Module 5 Great People and Great Inventions of Ancient China Introduction +Reading and Vocabulary
Introduction-1 Words (5m) Read the following words and make sure you
read them correctly and understand them.
equal look after philosophy state thinker importance philosopher ruler teachings treat war
Can you make some sentences with these words?
Introduction-2. Matching (4m)
1. organized political community forming part of a country 2. A person who studies or teaches philosophy. 3. Search for knowledge and understand of the nature and meanings of the universe and of human life. 4. A person who rules or governs. 5. being important.
1. state 2. philosopher 3. philosophy
5. importance 6. treat 7. teaching
Introduction –3 Practice (5m) Complete the gaps with the In ancient China, private teachers traveled from words. philosophy state explaining their p________ state to s_______
Confucius was the most important of the ancient Chinese p________ Confucius’s t_________ philosophers teachings influenced society for more than 2000 years. Other thinkers important t_______ included Mencius and Mozi. All importance three teachers believed in the i_________ of kindness and good government. Mencius’s ideas were very similar to those of Confucius, but some of Mozi’s teachings t_________ were very different. For example, he hated war the idea of w_____ and believed that strong people should l_____________ weaker people.
1. Man is born good. 2. All human beings are equal. 3. The family is important. We are members of a group. 4. Treat others in the way you want to treated. 5. People are more
1. Which ideas are taught by Confucius? 2. Which idea do you agree with most and why?
1. Say three things you know about Confucius. 2. Say what you know about Mencius and Mozi.
Reading & Vocabulary 1.Brainstorming (3m) Collect some information about these philosophers of ancient China.
孔子（前551～前479） 名丘，字仲尼。春秋后 期伟大的思想家、教育 家，儒家的创始人。鲁 国人。是儒家学派的创 始人，提出了“仁”的 思想，是中国古代著名 的思想家和教育家。 Confucius
孟子(前372—前289) 名轲，战国中期鲁国 邹人。受业于子思(孔 子之孙，名)之门人， 曾游历于宋、滕、魏、 齐等国，阐述他的政 治主张，还曾在齐为 卿。晚年退而著书， Mencius 传世有《孟子》七篇。 他是战国中期儒家的
墨翟（公元前 468—376），人 们尊称墨子。他是 战国初年的鲁国人， 大约生于公元前 468年，死于公元 前376年。
Reading & Vocabulary -2.Fast-reading (5m) Read the passage quickly and answer the following questions.
1) Which ancient(古代的) philosophers were mentioned in the passage?
Confucius, Mencius and Mozi.
2) What did they all believe in?
The importance of kindness, duty and order in society,man is kind and the importance of government.
3) In what way were Confucius’s ideas different from Mozi’s idea?
Mozi’s idea of love was different from the Confucian idea of kindness.
Reading & Vocabulary 3.Detailed-reading (6m) Read 1. Mozi stressandimportance of kindness, again the decide which duty and order in society. statements are true or false.
2. Mencius’ teachings were very similar to Mozi’s. 3. Mencius was brought up by his grandmother. 4. Mencius resigned because the ruler didn’t pay him. 5. Mencius believe that man is good, and the rulers were more important than people.
Reading & Vocabulary -4. Comprehension(10m)
Confucius is a great philosopher ______________ whose ideas have influenced greatly ____________ the Chinese society for more than 2000 years. stressed He ________ the importance duty order kindness of__________, ______ and ______ in society.
thinker Mencius was a ________ whose teachings were very similar to that of Confucius. He held ________ position an important ________ in the government of a state, but he _______ later to travel from state to resigned principles state to teach the _________ of Confucius, following because the ruler wasn’t ___________ advice his__________.
He believed that man is good, and people were rulers more important than _____. He suggested that the government should not treat people badly.
Mohism Mozi founded the __________. Born in a poor family, he became famous for his unusual clothes behaviour and_________. Though his beliefs were similar _________ to those of Confucius, his idea of love different from was ___________ Confucian idea of kindness. He human beings taught that we should love all ______________, and look after those who are weaker than ourselves. equal He believed that all men were_________, and he war was against the idea of _______.
