Unit 3 A taste of English humour
The Gold Rush
Style of humour
Sketch/ Funny plays
Style of humour
popular humorous novelist
(funny poems) famous
Mr. Bean is funny because he makes funny faces, he acts silly, he seems to be quite stupid, and the things he does are strange.
Ma Ji is a well-known artist of crosstalk shows in China. His crosstalk shows always make his audience shout with laughter.
ways to make
Words actions Cross-dressing make-up body language facial expression
How many kinds of humor do you know?
cross talk; tongue twisters;
funny poems; funny stories; jokes; limerick; mime ; farce ; clown
Discussion: Is humour helpful? Why?
? Make people happy
? Let people think about life ? Give people determination to get through difficulties
? A kind of wisdom in life
1. What do you know about Charlie Chaplin? 2. What do you know about his film? What is so interesting about them?
a small black hat a moustache
a _____ poor and ___________ homeless person.
very wide trousers
3. Look at the title and write down your idea in one sentence. Then skim the passage and see if you were right. The whole text introduces a worldfamous actor---Charlie Chaplie and his excellent performances, making us understand more about nonverbal humour.
Reading A MASTER OF NONVERBAL HUMOUR
The main idea of each paragraph Paragraph 1: Why people needed cheering up Paragraph 2: What Charlie’s childhood was like Paragraph 3: What his most famous character was like
An example of a sad situation that he made funny Paragraph 5:
Para 2: Finish the chart.
Childhood What happened Things His parents taught him ______ sing as soon as he could dance as soon speak and _______ as he could walk.
His father _____, died leaving the family even worse off ___________.
Charlie became one of the most popular child ______ actors in England through his ________. humour
Complete the notes about Charlie Chaplin.
Born Job Type of acting Character Costume 1889 actor mime little tramp, a poor and homeless person large trousers, worn-out shoes, small round black hat and a walking stick
Reason for success
charming, social failure with a determination to overcome difficulties and always kind 1977
Para 4: Put the events in the right order.
( 6 )Chaplin tried cutting and eating the bottom of
( 1 )Chaplin and his friend washed sand and expected to pick up gold, but they failed. ( 3 )They were so hungry that they boiled a pair of leather shoes.
( 2 )They were caught in a small wooden house. ( 5 )Chaplin cut off the leather top of the shoe. ( 4 )Chaplin picked out the laces and ate.
True or false?
1. Charlie Chaplin was poor when he was a small boy. T 2. People who don’t know English cannot enjoy Chaplin’s films. F 3. The Gold Rush is set in California in the late of the nineteenth century. F
4. In The Gold Rush Chaplin and his F friend are fortunate to find some gold . 5. In the film the meal he eats is hard to
chew. T 6. Chaplin not only acted in films but wrote and directed films as well. T
Choose the best answer.
1. How do you understand the sentence “Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.”? C A. Laughter is the power to drive winter away and welcome warm spring. B. Laughter can keep one’s face warm, especially during freezing winter. C. Laughter can make people forget their problems and make them feel happy.
2. The Gold Rush, one of Chaplin’s most famous
films, was made in ____. A
A. America B. Britain
C. Canada A. in the 1750s
C. in the 1890s
D. Australia B. in the 1850s
D. in the 1950s
B 3. The story of The Gold Rush happened ____.
4. In The Gold Rush, Chaplin and his
friend eat a pair of shoes because ___. D
A. they are interested in it
B. the shoes are delicious
C. they want to make the people
laugh D. they are very hungry
5. Which is NOT true? C A. Charlie was a master of non-verbal humor. B. Charlie showed humanity and kindness in his movies. C. Charlie was a social failure, so he could play that character well. D. Charlie must have experienced sad situations when he was a child.
6. People enjoy seeing other people’s bad C luck because _________. A. they enjoy doing so. B. it makes people more worried about their life. C. it makes people more content with their life. D. there’s much fun in doing so.
7. The Little Tramp is well known because ____. D A. Chaplin played a poor and homeless person. B. The character was social failure. C. Chaplin wore large trousers, worn-out shoes and a small round black hat and carried a walking stick. D. Chaplin play a role as a man who determined to overcome difficulties and was kind even when people were unkind to him.
8. Chaplin was given a special Oscar for
A. the characters he played in his films.
B. the films he directed.
C. the joy he gave us in his films. D. the contributions he made in films.
9. What’s the main idea of the text? C
A. The history of English humour.
B. The films that Chaplin made.
C. The humour Chaplin made in his films. D. The Gold Rush in California.
10. What’s the author’s attitude to Charlie Charplin? D A. positive B. negative C. serious D. appreciative The writer mentioned that Charplin’s character “little tramp” is charming and lovable, and he won an Oscar for a lifetime of outstanding work, which proves that the writer likes Charplin and appreciates his work.
1. What’s behind fun?
Not all humour is kind. Although we also laugh when we see someone slide on a banana skin, it’s really dangerous to those who slide on the banana skin, especially to those old people. So when we think about it we will find it’s not funny.
2. Why did people like The Little Tramp? Because it gives people courage to overcome difficulties. 3. Do you think Chaplin’s eating boiled shoes funny? Why? Yes. Because he made the terrible situation “real” for his audience. And he was able to show the humanity and kindness in the most difficult circumstances.
4. Why could Charlie Chaplin make terrible
situations (like poverty and starvation) funny?
Because he had experienced the bad situation
and made them “real” for his audience.
5. Why did he get a special Oscar?
Because of his outstanding work in films and
life long contribution.
Fill in the blanks.
Do you find it funny to see someone ______ sliding on a Banana ____, skin ________ bumping into someone else round a corner or ______ falling down a hole in the road? If you do, _______, cruel Perhaps you are not alone _____. Some humour can be_____.
it makes us feel more content ______ with our life because we
feel there is someone else ______ ourselves. worse ____than off poverty in 1889 and at Charlie Chaplin was born in _______ that time films were ______. silent He became famous for particular form of acting, including _______ using a _________ mime farce and ______.
We should be optimistic(乐观) no matter what difficulties you meet with, just as Charlie
Set up an aim
Do our best
Pay more time then others
Never give up/ lose heart
Insist on what we pursue
“To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain, and play with it!”
1. Finish Exe. 1. & 2. on Page 20, all
exercises on Page 21.
2. Try to write a happy ending for the
film The Gold Rush.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。