Unit 3 Under the sea
Do you know about whales?
Killer whales are one of the top predators in the sea. As a group, killer whales are known
to eat fish, squid, seals, sea lions, penguins, even other whales.
Orcas are highly social animals that travel in groups called pods. Pods usually consist of 5 to 30 whales, and are led by females. Orca pods often work together to catch a meal.
Baleen whales have no teeth but instead have baleen plates with which the whales can filter the food out of the water.
On the top of the head, toothed whales have a single blowhole, the baleen whales have two blowholes, which open only when the whale takes a breath.
Most baleen whales migrate over the entire globe, moving from the Antarctic where they feed on krill, to the sub-tropics, where they breed and spend the winter season.
What is happening in the picture? baleen whale
Killer whales are attacking a baleen whale with whalers waiting by in their boat, harpoon at the ready.
Clancy career a whaler writing style anecdotes
place main character main idea
at the beginning of the 20th century Australia Whalers, killer whales and baleen whales The killer whale helped the whalers to kill a baleen whale
Read the text fast, and fill in the following blanks with the proper names: Clancy 1._________ was 16 years of age when he went to work at the whaling station. George 2. _______ ordered Clancy to go to the boat as there was a whale out there in the bay.
3.Old Tom was swimming by the boat, _______ showing the whalers the way.
Jack 4. _______ told Clancy that they would return the next day to bring in the body of the whale. James 5. _______ was carried by the waves further and further away from the whalers. Red 6. _______ knew that Old Tom would protect James.
Answer those questions. 1. When did Clancy begin to believe that the killer whales would help the whalers to catch the huge whales? When he witnessed it with his own eyes many times.
2. Why did Old Tom throw itself out of the water and then crash down again? Because the body would not float to the surface until about 24 hours later. 3. Why did the whalers return home without the whale’s body?
Because he was telling us there’s a whale out there for us.
4. What’s the relationship between Old Tom and the whalers? Old Tom had a strong relationship with the whalers. Not only did Old Tom help them to catch the whales, but also saved a whaler’s life. There was obviously a great deal of understanding and cooperation between them.
Choose the best answers. 1. What is the main idea of the first story? A. About a hunting experience of old Tom. B. About how the killer whales helps the whalers to hunt a whale. C. About how the whalers killed Old Tom. D. About how the killer whales killed the whales.
2. What’s the main idea of the second story? A. About how Old Tom protected and saved James B. About how Old Tom killed a shark. C. About how a shark attacked James. D. About how a shark killed Old Tom.
3. Who killed the whale at last?
A. Old Tom.
B. The killer whales. C. The author. D. The whalers.
4. Which of the following might be true? A. The author was for banning whaling. B. The author was against banning whaling. C. Whaling was not banned at the beginning of the 20th century. D. The author thought it was Old Tom’s duty to protect James.
5. From the text, we can conclude that ____.
A.The whalers needn’t train the killer whales. B. The whalers may train the killer whales. C. The killer whales lived on other whales. D. The author worked in the whale station for a long time.
Comprehending 1 Put the events in the reading passage into this timeline. Write a sentence in each of the boxes. Three sentences have been given.
1. Clancy arrived at the whaling station.
2. He heard a loud noise coming from the bay. 3. He saw a huge animal in the water, which was Old Tom, the killer whale. 4. The men went to the boat and headed out for a whale hunt.
5. The killer whale guided the team to the hunt. 6. Clancy and his men killed the baleen whale with help of the killers.
7. The killers ate the lips and tongue of the baleen whale. 8. The men returned for the baleen whale the next day.
2 In pairs answer the questions.
1. What evidence was there that Old Tom was helping the whalers out?
Old Tom let the whalers know that there was a baleen whale nearby; he showed them the way to whale. 2. What other animals did the author compare the killer whales with? Why do you think the killer whales behaved like this? Dogs. Because they knew that, together with the whalers, they would soon kill the baleen whale and get a good feed.
3. Why did George think that the killer
whales worked as a team?
Because he could see that some of the killers were throwing themselves on top of the whale’s blow hole while others were preventing it from diving or fleeing out to sea.
4. Why did the whalers allow the killer
whales to drag the whale away?
Because they knew the Killer Whalers would leave the rest of the body to them. 5. How did help James? Why do you think
he did this?
Old Tom prevented James from drowning. Old Tom wanted to help his human friends.
In groups, describe the relationship between Old Tom and the whalers.
What other animals help out humans
Old Tom had a strong relationship with the whalers. There was obviously a great deal of understanding and cooperation between them. There are many other animals that help out humans in hunting such as dogs, cormorants, otters and ferrets. In the past, raptors were used to hunt rabbits, and cheetahs were used to hunt rabbits, and cheetahs were used to hunt wild animals.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。