必修 4 Unit2 Working the land
1 struggle [?str ? gl] vi.搏斗； 奋斗； 努力； 争取 n.打斗； 竞争； 奋斗 【例句】They had to struggle against/with all kinds of difficulties. 他们必须和各种各样的困难作斗争。 After 5 years’ of stru
ggle, people in Wenchuan are living a normal life now. 经过 五年的努力，现在汶川人民的生活步入了正轨。 【搭配】struggle against/with 与……斗争 struggle for 为争取……而斗争 struggle to do 努力去做 struggle to one’s feet 挣扎着站起来 a life-and-death struggle 生死搏斗 【辨析】battle, war, campaign, struggle, fight 这些名词均有―战斗，战争‖之意。 battle： 侧重指战争中的一次较全面、时间较长的战斗，也指陆军或海军在某一特定地 区进行的战斗，或个人之间的争斗。 war： 是战争的总称，一般指包括多个战役的大规模战争。 campaign： 通常指在一场大的战争中在某一地区进行的一连串有既定目的的军事行动。 也可作引申用。 struggle： 指激烈或时间持续长的战斗或奋力斗争。 fight： 最普通用词，含义广，指战斗、斗争或打斗。 2 hunger [?h ? ?g?(r)] n.饿，饥饿； 欲望 vt.& vi.（使）饥饿 【例句】His hunger for knowledge drove him to the library. 他对知识的强烈愿望驱使他上图书馆。 These students hunger for new knowledge and ideas. 这些学生渴望学到新知识，获得新思想。 【搭配】have a hunger for 渴望 hunger for 渴望得到 【拓展延伸】 “渴望得到某物/渴望做某事‖的多种表达法归纳如下： hunger for sth. long for sth. hope for sth. wish for sth. be eager for sth. desire sth. hunger to do sth long to do sth hope to do sth wish to do sth be eager to do sth. desire to do sth. 3 expand [? k?sp?nd] vt.使…变大； 扩张； 详述vi.扩展； 发展； 张开； 展开 【例句】In ten years the city’s population expanded by 12%. 十年之中,该市人口增加了百分之十二。 【搭配】expand...into...将……扩展/发展成…… expand on 阐述；详谈 【辨析】expand/extend/spread/stretch expand 意为―展开，扩大‖，不仅指尺寸的增加，还可指范围和体积的扩大。 extend 意为―伸出，延伸‖，指空间范围的扩大，以及长度，宽度的向外延伸， 也可指时间的延长。 spread 意为―传播；蔓延；铺开‖。一般指向四面八方扩大传播的范围，如传播 （疾病），散布（信息）等。 stretch 意为―伸展(身体等)，拉长；连绵‖，一般指由曲变直，由短变长的伸展， 不是加长。 【拓展延伸】expansion n. 展开；膨胀；扩展expansive adj. 广阔的；易膨胀的 4 rid [r? d] vt.使摆脱，解除，免除 【例句】 You are supposed to rid yourself of carelessness,for it often leads to trouble. 你应该
? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ?
