? Beg you pardon. ? Sounds like a good idea. ? （ I ）Beg you pardon.
? ( It ) Sounds like a good idea..
? ( It ) doesn’t matter.
? ( It ) Sounds like a good idea.
? –Are you thirsty? – Yes, I am .(thirsty). ? His brother isn’t lazy, nor is his sister .(lazy).
? Let’s meet at the same place as (we met) yesterday. 同时省略主、谓语
? –Have you finished your work ? –Not yet. I have not finished my homework yet.
? My brother is a doctor and my sister-in-law (is) a lawyer. （省略相同的谓语动词）
? －Are you leaving for Beijing this Sunday? －I think so. so I’m leaving for Beijing this Sunday. ? －Tom must be free today. －If so, he can help us. so he is free.
? －It is going to rain, isn’t it? －I hope not. not it is not going to rain.
这种用法常见的有：Why so? I hope so. He said so. 及I suppose /believe /hope not. Why not?等等。
2.宾语从句中的省略 宾语从句中常省略连词that，但当有两个并 列的宾语从句时，第二个that则不能省略。
? We all know (that) the earth runs around the sun.
? Mary said (that) she is from American and that she is 16 years old.
3.定语从句中的省略 在定语从句中，that, which, who在从句中 作宾语时可省略。
? I haven’t read the book (that/ which) you’re reading.
4.状语从句中的省略 在以when, while, once引导的时间状语 从句及以if, unless引导的条件状语从句 中和though, although引导的让步状语从 句中，如果从句中的主语与主句中的主语 指同一对象，且从句中含有be动词时，从 句中可省去“主语+be”部分。
? When he was asked what he had done, John just kept silent. ? When he was asked what he had done, John just kept silent. ? If he is free, Jack will go with us. ? If he is free, Jack will go with us.
? Unless he is invited, he won’t come.
? Unless he is invited, he won’t come. ? While he is doing house work, my he father often listens to music. ? While he is doing house work, my father often listens to music.
动词不定式中为了避免重复，省去与前面出现的相同 部分，只保留to，但如果在省略的不定式结构中含有 be，have, have been时，要保留这些词。 ? –Are you going there? – Yes, I’d like to (go there). . ? He didn’t give me the chance, though he had promised to (give me the chance). . ? –Are you an engineer? – No, but I want to be . ? –He hasn’t finished the task yet. –Well, he ought to have .
? I noticed a man to enter the classroom when X I passed by. ? A man was noticed to enter the classroom. to feel 一 这类使役动词 “感”: hear listen to 二 及感官动词主 “听”: have make let 三 要有 “让”: watch notice observe see 四 “看”:
在以if引导的非真实条件句中若含有were, had, should时，常可以省略if而将were, had, should 置于句首。
If I were you, I’d give the AIDS patient a hug.
? Were I you, I’d give the AIDS patient a hug. If I had a lot of money, I’d aid the poor children. ? Had I a lot of money, I’d aid the poor children.
? Should there be bird-flu, what would we do?
在含有表示“命令、要求、建议、许可”或“禁止” 等意义的名词性从句中使用“should + 动词原形” 表示虚拟语气的，should常可以省略。如： ? He suggest we (should)set out right away. should
? His suggestion is that we (should) set out should right away.
? The order that we (should) stay where we should are is very serious and severe. ? It’s very important that students (should) should study hard at school.
Exercises about Ellipsis.
I. Choose the best answers.
1)----Tomorrow is a holiday. Why are you doing your homework? -----I am doing these exercises now so that I won’t have _____ on Sunday. A. it B. them C. for D. to
2)----Shall I invite Ann to my birthday party tomorrow evening? ----Yes. It’ll be fine if you______. A. are B. can C. invite D. do 3)---- Aren’t you the manager? ---- No, and I______ A. don’t want to B. don’t want to be C. don’t want be D. don’t want
4)---I’ll be away on a business trip. Would you mind looking after my cat? ---Not at all______. A. I’ve no time B. I’d rather not C. I’d like it D. I’d be glad to 5)---- Won’t you have another try? ---- ________. A. Yes, I will have B. Yes, I won’t have C. Yes, I won’t D. Yes, I will
7)----Do you think it will snow tomorrow? ----______? A.I don’t think B. No, I don’t think C. I don’t think so D. No, I don’t so 8)----Have you fed the cat? ----No, but______. A. I’m B. I am C. I’m just going D. I’m just going to
1. ---I won’t do it any more. ----_______? A. Why don’t B. Why don’t do it any more C. Why not D. Why not to 2. Although ____ to stop, he kept on working. A. tell B. telling C. having told D. told 3. ---Will you waste time and money on that? -- -Certainly_______. A. I not B. don’t C. not D. no
4. ----Mary didn’t attend the lecture, did she? ----Yes, she_______. A. attended B. didn’t attend C. didn’t D. did 5. ---What’s John doing? --- _______ newspapers in the room. A. She reading B. She reads C. To read D. Reading
11. ____ I had time, I would have run round that lake again. A. If B. Unless C. Had D. When 12. ---What do you think made Mary so upset? --- _____ her bicycle. A. As she lost B. Lost C. Because of losing D. Losing
1. — Would you like some more tea? — _______, please.（NMET2005，全国卷II，12） A. No more B. Just a little C. I’ve had enough D. Yes, I would 2. — It’ll take at least 2 hours to do this! —Oh, _______! I could do it in 30 minutes. (NMET2005，上海 39) A. come on B. pardon me C. your are right D. don’t mention it
3. — How about putting some pictures into the report? — _______ A picture is worth a thousand words. （NMET2005，江苏，24） A. No way. B. Why not? C. All right? D. No matter.
4. When ____ help, one often says ―Thank you.‖ or ―It’s kind of you.‖ (NMET2005，福建，33) A. offering B. to offer C. to be offered D. offered
5. — Why didn’t you buy the camera you had longed for? — I planed to, but I was ￡ 50 ____. （NMET2005，福建，34） A. fewer B. less C. cheap D. short
6. — Would you mind my coming over and having a look at your new garden? My little son’s curious about those roses you grow.‖ — ______. You’re welcome. (NMET2005，湖北，25) A. Yes, I do B. Never mind C. Yes, please D. Not at all
7. Tom: Mike, our team will play against the Rockets this weekend. I’m sure we will win. Mike: _____! （NMET2005，广东，21） A. Congratulations B. Cheers C. Best wishes D. Good luck
8. Tara: This is Tara Patel from cotton House in Kidderminster. Could I speak to Mr. Smith, please? Smith: ______ (NMET2005，广东，22） A. Hello! B. I’m Mr. Smith. C. Who are you? D. Speaking
9. — My family usually goes skating for vacation. I like skating, but I want to try something different this year. — _______ （NMET2005，重庆，22） A.Let’s go. B. Cheer up. C. Like what? D. Take care.
10. — Have you been to New Zealand? — No, I’d like to, _____. (NMET2005，山东，21） A. too B. though C. yet D. either
11. — Could you do me a favor and take these books to my office? — Yes, _______ （NMET2005，山东，22） A. for pleasure B. I could C. my pleasure D. with pleasure
12 . — Let’s go to a movie after work, OK? —_____ (NMET2005，山东，33） A. Not at all. B. Why not? C. Never mind. D. What of it?
copyright ©right 2010-2020。