The Rest of Elias’ story
Ex. 1 of Learning about Language
group of people organized for a special purpose feel hopeless
Words and expr
essions from the text
league lose heart out of work hero as a matter of fact
lose one’s job
brave man In fact
have some difficult problems be taken to prison some time
put in prison period willing fees advise continue
be ready to
money paid for going to school tell somebody what to do go on
always doing new things
what people to in a war a yellow metal for making a ring agree to take go against a law quiet and calm
break the law
out of work When Elias lost his job and was __________, his wife was very unhappy. She knew this means he was in trouble when all she wanted was a _________ peaceful life with enough money every month. She _______ tried to advise him not to fight the government as _______ she thought it was better to accept that in South ______ Africa black people were not as important as white people. But he was willing to continue the fight and _______ help Nelson Mandela with equal rights for black period people. For a ______ time she felt helpless and lost heart but Elias encouraged her with stories of ________, how good life would be when white and black people worked and played together.
The Rest of Elias’ story
Read the text , and do the exercise on Page 38
Read the text again and answer the following questions: 1.How did Mr. Mandela help Elias in the prison? 2.When did Elias lose his job?
3.Does Elias like his present work?
1. You cannot imagine how the sound of the name of Robben Island made us afraid. 你 想象不到听到罗本岛这个名字令我们 多么害怕。 imagine n./doing sth./sb.+doing/that… Can you imagine life without
electricity? I din’t imagine becoming a writer in my childhood.
2. He taught us during the lunch breaks and the evening when we should have been asleep. 在 午餐的休息时间和晚上我们本应该睡 觉的时候他教授我们。 should do / should have done He should have come earlier. You should come earlier tomorrow. You should have written to your mother. My teacher said I should study harder.
should do 表示应该做，一般指现 在或将来的动作，指过去的动作时应 站在过去的角度。 should have done 表示本应该做而 没有做的。站在现在的角度上评说过 去的事情。
asleep, sleep & sleepy
--Is he still sleeping?
--Yes, he is fast asleep.
I was too sleepy to hear the end of her talk. I usually sleep seven hours a day. asleep 是表语形容词，意为“睡着的”。 sleep 是动词或名词，意为“睡觉”。 sleepy 是形容词，意为“打盹的”。
3. As they were not cleverer than me, but did pass their exam, I knew I could get a degree too. 由于他们不如我聪明而又确实通过了考试， 我知道我也能获得学位。 did pass 为强调结构，强调谓语动词时， 在动词原行前加do, does, did.
Do be careful! I do hope you have a merry Christmas! He does speak English well!
4. I did not work for twenty years until Mr Mandela and the ANC came to power in 1993.
come to power = come into power
in power 当权，执政
Things have changed a lot since he came to power. How long has he been in power?
5. All the terror and fear of that
time came back to me. terror n. 恐怖，可怕的人或事
The murder was a terror to the people in the town. fear n. 恐惧，可怕 vt. 恐惧，害怕 + n./to do /that… Do you fear death?
She fears to speak in our presence.
fear that we can’t protect ourselves. for fear of … for fear that… 担心
He left an hour earlier for fear of missing the train. She worried for fear that the child would be
6. I remembered the beatings and the cruelty of the guards and my friends who had died and I felt I would not be able to do it.
beating n. 打、输
They gave him a good beating. They gave our team quite a beating.
beat n. 敲击，跳动 We heard the beat of a drum. Can you hear the beat of my heart?
7. They said that the job and the pay from the new South African government was my reward after working all my life for equal rights for the Blacks.
He worked hard but without much reward.
in reward 作为报酬 She got nothing in reward for her
copyright ©right 2010-2020。