Country music & The Beatles
乡村音乐是土生土长的美国音乐，体现 了浓郁的美国南方民间音乐的风格。传 统的乡村音乐从19世纪的弦乐曲和传统 叙事歌中发展而来，他的一个显著特点 就是，不受性别和年龄限制，也不受时 间地点的限制，一把
吉他，外加班卓琴 和口琴乐器的伴奏，歌手便可以尽情抒 发他们心中的快乐和忧愁
The Beatles, 披头士乐队, 又译甲壳虫乐队, 毫无疑问是流行音乐界历史上最伟大，最 有影响力，最为成功的乐队。披头士乐队 对于流行音乐的革命性的发展与影响力无 人可出其右，对于世界范围内摇滚的发展 做出了非常巨大的贡献，影响了自60年代 以后的数代摇滚乐队的音乐和思想，直接 影响了摇滚乐的变革和发展，在英国，披
的音乐家，特别是约翰· 列侬(John Lennon)
和保罗· 麦卡特尼(Paul McCartney)，对于
化入侵浪潮，从根本上冲击了美国音乐 的基础，彻底埋葬了“猫王”埃尔维 斯· 普雷斯利(Elvis Presley)的王朝，统治 了美国唱片市场，并影响了此后美国本 土流行音乐的发展道路.
Read the following statements and make your predictions. Write B for The Beatles and CM for Country Music.
___ CM 1) It is a major kind of American popular music. ___ B 2) They voiced young men’s emotions and the philosophy of the time. B 3) They were influenced by ___ Afro-American rhythm and blues as well as Indian music and religion.
___ CM 4) It has a simple style and it is relaxing to listen to. ___ B 5) They never copied anyone, and they created their own rich and original music. ___ CM 6) It commonly reflects the lives of ordinary, working-class people and covers such subjects as love and relationships, loneliness, religion, and work.
Read the two passages again and choose the
best answer to each of the following questions.
1. Which of the following subjects is NOT covered in the lyrics country music? A. Love and loneliness. B. Good luck and poverty. C. Work and religion. D. Relationships.
2. Which of the following is true according to the first passage? A.Country music became popular as early as 1920s B.Country music has a simple style and simple lyrics C.The lyrics of country music contain no more than 150 words. D.Country music is also an important form to show American culture.
3. Which of the following cannot be found in the Beatle’s music and songs? A.The feelings of young people B.The signs of being influenced by the religion of India. C.Protesting against the injustice and inequality of society D.The blues.
4. Which of the following is NOT the
secret to the success of the Beatles? A.They believed in their own talent. B.They expressed the philosophy of youth in an optimistic way. C.They voiced the anger of young men of the time in songs. D.They created rich melodies.
Name Theme Music style Hit music or songs
Country love, loneliness, Take Me Home, simple religion and work Country Roads music
young men’s The personal problems, noisy Beatles such as love, sorrow, and luck.
It mirrors the concerns, achievements Country and lifestyle of the times. It also music remains an important form of American cultural expression. It voices the emotions and philosophy The . time. It was listed of the youth at that Beatles as No.3 among the 100 world celebrities in Forbes.
1. This basic aspect comes from the fact that it is based mainly on lyrical content rather than musical content. 它基本上是注重歌词的内容而不 是音乐的内容。
(1) be based on… 意为“以……为基 础, 建立在……基础上” This song is based on an old folk tune. The book is based on a true story.
(2) rather than 意为“与其……不 如……; 不是……而是……”
1) 此短语可作介词, 等于instead of, in place of。
e.g. I have used familiar English name rather than scientific Latin ones. Rather than permitting us to wait, he forced us to do it at once. 2) 在并列句结构中, 用作连词, 等于and not。 e.g. They asked young people to think and reason rather than just sit and listen. Why do one thing rather than another?
2. The lyrics commonly reflect the lives of ordinary, working-class Americans and cover such subjects as love… 乡村音乐的歌词通常所反映的是美国普通 的劳动人民的生活, 涉及的主题有爱情…… cover 在此句中意为“谈到、包含、涉及” e.g. The discussion covered a wide range of subjects. His studies covered a wild field.
[归纳] v. cover 的用法 A. 覆盖，遮盖 Dust covered all the furniture. The mountain is covered with snow all the year round. B. 走过(一段路程)，看完(多少页) They covered twelve miles yesterday. How many pages have you covered?
C. 有(多少面积), 有(多长时间) The city covered ten square miles. Recorded history covered a period of five thousand years. D. 报道(与……有关的消息) The best reporters were sent to cover the war. The paper covers sports thoroughly.
3. Country music tends to mirror the concerns, achievements and lifestyles of the times, and remains an important form of American cultural expression. 乡村音乐常反映出时代的焦点、成就 和生活方式，所以一直是美国文化的 一种重要表现形式。
(1) tend to do… 易于…… ,容
易……, 倾向于…… He tends to get angry when
people are against his plan.
Sally tends to talk freely in
(2) times 在此句中意为“时代”，也 可用单数形式。 The times are different. (时代不同 了） She didn’t understand the spirit of the times. (时代的精神) In Shakespeare’s time there were no actress on the English stage. (在 莎士比亚时代)
4. The early songs of Beatles were simple love songs and their later songs were under the influence of the music and religion of India. 甲壳虫乐队早期的歌曲是一些简单的爱 情歌曲，但后来受到了印度音乐和宗教
(1) have an influence on… 对……有影响 The book has a great influence on his life.
Religion has a great influence on man’s
(2) under the influence of… 在……的影响下
Under the influence of his father, his
decided to take up the study of medicines.
[扩展] have an effect on 对……有影响/有效果 It had such a bad/good effect on him. This had a great effect upon the future of both mother and son. The medicine had no effect on the patient.
5. The Beatles believed in their talents and never copied anyone, thus they created melodies rich an original enough for other famous hands to play and sing. 甲壳虫乐队相信自己的才能，从不抄袭 他人之作，因此，他们创作了很多风格 各异的原创歌曲，足以让别的著名乐队 来演奏和演唱。
1) believe in 相信, 信赖, 信仰, 后 跟 n. / pron. / doing sth. , 表示 对某人的信任，对真理宗教的 信仰。 e.g. She didn’t believe in him. 她不信任他。 Do you believe in God?
2) believe 相信, 认为(多为相信某 人所说的话)
e.g. I believe the boy.
I just couldn’t believe my eyes.
I believe him. = I believe what he says. 我相信他(的话)。
I believe in him. = I believe that he is an honest man. 我信任他(为人可靠)
copyright ©right 2010-2020。