一、单词拼写 根据读音、词性和词义写出下列单词。 harvest 1. ___________[‵???vist] vt & vi 收割 2. ___________[ stɑ?v]vt&vi饿死 starve 3. ___________ [、indi‵pend?nt]adj.独立的;自主的 independent 4. ___________[ ?gri‵k
?lt??r?l] adj.农业的,农艺的 agricultural 5. ___________[ ?d‵mａi?] vt.赞美;钦佩 admire 6. ___________[ drａun] vt & vi淹没;溺死 drown 7. ___________[ wａip] vt.擦;擦去 wipe 8. ___________[ ‵krist??n] n.基督徒 Christian 9. ___________[ bi‵li?f] n.信任;信心 belief 10. ___________[ wi?p] vi.哭泣;流泪 weep
11. ___________ [f?‵giv]vt .原谅;饶恕 forgive
12. ___________ [ ri‵lid??s] adj.宗教上的;虔诚的 religious
13. ___________ [ 、en?‵d?etik] adj.充满活力的;精力 energetic 充沛的 14. ___________ [‵?bvi?s]adj.显而易见的 obvious 15. ____________[ 、seli‵brei??n] n.庆祝;庆贺 celebration
16. ____________ [‵?nsist?]n.祖先;祖宗 ancestor custom 17. ____________ [‵k?st?m]n.习惯;风俗
18. ____________[ ni‵sesiti] n.必要性;需要 necessity prediction 19. ____________ [pri‵dik??n]n.预言;预报; 20. ____________ [?‵nａuns?]n.广播员;报幕员 announcer
二、单词运用 根据句子的结构和意义，以及首字母 的提示，在空格处填入一个恰当的单词。 1. What do you hope to g________ from the course? gain 2. Missing a meal once in a while never did anyone any h________. harm 3. On a________ at the police station, they were arrival taken to an interview room. (到达) 4. Jack has passed his examination, so we’re going out to c____________. celebrate 5. Whole communities s________ to death during the starved long drought. (饿死)
6. Her unhappy childhood was the o________ of her origin problems later in life. 7. The school is widely a__________ for its excellent admired teaching. 8. A crowd g__________ to see what had happened. gathered 9. In my village, it is the c________ for a girl to take custom her mother’s name 10. She’s dreaming she’ll meet a tall, dark, h___________ man by chance in the street. handsome
三、词语派生 用括号中所给词的适当形式填空。 1. The children were wearing traditional ________ national dress. (nation) 2. Mexico gained its ______________ from Spain in independence l821. (depend) 3. A local poor peasant ________ the soldiers through led the forest. (leader) 4. There is no doubt that the basic needs of the people should be ________ first. (satisfy) satisfied 5. The country’s economy is mainly ___________ and agricultural depends on crops like coffee. (agriculture)
social 6. Most British schools organize ________ events for the students. (society) energetic 7. I tried aerobics (有氧运动) but it was too ________ for me. (energy) religious 8. He’s deeply __________ and goes to church twice a week. (religion) decorating 9. I hate the smell of paint when I’m ____________. (decorate) foolish 10. You were __________ enough to believe him. (fool)
四、词组互译 将下列词组或短语译成中文或英语。 take place 1. ________________________ 发生，举行
2. ________________________ 节日和庆祝活动 festivals and celebrations
3. ________________________ 为了纪念 in memory of in the shape of 4. ________________________ 以……形式 5. ________________________ dress up play a trick on 6. ________________________ decorate … with … 7. ________________________ get together 8. ________________________ 打扮 开玩笑，恶作剧
look forward to 9. _______________________ 盼望，期待 10. _______________________ 日日夜夜 day and night
11. _____________________ as though 好像 12. ______________________ have fun with 玩得开心 13. ______________________ be proud of 为??骄傲
14. ______________________ turn up 出现，露面
15. ______________________ keep one’s word 遵守诺言
屏息 16. _______________________ hold one’s breath
17. _______________________ get married to 与某人结婚
18. _______________________ set off 出发，动身
提醒某人某事 19. _______________________ remind … of…
20. _______________________ throw away 扔掉
五、词组运用 据句子提供的语境，从第四大题中选一个适当的词 组并用其适用的形式填空。 dress up 1. You don’t need to _____________, just to go to the pub — jeans and a T-shirt will do. 2. The police may never discover what ___________ took place that night, because Mr Smith, the only eyewitness, died last night. having fun with 3. Mom, don’t worry about me. I am ______________ other boys. 4. Luckily, help arrived ____________ a police officer. in the shape of play tricks on 5. It’s acceptable to ______________ your friends on April 1st.
