Book 4 Unit 1 Women of achievement
There're many great women in our history.
She was the only female monarch(君主) of China, and remains the most remarkable(非凡的), in
fluential(有影响的) and mysterious(神秘 的) woman in Chinese history.
Empress(女皇) Wu Zetian
(624 - 705)
in Tang Dynasty
She was Dr Sun Yat-sen's wife. ? She concerned herself with welfare projects(福利工 程), especially the China Welfare Institute (中国福 利基金会)for women and children.
? welfare ['welfε?] ? project ['pr?d?ekt] ? institute ['institju:t]
n. 福利；福利事业 n. 工程；项目 n. 学会；学院；协会
Do you know her?
She's a heroine or a devil ?
Joan of Arc 圣女贞德
? Joan of Arc was dressed as a man . ? She fought against the English, but fought for the French. ? Unluckily, she was put to death by the English when she was only 19. ? She is a great woman, A HEROINE.
Listening 1: Part 1
? ? ? ? ? ? ? b 1. Joan's country: _____ a. England b. France c. Italy c 2. Why did she join the army? a. for honor b. for her family c. for her country a 3. Her enermy: _____ a. English b. Franch c. Italian 4. How did she help? She joined the French army. She’s a very good soldier and she won battles against English army.
Listening 1: Part 2
? 1. That's because she believed god had sent _______ her. She had many good ideas and the French followed soldiers __________ her. ? 2. The English soldiers were very _______. angry They caught Joan and the church said that she had not _________ as a woman should. So behaved they killed her. _______ ? 3. Much ________ they ________ that she later understood fighting was _________ for her country. The church made her a saint.
In China, there's also a woman just like Joan of Arch
? She was dressed as a man. ? She joined the army and fought for her country. ? Who's she? ? Can you tell the story?
What kind of person is Hua Mulan?
Hua Mulan is ___________________, because ________________________________________. Referring words: hard-working, energetic, active, determined, clever, brave, confident, selfless, modest(谦虚的), considerate（考虑周到的）, warm-hearted, devoted （忠诚的）, generous
Discuss in groups. It is said that “it is more difficult for a woman to be successful”. Do you agree or disagree? State your reasons.
1. Listen to the tape and tell TRUE or FALSE. 1) Girls have more difficulty getting an
education than boys.
2) Women have more difficulty getting to the top of their chosen career. F
3) Women are not likely to give up their careers to look after children or run the house. T
2. Listen once more and fill in the blanks. prevents 1) This way of thinking _________ some girls career from training for a _________.
2) Unless women are given the opportunity they ___________, will never be able to show that they can run ________ __________ successfully. companies responsibilities 3) These are women’s ____________ while men do not have this problem. They can work long hours trips ________ and go on__________ __________. business
copyright ©right 2010-2020。