克服粗心，因为他常常引起麻烦。 It’s easy to get into the habit of smoking but hard to get rid of it. 染上吸烟的恶习很容易，但要戒掉很困难。 【搭配】rid sb of sth 使某人摆脱 get rid of 摆脱，除去 5 equip [? ? kw? p] vt.装备，配备 【例句】Most parents want to equip their children with a good education. 大多数父母想让他们的孩子接受良好的教育。 【搭配】equip ... for 给...配备，使有能力做 equip sb with 用...装备 be equipped for 准备好 be equipped with 装备，安装 be fully/poorly/well equipped 装备 齐全/简陋/完好 【辨析】 equip, furnish, supply, provide, afford 这些动词都含有―提供，供给‖之意。 equip： 侧重提供与技术有关的装备或设备等。 furnish： 多指添置家具等供给生活的必需品或为生活舒适提供所需的服务设施。 supply/provide： 普通用词，指提供任何所需求的东西。 afford： 一般只用于对抽象事物提供，也可指经济能力上的供给或支付。 【拓展延伸】equipment n [u] 装备 a piece of equipment 一件装备 【温馨提示】equip 的过去式和过去分词都是 equipped；现在分词是 equipping。 6 confuse [k?n?fju:z] vt. 使困窘； 使混乱； 使困惑 【例句】It is important to explain this again or we will confuse the students. 把这个再解释一遍很重要，否则我们就会使学生感到迷惑。 They asked so many questions that they confused me. 他们问了许多问题，都把我弄糊涂了。 【搭配】 confuse A with B 把 A 与 B 混淆 be confused about 对...感到困惑 【温馨提示】confused 指―困惑的；迷惑不解的；被弄糊涂的 ‖，表示人的内心感受； confusing―使人困惑的；令人迷惑的；使人混乱的‖，表示事物的状态。 7 regret [r? ? gret] vt.后悔，悔恨； 遗憾 n.遗憾，惋惜； 后悔 【例句】If you don’t study hard now, you will regret it in the future. 如果你现在不好好学习，将来你会后悔的。 Much to our regret, we couldn’t attend your wedding. 让我们深感遗憾的是，我们没能参加你们的婚礼。 【搭配】 regret doing/having done sth 后悔做了某事 regret to do 遗憾的做 to one’s regret 令某人感到遗憾的是 with regret 遗憾地 8 reduce [r? ? dju:s] vt.减少； 缩小 【例句】They have reduced the prices in the shop,so it’s good time to buy.商店已经降低了 价格，所以现在是买东西的好时候。 It was foggy so the driver had to reduce speed to forty kilometers an hour. 由于大雾，司机不得不把速度减到每小时 40 千米。 【搭配】reduce to 减少到 reduce by 减少了 【辨析】decrease, diminish, lessen, reduce, dwindle 这些词的共同含义是―减少，变少‖。 decrease： 指逐渐地、不断地减少。 lessen： 普通用词，与 decrease 近义。指数目、程度、价值、实力等的减少。 reduce： 普通用词，含义广。指数量、程度的降低或减少。
? ? ?
9 comment [?k ? ment] n.评论； 注释 vt.& vi.评论，谈论 【例句】Do you have any comment to make about the cause of the accident? 你对这起事故发生的原因有何评论？ 【搭配】no comment 无可奉告 comment on ...对...评论 make a comment on/about ...对... 评论 10 focus [?f ?? k?s] vt. 集中； 聚焦 n.焦点； 聚焦 【例句】It was the main focus of attention at the meeting. 这是会议上关注的主要焦点。 【搭配】focus on 集中精力于 focus one’s attention on 把注意力集中到 【拓展延伸】focus one’s attention on sth.= center/concentrate/fix one’s attention on sth. 集 中注意力于…… 11 thanks to 由于；多亏（有时用作反语）;因为 【例句】Thanks to the bad weather, the match had been cancelled. 多亏了这倒霉的天气，比赛被取消了。（反语） 【拓展延伸】表示―因为，由于‖的短语还有： because of，owing to，on account of，due to，as a result of。 【温馨提示】以上这些都是介词短语，因此后面可以跟名词或动名词而不可以跟从句。 due to 一般不用于句首 12. be satisfied with 对??表示满足或满意 【例句】You’ve done well at school. I’m very satisfied with you. 你在学校干得不错，我对 你很满意。 【拓展延伸】be satisfied to do 对做……感到满意 to sb’ s / sth’ s satisfaction 使某 人满意的是 far from satisfactory 远远不能令人满足 【温馨提示】be satisfied with 同义词 be pleased with be content with 小结：本单元单词的构词法 1． 合成词 1）sunburnt sun+burnt 2) output out+put 3) therefore there+fore 4) underline under+line 2. 词缀+词根 1) dis-①表示“不，消失掉” ；②表示“分开，分离” 如：discovery disagree dishonest disappear 2) -ty 表示性质 如：responsibility nationality personality 3) -ry 表示集合名词 如：laboratory 实验室 chemistry 化学 summary discovery 4) -ion 由动词变化而来的抽象名词常表示状态。 如：communication 交流，交往 occupation production nutrition
必修 4 Unit2 Working the land
1．A ________ (化学的) change takes place in paper when it burns. 2. We must r________ ourselves of these old ideas. 3. Not having had food for over forty hours, we were all weak from h_________. 4. Because of the heavy rain the l________ of the lake has risen 6 inches. 5. It was a new form of ________ (细菌) and nobody knew how it would affect humans. 6. The cookies are made from g________ and fruit. 7. Farmers consider rabbits to be p________, because they destroy some crops they grow. 8. The violent film is not ________(合适的) for children. 9. This food provides the ________(营养) your dog needs. 10. The average ________(产量) of the factory is 20 cars a day.
