalist and being a photographer? A journalist needs to be _____________________ , thorough, curious, careful, concisebut a photographer needs to be _____________ Creative, imaginative, technically good and gifted ____________________________________________ They both need to be professional, well-organized ____________________________________________ and patient __________________. I think I would make a good I am creative and enjoy photographer because ____________________ _______________
being technically good at things. ____________________________________.
Practice – interviewing
What is your biggest problem to become a reporter? How can you change it?
copyright ©right 2010-2020。