Unit 14 Zoology
The language honeyof honey-bees
How do people communicate with each other? How about animals? spoken language facial expressions posture sound
s smell movements written language hand gestures body language
What other words come to your mind when you see “bee” this word?
sting 毒刺 nectar 花蜜 beekeeper 养蜂人 bee house 养蜂场 beehive 蜂箱 hum/ buzz 蜂音 honeycomb 蜂窝 worker 工蜂 queen 蜂王 honey 蜂蜜 royal jelly 蜂王浆 insect 昆虫 bee
as busy as a bee
Reading The language of honeyhoney-bees
Match the general idea of each paragraph.
1. The circle dance Para. 1 Para. 2 Para. 3 Para. 4 Para. 5 Para. 6 Para. 7 Para. 8 2. A brief introduction of the bee 3. Whether bees could tell each other the exact position. 4. The wagging dance. 5. Pro. Karl von Frisch built special hives to study bees. 6. The number of wagging dances indicates the exact distance to the feeding place. 7. “Bee-line” and “ to make a beeline for ” ” 8. Something about the professor
make a summary of each part: Part 1: (Para 1) Some basic knowledge about bees. Part 2: (Paras 2-8) Professor Von Frisch’s ’ experiment. Part 3: (the last Para) The late life of Professor Von Frisch.
True or False
( F ) 1. Von Frisch and his co-workers counted how many times the bees repeated the wagging dance during one hour. ( F ) 2. They discovered that the farther away the feeding station was, the faster the dance was. ( F ) 3. The number of wagging dances per minute told the direction to the feeding place. ( T ) 4. Then Professor Von Frisch did his third experiment, which was to discover whether the wagging dance showed direction.
( F ) 5. He found that the straight part of the dance was the same in the morning from what it had been in the afternoon. ( F ) 6. If the feeding place was toward the sun, the dance headed straight onward during the straight part of the wagging dance. ( T ) 7. The experiment of Professor Karl von Frisch tells us that bees can and do communicate with each other by their dances, which may be called a kind of “language”. ”
Para.3-4 the circle dance and the wagging dance
Can you describe how the circle dance performed? And how the wagging dance performed?
the circle dance
First it made a circle to the right, then to the left. It repeated these circles over and over again. Then the surrounding bees trooped behind the first dancer, copying its movements.
the wagging dance
The dancer ran in a straight line, wagging from side to side. Then it turned in a semicircle, ran straight again, and turned in another semicircle to the opposite side. It kept the “steps” over and over. ”
The number of wagging dances indicates the exact distance to the feeding place. 1. What did the scientists discover?
They discovered that the farther away the feeding station was, the slower the dance was.
2. What a maximum distance do the bees fly? Bees fly a maximum distance of 3.2 kilometres between their hive and a feeding place.
Para.8 Karl von Frisch Austrian zoologist
Karl von Frisch
won the 1973 Nobel Prize in physiology(生理学 or 生理学) 生理学 medicine. He discovered a number of pioneering breakthroughs in animal behavior.
A circle dance A wagging dance A faster wagging dance A slower wagging dance Food is near. Food is far away.
Food is closer. Food is farther away.
There are many _________ of bee. The scientist varieties Von Frisch did several experiments to observe the bees. surprise To his _____________, the bee who found the feeding place began to perform a dance on _________ the surface of the honeycomb. The dance ________ seemed to excite the surrounding bees. _______
They _________ behind the first dancer, trooped _________ its movements. Then the bees left the copying hive and went to thefeeding place. He found that _______ the bees did the circling dance when the food is near, and that the bees did the ___________ dance wagging when the food was far away. He also found that the number of wagging dances per minute _________ told how far away the food was.
1. Retell the text.
2. Read exercise 3 of post reading to
find out more information about the language of bees
Thank you very much!
1. My name __ Robert. I __ a student. I __ Italian. 2. Sophie __ not Italian. She __ French. 3. Mr. Blake __ my teacher. He __ not French.
1. Stella is __ student, and she studies in __ university. She is __ American. 2. How many days are there in __ year? How many minutes are there in __hour? 3. Our teacher is talking with __ old man from __ France. 4. There is __ oil painting on the wall.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。