Length Lesson type Period Class 45 min Reading The 1st Period Grade 1 in senior high school
Teaching objectives By the end of the lesson, Students should be able
to: 1) Know about the main idea and structure of the text. 2) Know about the earthquake, including its signs and effects, and give a brief description of earthquake to others. 3) Improve their reading skills, including skimming to predict the main idea of article and scanning to get more detail information about text. 4) Be aware of the importance of how to recognize the sign of earthquake and save yourself during the earthquake. Important points 1) The understanding of the main idea and structure of this text. 2) the basic knowledge of earthquake, including its signs and effects, and the ability to give a brief description of earthquake to others. 3) the improvement of their reading skills, including skimming to predict the main idea of article and scanning to get more
detail information about text. Difficult points 1) the apply of scanning skill to predict the meaning of the new words, such as wells, burst, in ruins, suffering. 2) the apply of scanning skill to get more detail about earthquake. Teaching methods Direct Method & Communicative Approach. Teaching procedure Ⅰ.Lead-in(5min)
1. Imintation of earthquake Ss form in a group of 4 and 2 Ss sit face to face of the other 2 Ss. Then, 2 Ss put their face on the desk with their arms below the face. These 2 Ss represent the people who are asleep. After a while, T gives a single and the other 2 Ss shake the desk but not too violently to imitate the scene of earthquake. Since the 2 Ss who pretend to sleep do not know when the shaking will happen, the imitation gives them a very vivid impression of the people who are asleep before the earthquake. After that, change the roles and play the imitation again. 2.impressions sharing T allows Ss 2 minutes to share their feelings during and after the earthquake in group. Then, T asks 3 Ss to share it before class.
1. T shows some pictures about earthquake around the world quickly to give them a brief impression of earthquake.
2. Then, T shows some pictures about Tangshan Earthquake , and
asks Ss to share what they have known about the earthquake.
Ⅲ. While - Reading(25min) 1. Ss look at the title and skim the first one or two sentences of each paragraph to predict the main idea and structure of this text. 2. Ss number the following main ideas of each paragraph in correct orders after skimming the article: ( ( ) ) It is mainly about the damage of earthquake. Strange things were happening in the countryside of
northeast Hebei. ( ) It is mainly about what happened during the
earthquake. ( ) It is mainly about how people rescued the city after
the earthquake. 3. Paragraph1： 1） Ss read paragraph1 carefully and finish the questions below with “T” or “F”. (1) Farmers didn’t notice that the well walls had deep cracks
(2) In the farmyards, the chickens and even the pigs were too nervous to eat. （ ）
(3) At about 3:00 am on June 28, 1976, some people saw bright lights in the sky. （ ）
(4) The one million people of the city, who were aware of these events, were asleep as usual that night. （ ）
(5) This paragraph tells us some information about the earthquake, such as place, time. （ ）
2）Ss picks out some signs of earthquake and T lists them on the blackboard. 4. paragraph 2-3 1）Ss read paragraph 2-3 carefully and finish the chart below. During earthquake After earthquake
2） Ss pick up some useful words in paragraph 2-3 to describe how the earthquake happens. The same, T lists them on the blackboard. If there are not enough space, T can type them on the computer. Then, T shows a picture of the horrible scene after the earthquake, allows Ss 1.5 minutes to imagine what had
happened during the earthquake and think about how to describe it with the the words list on the blackboard, then asks 3 Ss to describe the scene. 5. Paragraph4 1)Ss read paragraph4carefully and find out who came to rescue the town and what they did after earthquake, and then fill in the chart according to the text Rescuer
out who 2) the solution of some difficult language point: T asks Ss the Chinese meaning of the last scentence of the
passage “Slowly, the city began to breathe again” and asks to find the paraphrase in the paragraph—All hope was not lost. 6. Ss read the whole passage again (1)T show one example of predicting the new word “well” using the scanning skill and then ask Ss to apply the skill and match the word with the correct expression. To save time, the
paragraph in which the new words are in are already given to the Ss. (1) rescue (2) shocked (3)disaster (4) ruins extreme (8) steam (9) useless (10)injured been destroyed (2) Complete the passage with words from the text. It was a frightening night. The dam cracked and then ____ under the weight of the water. The water went all over the fields and ____ quite a few villages along the river. Some buildings were in ____ and some farmers were ____ at the top of their houses. The water filled the canals and the ____. Dead bodies and ____ animals were seen everywhere. People were ____. But they had to ____ the dead bodies for health reasons. It was a very sad time. (3)T asks the Ss to think about whether the title“A Night The Earth Didn’t Sleep”is well-written or not. If not, could of no use very great in degree hurt a very bad accident such as an earthquake (5) gas that hot water gives out make someone feel very surprised save something or somebody from danger the part of a building left after the rest has
they give another title? Ⅳ.Post-reading: Practice (8min) (1) Ss work in groups to discuss how to save themselves during the earthquake. (2) Ss set up a scene to show how to save themselves during the earthquake.
Ⅳ.Homework ( 3 min)
Imagine your home has suffered an earthquake and you are one of the survivor. Write a article about your feeling about the
earthquake and give some advices about how to recognize the sign of earthquake and save yourself during the earthquake . Unit4 Earthquakes
Structure Board design Para1: Para2-3 Para4:
Reading skills 1. Skimming for main idea and structure 2. Scanning for detail information
copyright ©right 2010-2020。