A Letter for You
Read A Letter for You and then you can know something about the aims of this unit. It will help you learn this unit well.
Aims of this uni
1. Understand the lyrics and the theme of Home. 2. Develop students’ four skills, mainly listening and speaking. 3. Develop pronunciation skills through the song. 4. Be able to use some vocabulary and sentence structures in the song. 5. Learn to sing the song.
Please point out which states the abbreviations stand for respectively.
Louisiana LA _____________
New York NY _____________
California CA ______________ Hawaii HI ______________
West Virginia WV_______________ Florida FL _______________
With the help of the following descriptions, can you guess which state the song is sung about?
a) it has many mines （煤） b) another name of the state is Mountain
c) the motto （口号，箴言） of the state is Mountaineers Always Free d) it used to be a part of Virginia
1. breeze n. 和风，微风 2. belong to 属于 3. dusty adj. 积满灰尘的 4. misty adj. 有雾的，模糊的 5. teardrop n. 泪珠 6. remind vt. （常与of sth., 带to的不定 式或that 从句连用） 使想起；提醒
Enjoying the song
Focus on music
What do you think is the mood (心情) of the singer? a) Very sad b) Cheerful c) Blue d) Homesick(想家的，思乡的)
Focus on comprehension
Listen to the song again and decide whether the following statements are true (T) or false (F).
1) The song is about West Virginia that is as beautiful as heaven. 2) The song tells us that something terrible happened in the singer’s home. 3) The song shows the singer’s love and care for his home. 4) The song is mainly about the pollution in West Virginia.
Listen carefully and try to understand the song with the help of the activities designed for you.
A 1. From the first part we know the singer’s
hometown is _____.
a) West Virginia b) Blue Ridge Mountain c) Shenandoah River
2. “Almost heaven, West Virginia…”means _____. (Line 1)
a) West Virginia is more beautiful than heaven b) West Virginia is almost as beautiful as heaven c) West Virginia is less beautiful than heaven
3. What is younger than the mountain?
a) life b) the tree c) the river
Listen to the second part of the song
Match the beginning of each line with its correct ending.
All my mem’ries, Miner’s lady, Dark and dusty, Misty taste of moonshine,
gather ‘round her. painted on the sky. teardrop in my eyes. stranger to blue water.
According to this part, which statement below is NOT true _____.
a) The singer grew up in his hometown. b) In his hometown the singer has many memories, either happy or blue. c) The singer’s hometown is not as beautiful as before. d) When the singer thinks of the miner’s lady he can’t help crying.
Listen to the last part of the song
1. According to what you hear, complete the following lyrics with the help of the Chinese.
I hear her voice, calls me In the morning hours she _______________ (向我呼唤) reminds me of my home far away The radio _____________________________ (使我想起远方的家园). And drivin’ down the road I get a feeling That I _______________________________ , should have been home, yesterday yesterday (昨天就应该把家还)
2. What does “she” refer to? (line2) a) Miner’s lady b) Mountain Momma c) Home d) The radio 3. “The radio reminds me of my home” means _____. a) The radio tells me not to forget to go home b) The radio makes me think of my home. c) The radio is unforgettable.
Pay attention to the pronunciation skills such as liaison( ) and incomplete plosion( ↓ ).
Almost heaven, West Virginia. Dark and dusty, painted on the sky.
Blowing like a breeze.
Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eyes.
I hear her voice in the morning hours she calls me.
And drivin’ down the road I get the feeling that I should have been home yesterday.
1.Remember the lyrics of the song.
2.Write a letter to your parents and tell them your
school life and don’t forget to tell them your love
copyright ©right 2010-2020。