Unit 1 Tales of unexplained
Boy missing, police puzzled
The text is selected from Model 2, Advance with English. This reading We are sup
posed to learn some reading text is a news report about a missing strategies and how to gain enough information boy who was thought to be kidnapped when read a news report. This lesson should by aliens. focus on the learner’s ability of searching information by scanning and skimming and preparing for the next learning of this unit.
1. Objective of knowledge To help students learn the features of a news report and some reading strategies 2. Objective of abilities To train students’ abilities of getting information by some reading skills, especially scanning and skimming. 3. Objective of affection To arouse students’ interests in unexplained things
Key points: 1. To develop students’ reading skills (skimming and scanning). 2. To help students gain better understanding through the framework of the material. 3. To acquire students the strategy of how to read a newspaper article
Difficult point: To guide students to get information through intensive reading and extensive reading and exchange information by group discussion.
Teaching aid: PowerPoint
Teaching & learning methods: 1) Reading and tasked-based methods Guide students to get reading skills by 2) Communicative teaching method summarizing and imitating. Get Students to form good reading habits I’ll give the Ss some tasks and arrange five and grasp useful reading strategies through kinds of activities: discussing, talking, kinds of exercises. and interviewing. reading ,listening
Students can learn the language in a certain context with the help of activities and consolidate their competence of language practice and self-study ability under the communicative language teaching
Step 1 lead-in Use a discussion to lead in the features of a news title and the topic of the text. Step 2 Presentation: Introduce to the students some features of a news report and teach them how to read it and get information effectively.
Step 3 Practice: 1. Fill a form according to the information of the first paragraph 2. Read the article quickly for some information according the strategy 1) What is the article about? 2) When was Justin last seen? 3) Who is in charge of the case? 3. Finish a T or F task
Step 4 Consolidation: 1) Further the understanding of the text by answering some questions, using the skill of scanning 2) Listen to the tape of this text and complete a multiple choice Step 5 Explanation: To introduce some language points of the first paragraph
Step 6 Homework 1. Read another piece of news according to the reading strategy 2. Finish exercise C2 and D in page 4 3. Underline some important phrases or structures and prepare for next class
Do you often read newspapers? What kind of news do you like to read? ( sports news, entertainment news, political news or economic news …) How do you select the news you like to read? ( by taking a look at its title or by being attracted by its colorful pictures)
‘Boy missing, police puzzled’
What’s the features of a news title?
A boy is missing and the police are puzzled. short and brief attractive, exact, direct
What’s to read a newspaper article? How the features of a news story?
It is often written in an inverted pyramid ? Read the beginning very carefully format. ? Try Most generalthe 5 wh- and how questions – to answer information is give first with the information in the first paragraph. – Details follow ( to give a general idea about title the news ) the first paragraph the following paragraphs ( to tell readers “who” “when” “where” “what” “why” “how” )
( to give detailed but less important information )
“boy missing, police puzzled” Who When What why …
It’s about a missing boy
the first paragraph
the following paragraphs
evidence given by__
parents, sister, neighbors …
The first para.
who? When? Where? What? Why?
a fifteen-year-old boy three days ago in Dover,New Hampshire went missing unknown
Skimming 1.What is the article about? It’s about a missing boy. 2. When was Justin last seen? Friday night 3. Who is in charge of the case? Detective Sam Peterson
T or F
1. Police in America have stepped up their search for a thirteen-year-old boy. ( F ) fifteen-year-old 2. Justin foster, a high school student, went missing last Saturday .( F ) Friday
3. 3. Justin’s sister, Kelly, says she saw her brother return home at about 11 p.m. ( T )
4. The police weren't sure that Justin was taken were by aliens. ( F )
Exercise C1 (p.4)
1. Where does Justin Foster live? He lives in Dover, New Hampshire. 2. Why did Justin’s mother go to bed early?
Because of a headache.
3. What sports does Justin play? He plays baseball. 4. What time did the witnesses see Justin walking home? At 10.45 p.m.
5. Does Justin have any brothers and sisters?
He has a sister.
6. What color were the aliens? They were white. 7. Who else has been taken by the aliens? Mavis Wood has been taken by the aliens.
8. Who is in charge of the case? Detective Sam Peterson is in charge of it.
1. According paragraph 1, _________. B A. Justin was killed by Yetis B. people showed great interest in Justin Foster’s being missing C. the police have discovered the truth of Justin’s being missing D. Justin went lost last night 2. In the second paragraph, “show up” A means_______. A. arrive or appear B. reach C. disappear D. reach for
3. From the third paragraph, we know that________. C A. Justin did not go home that night B. after the game Justin spent the night with a friend that night C. Justin returned home that night D. Justin was playing baseball with a friend all the night.
4. According to Paragraph 5, we know that D __________. A. the light that Kelly saw was the light of the full moon B. the spaceship was white all over C. Kelly saw the aliens take Justin away D. Kelly was quite sure that the aliens took Justin away
5. From the last paragraph we can know C that_________. A. the police have given up looking into space B. the police didn’t believe what Kelly and other people said at all C. the police will also try to find out some other possibilities D. the people have found out that someone made up the story of Justin’s missing
1. Boy missing, police puzzled (=A boy is missing, and the police are puzzled.) puzzle vt. 使…困惑 n. 疑惑，谜，智力游戏 puzzled adj. 困惑的（常用于指人,可指人的表情） puzzling adj. 令人困惑的（常用于指物） E.g.: Her illness puzzled all the doctors. It is still a puzzle. The puzzling problem made me puzzled. There is a puzzled look in her face.
2. Police in America stepped up their search for a 15-year-old boy who went missing 3 days ago in Dover New Hampshire step up (=speed up; increase ) 加快，加强，促 进，逐步提高 ? step up one’s pace 加快步伐 ? step up one’s social position 逐步提高社会地位 ? Our trade with foreign countries is stepping up.我们和外国的贸易正在逐步增加。 go +adj. 表示“变成，处于某种状态”，但往往 表示不好的变化 ? E.g.: go mad/ hungry/ wrong /worse / grey /blind
3.People have shown great interest in his disappearance due to sightings of puzzling lights…(Line 4) ? The local people showed a great interest in the incident because of… ?show / have/take interest in…在…方面表现出兴趣 be /get interested in…对…有兴趣 develop an interest in… 培养…的兴趣 ? due to=owe to=thanks to=because of=owing to ? be due to: Their success is due to their efforts.他们的 成功归功于他们的努力，be due to是归功于，用于句中 ? Due to the bad weather, the flight has been delayed. 由于坏天气，航班延误了，due to 是由于的意思，通常用 于句首
Read another piece of news according to the reading strategy
Finish exercise C2 and D in page 4 Underline some important phrases or structures and prepare for next class
copyright ©right 2010-2020。