Some songs about friendship
? ? ? ? Cry on My Shoulder Shining Friends You’ve Got a Friend You Raise Me up
Some proverbs about friendship
?A friend in need is a friend indeed. ?患难见真情。 ?A life without a friend is a life without the sun. ?人生没有朋友，犹如生活没有太阳。 ?Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light. ?与朋友结伴黑暗中胜于独行于阳光下！ ?Friends are like wine; the older, the better. ?友谊像美酒,越陈越醇厚.
Discuss the following questions in your group:
1. Do you have a friend? 2. Does a friend always have to be a person? 3. Why do we need friends? 4. What qualities do you think a good friend should have?
We need friends to…
? ? cope with stressful situations in life share our worries and secrets in our inner world show our concern for other people let other people share our happiness unfold to other people the secrets in our heart
? ? ?
A good friend should be…
outgoing trustworthy warm-hearted careful full of love interesting helpful patient brave good-tempered A good friend
friendly easy-going generous open-minded tolerant intelligent responsible unselfish
What do you do to be a good friend?
Are you good to your friends?
Situation 1: You want to Situation 2: see a very interesting film with your friend, but your friend can’t go until he/ she finishes cleaning Situation 3: asks to borrow your favorite camera. When Your friend the bicycle. What will you do? he/she borrowed time, he/she broke and youso Situation 4: comes it Your friend tolast school very upset. The it bell rings had to get in repaired. What you do now? Your friend has gone on holiday and asked you to take you need to go to class. What will will you do? Situation 5: dog. While walking the dog, you were care of his/her careless and it got loose and was hit by a Your car. The dog’s You are taking your end-of-term exam. friend, leg was broken. You willasks you to help him/her cheat who doesn’t work hard, in the exam by looking at your paper. What will you do?
1. Who is the main character in the story? Anne, a girl born in a Jewish family. 2. When did the story happen? During World War Ⅱ. 3. Where did Anne live then? Anne lived in Amsterdam in the Netherlands at that time.
Skim the reading passage and answer the following questions
4. What was Anne’s best friend at that time? What did Anne call it? Her dairy. She called it Kitty. 5. Why did Anne’s family have to hide away during World War Ⅱ? A. They thought it was exciting to hide away.. B. They were afraid of being caught by the German Nazis. 6. For how long had they hidden away before they were discovered? A. a year and a half. B. two years C. nearly 25 months. D. half a year
7. About how long had Anne and her family been in the hiding place when she wrote this part of her diary? Nearly 2 years. 8. Why did Anne stay awake until half past eleven one evening? A. because she couldn’t fall asleep in the house. B. because she wanted to see the moon by herself. C. because she was too frightened.
8. Why did she said that she had grown crazy about everything to do with nature in her diary? A.She’d enjoyed being outdoors since she was child B.She hadn’t been able to be outdoors for a very long time, so she missed it very much.
9. Why did Anne say that it was no pleasure looking at the nature through the curtains in the house ? A. because the curtains are too dirty. B. because she couldn’t see it clearly through them. C. because she thought that nature is something that should be experienced.
World War II
The Second World War and 纳粹正对着屠杀后幸存的妇女进行扫射 被毒死的犹太人的衣服和鞋子 纳粹屠杀犹太人的真实场景 纳粹逼迫犹太人离开他们的家园 犹太人排队进入后面的毒气室 被关在集中营中的犹太人 纳粹正在建设集中营 the Nazi crime
? This is a true story. It took place in Amsterdam, Holland in the early 1940s after the German Nazis had occupied most of Europe. The Nazi Party ruled Germany from 1933 to 1945. One of their key policies was to kill all the Jews in Europe. If any persons known to be Jews were found, they would be sent to concentration camps farther east, mostly in Poland. Families were separated and transported in trains.
? For many days, they went without food, water, sanitation or fresh air. To avoid this terrible fate, some Jewish families went into hiding, often with the help of non-Jewish friends. This diary was written during the time when Anne and her family moved to escape from being killed by Nazis.
Anne was born on June 12, 1929. Anne Frank was a German-Jewish Anne’s teenager who was diary forced to go into hiding during the Holocaust(大屠杀).
1929 She was born in Germany.
Her family moved to Amsterdam.
1942-1944 She and her family hid in a building and she wrote her diary during that time.
1944 She was discovered and was killed the next year.
Her diary was published after the war.
Anne’s father : Otto Frank
Anne’s mother: Mrs. Frank Anne Frank
Listen to the reading passage and answer the following questions:
1. Why did Anne made her diary her best friend? 2. What do most people do when they write a diary? What about Anne? 3. Why was she so crazy about things to do with nature? 4. Why did she stay awake on purpose until very late one evening? 5. Why didn’t she dare open the window when the moon was too bright?