6. The government set up a monument _____________ in memory of the heroes who died in the war. 7. I’m __________________ hearing from you. looking forward to
8. He behaved ___________ he hadn’t known as though
anything about it. 9. Those workers worked _______________ to finish day and night the task. 10. _________________ and count 1 to 10. hold your breath
The Double Ninth Festival
What kinds of festivals in China do you know about?
The Double The Spring Festival Seventh Festival
Tomb Sweeping Day
The Lantern Festival
The Dragon Boat Festival
The Middle Autumn Festival
What Chinese public holidays do you know ? National Day Children’s Day International New Year’s Labour Day Holidays Day The Youth Day
International Women’s Day
What festivals of foreign countries do you know? Thanksgiving Day Easter Christmas Carnival festivals Father’s Day
Mother’s Day Valentine’s Day Fool’s Day
名称 情人节 英文名称 Valentine’s Day 月份 2月14日
母亲节 父亲节 劳动节
万圣节 感恩节 斋节 圣诞节
April Fool’s Day
Mother’s Day Father’s Day Labor Day
Halloween Thanksgiving Day Ramadan Christmas Day
5月的第二个星期日 6月的第三个星期日 5 月1日
10月31日 11月的第四个星期4 穆斯林历的第9个月 12月25日
The most important holiday in China is Spring Festival. To the ordinary Chinese, the festival actually begins on the eve of the lunar New Year's Day and ends on the fifth day of the first month of the lunar calendar.
Spring Festival couplets
Retell the text by filling the following blanks:
There are all kinds of festivals and celebrations __________ around the world, which are held for different ancient festivals reasons. The _______ _________ were mainly held at three times a year--- the end of the cold winter, planting in spring and harvest in autumn.Some festivals are held to honor the dead or satisfy and _____ please ______ the _________ in case they might _____ ancestors do harm _______, while other festivals are held to honor Dragon famous people or the gods, such as _________ Boat ______ _______Festival and Columbus Day.
Harvest and Thanksgiving festivals are happy events because the food is _________ for the gathered agricultural winter and because a season of ___________work is over,to which Mid autumn festival belongs.And the most energetic and important festivals are the ones that look forward to the end of winter and to the coming of spring, such as the ______ New Year, ______ lunar at which people have a very good time.
Grammar ( 32ms )
情态动词有一定的意义，但没有人称和数的 变化，不能独立使用，它和后面的动词构成 谓语． 只作情态动词的 can/could, may/might, ought to， must 可情态可实义的 need, dare/dared 可情态可助动词的 shall/should, will/would 相当于情态动词的 have to, used to
Must , can/could, may/might 的用法
1.Must 表示推测时， 只能用于肯定句。 这个电脑肯定出了问题。 There must be something wrong with the computer.
你努力学了一整天， 一定累了吧 You have worked hard all day. You must be tired.
2.Must +be doing/do 表示对现在的动作进行肯定推测 他现在一定在看小说
He must be reading novels now. 他们买了一辆新车。 他们一定很有钱
They have bought a new car. They must have a lot of money.
3.Must +have done 表示对过去发生的事情作出的肯定 判断 他们在玩篮球， 他们一定完成了作业。
They are playing basketball, they must have finished their homework. 路是湿的。昨天晚上一定下雨了。
The road is wet. It must have rained last night.
1. can /could 表示推测时，只能用在否定句或疑问句 中。 It’s so late. Can Tom be reading? 这么晚了，汤姆还在看书吗？ 这个人不可能是玛丽， 她生病了。
It can’t be Mary. She has fallen ill.
她不可能在说谎。 She couldn’t be telling lies.
2. can/could have done 对过去发生行为的可能性进行 推测:
I saw him just now so he couldn’t have gone abroad. 门是锁着的， 所以她不可能在家。 The door was locked. She couldn’t have been at home.
3. can/could have done “本可以，本来可能已经”用 于肯定句中，表示对过去发生的事情做出的判断， 你本来可以考的更好。 You could have had a better mark.
1.May/might表示推测时，只能用于陈述句，表示对现 在或将来要发生的动作把握不大。 她们明天可能会到这里来。
They may come here tomorrow.
他们可能还在等我们呢。 They may be still waiting for us.
他也许在作功课吧。 He might be doing his homework now. 我问他我是否可以离开。 I asked him if I might leave. I asked him “May I leave now?”