would rather, be satisfied with, thanks to, insist on, care about, refer to, lead a ...life, exchange for, rid of 1) He got the first prize in the speech contest. His teacher _________ his performance. 2) It is really a hot day. I _________ stay in the house with air-conditioning than go out shopping. 3) Please________ the last page of the book for answers after doing the exercises. 4) _________ your help, we could finish the task on time. 5) Most of the people in remote mountainous area ________ _________ poor _______. 6) Next week I will fly to Britain on business. Now I want to ________ some RMB yuan __________ British pounds. 7) When a child knows that he __________, he feels safe and secure. 8) The girl struggled to__________ herself _________ her fears. 9) Some schools _________ their students wearing school uniforms.
1. 毕业后，他宁愿留在上海而不愿回家乡。 He ______ _____ stay in Shanghai ______ return to his hometown after his graduation. 2. 多亏了他的杂交水稻，农民们种出的粮食比之前多一倍。 _____ ____ his hybrid rice, farmers are producing harvests ____ ____ ___ as before. 3. 农民对今年的稻谷产量很满意。 Farmers ______ quite ______ ______ this year’s ______ of rice. 4. 在非洲，政府都在努力让人民摆脱饥饿。 In Africa, governments are trying to ______ the people______ ______. 5. 他们集中精力想保持土壤肥沃且免受病害 They _______ ______ keeping their soil rich and ______ ________disease.
6. 他为了自由而斗争。They _____ _______ the freedom. 7. 最终他们到达了被称作新美洲的地方。 At last, they reached ______ _____ _____ the New America. 8. 很抱歉地说我不能帮你的忙。I that I cannot help you.
1.The black people have never stopped their struggle _______ unfair treatment(不公正对待). A. against B. for c. on D. to
2. He got completely A. confusing 3.
when he saw both Lucy and Lily, who are twin sisters. B. confused C. confuse D. confuses
my English teacher, I have become what I am. A. Thanks for B. Thank to C. Thanks to D. Thank for
4. Nowadays the whole world ________ peace. A. hunger for B. has a hunger for C. hungry for D. have a hunger for
5. She was__________ the result. We knew it from her ________ look. A. satisfying with; satisfied C. satisfied with; satisfying B. satisfied with; satisfied D. satisfying with; satisfying
1． 这个战士受了重伤，但最后还是挣扎着站了起来。 （struggle） ____________________________________________________________ 2． 正如所报道的那样，西部地区的学生应受到更好的教育。 （equip with） _____________________________________________________________ 3． 总有一天我们会有办法使这样可怕的疾病在世界上绝迹。(rid of) _____________________________________________________________ 4． 因为对我的话感到满意，我母亲同意我和我的同学去游泳。(satisfy) _____________________________________________________________ 5． 练习中国功夫不仅可以强身健体，而且还可以培养人的性格。(build up) ______________________________________________________________
1. A: Compared with maths I like English better. B: I _______ English ______ maths. 2. A: Even if he dies he won’t give in. B: He ________ ______ die ______ give in. 3. A: We should save the sick free from pain. B: We should ______ the sick _____ pain. 4.A: He doesn’t like to live a comfortable life. B: He doesn’t ______ _____ living a comfortable life. 5. A: Dr Yuan has spent all his time on his research. B: Dr Yuan has ______ all his time ______ his research.
