Keep It Up, Xie Lei
Chinese student fitting in well
motherland n. 祖国 visa n. 签证 queue n. 队列；行列 vi. 排队 cafeteria n. 自助食堂; 自助餐厅 lectu
re n. & vi. 演讲; 讲课 qualification n. 资格; 资历 preparation n. 准备; 预备 recommend vt. 推荐; 建议
Words preview shopkeeper n. 店主 idiom n. 习语；成语 comfort n. 舒适; 安慰 vt. 安慰 substitute n. 代替者; 代用品 vt. 用……代替…… academic adj. 学校的; 学术的 requirement n. 需要；要求 essay n. 文章；散文 tutor n. 导师；助教；家庭教师
Words preview revision n. 复查；修正；复习 draft n. 草稿；草案 vt. 草拟；起草 numb adj. 麻木的; 失去知觉的 acknowledge vt. 承认; 确认; 答谢 contradict vt. 反驳；驳斥 autonomous adj. 自主的；独立的 occupy vt. 占用；占领；占据 enterprise n. 事业; 事业心
Expressions preview adjust to 适应；调节 keep it up 保持优秀成绩; 继续干下去 fit in 相适应; 相融合 as far as one is concerned 就……而言 be occupied with 忙着做……； 忙于某事物
Skimming to get general ideas
Reading Comprehension I
What is the main idea of the passage? Give one sentence to describe it. It talks about the Chinese student Xie Lei’s experience in the UK.
Reading Comprehension II 1. Xie Lei’s purpose of going to London is__. A. for a travelling B. for seeing her friends C. for a business qualification D. for finding a new job 2. ____ have helped Xie Lei most since she came to England. A. Her classmates B. Her friends C. Her host family and teachers D. Her family
Careful reading to solve difficult points
1. recommend vt.
(1) 推荐; 赞许 He recommended a book to his students. (2) 劝告; 建议 + Ving + S + to do I recommend buying that pen.
The doctor recommended his patient to go out for a walk.
allow/advise/forbid/permit等。 (3) recommend 表示主观判断，推测，建
2. comfort n. 舒适; 安慰
You are a great comfort to your parents. 你是父母最大的安慰。 comfort 常用短语 be of good comfort 振作起来; 鼓起勇气 give comfort to 安慰
comfort: vt. 安慰
She comforted the sick child.
I tried to comfort Joan after her
3. substitute n. 代替者；代用品 We can use plastics as a substitute for steel. 我们可以用塑料做钢的代用品。 vt. 用……替代…… The coach substituted Smith for Jones. 教练让史密斯上场，换下了琼斯。
4. occupy vt. 占用; 占领; 占据
Many troubles occupy his mind. 许多烦恼盘据在他的心头。 occupy的习惯用语 be occupied in 正在(做某事) occupy oneself with/in 从事于......; 忙于...... ;专心于......
Read the passage quickly to find the main idea of each paragraph.
Para.1 Xie Lei, a Chinese girl, came to study in London. Para.2 Xie Lei’s preparation year.
Para.3 Xie Lei’s difficulty getting used to new way of life. Para.4 Benefits living with a host family.
Para.5 Benefits of her preparation course.
Para.6 Xie Lei’s new plan.
Para.7 The author’s best wish for Xie Lei.
Scanning to get detail information
Reading Comprehension III
1. Why did Xie Lei choose to live with a host family? A. She felt lonely being away from her parents. B. She couldn’t afford to live in student apartments. C. There were other college students in a host family. D. It was better for her to learn about the new culture and make her life easy.
2. What will Xie Lei do to fit in well? A. Try to avoid being homesick. B. Take part in more social activities. C. Make some new friends. D. Spend more time studying. 3. We can learn from the passage Xie Lei is ____. A. timid. B. brave C. determined D. honest
Reading Comprehension IV 1. Why is she doing a preparation course first? 2. Why did Xie Lei feel like a child when she first arrived in England? 3. Why has Xie Lei decided to join a few clubs?
1. Why is she doing a preparation course first? Because studying in England is different from studying in China and she needs to learn about these differences and improve her English.
2. Why did Xie Lei feel like a child when she first arrived in England? Because she had to learn how to do everyday things like using a telephone, paying on a bus, finding her way around a strange city; understanding English as spoken in real life; learning how to write essays acceptable to her British lecturer.
3. Why has Xie Lei decided to join a few clubs? Because she thinks it’s important to have a balance between study and a social life, and she wants to make new friends.
Reading Comprehension V Read the text again and fill in the diagram below. Benefits of doing a preparation course ________________ of having a tutor ________________
of living with a host family _____________________________
at the university ______________ ______________
of a new way of life ________________ ________________
of doing a preparation course _____________________________ 1. to learn how to fulfil Western academic requirements _____________________________ _____________________________ 2. to get used to a new way of life and improve her English _____________________________
of living with a host family ____________________________ 1. to learn more about everyday
life and customs _____________________________
_____________________________ 2. to have people to explain things not understood _____________________________
of having a tutor ____________________________ 1. to explain about why you cannot
use other people’s work without _____________________________
acknowledging it _____________________________ 2. to encourage you to express your ____________________________ own ideas with reasons ——————————————
at the university
1. learning to read widely and ____________________________ analyse the texts _____________________________ _____________________________ 2. expressing one’s own opinion with reasons. _____________________________
of a new way of life
1. finding a balance between study ____________________________ and a social life _____________________________
2. making new friends ___________________________
In groups, discuss the following questions. 1 What kind of person do you think Xie Lei is? Find evidence in the article to support your opinion. 2 Why do you think the reporter used some direct speech in the article? 3 Where do you think this article might
have been published?
In groups, make a list of problems that the article mentions Xie Lei had when she first went to England. Summarize what you would do if you had the same problems in England.
Xie lei’s problems 1. understanding and using everyday English 2. reaching the academic requirements of a Western university 3. making new friends
Your solutions 1. listening to the radio or watching television to become accustomed to everyday English 2. asking your tutor for advice before you start your academic writing
3. joining a lot of university societies
When Xie Lei studies abroad, where does she stay? What kind of living ways do you want to choose if you have a chance to study abroad? A. Live with other students: Make friends with students from different countries and know more about the world.
B. Home stay: (Live with a host family)
Learn more about the
culture in that country.
Quiz I Summary Fill in the blanks according to the passage.
Xie Lei _______ a plane for London six months ago to complete a business ___________. She is now halfway through the __________ year. At the beginning, she had to learn almost everything again. She lives with a ____ family, which gives her the __________ to learn more about everyday life and ________ in her new country.
She wrote her first ______ to her______, but she only got an E. Now she has __________ the life and she feels much more _________ and is going to join a few university _____ in order to have a _______ between study and a social life. We wish Xie lei all the best with her_________.
Xie Lei boarded a plane for London six _______ months ago to complete a business ___________. She is now halfway through qualification preparation the __________ year. At the beginning, she had to learn almost everything again. She host lives with a ____ family, which gives her the opportunity to learn more about everyday __________ life and ________ in her new country. customs
essay tutor She wrote her first ______ to her______, but she only got an E. Now she has __________ the life and she feels much got used to more _________ and is going to join a few at home balance university clubs in order to have a _______ _____ between study and a social life. We wish Xie lei all the best with her_________. enterprise
1. Xie Lei, _________________ (21岁), who is 21 years old has come to our university to study for a business qualification. 2. He wanted to know what I thought, _________________(把我弄糊涂了) which confused me because I thought that the author of the article knew far more than I did.
Suppose you are Xie Lei. Please write a passage within 100 words beginning with "When I came to England for the first time, it was hard for me to get used to ...”.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。