1. Why did Anne made her diary her best friend?
? … because she wanted to tell everything to her diary.
2. What do most people do when they write a diary? What about Anne?
? Most people set down a series of facts in a diary. But Anne wanted to tell everything to her diary and to write down her deepest feelings and thoughts. She wanted her diary to be her friend.
3. Why was she so crazy about things to do with nature?
? … because she hadn’t been outdoors for so long.
4. Why did she stay awake on purpose until very late one evening?
? … because she wanted to have a good look at the moon by herself.
5. Why didn’t she dare open the window when the moon was too bright?
? … because she was afraid that she would be discovered by the German Nazis.
Netherlands I lived in ___________ Amsterdam in the ___________ World War II My family were during _____________. Jewish ______, so we had to_________ hide away for a year and a half in order _______________ not to be caught by the German Nazis. During that time I wasn’t outdoors for so long that I had able to go ________ grown so crazy about everything to ______________ do with nature. __________
Once, I decided to look at the moon ___________ at midnight by myself. But I didn’t _______ dare open the window to see the night face _______ to face because I was afraid of being discovered by the Nazis.
Imagine you have to go into hiding like Anne and her family. What would you miss most? Give your reasons.
Things I would miss
1. Fresh air 2. … 3. …
1. It’s tired to stay indoors all the time without breathing the fresh air. 2. … 3. …
1. add vt./vi. add
add up 合计，加起来
add to 增加； 使更加…… add…to… 往…添加…
add up to 总共有，总计达
Travel adds to your understanding of the world. 旅行可增加你对世界的了解。
Don’t add sugar to the coffee. 不要往咖啡里加糖。 Add your scores up and we’ll see who win. 把你们的分数加起来，我们就知道谁赢了。
These numbers add up to 100. 这些数目合计为100。
用add to, add…to, add up, add up to填空
1. The numbers _________ add up to exactly 100. 2. The bad weather ________ added to our difficulty. add 5 _____ to 5, you get 10. 3. If you ____ up their 4. The teacher asked his pupils to add _____ score. 5. The time I spend in studying every day adds up to two and a half hours. _________ tothe festival 6. Colorful balloons can add _____ atmosphere. 7. To make sure the result was correct, she ________ added upthe figures again and again.
? On day, Tom is having breakfast at a restaurant. He saw his best friend Jim 增加了 coming. He said: “Your arrival adds to my pleasure. Let’s have breakfast together”. Jim agreed. And then Jim asked the waiter 把… 加到… to add some sugar to his coffee so that it tasted more delicious.把 After they finished, …加起来 Tom asked the waiter to add up the bill. The bills add up to 100 Yuan.
2. calm down 镇静, 安静, 平静
Calm down! We will find her.
镇静一点, 我们会找到她的。 We waited inside until things calmed down.
我们待在室内，直到一切都恢复了平静。 ? calm sb. down 使某人冷静下来
3. be concerned about 为……关心；为……担心
? 专家们对世界人口增长非常关心. The experts are concerned about the growth of the world population. ? as/so far as sb. be concerned =in one’s opinion 就某人而言, 在某人看来 ? 就我而言，我更倾向于自己回家。 As far as I am concerned, I prefer to go back home by myself.
should have done 本来应该做某事 (而实际没做, 含有责备的意味)
should not have done 本来不该做某事 (而实际已做) shouldn’t have told him He looks upset. I _________________ the bad news _______________. (我本不该告诉他这个 坏消息） You are late. You should ________________ have come five _________________. (你本该早五分钟来) minutes earlier
5. go through
1) experience; suffer 经历、经受 他们在战争年代里经历了很多困难。 They went through many difficulties during the war. 2) 3) to examine carefully 仔细检查 I went through your homework last night . to pass 通过 Can the table go through the door?
6. set down 记下、放下、登记
? I have set down the details in my notes. ? 我已将详细内容记到了笔记本上。 ? We will set about making preparations for the party. set about doing 开始做某事 ? We will set out to prepare for the party next month. set out to do 开始做某事 ? A new school was set up in the southeast of the city. set up 建立、创立 ? They have set off on a journey around the world. set off 出发
? Yesterday we invited Mr. Smith to have lunch with us. He _______at dawn and set off arrived there at about 11:00 am. set out Mother ________to prepare it at 10:00 am. During the lunch Mr. Smith told us set up a new company that he had _______ set a good example (树 last year. He really _______________ 立好的榜样）for us.