1. Looking forward to hear from you soon . 2. Some of them even waste time in class played video games.
3. I hardly remember my grandmother. She used to holding me on her knees and sing old songs. 4. Have tea in the late afternoon provides a bridge between lunch and dinner, which might not be served until 8 o’clock at night. 5. After think for some time, I let her copy my answers.
1. –You were brave enough to raise objections at the meeting. -Well, now I regret ______ that. A. to do B. to be doing C. to have done D. having done 2. Vitamin B and C help to your resistance. A. set up B. give up C. build up D.stand up 3. He got completely when he saw both Lucy and Lily, who are twin sisters. A. confusing B. confused C. confuse D. confuses 4. —Would you rather ________ there tomorrow? —No. I’d rather he ________ there instead of me. A．to go；will go B．go；went C．go；will go D．going；shall go 5. The officers narrowly escaped in the hot battle. A. have killed B. to kill C. to be killed D. being killed 6. Though it sounds a bit too dear, it is worth _______. A. being bought B. buying C. to buy D. buying it. 7. If I ruled the world, I would _______ the world ______ everything that is bad. A. get rid of; by B. be rid of; by C. rid; of D. get rid; of 8. As is known to all, oranges are _______ Vitamin C. A. rich in B. poor with C. short of D. good for 9. The boss is quite _____ with his_____ ability. A. satisfied; satisfied B. satisfying; satisfying C. satisfied; satisfying D. satisfying; satisfied 10. It is reported that the United States uses ___ energy as the whole of Europe. A. as twice B. twice much C. twice much as D. twice as much 11. In some parts of London，missing a bus means _______for another hour． A. waiting B．to wait C．wait D．to be waiting 12. Progress so far has been very good. , we are sure that the project will be completed on time. A. However B. Otherwise C. Therefore D. Besides 13．China has successfully sent up the Shenzhou Ⅶ spacecraft into space ________with sophisticated devices of science and technology. A．to be equipped B．equipped C．equipping D．having been equipped 14．There was a________ look on his face when he met with the ________ problem. A．confusing；confusing B．confused；confused C．confusing；confused D．confused；confusing 15． While shopping， people sometimes can’t help ________into buying something they don’t really need.
A．to persuade B．persuading C．being persuaded D．be persuaded 16. Luckily for us, when we got there the weather _______ to be fine. A. turned up B. turned out C. turned over D. turned into 17. Having heard my answer, the master nodded _______ satisfaction, ―I’m quite satisfied _____you.‖ A. with; with B. on; by C. in; to D. in; of 18. —The matter must be looked into. — We are supposed to have a little ________ . A. rain B. weather C. patience D. look
Yuan Longping, the father of super hybrid rice, has________（奋斗）for the past five decades for the Chinese farmers. In 1953 when Dr Yuan graduated from college, _______（饥 饿） was a disturbing problem in many parts of the countryside._______ （因此） , Yuan wanted to help _________ （ 摆 脱 ） his motherland of hunger by increasing the rice output without__________ （扩张） the area of the fields and he made it. Dr. Yuan’s another dream is to _________（出口） his rice to the world. __________（多亏）Dr Yuan, the UN has more tools in the battle against hunger throughout the world. Dr Yuan is quite ________(satisfy) with his life.
Yuan Longping, 1. _______ grows what is called super hybrid rice, was born into a poor farmer’s family in 1930. When he was young he found 2. ________(hungry) was a 3._________ (disturb) problem in many parts of the countryside. So he searched for a way to increase rice harvests without 4..________( expand) the area of the fields. In 1974, he 5._______(become) the first agricultural pioneer in the world to grow rice that has 6. ________ high output. This special strain of rice makes 7.________possible to produce one-third more of the crop in the same fields. Thanks to his research, the UN has more tools in the battle to rid the world 8._______hunger. Yuan Longping is quite satisfied with his life. He feels being famous gives him 9.________(little) freedom to do his research, and he also cares little about money. He 10.________gives millions of yuan to equip others for their research in agriculture.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。