Reading & Vocabulary -5.Practice (6m) Read the passage again and check the exercise on Activity 1,2 and 3 Page 42.
? The key to Activity 1 1. principle 2. found 3. belief 4. order 5. bring up
1. stressed 2. position 3. follow sb’s advice 4. resign 5. adviser 6. influential
? The key to Activity 2
? The key to Activity 3 1. A 2. B 3. B 4. B 5. A
Reading & Vocabulary 6.Discussion (5m)
1. What do you know about Confucius, Mencius or Mozi? 2. Which of their teachings do you like best? And why?
Try to find some information
about the these three
philosophers of ancient China and their philosophies.
Module 5 Great People and Great Inventions of Ancient China Grammar 1 Function Vocabulary and Speaking Pronunciation
Grammar 1-1. Presentation(5m) Read the sentences below and underline the relative clauses.
1. Ancient China was a place where states were often at war with each other. 2. But it was also a time when there were many great philosophers. 3. Confucius is the philosopher whose influence has been the greatest. 4. Mozi was another teacher who was very influential. 5. He came from a family which was very
Grammar 1-2. Presentation(3m) Answer the following questions.
? What is the relationship between the underlined phrases and the nouns before them? ? Does the underlined phrases give essential or extra information? ? Can you find more sentences like these in the text?
? More relative clauses 1. Mencius was a thinker whose teachings were very similar to those of Confucius. 2. Mozi was another teacher who was very influential. 3. He spent many years trying to find a state where people would follow his teachings.
Grammar 1-3. Summary(5m) Do activity 2 on page 44
? 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.
Keys A A B A B A
1. Who follows a word referring to a 2. 3. 4. 5.
person. Which follows a word referring to a thing. Instead of which you can say that. Where follows a word that refers to a place. When follows a word that refers to time. Whose means of whom.
Grammar 1-4. Practice(5m) Do activity 3 and 4 on page 44
? Key to activity 4
? 1. 2. 3. 4. 5.
Key to activity 3 E A B C D
2. where 3. when 4. whose 5. whose
Grammar 1-5. Practice(5m) Make up sentences.
1. Mencius wrote a book which________________. 2. Mencius came from a part of the world where_______________. 3. This was a period when____________________. 4. Mozi was a man whose ____________________. 5. Mozi was a teacher whose ___________________.
Summary of the grammar
引导词 关 系 代 词 who whom which that whose+ 名词 (=of whom/which+the+名 词) 地点词 状 where (=介词at/in/from---+which) 时间词 状 when (=介词at/on/in---+ which) 先行词 人 人 物 人或物 人或物 成分 主，宾 宾 主，宾 主，宾 定
关 系 副 词
Function -1 Presentation (3m)
1. Mencius believed that the reason why man is different from animals is that man is good.
2. Often, the reason why people are unhappy is that they do not have enough love.
Please underline the words that are the same in both sentences.
? Can you give more expressions that are used to give reasons? ? ? ? ? ? The reason why… is that… …because… …because of… Since / As… As a result of
Function -2 Practice. (5m)
? Rewrite the sentence.
I like reading about ancient China because the philosophy is very interesting.
The reason why I like reading about ancient China is that the philosophy is very interesting.
Do Activity 2 on page 45 (do in pairs orally)
? The key to Activity 2 1. The reason why we remember the ancient philosophers is that their ideas are important. 2. The reason why I bought the book is that it is about philosophy. 3. The reason why Mencius resigned was that the ruler was not following his advice. 4. The reason why Mozi hated the idea of war was that he thought people should
Vocabulary and speaking-1. Vocabulary(5m) Learn the following words.
a sense of responsibility --responsible duty --honesty --justice --kindness --love --respect ---
dutiful honest just kind lovable
Vocabulary and speaking-2. Practice(5m) Choose the proper words to fill in the blanks.
