Book III Unit 4
1. What’s the meaning of the word “Astronomy”?
Astronomy is the scientific study of the universe and the heaven bodies (such as the sun,
the moon, and stars), gas, and dust within it.
2. Do you know the following terms?
star, planet, the sun / moon / earth, solar system
恒星 ?行星 太阳系
3. How many planets are in the solar system?
4. Do you know the correct order of their distance to the sun? nearest to the sun?
farthest to the sun?
Scientists now think Pluto is too small to be called a planet.
5. The names of eight planets. ? Mercury 1) 水星 ? Venus 2) 金星 ? Earth 3) 地球 ? Mars 4) 火星 ? Jupiter 5) 木星 ? Saturn 6) 土星 ? Uranus 7) 天王星 ? Neptune 8) 海王星
In this unit, we’ll learn something more scientific. 1.What’s the title of the text?
2. From the title, we can predict that the text may tell us the origin of life on the earth. Do you know some stories about it?
earth Pangu 盘古 separates(分) the sky ____________ from the earth.
_____________ Nuwa (女娲) made human beings.
In western countries:
God created the world in seven days
How life began on the earth
Read the passage on P25 quickly, and match the right main idea of each paragraph. How many parts can the text be divided into?
Para.1 The importance of water for life Para.2 A theory about how the universe was formed
Para.3 The formation(形成） of the earth
Part1: The development of the earth The arrival of humans and their effects on the earth
Para.5 The development of plants and animals
Part2:The development of life.
Part 1(1~3): The development of the earth
Part1 (para1~3) The development of the earth
1. After the Big Bang, what happened? 2. What happened to the solid globe next? 3. What did the water vapour and gases form? 4. What appeared after the earth cooled down 5. What did the water do?
1. After the Big Bang, what happened?
a cloud of dust Settled into a violent solid ball
2. What happened to the solid globe next?
exploded with In time produced water vapour and gases fire and rock
3. What did the water vapour and gases form?
the earth’s atmosphere
4.What appeared after the earth cooled down?
Water appeared on its surface which is important for the beginning of life on the earth.
5.What did the water do?
It allowed the earth to dissolve harmful gases and acids into the oceans and seas.
How did the earth come into being(产生）?
Big Bang a solid _______ ball/globe
dust a cloud of _____
fire and _____ rock it exploded loudly with _____ atmosphere the earth’s ___________
cooled down the earth ______
Part 2 (4~5) The development of life
Part 2 (para4~5) The development of life
1.What life developed after water appeared? 2. What life developed after forests appeared? 3. What life developed after dinosaurs? 4. What life developed after mammals?
Part 2 (para4~5) The development of life
1.What life developed after water appeared? arrival of small plants in water early shellfish and all sorts of fish
2. What life developed after forests appeared?
reptiles on land dinosaurs on land
How do reptiles produce young?
by laying eggs
3. What life developed after dinosaurs?
mammals on land
How do mammals produce young? by giving birth to baby animals and producing milk to feed them.
4. What life developed after mammals? small clever animals
1.Who are the small clever animals with hands and feet? 2. Are they taking care of the earth well? Why?
Because they are putting too much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, which prevents heat from escaping from the earth into space.
The earth may become too hot to live on .
How to solve this problem?
To solve this problem, people should protect the earth carefully. They must stop putting too much carbon dioxide into the air , reduce pollution, control the population and so on .
The development of life
→ a solid ball → presence of water → small plants grow && other fish on the water → shellfish shellfish other fish begin toto grow on dry plants begin grow on dry appear→ plants land land → insects and amphibians appear →reptiles retiles appear appear → dinosaurs dinosaurs appear appear → mammals mammals appear appear
A cloud of dust
1. Read the passage more after class. 2.Do the Ex.2 on P27.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。