What is eye contact?
Eye contact is a meeting of the eyes between two individuals. In human beings, eye contact is a form of nonverbal communication and is thought to
have a large influence on social behavior.
The customs and significance of eye contact vary widely between cultures, with religious and social differences often altering its meaning greatly.
Please skim the passage and then match the paragraphs with the main ideas.
P1 Body language is more important than P5 P2 P4 P6 P3
words. Problems caused by misunderstanding of eye contact. Eye contact is the key to communication. Eye contact in many Asian cultures. Eye contact is a subtle thing. Eye contact in Western cultures.
Answer the following questions.
1. Why is eye contact sometimes the key to communication? It can signal friendliness or hostility, interest Or boredom, and understanding or confusion. 2. Is eye contact important in Western cultures? Why or why not? Yes. Because a westerner might consider a lack of eye contact as a lack of interest.
3. In which countries is eye contact more frequent between speakers? It is more frequent in Spain, Italy and Greece. 4. What kind of eye contact is considered not polite? Staring at others is considered impolite.
Fill in the blanks.
Difference cultures Western cultures Asian cultures Eye contact necessary, frequent avoiding eye contact, closing eyes or looking down Meanings having interest, polite showing respect
Do you believe avoiding eye contact shows respect? In which circumstances, do you avoid eye contact?
Eye Contact in Different Cultures
Visual contact is encouraged in the United States of America. In most areas of Europe, looking into a person's eyes while conversing is seen as a mark of respect.
Middle-Eastern societies, largely Muslim, require less contact than those in the European and American societies. In Asia, Africa and Latin America, sustained contact can be perceived as a challenge or affront to authority.
1.… the way you say something is far more important than what you say. far在这里是副词，意思是“很；极”，修 饰比较级。
It turned out far better than I had expected. The room was small and contained far too much furniture.
even, still, a great deal, a bit, rather, three times, any, no, very much 等也可以修饰比较级。
2. Eye contact is sometimes the key to communication. key在这里是“关键”的意思。 The detective believes the missing gun is the key to the mystery. This is the key to world peace. 英语中讲某某的东西一般要用of，而key, entrance, answer则多用to。
3. In Western cultures, maintaining eye contact in conversation is necessary. maintain v. 维持；保持 Mankind have been trying every means to maintain the balance of nature. The government has taken a measure to maintain the stability of prices. Frank maintains his car very well. Ann and Mary maintained their friendship for the next thirty years.
4. As a matter of fact, a westerner might consider a lack of eye contact as a lack of interest. consider v. 认为；考虑；细想
I consider it a great honor to be invited to dinner. Jean considered herself (to be) very lucky.
We're considering moving to Seattle. I've begun to consider what to do next.
consider, think, believe, regard这些动词均 含有“认为”之意。 consider指经过考虑和观察后得出的结论。
believe通常指根据一定的证据，经思考后 而认为属实。 regard侧重凭外表或表面现象作判断，多 强调观点。
lack of 缺乏…, 缺少… The plant died for lack of water. Her decision seems to show a lack of political judgment. Stress and tiredness often result in a lack of concentration.
5. In many Asian cultures, avoiding eye contact shows respect. avoid v. 避免 She braked suddenly and avoided an accident. The boy avoided punishment by running away. She tried to avoid answering my questions. You had better avoid reading in the train.
Review the outline of the passage.
Eye contact is _________to communication. the key It signals ____________ or __________, friendliness hostility _________or ________, understanding or interest boredom ____________ _____________. confusion Eye contact is important in many countries. In Western culture, ___________ eye maintaining contact is necessary. Lack of eye contact is lack of interest considered as ________________; In Spain,
France, Italy and Greece, eye contact is ________________ and _______ longer. more frequent lasts Eye contact is a _________ thing. Too much subtle eye contact could ______________________, be considered impolite for staring at others is rude and should ______________ ____________. be avoided
copyright ©right 2010-2020。