3.might/may have done,表示对过去发生的动作进行 可能性推测， 他可能去医务室了。 He may have gone to the clinic. 他可能已经从报纸上知道这个消息了。
He might have read about the news in the newspaper.
will/would Will /Would you do…? 表请求 表意志，愿望，决心 would表过去反复发生得动作或某种倾向 “总是,总要” used to表过去常常（现在已没有这种习惯） “过去常常” used to 可于状态动词连用 would不可以 eg. He used to be a quiet boy. ( √ ) He would be a quiet boy. ( × )
1. ---- Will you go skating with me this winter vacation? B ---- It ___ . ( 2002上海) A. all depended B. all depends C. is all depended D. is all depending
解析：答案B。It all depends 是“不确定”、 “看情况”的意思。
2. I failed in the final examination last term and only then _____ the D importance of studies. ( 2004重庆 ) A. I realized B. I had realized C. had I realized D. did I realize
解析：答案为D. 句首为“only + 副词”时，句子要用 部分倒装语序；根据语境应为一般过去时态。
3. ---- I would never come to this restaurant again. The food is terrible! B ---- _______ . ( 2004全国 ) A. Nor am I B. Neither would I C. Same with me D. So do I
答案B。第一个句子使用了would, 用neither表示附和 的意义时，助动词应与上文一致。
When you are very sure of something, you use must in positive sentences and cannot or can’t in negative sentences.
e.g. You must be Jeanne. I’m Mathilde Loisel. We used to know each other very well. It can’t be true! I don’t believe it.
When you are quite sure about something, you use can. e.g. Attending a ball can be exciting.
When you think that something is possible, but you are not very sure, you use could, may or
e.g.You could borrow some jewellery from your friend Jeanne, who is married to a rich man.
You may not know that the necklace I returned is not the one that I had borrowed. Don’t you have a friend who might lend you some jewellery?
Practice 2:表示推测——情态动词的重要用法. 1. You must be Mr Smith----I was told to expect you here. 2. He must have known what we wanted. 3. We may have read the same report. 4. He can’t have slept through all that noise. 5. There’s someone outside----who can it be? 6. What can they be doing? 7. These pills might help to cure your disease. 8. You could be right, I suppose.
情态动词 肯定的推测 对将来 + V. 常见must be + V. 对现在 对过去 + V. + have done + be doing
+ V. + have done + be doing 可以用not表示“可能不” + V. + be doing + V. + be doing + have done
+ have done
may 1. I don't know where she is, she _______ be in Wuhan. must be marking 2. At this moment, our teacher ________________
our exam papers.
must have rained 3. The road is wet. It ________________ last night.
must have been looking 4. Your mother ______________________ for you.
may (might) have been hurt 5. Philip ________________________ seriously in the car accident. 菲利普可能在车祸中受了重伤. 6. ---Linda has gone to work, but her bicycle is still here. may (might) have gone ---She _____________________ (go) by bus. 7. Mike ________________ his car, for he came to can’t have found
work by bus this morning.
? Language points for Reading I ? Language points for Reading II
1. starve 1) starve : to cause a person or an animal to suffer severely or die from hunger挨饿，饿死 Millions of people starved to death during the war. 2)starve for sth 渴望获得某物，缺乏 The homeless children are starving for love. 3) 感觉很饿（仅用于进行时） When will the dinner be ready? I’ m starving.
starvation n. die of starvation: starve to death starvation wages 不够维持基本生活的工资 2. days/years/…of plenty = time when very many necessities, esp. food and money are available. 富裕的日子/年月/生活 You have a life of plenty. What would you be worried about?
3. honor v. = respect sb. Will you honor me with a visit? 如蒙造访，十分荣幸。 honored guests 贵宾 I feel highly honored by the kind things you said about me.
honor un. show honor to sb＝ show respect to sb. honor cn. 带来光荣的人/物 Liu Xiang is an honor to our country.
Nothing satisfies him; he is always complaining. The government tries its best to satisfy people’s needs.
satisfaction n. 满意、令人满意的人/物 satisfied (人)满意的 satisfying/ satisfactory令人满意的 The teacher was satisfied with his satisfying/ satisfactory answer.
