A short history of western painting
What do we call these things?
Look at the paintings. Discuss in groups:
1. If you coul
d have three of these paintings on the walls for your classroom, which would you choose? Discuss your reason.
Can you name some famous painting and painters?
Can you match the painting and the painters?
Can you tell the ages of the paintings?
Who are your favorite painters from China?
Comparison of Western and Chinese painting. Time Western Chinese
5th to 15th century AD
15th to 16th century Late 19th century to early 20th century
Which do you to think has a greater 20th century change? today Why?
Let’s know some famous Western artists!
Giotto di Bondone 乔托· 迪· 邦多纳
Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
Raffaello Sanzio (1483-1520) 拉斐尔
The School of Athens
Masaccio(1401-1427), the first great painter of the Italian Renaissance, who used scientific perspective in painting.
Madonna with Child and Angels
Compare the two paintings
Gods are painted
People are painted.
蓬图瓦兹. 埃尔米塔日的坡地 --卡米耶· 毕沙罗
1. What does text mainly talk about ?
2.How many styles of Western painting are mentioned in the text? What are they?
1. What were the artists interested in
from 5th to 15th century AD?
love for God. respect and ____ Creating _______
2. How did Masaccio paint his paintings?
perspective which He drew things in__________,
makes pictures very _______. realistic
3. Why did the impressionists have to paint quickly? 4.what are the characteristics of the
Scanning 1. Which of the following statements is true? A. Paintings in Middle Ages were very realistic. B. Western art has changed a lot since the 5th century. C. Impressionist paintings were painted mainly indoors. D. Modern art began in the Renaissance.
2. At first most people hated the impressionists’ style of painting, because _____. A. their painting were very abstract. B. their painting were very realistic. C. They broke away from the traditional style of painting. D. their paintings were very ridiculous.
3. In the Renaissance, painters___. A. Painted religious scenes in a more realistic style. B. focused more on religion than on humans. C. began to paint outdoors. D. returned to classical Roman and Greek ideas about art.
4. ____discovered how to make paintings look more real by using perspective. A. Giotto di Bondone. B. Masaccio.
C. Claude Monet.
D. Pablo Picasso
5. According to the text, art is influenced less likely by ______. A. social changes B. the way of life C. agriculture D. beliefs of people 6. When did people focus more on people and less on religion? A.From 5th to 15th century AD. B.From 15th to 16th century. C. From late 19th to early 20th century. D. From 20th century to today.
7. Most people hate the impressionists’ style of painting at first because they thought _____. A. their paintings were very abstract B. their paintings were very realistic C. they broke away from the traditional style of painting D. their paintings were very ridiculous
8. What does the text mainly tell us?
A. How religious painting developed.
B. How oil painting developed.
C. How impressionist painting developed. D. How western art developed.
Read the text carefully and fill in the blanks. Age Main aim Characte Artist ristic To Religious, Giotto di The Middlerepresent realistic Bondone 1________ _____ 4 Ages religious (5th to 15th _______ century AD) themes
Age The Renaissance (15th to 16th century)
Charact Artist eristic
To paint Perspect 10 Masaccio 5 people _____ ive, ________ and _______ realistic nature _______ as they really were
Charac Artist teristic
Impression To show Not Not light detailed, mentione ism how 6 ____ and shadow 8 (late 19th _________ d ridiculous to early _______ ______ 20thfell on 2_______ century ) objects at different times of the day
Charac Artist teristic Modern To 3________ Contro Not ____ concentrate versial, mentione art (20th on certain 9abstract _____ d qualities , century to 7________ today) of the realistic object
Detailed Reading: True or False
1. Western art has changed very little over the last seventeen centuries. F 2. Painters in the Middle Ages did not use perspective. T 3. Impressionists painted landscapes. F 4. You cannot recognize any object in abstract modern art. F
5. In the Renaissance most artists painted indoors. T 6. Abstract art is still art style today. F
Listen to the tape and fill in the chart:
Ages Middle Ages Renaissance Time Artist Feature
Ages: Middle Ages Time: 5th to 15th century AD Artist: Giotto Feature: Religious, realistic
Ages: the Renaissance Time: 15th to 16th
Time: Late 19th to
Artist: not mentioned Feature: Not detailed, ridiculous
Ages: modern art Time: 20th century to today Artist: not mentioned Feature: controversial,
Discussion of the text structure
It is a historical report. The first paragraph introduces the topic and the theme of the text and then state what the rest of the text will be about. The rest of the report presents the information in chronological order and relates this to the them of the change in artistic style reflecting cultural change.
The writing style of the passage: The passage is a historical narrative article. It briefly introduces the main features of different Western painting styles during the main periods of times. It also analyzes why and how the styles changed. The short history of Western painting styles is described clearly and vividly, which gives the readers deep impression.
How about its writing characteristic? Arranged well in the order of time; Catch the features of people and things and use adjectives very exactly; Lay the stress on the main subjects and purpose, writing details and briefs properly; Insert the typical paintings to make the passage more vivid and lively.
Now can you tell which period the
following pictures belong to?
Now draw the history of western painting:
Middle Ages, from 5th to 15th century. The Renaissance: from 15th to 16 century Impressionism: late 19th to early 20 century
Modern Art: from 20th to today
Styles in Western art have changed __________. many times Art is _________ influenced by the ________ customs and _________________. faith of a people During the Middle Ages, the main ____ aim represent religious of painters was to _________________ interested in themes. Artists were ___________ love creating respect ______ and _____for God.
In the Renaissance, people became _______ less on focused more on _______and religion _______. Artists tried to paint ______ humans people and ______ ____. nature __ as they really were Masaccio used __________ perspective in his paintings which made people convinced ________ they were ______________ looking through a hole in the wall __ at a real scene.
In the late 19th century, Europe changed a __________ great deal from a mostly __________ society to a mostly industrial ________ agricultural one. The ____________ impressionists were the first to paint outdoors ________. They had to paint ______ and their paintings were not __ quickly as ______________ detailed as those of earlier painters.
Today people accept _____________ impressionists’
________ as the beginning _________ of _______ paintings modern _______. abstract Some modern art is _______while some is ___. realistic art
Work in pairs: What styles of painting there will be in the future?
Read the text more after class.
copyright ©right 2010-2020。