Using language (2)
Look at the four pictures and think about the questions.
Which object do you think would be the most expensive? If you could h
ave one of these objects as a present, which would you choose? Why?
Listen and answer the questions.
1.Where are they?
In a shop.
2. Did all three students arrive at the same time?
No. 3. Who recommended the art book? Wang Pei.
Number the presents 1-4 to show the order in which you hear them discussed.
Listen again and answer the questions.
1. Who arrived late? Xiao Wei. 2. Why did they decide not to get the vase for Mr. Hang? It was too expensive. 3. Why did Steve Lee wish they had talked to Mr. Hang’s wife before they went shopping? Mrs. Hang would probably have known what to get Mr. Hang.
4. Which present did Wang Pei prefer?
At first he liked the book but later he thought the wall hanging would be best. 5. Which present do you think the students will get? Give a reson. I think they will probably get the wall hanging because the others seem to respect Wang Pei’s opinion. Also, they know Mr. Hang likes that type of wall hanging.
Can you name some styles of Chinese painting?
meticulous painting (gongbi hua), ink and wash painting, water-colour painting, oil painting, religious painting , flowerbird works , Chinese landscape
What is your own preference for particular style of art works?
Look at the artworks below. In what period of Chinese history do you think they were created? Discuss with your partner.
Listen to Zhang Lin's talk all the way through. Try and number the artworks 1-6 to show the order in which he talks about them.
Listen again to Parts 1-3 and add the historical period when each was made.
Tang Dynasty Part 1
First century AD Part 3
Listen to the whole text and complete the chart.
BC After Buddhism Tang Dynasty Yuan Dynasty Modern art 1. Artists experimen t with Western techniques and styles in their work. 2. Western influence can be seen in some modern paintings.
1. Human 1. The 1.Architecture, figures and Chinese traditional sculpture and pictures of style of artists still life painting painting became started began to have was well popular. to developed. 2. Artists religious create 2. Humans stressed one themes. art over and scenes part of the 2. Artists were scenery to of palace 7,000 show their good at life were years feelings, drawing popular thoughts and ago. small delicate for hopes painting at through their figures this time paintings.
Work in groups and talk about your favorite artist or style.
Sample dialogue 1 S1: Who are your favorite Chinese artists? S2: I’d prefer the Chinese famous painter Qi Baishi, who is a master of traditional Chinese realistic paintings. He is good at combining two kinds of techniques: traditional Chinese realistic painting and freehand brushwork in traditional Chinese painting. S1: Would you like any western artists? S2: Yes, of course. I prefer the Italian artist Giotto di Bondone. He is well-known for his rediscovery of the third dimension
Sample dialogue 2 S1: Which style would you prefer, two – dimensional or three-dimensional? S2: I prefer two-dimensional style. My favorite art style is photography. My ideal is to be a photographer. Images and information can be presented to thrill and inspire people. S1: I’d rather like three dimensional style. I like pottery very much
Sample dialogue 3 S1: There are many kinds of folk arts in China, such as paper cutting, kites, jade and other stone carvings, etc. what kind of Chinese art do you like best? S2: I enjoy paper cutting very much. The crafts use simple materials. S3: I’d rather like clay figures. Chinese folk artists use simple and cheap materials to make small and delicate handicraft. Clay figurine making is a unique folk handicraft of China.
Do you want to make our school more beautiful? What will you do? Is it s good idea for us to take part in beautifying environment?
Look at the two addresses and the date at the beginning of the letter and answer the questions.
Who wrote the letter? Who was the letter written to? When was it written?
Read fast and answer the questions.
1. Why do they become worried?
Lately their class has become worried about the environment at the back of the school and they would like to do something to make their school more attractive.
2. What do they hope the headmaster to do for their project?
They hope their headmaster will give them permission for their valuable plan and help them donate500 dollars.
Read the passage carefully and finish the outline below. Letter from:_____________________ Jo Ryan, class president
the permission and a donation Asking for______________________ ______________________ of $500 To make the back of the school Reason:________________________ ________________________ more attractive.
1. Make a nature garden that has trees, paths and a pond. 2. Paint the back wall of the school. 3. Paint the rubbish bins
Work will be done by: Parents and students
1.We have done some research and have come up with a plan. come up with (针对问题等)想出; 提供 He came up with good ideas for the product promotion. He could not come up with a proper answer. No one have come up with a convincing explanation of why dinosaur die out.