1. If a judge does the right thing, we say he justice do the ______________. 2. If a person doesn’t tell lies and is honest, we say he is a person of honesty ______________. 3. If you always try to do your work well, we responsibility say you have a sense of _____________.
Vocabulary and speaking-3. Speaking(5m)
a sense of responsibility honesty justice kindness love respect duty
Please discuss with your partner and put these ideas in order of importance in society. Explain why. I think that … and… are the most important ideas because… The reason why I think… is the most important idea is that…
? Listen and repeat the following sentences . Pay more attention to the sound links. 1. Let’s go out. 2. Who are they? 3. It was the end of the story. 4. I’ll buy it tomorrow. 5. Please go in. 6. I don’t know who anybody is. 7. We agreed to do it.
Try to finish the grammar
exercise in Workbook and have a
good revision of the Relative Clauses.
Module 5 Great People and Great Inventions of Ancient China Listening and Vocabulary Speaking Grammar 2
Listening and Vocabulary – 1. Vocabulary (5m)
afford clock Discovery invention material bark chemist contribution copy farmer invent leaf leather monk paper
print printing silk What Chinese inventions do you think you will hear from the tape? soft spread toothbrush
Listening and Vocabulary – 2. Note-taking (8m) Listen to the tape and try to get the information to fillDatethe form. in of invention inventions
paper printing toothbrush
105AD 868AD 1498AD
Listening and Vocabulary – 3. Dictation (8m) Listen to the tape again and do activity 3 on page 46.
? Key to Activity 3
1. how silk was made. 2. the first real clock. 3. for anther 500 years.
4. a type of print that could move.
5. clean teeth quickly and well.
Speaking –1. Brainstorming (5m)
? Collect the important inventions of the Possible answers: twentieth-century. satellite
plane car computer internet radar wireless telephone … …
Speaking –2. Discussion and debate (10m)
Which of the inventions is the most important? Which is the second most important? Can you explain why you think so? Please list them in order of importance.
Grammar 2 – 1. Exercise (3m ) Do activity 1 on page 47.
? 1. 2. 3. 4. Key to Activity 1 C D B A
Can you find the difference between them?
Grammar 2 – 2. Presentation (5m )
1. It is the country in which silk was first invented. It is the country which silk was first invented in . 2. He is a man of whom China can be proud. He is a man whom China can be proud of. 小结： 先行词+ prep. + which/ whom+ 主语+谓
Grammar 2 – 3. Practice (10m) Do activity 3 and 4 on page 47.
? Key to Activity 3 1. The man of whom I am thinking invented the first real clock. 2. These are the leaves from which silk is made. 3. He is a person of whom everyone has heard. 4. This is the house in which the inventor
? Key to Activity 4 1. We’re in the region in which printing was first invented. 2. It is an invention of which he is very proud . 3. He is a man of whom I am afraid because he has invented something very dangerous. 4. The machine at which you are looking is very old.
Summary of the grammar
关系代词前介词(介词＋which)的确定 1.根据从句中动词与先行词的逻辑关系 e.g. Is that the newspaper ____which you often write articles? 2. 根据从句中动词或形容词的习惯搭配 e.g. Can you explain to me how to use these idioms ______which I’m not sure. 3. 根据先行词与介词的搭配习惯 e.g. 1949 was the year ___which the P.R.C. was founded.
1.This is the car --__which I bought last year.
for 2.This is the car ____which I paid 100$. on 3.This is the car ____which I spent 100$. by 4.This is the car ____which I go to work every day.
without 5.This is the car _________ which I can’t go to work.
by 6.This is the car ____which the old man was
at 7.This is the car ____which a boy threw a stone. about 8.This is the car _________which we talked . of 9.This is the car ____which the window was broken
1.Get more materials about the
inventions to read.
2. Review the grammar part and find more exercise to do.
Module 5 Great People and Great Inventions of Ancient China Writing Everyday English Cultural Corner
Writing -1. Reading (6m)
Read the essay and match the paragraphs with the description.
