Module 1 Basketball
Period 1 Introduction and Reading
Do you like basketball? Why or why not?
Which of these words would you use to describe basketball?
boring complicated dangerous exciting fast simple slow
How much do you know about the basketball match ?
1) How many teams are there in the basketball match? Two teams. 2) How many players does each team have on a basketball court during the match? Five players.
3)What are they? 篮框 球篮
4) What are the forwards doing — attacking or defending? Attacking. A forward is an attacking player,
who tries to score points.
5) What are the guards doing — attacking or defending ?
defend: vt.防守（in a match guard is a defending player, who Defending.toA prevent your opponents tries to stop the forwards scoring. from getting points）
6) What is the referee doing ? Watching and controlling the game.
7) Do you know the following basketball terms?
前锋 后卫 中锋 灌篮 篮板球 跳投 定投 三分球
power forward （大前锋） forward small forward （小前锋） guard shooting guard (得分后卫) point guard(控球后卫)
center slam dunk rebound jump shot set shot three-point shot
8) What is the number one basketball league ([li:ɡ] 联赛) in the world?
What is the NBA?
NBA stands for the National Basketball Association ________________________________. It is the number one basketball league in the world. It was called _______ the Basketball Association of America _________________________________ in 1946 and it changed its name in 1949 ______.
1.Are the NBA and BAA the same organization? Yes, they are now. 2.Are all the NBA teams in the same country? No, they aren’t. (USA and Canada). 3.What is the difference between an amateur team and a professional team? The players in a professional team get paid. It is their job to play basketball.
Do you know them?
Act 1.Read the information about Michael Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain answer the questions in Act 1 on P2. 1 Did Jordan and Chamberlain ever play against each other? No, they didn’t. 2 How much taller was Chamberlain than Jordan? 19cm. 3 Who scored more points in his career? Jordan. 4 How old was Chamberlain when he died? adj .coming 63. one after the other without interruption 5 Which record do they both hold? Consecutive seasons leading scorer.
Reading and Vocabulary
Act 1. Skim the text to get general ideas.
What does the two titles mean?
1.“Michael – Head and Shoulders Above
Our heads and shoulders are always above stilt: n. one of two long pieces of wood the rest of the other parts of body. So it with supports for the feet which allow you means Michael is and much better than the others. to stand walk high above ground
―The stilt‖ and ―the tower‖ means that he is very tall. Chamberlain was 217 centimeters. So the title means he was not only tall but also full of power and magic on the basketball court.
2.“Wilt the Stilt – the Tower of Power!”
Para. 1 Read A. Michael Jordan opened his own Act2.(1) Passage 1 and conclude restaurant and even acted in a film. the main idea of each paragraph. Para. 2 B. There is only one word to describe
Para. 3 Para. 4
Michael Jordan (the best player in the world) — awesome! C. Michael Jordan became the top scorer in the NBA in his first season (19841985). D. During the 1990’s, Michael Jordan was probably the best-known athlete in the world. E. Michael Jordan, the second player to score more than 3,000 points in a season, made contributions to the Bulls and the United States Olympic Basketball Team. F. Michael Jordan, who once retired from the sport, rejoined the Bulls and was admired by his fans.
Act 2. (2) Answer the following questions.
1. Which basketball team did Michael Jordan play for? The Chicago Bulls, the United States Olympic Basketball Team, and the 华盛顿奇才队 Washington Wizards. Paragraph 1 ,3and 4 in passage 1. 2. How many times did Michael Jordan’s team win the NBA title? 6 times (1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998). Paragraph 3 and 4 in passage 1. 3. Why do the fans admire Jordan so much? Because of his athletic ability, his motivation and his confidence. Paragraph 4 in passage 1.
Act 3.(1) Read Passage 2 and conclude the main idea of each paragraph.
Para. 1 Para. 2 Para. 3 Para. 4 A. Wilt Chamberlain played for four teams and was named the MVP. B. Wilt Chamberlain held his own record. C. Wilt Chamberlain deserves the title ―outstanding player of his generation‖. D. Wilt Chamberlain, the first player to score more than 3,000 points in a season, used to have various health problems in his childhood.
E. Wilt Chamberlain was much better than all the other players of his generation.
Act 3. (2) Answer the last 3 questions in EX.2 on P2. 1.How many basketball teams did Wilt Chamberlain play for? 4 teams. 2.Which were the first and last teams Wilt Chamberlain played for? Philadelphia Warriors/ Los Angeles. 3.Why is Wilt Chamberlain called the Tower of Power ?
Because he was very tall and strong.
Act 4. FinishEX.3 on P4.
1. Michael Jordan is the best-known athlete in the world. T 2. Jordan finished his studies before he joined the Chicago Bulls. F 3. Jordan was the second person to score more than 3000 points in a season. T 4. Jordan made a film in which he acted with a cartoon character. T
5. Wilt Chamberlain was taller than his brothers and sisters. T 6. Chamberlain was a strong child. F 7. The NBA changed their rules to try to stop Chamberlain being so successful. T 8. Chamberlain played for the same team for the last five years of his career. T
What can we learn from the two stars?
最出名的运动员 顶尖球员 为…队效力 荣膺最有价值球 员 篮球运动史上 上大学 以平均每场28.2 分的成绩 得分超过3000 连续7个赛季 平均分 获得总冠军 梦之队 夺得金牌 the best –known athlete the top scorer play for be named the most valued player in the history of the game attend the university with an average of 28.2 points per game score more than 3000 points 7 consecutive seasons the average number of points win the NBA championship the Dream Team win the gold medal
夺得金牌 重新加入 退出体坛 运动能力 挽救…避免… (比赛)打成平局 走向罚球线 罚了两次球 每次 把球直接送进篮 框 闭着眼睛 离开篮坛 和…一起 卡通人物 令人敬畏的 win the gold medal rejoin retire from sport athletic ability rescue … from… end a game on a tie step to the line make two free throws each time throw the ball straight through the basket have one’s eyes closed off the basketball court alongside cartoon character awesome
平均每场得分超过 50 曾经，在某一时刻 篮球巨人 立刻获得成功 单场比赛 迄今为止还没有人 做到那样 结束他的职业生涯 到…为止 保持多项记录 毫无疑问 无愧于这个称号 一代杰出球员 average over 50 points per game at one point the giant player be an immediate success a single game No one has ever one that since. end his career by the time hold many records there is no doubt that … deserve the title outstanding player of his generation
Act. 5 Match the words with their meanings (Act 4 on P4)
alongside awesome consecutive dream team gold medal league motivation score season
1. The first prize in an Olympic event gold medal score 2. (to get) points or goals in a game 3. An adjective meaning one after another consecutive 4. A group of teams playing against each other league 5. The time of the year when teams play against season each year 6. The best group of players that you can dream team imagine 7. Something that makes you want to do motivation something awesome 8. An adjective meaning fantastic alongside 9. A word meaning next to
Act 6. Choose the correct meanings。
1. averaged over 50 per game A. scored more than 50 points per game B. sometimes scored more, sometimes less than 50 points per game 2. for an entire season A. for part of a season B. for the whole season 3. the giant player A. the very tall player B. the very young player 4. an immediate success A. a success after a few years B. a success as soon as he started 5. He deserves the title. A. It is right that he has the title. B. IT is not right that he has the title. 6. the outstanding player of his generation A. the best player of all time B. the best player of his time
copyright ©right 2010-2020。