Words and expressions
v. 尊重, 尊敬
as far as I know
not any more
adj. 每月一次的, 每月的
Complete the sentences with the correct form of the words in the box in Activity 1. 1. Teahouse is a(n) _____ by Lao She. play 2. The Tang poems are great works ______ of Chinese literature. 3. Confucius was a great ________. thinker 4. Confucius is known for his ____ wise thoughts. 5. Mark Twain is Mr Jackson's favorite writer ______. 6. Confucius' ________ are mainly thoughts found in Lunyu.
Work in pairs. Match the words in the box with the people in the pictures.
great influence poem respect thinker thought writer
play story wise
Check your answer.
great, influence, respect thinker, thought, wise
play, poem, writer
Listen and read.
Mr. Jackson : Hello, Betty. What’s up? What are you doing in the library? Betty: I was looking for some old copies of the school magazine. If I’ve got it right, it was called New Standard. Mr. Jackson : That’s right. As far as I remember, it was started by Becky Wang. We don’t have a school magazine any more. It’s a pity. Betty: Well, I’m thinking about starting it again. Mr. Jackson : Sounds like a good idea! Go on. Betty: I was also looking for something by Confucius and by Shakespeare.
Mr. Jackson :Really? That’s a bit difficult for the school magazine. Betty: Well, I’d like a monthly article called ―Great Books‖ – you know, someone reads a favourite work of literature and writes an article about it.
Mr. Jackson : I see. Confucius’ works are still read by many people today, and we ’re still influenced by his thoughts. And Shakespeare’s plays are seen by millions of people every year. But how about an American writer ,Mark Twain, for example? Betty: I don’t know . Mark Twain was an important writer ,but he isn’t known as a great thinker like Confucius.
Mr. Jackson :No, but his books are still popular. In fact, he wrote my favourite book The Adventure of Tom Sawyer. Perhaps that’s what makes ―Great Books‖ - they ’re still read today. Betty: So why don’t you write the first article on ―Great Books‖?
Now listen again and check. 1. Who do you think Mr. Jackson is? Maybe he’s a teacher. 2. What was Betty looking for in the library? Why? Some old copies of the school magazine. Because she was thinking about starting it again. 3. What does Betty think of Mark Twain’s books? Quite well. 4. What is Mr. Jackson’s opinion of what a great book is? One is still read a long time after it was written.
What’s up? 什么事? It’s a pity. 真遗憾. Sounds like a good idea!听起来是个好主意! Go on. 继续 Really? 真的么? I see. 我明白了.
Key points: 1. It was called… 它叫做…… 2. as far as 就……来说 3. did not…any more… 不再…… 4. think about sth./doing sth. 考虑 5. sound like+名/形容词 听起来 6. monthly每月的/monthly meeting每月的会议 7. millions of 好几百万 8. is known as 作为……而出名
1. Confucius’ works are still read by many people today, and… 现在, 仍然有许多人研读孔子的论著…… ① work n. (常复数) 作品 ② work v. 做工作 He has read many of Zheng Yuanjie’s works. 他读过许多鲁迅的作品。 David works for the BBC. 戴维为英国广播公司工作。
2. …, and we’re still influenced by his thoughts. ……我们仍深受他思想的影响。 ① influence vt. 影响 ② influence n. 影响(力); 作用 I don’t want to influence you. You must decide for yourself. 我不想影响你。你必须自行决定。 His first music teacher was a major influence in his life. 他的第一位音乐老师在他一生中产生过重要 影响。 What exactly is the influence of the television on children? 电视对儿童究竟有什么影响？
3. As far as I remember, it was started by Becky Wang. 就凭我记忆来说, 它是由贝基· 王创办的。 as far as ①远至……；一直到…… ②就……来说，至于 They walked as far as the lake. 他们一直走到湖边。 He isn’t coming today, as far as I know. 据我所知，他今天不来了。
4. ..., but he isn’t known as a great thinker like Confucius. ……, 但他不像孔子那样作为伟大的思想 家而闻名于世。 be known as … 表示“作为……而出名/闻 名，被认为是……‖。 Yang Liping is known as a great dancer. 杨丽萍是公认的出色的舞蹈家。 Lin Shuhao is known as a basketball player. 林书豪作为篮球运动员而闻名。
5. We don’t have a school magazine any more. 我们不再有校刊了。 not … any more 不再……
She doesn’t go any more, but she used to go twice a week. 她不再去了, 但过去她每周去两次。
Why don’t you call me any more?
6. …, someone reads a favourite work of literature and writes an article about it. ……, 人们读完一本喜欢的文学作品并且 写一篇关于这本著作的文章。 literature n. ①文学; 文学作品 ②文献, 图书资料 He majors in Russian literature. 他主修俄罗斯文学。 She went through the literature on the subject. 她查阅有关这个主题的资料。
7. respect vt. ①尊敬, 敬重[(+for/as)] ②尊重, 重视 He is highly respected by everyone for his integrity. 他因清廉而深受大家的尊敬。 I respected their moral standards. 我尊重他们的道德标准。
Listen and repeat. Confucius’ works are still read / by Many people today, / and we’re, still Tips: 听的时候注意把握意群及断句位置。 influenced / by his thoughts. / And Shakespeare’s plays are seen / by millions of people every year. Now say the sentences aloud.
本课时主要句型 What’s up? I’ve got it right. Sounds like a good idea! Go on. I see. I don’t know. I agree/I don’t agree with … I think…
本课时主要短语 as far as not … any more, even if be influenced by … millions of … be known as …
注: word 文档 点击此处链接
一、单项填空。 1. ______ we know, they will arrive at eight o’clock. A. As far B. So far C. As far as D. Far as 2. Lu Xun _______ a great writer. A. is know as B. is known as C. known for D. is known for
二、根据句意及首字母提示完成句子。 1. Mark Twain isn’t known as a great t______ like Confucius. hinker 2. We’re still i_________ by Confucius’ nfluenced thoughts. 3. I’d like a m_____ article called ―Great onthly Book‖. 4. It’s one of the greatest books in American l________. iterature
三、根据汉语提示完成下列句子。 1. 据我们所知，下周将举行运动会。 __ __ as As far__ we know, the sports meeting will be held next week. 2. 他看了看我，继续玩电脑游戏。 He looked at me and went on playing ____ __ computer games.
3. 不要哭了！你不再是一个小孩了。 Don’t cry! You _____ a child ___ _____. aren’t any more 4. 据说, 数百万印度人掀起了学英语热。 It is said that millions of Indians rush _______ __ to learn English. 5. —你最好明天回家。 —我不同意。 —You’d better go home tomorrow. agree ____ —I don’t _____ with you.
Learn the new words and expressions by heart.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。