8. in order to do sth. 为了(做什么事)
? He works very hard in order to support his family. 他努力工作是为了养家糊口。 He got up very early in order to catch the first bus. 他起的很早是为了赶上头班车。
7. on purpose (by intention, deliberately) 故意地、特地
? She broke the vase on purpose．
? They have come here on purpose to see you．
9. dare 敢，胆敢
常用于否定句和疑问句，没有人称和数的变化， 后接动词原形 dare not/daren’t
I dare not go out alone at night.
Dare you go out alone at night?
She dare not (daren’t) say what she thinks.
a. 有人称和数的变化 b. 后接to do 的形式 dare to do sth. c. 常用于否定句和疑问句中，最常用于否定句
I don’t dare to go out alone at night. Do you dare to go out alone at night? He dares to go out alone at night.
10. at dusk 黄昏，傍晚
? The street lights go on at dusk.
街灯在黄昏时分亮起来。 dusk 黄昏
11. face to face 面对面地 (在句中作状语) face-to-face adj.面对面的 (作定语)
heart to heart 坦诚地 shoulder to shoulder 肩并肩地 back to back 背对背地 side by side 并排地
She stood __________ face to face (面对面地) with him. We had ________________ a face-to-face talk (面对面的交谈). heart to heart (坦诚地) That night they talked ____________ with each other.
I wonder if it's because I haven't been able to be outdoors for so long that I've grown so crazy about everything to do with nature.
不知是否因为我长时间不能外出，我对自然界 的一切变得如此狂热。 ?句型：I wonder whether/if...不知是否……
e.g. I wonder whether you can calm her down. 我想知道你是否能使她冷静下来。
13. I didn't go downstairs until the window had to be shut.
?句型：not...until...“直到……才” e.g. He didn't know the truth until I told him. 直到我告诉他，他才知道真相。
14. It was the first time in a year and a half that I'd seen the night face to face.
现在完成时从句 + the first / third / last …+ 名词 + that
It /This is It /That was
e.g. This is the first time that I have seen such a beautiful lake.
It was the fourth time that he had made the same mistake.
I can well remember that there was a time when a deep blue sky, the song of the birds, moonlight and flowers could never have kept me spellbound.
我清楚地记得曾经有段时间，蓝色的天空、鸟儿的歌 唱、月光和鲜花不会让我迷恋。 ?句型：There was a time when...曾经有段时间……
There was a time when I was very concerned about the leftover children. 曾有一段时间我很关心留守儿童。
Look at the picture and write down a short passage about Lucy by using the following words and phrases:
upset; be concerned about; suffer from…; calm down
My good friend: Lucy
My good friend Lucy came to school very upset. She told me that she was suffering from headache. I was concerned about her and tried to calm her down.
not only…but also 不仅……而且
1. not only … but also 应连接两个相对称的并列成分。 ? Not only Mr Lin but also his son joined the Party two years ago. （连接两个主语） ? I not only play tennis but also practise shooting. （连接两个谓语动词） ? He plays not only the piano but also the violin. （连接两个宾语） ? They speak English not only in class but also in the dormitory. （连接两个地点状语） ? 注：句子 He not only plays the piano but also the violin 不是好的文体，因为 but also 之后的成分与 not only 之后的成分不对称。
Direct Speech and Indirect Speech
1.He said, "I am living with my brother." He said that __ was living with his brother. A. I B. you C. he D. they 2.He said, "You are sure to get a warm welcome there." He said that we __ sure to get a warm welcome there. A. am B. was C. were D. are
3.She says, "Something is wrong with my bike." She says that something is wrong with __ bike. A. my B. a C. his D. her
4.He said, "I will not do so again." He said that he __ not do so again. A. will B. must C. would D. do
5.The teacher said, "My son had the same experience as the little boy." The teacher said that his son had __ the same experience as the little boy. A. been B. have C. had D. done
6.She said to me, "My mother took me to an exhibition yesterday." She told me that her mother had taken __ to an exhibition the day before. A. she B. me C. her D. you
7.You said to me, "I saw the film two days ago." You told me that you had seen the film __ A. two days B. two days before C. two days ago D. yesterday 8.He said to his younger sister, "You may come with me." He told his younger sister that __ with him. A. you may come B. you might come C. she might come D. she might go
9.The student said to me, "She has made a close study of the problem." The student told me that she __ a close study of the problem. A. has make B. have made C. had make D. had made
10.He said, "I live here." He said that he lived____. A. there B. here C. in there D. at there
copyright ©right 2010-2020。