1. Do you know who he is? 2. Have you ever the film from his works? 3. What do you know about him?
About Isaac Asimov
Isaac Asimov，American Jew, an American scientist and one of the most great science fiction writers. He wrote so many works which are known as interesting, creative, imaginative, describe events and people that do not exist.
艾萨克· 阿西莫夫是美籍犹太人，为本世纪 阿西莫夫不仅是哥伦比亚大学的化学博士， 最顶尖的科幻小说家之一，曾获代表科幻界最高 更是世闻名的全能作家，一生著书达四百八十余 荣誉的雨果奖和星云终身成就大师奖。 本，内容广及科学类的数理化、天文、生物、医 以他的名字为号召的《艾西莫夫科幻杂志》 学，还旁涉人文类的文学、宗教、史地等。如此 是美国当今数一数二的科幻文学重镇。 渊博的学识使他的笔下世界具备了奇幻的想像与 《基地》、《机器人》等系列是艾西莫夫最 高度的预言性。几乎每一本有关机器人发展史的 脍炙人口的代表作。艾西莫夫通过宏观视野使他 书籍都提到他、他的小说与他发明的“机器人三 的作品处处闪动著关怀人类未来的笔触，超越一 定律”。他的“机器人三定律” 几乎成了以后 般科幻作品的局限。 科幻作家创作有关机器人的作品时必须遵循的法
Isaac Asimov (( 1920-1992) Isaac Asimov 1920-1992)
Asimov’s laws for robots
first law :阿西莫夫的“机器人三定律”： 艾萨克 A robot must not injure human being or allow them to be injured. 一、机器人不能害人，也不能坐视人 Second law : A robot must obey the others 类被害。 it by human beings (as long as given to human beings are not injured). 二、在不违反定律一的前提下，机器 Third law : A robot must protect its own 人要听人的话。 existence (as long as human being are not 三、在不违反定律一、二的前提下， injured; and as long as the robot does not 机器人要尽量保住自己。 disobey the human beings).
About his work
Isaac Asimov was an amazing writer who had finished more than 300 works since the beginning of1950’.
His most famous works I, Robot (我是机器人) The Foundation Trilogy
the foundation (1951) the foundation and Empire (1953) the second foundation (1952)
Enjoy the pictures
Reading & Discussing
Now, let’s listen to the passage. A Biography of Isaac Asimov And then answer the following questions. 1. What’s the passage mainly
about? 2. What did Isaac Asimov do? 3. How many books did he wrote?
Now, let’s listen to the passage. A Biography of Isaac Asimov And then answer the following questions.
4. What subject did Asimov teach? 5. When did he start having stories published? 6. How many children did he have?
Listening and answering
? ? ? ? ? ?
1. What’s the passage mainly about? 2. What did Isaac Asimov do? 3. How many books did he wrote? 4. What subject did Asimov teach? 5. When did he start having stories published? 6. How many children did he have?
Answer the questions 1. What’s the passage mainly about?
It mainly introduce a famous American science fiction writer, Isaac Asimov.
Answer the questions 2. What did Isaac Asimov do?
He was an American scientist and writer.
Answer the questions 3. How many books did he wrote? He wrote about 480 books.
Answer the questions 4. What subject did Asimov teach?
Asimov taught biochemistry.
Answer the questions 5. When did he start having stories published?
6. How many children did he have? He had two children, a son and a daughter.
Now, let’s scan the passage, and then find the answers to the following questions.
1. Which paragraph tells us when and where Asimov was born and died? 2. Which paragraph tells us about his education? 3. which paragraph tells us about awards he received?
1. The second paragraph tell us his birthday and birth places. 2. The third one tell us about his education.
3. The fifth paragraph tells us about awards he received.
Reading & Discussing
Choose the best answer 1. Why could Isaac Asimov became a writer? A. A friend of his made him a writer. B. His parents wanted him to be a writer. C. He had the talent for writing. D. He had so many experiences in his life.
Reading & Discussing Choose the best answer 2. How many years did Isaac Asimov work in his parents’ store?