B the house being untidy, but I can _______ I hate it if it’s not clean. (2011全国卷) A. come up with B. put up with C. turn to D. stick to 【解析】考查短语动词的辨析。come up with想出, 提出；put up with 忍受, 容忍； turn to转向, 翻书到, 求助于, (使)变成； stick to 坚持, 紧跟, 粘住, 忠于。
come up 上升，靠近，升职，提及 come out 出现，显露，出版，发表，结果是 come to 总计(苏醒，复原) come across 碰到(遇到，无意中发现) 偶然拜访，过来，抓住 come down 下降，潦倒，流传 come back 回来，恢复(知觉、记忆等）, 回想起 come by 从旁边走过，得到，获得 come with 伴随 ... 发生 come from 来自，起源于 come around 顺便来访，苏醒，复苏 come true 实现，成真
2. …, but we will need a small amount of money for equipment, plants and paint. a small amount of 少量的… We need a small amount of fuel. The shopkeeper still had a small amount of oranges in his storeroom. a large amount of 大量的… a certain amount of 一些… an enormous amount of 无数的…
3. I am writing to ask the council for permission to do this work and … permission n. 许可; 允许; 同意 ask sb. for permission 请求某人的许可 give sb. permission to do sth. 允许某人做某事 with one’s permission 如果某人许可的话 I can’t give you permission to drive the car. With your permission I'll leave now.
permit v. 允许，许可
4. We would like to turn the empty land at the back of the school into a nature garden．
would like后可接名词、不定式作宾语，一般 不接动名词形式。如： I’d like an apple. Would you like to stay here? would like后也可接不定式作复合宾语，即构 成would like sb. to do sth.句型，意为“想要 某人做某事”。如： I’d like you to meet my parents, too. Would you like me to help you?
turn …into 把…变成…；译为 They are turning waste land into paddy fields. We should turn hostility into friendship. Can you turn the letter into French?
turn 的常见短语： turn about 转身，向后转 turn away 把 ... 打发走 turn back 折回, 返回 turn out 结果是，证明是 turn over 翻身，翻转；把…移交 turn to 翻到；转向；变成；求助于 turn up 出现，到场，出席；调大(音量等) turn off 关掉(电器、水龙头等) turn on 打开(电器、煤气等) turn down 关小(音量等)；拒绝
5. At the moment they look old and the paint is coming off. come off 脱落，离开，举行，实现， 成功，发生 These stains won't come off, I'm afraid. A button has come off my coat. When will the race come off? At last his plan came off. Did your proposed trip to Rome ever come off?
6. When we have finished the work, we hope the council will join us in a celebration morning tea so that the whole school can thank you． so that …以致；目的是…… 1) so that可引导结果状语从句，从句前可用逗 号与主句 隔开。如： The bus broke down, so that we had to walk. 2) so that可引导目的从句，常与may, can, will 等连用；从句在后，从句前无逗号。如： I hired a boat so that I could go fishing.
?List all the ideas that your group have for improving the school environment. Then go through the list and cross out anything that is impossible for you to do. ?Choose one thing from your list and discuss how the change can be achieved. ?Choose one person from your group to tell the class what you would like to do and how it can be achieved.
Sample dialogue 1
S1: Now we have three ideas. Which do you like best? S2: Well, painting picture walls doesn’t seem very sensible. The paintings might look nice at first but after a few years the paintings would fade. S3: Yes and it would be very expensive to repaint them. So I don’t like that idea.
S2: As for digging up the playground and painting a wildlife garden, where would the students do their exercise and PE? You can’t do that! S4: I agree. So do you like my idea of painting playground games onto the playground? S1: Playground games would be fun. We could paint hopscotch pitches as well as a giant snakes and ladders. It would be fun. Who else likes that idea? S2,S3 and S4: We all do.
Sample dialogue 2
S1: Now we have to decide who is going to present our idea to the rest of the class. S2: Why not let Wu Ping do it? She thought of it. S3: That’s a good idea! She will be able to explain it very clearly. S4: Yes and it will be good experience for her to present her idea to the rest of the class. S1: So that’s agreed. Well done everybody!
?Write a letter to the headmaster of the school, giving your opinions and suggestions to make the school more attractive.
Structure of the letter
Useful sentence patterns and transition words
I’m writing to …
opinions I’d like to …; /suggestions I think/ believe/ hope that… It’s possible/necessary for us to conclusion In conclusion / In short / To sum up, I hope … so that …
Useful words and expressions
As far as I know, … What’s more / Moreover, … Not only…but also… In addition / Besides, … For one thing, …for another … On one hand, … On the other hand Therefore / As a result / Thus …
1. Finish your letter to the headmaster of the school. 2. Review the whole unit. 3. Preview Unit 2.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。