5. harm : 1) n. damage, injury 损坏，伤害 do harm to …＝ harm Smoking does harm to our health. do more harm than good弊大于利 If we try to solve the problem in this way, it will do more harm than good. 2) vt. cause harm to The event harmed his reputation. come to harm 受到伤害 I will go with her to make sure she comes to no harm. 我要跟她一同去以免她受到伤害。
6. in memory of = as a way of remembering The monument was built in memory of the little hero. The museum was built in memory of the famous scientist. in praise of 歌颂 in honor of 为纪念 in celebration of 为庆祝 in search of 为寻找
7. dress up vi . 穿上盛装 There is no need to dress up; come as you are. dress (sb) up in sth/ as sb 化装打扮 Children love dressing up. She dressed herself up as a monster. dress vi 穿衣， 打扮 Waiting for a moment; I’m dressing. She dresses well (on very little money.) dress vt. dress sb. in… It takes time to dress the baby. The old lady is neatly dressed in black.
8. play a trick on… 捉弄
The naughty boy loves playing tricks on others. trick 玩笑、 恶作剧、 诡计 do/perform a trick 玩把戏
9. custom n. 风俗、习俗 So many countries, so many customs. Social customs are different from country to country. It is the custom (for sb) to do sth 做??.是一种习俗/惯例 It is the custom for the Japanese to take off their shoes when they get into a hall. It is the custom for an Arab to stand close to his friend when talking. custom “风俗习惯”－社会或团体许多人长期 形成的习惯 habit 一个人的习惯习性
10. award n. 1) thing or amount awarded 奖金奖品 she showed us the athletics awards she had won.
2) decision to give sth, made by a judge, etc 裁定决定 the award of a scholarship 奖学金颁发决定
3) money paid to a student at university, etc to help meet living costs, grant 助学金 玛丽没有申请奖学金的资格. Mary is not eligible for an award.
award v. 颁发给予 award sth (to sb.) award sb. Sth 裁判员判断决赛双方分数相同. The judges awarded both finalists equal points.
11.admire vt. 1) 钦佩赞赏羡慕 admire sb/sth (for sth) They admired our garden. I admire him for his success in business. 2) express admiration of (sb/sth) 表示赞赏夸奖? 难道你不想夸夸我的新房子吗？ Aren’t you going to admire my new house? n. admirer: person who admires sb/sth I’m not a great admirer of her work. admiration
12. look forward to (doing )sth anticipate sth with pleasure I am looking forward to seeing you again. 13. as though/if It looks as if it is going to rain. I treat you as if I were your mother. He looks as though he were ill. They behaved as though nothing had happened.
1. turn up 1) appear 出现 他到目前还没有出现。 He hasn’t turned up so far. 你总是迟到!(做事慢慢吞吞的) You’re always turning up late for everything! 2)调大声音，力量
请把火调大一点。 Please turn up the fire/tap.
2. word 1） promise保证，承诺 I give you my word that I will keep it a secret. He always keeps his word; he is a man of his word.
keep one’s word in a word in other words wordy 罗嗦唠叨的
2） 词，单词 What’s the English word for this? 3) speech/conversation 谈话交谈 have a word/have words with sb.
我想和你谈一下。 I’d like to have a word with you.
3. hold one’s breath = stop breathing for a time 屏息 当那个女孩看到那条蛇的时候，她屏住呼吸。 The girl held her breath at the sight of the snake. 所有的美国人都屏住呼吸看谁会赢得竞选。 All America held its breath to see who would win the election.
take (one’s) breath 呼吸 get one’s breath 喘过气来 be out of breath 喘不过气来
4. apologize apologize to sb for (doing) sth = say sorry to sb for doing sth
你必须为你的粗鲁行为向老师道歉。 You must apologize to the teacher for being so rude. apology n. make an apology to sb for (doing) sth
5. drown (drowned, drowned ) 1) 浸，泡 洪水淹没了街道和房子。 The floods drowned the streets and houses. 厨师把水果浸在奶油里。 The cook drowned the fruit with cream. 2） 淹死 河里有一个落水的人。
There is a drowning man in the river. 借… 消愁 drown one’s sorrow/sadness in…
6. remind sb. of sth提醒某人某事 remind sb to do sth remind sb that… 他提醒我那个承诺。 He reminded me of my promise. 他提醒我要早起。 He reminded me to get up early. 他提醒我本应该小心点。 He reminded that I should have been more careful.
不念旧恶十分难得。 It’s best to forgive and forget. 请原谅他的粗鲁吧。 Please forgive him for his rudeness. forgiving adj. 宽仁的，宽大的 forgiveness n. 宽恕 ask for forgiveness receive forgiveness
copyright ©right 2010-2020。