? 1. 2. 3. 4. Key to Activity 1 D Can you find out the structure of this essay? C A B
? The structure of the essay
Paragraph 1 : the introduction
--- This gives some general facts about
Paragraph 2 : give the arguments for the subject.
Paragraph 3: give the arguments against the
Paragraph 4: the conclusion
--- This gives the writer’s final opinions.
1. How many advantages are described?
Writing -2. Reading (6m) Read the essay again and find the answers to the following questions.
2. How many disadvantages are described?
3. What phrase does the writer use to start the last paragraph? In conclusion
Writing –3. Discussion (6m)
? Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of television and put the related information into the two boxes.
advantages of television
disadvantages of television
Writing –4. Writing (10m)
? The advantages and disadvantages of television Televisions were first used … Televisions have great advantage…. . …
But televisions also have great advantages … …
Writing -5. Presentation(5m)
Show your essay to the whole class
Everyday English-(4m). Paraphrase the following What is the meaning expressions if so
of the phrases?Can you use them to
make up some sentences?
2. They say that…
3. for the first time ever
4. tell the time
5. to give an example
? Key to the exercise:
Everyday English-(3m) Do the exercise on page 48 , using the expressions to complete the conversations.
1. A: They say that…
B: If so… tell the time…
2. A: …To give an example… B: …for the first time ever…
Cultural Corner-1. Prereading(5m) (open answers)
1. What do you know about the Industrial Revolution? 2. Where did it start first?
Cultural Corner-2. Intensivereading(8m)
1. What changes happened with the Industrial Revolution?
Farming life became industrial; mass production was possible; people moved to the cities; the steam engine were invented.
2. What do you know about the development of industry in China?
Cultural Corner-3. Discussion(8m) Compare the Industrial Revolution in Europe and China. (open answers)
Things to compare age changes Working conditions People’s lives Europe China
Cultural Corner-4. Language points(8m) Point out and explain some difficulties in the passage. 1. the second half of the eighteenth century
2. Until then Europe had been a farming
3. for the first time 4. in poor and crowded conditions
1. Get more information about the Industrial
Revolution. 2. Finish off the writing part in Workbook and
write a passage of the invention of paper.
Language Date Bank
?Language points for Reading
Language Date Bank
1. In ancient China, private teachers
traveled from state to state explaining their philosophy. from + n.+ to + n. 从一个…到另一个… from house to house to end from side to side night from morning to from beginning
2. Confucius’s teachings influenced society for more than 2000 years. influence n. /v. 影响 Influenced by the teacher, I took up the study of medicine. have an influence on / upon 对…有影响
Language Date Bank
influential adj. 力的 比较: effect
effective adj. 有影响
n. 影响, 效果,作用
Language Date Bank
3. Other important teachers included Mencius and Mozi. 比较: other , another, others and the other one … , another… one …, the other… one another each other one after another include 包含,包括 (侧重包含范围)
Language Date Bank
4. Mencius’s ideas were very similar to those of Confucius, but some of Mozi’s thoughtw were very different. be similar to 与…类似 Your views on education are similar to mine. in a similar way similarly similarity those 代替前面提到的 the + 复数可数名 词
Language Date Bank
5. Man is born good. be born 生来就是, 后接adj. n. to do. He was born rich. No one is born to succeed in life. born 可作定语, 天生的 a born teacher/ poet
Language Date Bank
6. All human beings are equal. equal adj. / n./ v. 相同的, 同等的/ 平等 / 等于 Women demand equal pay for equal work. Bob is quite equal to the job of running the office. I’m not the equal of Mary in beauty. None of us can equal her, either in beauty of as a dancer.
Language Date want to 7. Treat others in the way youBank be treated. in …way 用…….方法 ,后接定语从句用 that/ in which/ 或省略 Soon I got used to American ways of doing things.
8. I very much agree with statement 4. agree with / to / on I agree with what you said. After a further discussion, both sides agreed on the date for the next meeting.
Language Date Bank
be at war with 与…交战
be similar to bring up
follow one’s advice
copyright ©right 2010-2020。