A. 5 B. 9 C. 11 D. 13
Reading & Discussing
3. Which of the following statements is true according to the passage? A. Isaac Asimov wrote some famous plays about Shakespeare. B. Robots should protect human beings in “I ,Robot” C. Isaac Asimov didn’t publish books until he became a full-time writer. D. Isaac Asimov’ ideas about robots completely influenced scientists researching into artificial intelligence.
Born in Russia
Sister born ____________________________________ Moved with family to New York _____________________________________
Parents bought a candy store.
_____________________________________ Started working in candy store
Mother and her third child.
Started to take himself seriously as a writer. Began having stories published in science ____________________________________ fiction magazine
Gained Master’s degree in chemistry Finished working in the candy store
Got married. _______________________________
Worked as junior chemist, Philadelphia Navy Yard. _______________________________
Got PhD in chemistry
1948 _______ 1949 _______
Became a biochemistry teacher,…
Published his first novel.
Published “The Foundation Trilogy” and won an award for it
Date 1953 _______ 1958 _______
Published first science book.
Became a full-time writer.
Divorced his first wife.
Married for a second time. ____________________________ 1983 ______
1992 Had a blood transfusion. Because infected with HIV.
Died in New York. ________________________________
Review Asimov’s laws for robots
? first law : A robot must not injure human being or allow them to be injured. ? Second law : A robot must obey the others given to it by human beings (as long as human beings are not injured). ? Third law : A robot must protect its own existence (as long as human being are not injured; and as long as the robot does not disobey the human beings).
Discuss in groups
Do you think it is necessary for human beings to set laws for robots? Why or why not? Which law is the story “Satisfaction Guaranteed” based on?
What might happen in a world where there were robots if Asimov’s three laws did not exist?
1. Isaac Asimov was an American scientist and writer…
当and所连接的两个名词表示一个人的两种身份， 而实际上指的是一个人时，只在第一个名词前加冠 词，第二个名词前不加。作主语时，谓语动词用单 数。例如：
A clerk and secretary is enough for such a small office. He is a poet and novelist. The teacher and writer is her friend. The singer and dancer comes from Guangxi.
2. … which he searched for explanations of everything, … search + 地方 / 人 表示在某地/某人身上寻找/搜寻。 search for ：寻找某物 in search of：寻找，作状语，表示目的。例如： searched The enemies _____________the Red Army man everywhere . searched They have ____________ the whole city for _____the missing boy . The boy has been to many places in search of ____________his lost cat .
3. …he started to take himself seriously as a writer… take …seriously ：严肃对待/认真对待，例如： You can’t take her promises seriously, she never keeps her word. He takes things too seriously.
反义短语: take …for granted：想当然
take what I said seriously You should ________________________ (重视我的话) , it is good for you. takes it for granted She ___________________ (想当然的认为) that her parents should give her everything.
4. He is also well known for his collection of short stories… be known for … = be famous for …因……而著名 be known as… 作为……而著名 be known to… 为……所知 介词填空: (as, for, to) for He is known ____ his honesty. It’s known ____ the most dangerous as part of the city. as to He is known ____ everyone ____ a good actor.
5. From 1942 to 1948 he worked as a junior chemist … junior ：younger , lower in rank：
senior ： older , higher in rank
He is the junior employee in the firm . He is two years junior to me. He is two years senior to me. senior citizens 老人
6. Soon after his divorce in 1973, … divorce:n. legal ending of a marriage:离婚，脱离 vt. put an end to a marriage by law
ask for a divorce get divorced divorce … from
His wife asked for a divorce. They got divorced last year. . She divorced her husband two years ago. We shouldn’t divorce theory from practice.
7. … Asimov received many awards, both for his science books and his science books. award ：奖，奖赏
填空: (prize ，reward， honor)
award He won the __________for the best student of year . honor It 's an ___________to hear you speak so highly of me .
He won the Nobel _________for literature . Prize
reward He got a ________of $ 100 for helping them.
1. Finish the exercise 4 on page 18. Homework 2. Surf on net to get more information about Isaac Asimov. 3. Complete the biography of your own.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。